E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cruise Control Indicator on 320d?

10-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
DAN
Private First Class

Drives: E90 320d

Cruise Control Indicator on 320d?

I have just bought a 55 plate E90 320d with only 17k on clock. So far I love it, but there are a couple of issues I wanted to run by you guys....

When I use the cruise control, there is absolutely no indication anywhere on the dashboard that it is active. It IS working - I can set it & change speed by pulling or pushing the paddle and cancel it by pushing it up or down.

I can't however get the button on the end to work which, as the manual seems to indicate, should recall the last set cruise speed.

The displays on the cluster continues to just display the time / outside temperature and there is no other light anwhere to indicate cruise is engaged.

The other thing.... is it normal for the diesel engines to have a slightly squeaky sound (like a squeaky belt or something) when it is a damp/wet day and when the engine is cold?? I can only hear this when the engine is at idle. If I rev it slightly, the sound completely disappears, but returns when it settles at idle again. The issue seems to disappear or get significanty quieter when the engine has warmed up, and I don't recall noticing it the day I picked it up when it was dry.

The car is guaranteed from the company I bought it from and they are happy to correct any problems for me. It's still in warranty (just about) and all work would be carried out by the local BMW dealer. So I'm covered - but I want to try and determin whether these things are normal before I return my car for a couple of days next week...

Thanks in advance!
      10-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Seminole
Colonel

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
When you activate the cruise control it should display the speed it is set to for a few seconds on the bottom display where it shows PRND and the mileage. Also, a indicator should shoot up the ring around the speedometer and stop at the selected speed.

It should look something like this (notice the little white indicator above 80):

10-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
DAN
Private First Class

Drives: E90 320d

Thanks Seminole for your reply. I can see what you are describing outlined in the manual under 'Cruise control with 6-cylinder engines', but the instructions for 4-cylinder engines aren't as clear. Reading it again though, I suppose it doesn't ACTUALLY say it will display anything, but surely it must display SOMETHING? Even if it's just a simple warning light....?

Still not sure why the recall memorised speed doesn't work either....

Anyone else out there with 4 cylinders experiencing the same?
      10-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Seminole
Colonel

Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [3.50]
Hmm, I can't help you there. Over here we only get the 6-cyl engines. Maybe another person from Europe can help you out.
      12-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
xequal

Drives: '06 e90 320d

Send a message via Skype™ to xequal
Hi

Recently bought a manual 320d. I know that the little tick in the outer ring on the speedo should show the set cruise control speed. I know i have the tick marker (when I do test that lights all indicators and moves all needles). But nothing moves when I activate the cruise control.

Ive seen enough similar spec e90s that do this (some older than mine) to know that this is possible. It should only just be a software issue. From some threads I gather that never software updates even remove this feature. (why?)

This is bothering me so much that I am now PM'ing BMW quite regularly to get an answer. The guys at the dealerships are clueless about this.

Please let me know if someone knows the software version that makes this work.

Regards
xequal is offline   South Africa
      12-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
AlanQS
Colonel

Drives: 320d SE Coupe

Garage List
Mine is an 08 E92 but there should be an indication of the speed that has been set in the dash just above the wheel - where things like low fuel, low outside temperature and no seat belt fastened, appear. When you change the set speed using the lever, the new speed should also appear. It looks like there is a fault. Is this how it is described in your manual?

The squeaking noise should not be happening.
      12-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
remmib
General

Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN View Post
When I use the cruise control, there is absolutely no indication anywhere on the dashboard that it is active. It IS working - I can set it & change speed by pulling or pushing the paddle and cancel it by pushing it up or down.

I can't however get the button on the end to work which, as the manual seems to indicate, should recall the last set cruise speed.

The displays on the cluster continues to just display the time / outside temperature and there is no other light anwhere to indicate cruise is engaged.

Thanks in advance!
I've got a 2007 320d. And there shouldn't be any lights in the display indicating it's on.
BUT pressing the end buttom should recall the last set cruise speed. I'd get that checked out at the dealer.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
remmib is offline   Norway
      12-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
rob72
/dev/random

Drives: .

Unless it changed with MY2009, 4-cylinder model cars do not show any indication that cruise control is engaged, which I admit is annoying in the beginning but by now I am used to it and I can feel the difference.

MY2009 cars might have gotten the same indication as recent 1-series in that you get to see the set speed briefly in the display between the speedometer and tachometer.

The resume button at the end of the stalk however should definitely work. I use it all the time.
      01-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
nidget
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 e91

Garage List
2009 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob72 View Post
MY2009 cars might have gotten the same indication as recent 1-series in that you get to see the set speed briefly in the display between the speedometer and tachometer.
I had noticed this when doing the test drive of a 4-cyls MY2009, so I can confirm it's like the 1s... at least for e90 and e91 (the test drive was with an e91).
I don't know why the selected speed is not shown in the speedo -or anywhere else, but in the speedo it's pretty cool- on the 4-cyls 3s. From a loaner 520d I had received for 1.5 months, I can tell for sure the 4-cyls 5s have it in the speedo.

BMW ?
      04-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
raj55
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E91 2009, 320i

My 320i 2009 briefly (few seconds) shows the chosen speed and then vanishes from the screen. If I am not looking at the screen, I am likely to miss it.
raj55 is offline   Sweden
      04-13-2009, 02:33 AM   #11
leee90
Registered

Drives: 320D LCI sport innovation

When the digital display disappears after a few seconds, the big needle on the speedo continues to indicate the set speed and is rarely more than 1 or 2 kph out.......! I thought that was the whole idea of cruise control.
leee90 is offline   Australia
      04-13-2009, 03:54 AM   #12
blue2fire
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 135i

We need somebody to give a complete explanation on this. All i gather is that some people say that it is the same as the 6 cylinder variants while others disagree?

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
blue2fire is offline   Cayman Islands
      06-14-2009, 05:00 AM   #13
Mallard
4 pot warrior

Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [5.00]
the 4 cy and 6 cyl are very different

The 4 cyl, as stated in the user manual , takes a fixed speed position but cannot self regulate speed.

The 6 cyl can self regulate (know as dynamic CC) and also brake and speed up (known as active CC) The 6 cyl versions require a new instrument cluster, "slip ring" and depending on version, new modules and sensors

The 4 cyl. only needs the slip ring contact, and then a coding from the SSS progman.

both systems require a new steering column undercover to allow for the extra arm from the CC
Mallard is offline   No_Country