E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Mudflap Installation



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY: Mudflap Installation
nexus66
07-03-2005
Let's start with the front ones since these are the easiest!

I'm afraid that this is pretty much a wheel off job, although it might be possible to do it with the wheel on, you'll find it a lot...
  #22  
By kot on 06-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks for a great writeup. I installed the mudflaps no problem. The only thing, maybe someone can help me to figure out: there were two large plastic pegs for the front mudflaps. Anyone knows where they were supposed to go? I did without them and used aluminum screws for the mudflap hole that is deeper in the wheel arch.

2 Asiann: I agree that black mudflaps on a white car stick out too much. But on my Monaco Blue they are barely noticeable.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
By kot on 06-15-2006, 04:45 PM
a tip to simplify installation

to simplify installation:
when it's time to remove the tape from the sticky bands on the mudflap, do not remove the entire tape. Instead, pull out only enough tape to be able to grab it with you fingers once the mudflap is put in place. Once you aligned the mudflap and are ready to fix it in place, carefully pull the tape out to expose the sticky band on the mudflap to the car's bodywork. This way it's much easier to position the flaps perfectly without having to correct their position after the sticky band attaches to the bodywork.
I found it the hard way on the first mudflap and did the other three using these technique .
Reply With Quote
  #24  
By rickmckee on 07-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kot
The only thing, maybe someone can help me to figure out: there were two large plastic pegs for the front mudflaps. Anyone knows where they were supposed to go? I did without them and used aluminum screws for the mudflap hole that is deeper in the wheel arch.
I did without them too. I think they are supposed to go into the holes under the car, but it was too difficlt to push them all the way in so I just used the original screw in ones. I used one of the self-tapping screws that came with the flaps deeper in the wheel arch.

I also found that putting that deeper wheel arch screw can be a bit tough, even with the tires turned to thier max (front out). So I turned them to their max (front in) and that gave me plenty of room to put them in, thereby not having to take the tires off.

Also, I had a bit of a time trying to find where the bracket went on the drivers rear... It is behind the wheel arch in front of the muffler. FYI.

Hope this helps someone else.
Rick
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #25  
By msinfo_us on 07-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Thumbs up

Great DIY. Thank you. I did it under one hour without removing any wheels. I used tip above for selfsealing tape - made my life so much simpler. Thank you. Also, during installation of rear mudflaps I did not take them a part but instead slide them on. It was very easy. I used bigger screws (supplied in a pacage) instead of pushing originals back in place.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
By andy_06xi on 12-03-2006, 10:57 AM
I second the recommendation to use the included self tapping screws in place of the orginal bolts on the rears. I spent 2 hrs trying to get the original bolts back into place before giving up (OK -- this included a trip to HW store to search for longer bolts). Possibly I could have done it, had I removed the rear wheels -- but even so I think I could have only gotten the necessary leverage if the car was fairly high off the ground.

I now think that this is the intended installation. Why else would BMW have included so many self-tapping screws with the flaps? (I still have 1 screw left over, even after replacing the 4 bolts with screws).

On the fronts, I kept the original plastic screws, rather than using the included plastic push pins as these seems much easier to re-install. They use a T25 screw driver.

One other thing that came in useful (if you don't remove the rear wheels) is a really short Phillips screw driver. I used a phillips bit for a socket wrench for this.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
By SoYank on 12-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
at the Stealer and they're cheap.
In the UK a front set costs 24.95 as does a rear set (two sets required). The part numbers are 82160395944 for the front and 82160395945 for the rear. I'm thinking of getting them all around.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
By Mongo on 06-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Painted Splash Guards

New to web site,not sure if photo posted, but I painted the "spalsh" guards (have "mud flaps" on my truck) to help with the 19x9.5 and 19x8.5 M6 rims. Wasn't sure myself until I put them on. Also added the Hamman deck spoiler, nice touch (no bias here).

Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #29  
By FrankoQ on 06-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
New to web site,not sure if photo posted, but I painted the "spalsh" guards (have "mud flaps" on my truck) to help with the 19x9.5 and 19x8.5 M6 rims. Wasn't sure myself until I put them on. Also added the Hamman deck spoiler, nice touch (no bias here).

Nice touch. makes me want to paint mine.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
By kenneth on 06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
When I did mine

Thanks for such a good DIY!

Two things I would like to add. You do not have to remove the wheels. Just need to turn wheel outward, then remove the bottom 2 fender plugs (see original writeup) and the Torx Screw. Place the mudflap (see original writeup), 2 provided plugs and torx screw. I find it easier if spray silicone on the plastic plugs. this way the centre pin is pushed in easier. I had trouble with the first one. Turn the wheel inward, insert the last screw onto the plastic. Start the other side.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
By kenneth on 06-12-2007, 10:32 AM
BTW, I did only the fronts!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
By bartman32 on 06-12-2007, 02:46 PM
I like the white ones. Anyone have pics of a Sparkling Graphite with it?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
By chicagolab on 08-04-2007, 07:07 AM
anyone have pics in tiag with flaps?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
By rambalu80 on 08-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
4
Average 87%
I did mine last week and I just couldn't get the bracket to sit right and finished without it!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
By Rhooki on 11-19-2007, 12:05 AM
I just did the mud flap install on my 2008 328xi.

I did not remove any wheel. It was a bit harder but I have a short screw driver and socket wrench (rachet type) that made the install possible.

The rear installs are the hardest part for me. The ones I got have extra plastic/rubber indented on the holes. Since I wanted to use the existing screws (a bit short), I did shave of a bit of the plastic around these holes just to put the flaps on. Just enough that the original screws can be put back on securely. So, I've only used a few of the self tapping screws (used mostly in the passenger side mudflap). BTW, the brackets (for the screw threads/hole) for the existing screws are hard to find and align but with a good push it work out well. I also used a long 2 inch nail to help me find the existing hole and used this mostly for aligning the flap prior to driving the screws.

The driver side rear's bracket did not came with any nut for the top hole. I figured that on the first post of this DIY that this is not supposed to be secured on top. Anyway, I installed a washer & a nut (had an extra one) that fits exactly at the exposed screw thread where the top part of the bracket is resting on. I just wasn't comfortable with the bracket just resting on top since this might cause some rattling noise without securing this.

Overall, this DIY helped me figure out what went where. I was expecting an installation instruction when the package came but there were none. When I did the mud flaps for my previous 2 cars (both Hondas), the packages always came with installation instructions.

Now, the flaps do look nice on my Sparkling Graphite color.
Last edited by Rhooki; 11-19-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
By Bimmer4Life on 11-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Mudflaps installed

I installed the mud flaps yesterday; pretty straightforward. I followed the DIY and some of the posts on this thread. I could not have done this without you guys. Now my Monaco Blue looks fabulous especially because i have 162 rims with wide tires.
Keep on Modding Guys....
Reply With Quote
  #37  
By bartman32 on 11-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhooki View Post
I just did the mud flap install on my 2008 328xi.

I did not remove any wheel. It was a bit harder but I have a short screw driver and socket wrench (rachet type) that made the install possible.

The rear installs are the hardest part for me. The ones I got have extra plastic/rubber indented on the holes. Since I wanted to use the existing screws (a bit short), I did shave of a bit of the plastic around these holes just to put the flaps on. Just enough that the original screws can be put back on securely. So, I've only used a few of the self tapping screws (used mostly in the passenger side mudflap). BTW, the brackets (for the screw threads/hole) for the existing screws are hard to find and align but with a good push it work out well. I also used a long 2 inch nail to help me find the existing hole and used this mostly for aligning the flap prior to driving the screws.

The driver side rear's bracket did not came with any nut for the top hole. I figured that on the first post of this DIY that this is not supposed to be secured on top. Anyway, I installed a washer & a nut (had an extra one) that fits exactly at the exposed screw thread where the top part of the bracket is resting on. I just wasn't comfortable with the bracket just resting on top since this might cause some rattling noise without securing this.

Overall, this DIY helped me figure out what went where. I was expecting an installation instruction when the package came but there were none. When I did the mud flaps for my previous 2 cars (both Hondas), the packages always came with installation instructions.

Now, the flaps do look nice on my Sparkling Graphite color.
pics! I want to see pics!!!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
By Rhooki on 11-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
pics! I want to see pics!!!
Bartman32, do you just want pics of the car with the mudflaps or the bracket underneath that I talked about?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
By bartman32 on 11-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhooki View Post
Bartman32, do you just want pics of the car with the mudflaps or the bracket underneath that I talked about?
Pics of the mudflaps installed would be good enough.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
By mramgeet@hotmail.com on 01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Name of mudflaps

Could you tell me the name of the mudflaps, i would love to order some.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
By Jaws on 01-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramgeet@hotmail.com View Post
Could you tell me the name of the mudflaps, i would love to order some.
? BMW mudguards.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
By bmr12 on 03-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
40%40%40%
2
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
40%40%40%
2
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 60%
My installation experience

Thought I would add to the knowledge base since this took me a large amount of time today (much longer than any other mud flap installation I've ever done )

On the front flaps, I was able to do it with the wheels still on by steering them one way or another as necessary. You'll need a Torx 25 or 30 (30 seemed to fit best) screwdriver/bit. I didn't have one that big, so off to the hardware store I went.

On the back flaps, as noted above, getting the original screws back in is very difficult. I ended up jacking up the car and taking off the rear wheels. The top screw on each side was very difficult. On the drivers' side, I ended up just using a #8 1" wood screw instead, as it seems to have the extra 1/4" of length necessary. I only realized this after numerous attempts of shaving down the plastic and wish I'd just skipped that part!

In general, this really shouldn't be this hard. Every other mud flap install I've done (Nissan, Honda), has taken 30 minutes for all four tops. Instructions should be provided, or at least replacement screws for the ones that are no longer sufficiently long.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
By rightbrainer on 04-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Put mine on this weekend--no problems. I didn't have the pre-drilled holes in the front wells on my new E93, so had to drill my own and I had to wrestle with the rear bracket pretty hard, but I won in the end. Thanks for the great write up. It was just the confidence builder I needed
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST