E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Robbing the e92 M3 for suspension parts



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #133
kiddo
Captain
kiddo's Avatar
18
Rep
966
Posts

 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Madison, WI

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyestsparks View Post
Mine arrived last week (it took about 2 weeks); I haven't had a chance to install it because my car is in the paint shop. I kinda assembled it together but you guys get the idea on how it works. BTW; Is the stock E90 M3 brace black and silver or all black? I'm thinking of painting it all black, What do you guys think?




put it on and tell us the difference will ya?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #134
Josephkao
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
997
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i sedan
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (13)

Anyone actually done and replaced the 4 rear sub-frame bushing?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 12:28 AM   #135
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
37
Rep
1,748
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephkao View Post
Anyone actually done and replaced the 4 rear sub-frame bushing?

Like Harold said it gets the rid of the unexpected funky behaviour in the rear. In short, it changed what I would expect from running stiffer spring so tuning is now predictable instead of volatile.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #136
ECSTuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
ECSTuning's Avatar
United_States
152
Rep
5,420
Posts


 
Drives: Independent Tuning Specialists
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (18)

Send a message via AIM to ECSTuning
We have already done RnD on the e92 M3 rear sway bar on our 335i and have them available here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...aign=postreply

This bar makes a dramatic difference while still utilizing stock end links, we also have a complete kit with all new hardware and end links available at the link above.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 01:54 AM   #137
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
Vudoo4u2's Avatar
63
Rep
2,802
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: It's bobsled time

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to Vudoo4u2
So the conclusive list of the basic parts/installs needed for this grouping of modifications is? (this thread has gotten a bit lengthy...)

looking to go pick up some parts this week
__________________
Canon 14 F2.8 L II : Canon 50 F1.2 L : Canon 24-70 F2.8 L : Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS/L : Canon 5D Mark II : B+W Filters : Photo Whore
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #138
sparkyg
Brigadier General
sparkyg's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
3,493
Posts

 
Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oil Country

iTrader: (5)

Hey Orb and all, great work.

Wow what a labour of love.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #139
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
37
Rep
1,748
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
So the conclusive list of the basic parts/installs needed for this grouping of modifications is? (this thread has gotten a bit lengthy...)

looking to go pick up some parts this week

Hum, I think you could break this down into stages. Just depend how much you want to spend.

Stage 0:

Reduction in under steer

• Front tension link

State 1:

A reduction in under steer with improved handling and feedback. A must for high tuned cars…keep the rear from dog tracking. Give the user the ability to increase spring rates effectively.

• Front tension link
• Sub frame isolator bushings


Stage 1.5

Same as stage 1 but for users that have camber plates.

• Front tension link
• Front wishbones link
• Sub frame isolator bushings


Stage 2:

M3 Equivalent suspension when used with after market suspension and camber plates.

• Front tension link
• Front wishbones link
• Sub-frame isolator bushings
• Rear steering link
• Rear wishbone link
• Rear guide link
• Rear ABS cable bracket

Stage 2.5:

With M 3 rear sway bar.

• Front tension link
• Front wishbones link
• Sub-frame isolator bushings
• Rear steering link
• Rear wishbone link
• Rear guide link
• Rear ABS cable bracket
• M3 Rear sway bar kit - 20 mm (hollow)


Stage 3:

Stage 2 plus the rear camber link/harware and a M3 after market rear shock

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 10-30-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 01:00 AM   #140
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,446
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
A reduction in under steer with improved handling and feedback. A must for high tuned cars…keep the rear from dog tracking.
Quaife ATB LSD or something similar should be at the very top of your list, especially when you mentioned, "A must for high tuned cars..."

Since Orb has first hand experience with these parts, perhaps he would like to tell everyone some advantages and disadvantes of each stage and components(in case someone decides to piece meal it).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #141
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
Vudoo4u2's Avatar
63
Rep
2,802
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: It's bobsled time

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to Vudoo4u2
Orb...youre the best
__________________
Canon 14 F2.8 L II : Canon 50 F1.2 L : Canon 24-70 F2.8 L : Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS/L : Canon 5D Mark II : B+W Filters : Photo Whore
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #142
BMW_TT
Colonel
56
Rep
2,550
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to BMW_TT Send a message via MSN to BMW_TT Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_TT
Nice write up Orb.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #143
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
This is great stuff, but it looks like you left out the M3 strut brace.
I understand that this alone is not a huge difference, but I'm just curious where you would add this into the mix.
Would you put it in Stage 0 or Stage 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Hum, I think you could break this down into stages. Just depend how much you want to spend.

Stage 0:

Reduction in under steer

• Front tension link

State 1:

A reduction in under steer with improved handling and feedback. A must for high tuned cars…keep the rear from dog tracking. Give the user the ability to increase spring rates effectively.

• Front tension link
• Sub frame isolator bushings


Stage 1.5

Same as stage 1 but for users that have camber plates.

• Front tension link
• Front wishbones link
• Sub frame isolator bushings


Stage 2:

M3 Equivalent suspension when used with after market suspension and camber plates.

• Front tension link
• Front wishbones link
• Sub-frame isolator bushings
• Rear steering link
• Rear wishbone link
• Rear guide link
• Rear ABS cable bracket

Stage 2.5:

With M 3 rear sway bar.

• Front tension link
• Front wishbones link
• Sub-frame isolator bushings
• Rear steering link
• Rear wishbone link
• Rear guide link
• Rear ABS cable bracket
• M3 Rear sway bar kit - 20 mm (hollow)


Stage 3:

Stage 2 plus the rear camber link/harware and a M3 after market rear shock

Orb
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #144
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,446
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
This is great stuff, but it looks like you left out the M3 strut brace.
I understand that this alone is not a huge difference, but I'm just curious where you would add this into the mix.
Would you put it in Stage 0 or Stage 1?
You can make up your own stages. Going by Orb's suggestions I think I am at stage 20!

Add driving school as a stage! Understeer/oversteer may be caused by driver input!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #145
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
You can make up your own stages. Going by Orb's suggestions I think I am at stage 20!

Add driving school as a stage! Understeer/oversteer may be caused by driver input!
True, since that is his opinion, but I would like to get his opinion.
In some cases, mods work better when they are in series, and not in parallel.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #146
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
37
Rep
1,748
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
This is great stuff, but it looks like you left out the M3 strut brace.
I understand that this alone is not a huge difference, but I'm just curious where you would add this into the mix.
Would you put it in Stage 0 or Stage 1?
Honestly, this list was from the hip to get few people thinking what they can do. I really wasn’t about how to group stuff other than bushing and suspension links.

The strut bar will do more when you stiffen the suspension up so you could add it any time….it really is novelty piece in the big picture.

Orb

Last edited by Orb; 10-30-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #147
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
37
Rep
1,748
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
You can make up your own stages. Going by Orb's suggestions I think I am at stage 20!

Add driving school as a stage! Understeer/oversteer may be caused by driver input!
Stage 20…is there something you want to share with use all?

I have feeling our cars are setup completely the opposite.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #148
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Honestly, this list was from the hip to get few people thinking what they can do. I really wasn’t about how to group stuff other than bushing and suspension links.

The strut bar will do more when you stiffen the suspension up so you could add it any time….it really is novelty piece in the big picture.

Orb
Thanks!
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #149
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,446
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Harold, how long did it take for your so called "strut brace kit" to come in?
We have received a few M3 strut tower brace kits, but they are going fast! The tension rods and front lower links are in stock as well.

If you need anything, just let me know since I'll be delivering a Code3 IC and AFE intake kit for a 135i racer in the Santa Ana area this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 11:53 AM   #150
jadeddjay
Major
jadeddjay's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,426
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: jackson, ms

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
how much are the tower brace kits?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 02:06 PM   #151
Josephkao
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
997
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i sedan
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddjay View Post
how much are the tower brace kits?
+1 for E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #152
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
We have received a few M3 strut tower brace kits, but they are going fast! The tension rods and front lower links are in stock as well.

If you need anything, just let me know since I'll be delivering a Code3 IC and AFE intake kit for a 135i racer in the Santa Ana area this weekend.
Thanks for meeting me Harold!
I can't wait to put on the wishbones!
I didn't realize that these wishbones were going to add -.75 degrees of camber.
This sounds like a better addition when comparing to the tension struts.

For those that are interested, Harold has a couple more in stock:
http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?ca...3&productId=42

__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #153
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
5
Rep
429
Posts

 
Drives: 06 E46 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA

iTrader: (1)

Perfect alternative to camber plates if you are only looking for a little more camber. Ordered.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #154
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
Perfect alternative to camber plates if you are only looking for a little more camber. Ordered.
Exactly!
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST