E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tire Wear



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
ATLIEN
First Lieutenant
ATLIEN's Avatar
30
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: GSU

iTrader: (0)

Tire Wear

I have 11,000 miles (16 months) on my Michelin PSS and had a wheel balance done. The tech says you have 5/32 on the back and 6/32 on the front and that the rears are about due for replacement. I was expecting 30k out of these tires so to only get 11k is shocking. I guess you have to pay to play and it appears I played too much!!
__________________
2008 BMW 335I
MHD STG 1+
BMS DCI
VRSF 5 IC
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Krynos
Private First Class
Krynos's Avatar
21
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: E93 335i, F10 528i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (0)

Michelin does put a 30,000 mile warrantee on these tires... however it reduces to 15,000 if you have a staggered set up and can't rotate.

I have the same tires and I'm pleasantly surprised by the wear - I was expecting to have to replace the rears at 15,000 based on Michelins data. But 18,000 into them at my last service, the rear tires were rated at just over 50% wear and the fronts at 30% wear.

And no... I don't drive like a little old lady... I enjoy regular mountain runs and drive pretty aggressively often. However I've never done burnouts or donuts or drifting or power slides.

These tires have monumental mechanical grip that puts a grin on my face almost everyday.

So yeah, sounds like you played too much and now it's time to pay up lol
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
jt335i
Captain
jt335i's Avatar
68
Rep
783
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

That’s pretty shocking unless your tires have been set at the improper inflation pressure and the tire alignment is out-of-spec (most common causes of irregular tire wear) since you first got the tires. Just to be sure, I’d get a second opinion from another place and recheck it again just in case they’re not BSing you.

Also, there are several popular ways to check your tire tread depth. One easy way is the penny/quarter test. Simply insert a penny/quarter into your tire's tread groove with the head upside down and facing you. If you can see all of Lincoln's/Washington’s head, your tread depth is less than 2/32 inch and it's time to replace your tires. See the link as well.
http://www.coloradolandtire.com/time...the-signs.html

Name:  penny-20quarter-test.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  59.6 KB

I'm on my second set of PSS's. Got about 35000+ miles on the 1st set. Expect to get similar.
__________________
2010 BMW 335i: Monaco blue metallic/Premium+Sport Auto-Steptronic, BMW PE, Cobb Stage 2
2005 Mustang GT: Redfire metallic/5-spd/Ford Racing (Axle backs, silver Bullitt wheels)/K&N CAI/ Diablo Sport Predator Tuner
1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
ATLIEN
First Lieutenant
ATLIEN's Avatar
30
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: GSU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynos View Post
Michelin does put a 30,000 mile warrantee on these tires... however it reduces to 15,000 if you have a staggered set up and can't rotate.

I have the same tires and I'm pleasantly surprised by the wear - I was expecting to have to replace the rears at 15,000 based on Michelins data. But 18,000 into them at my last service, the rear tires were rated at just over 50% wear and the fronts at 30% wear.

And no... I don't drive like a little old lady... I enjoy regular mountain runs and drive pretty aggressively often. However I've never done burnouts or donuts or drifting or power slides.

These tires have monumental mechanical grip that puts a grin on my face almost everyday.

So yeah, sounds like you played too much and now it's time to pay up lol
I am like you as well. I don't drift or do burnouts but would say that I am not shy with the rod and get on the brakes from time to time. I got an alignment when I bought the tires but it's time for another and I am getting that done tomorrow.
__________________
2008 BMW 335I
MHD STG 1+
BMS DCI
VRSF 5 IC
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
ATLIEN
First Lieutenant
ATLIEN's Avatar
30
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: GSU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
That’s pretty shocking unless your tires have been set at the improper inflation pressure and the tire alignment is out-of-spec (most common causes of irregular tire wear) since you first got the tires. Just to be sure, I’d get a second opinion from another place and recheck it again just in case they’re not BSing you.

Also, there are several popular ways to check your tire tread depth. One easy way is the penny/quarter test. Simply insert a penny/quarter into your tire's tread groove with the head upside down and facing you. If you can see all of Lincoln's/Washington’s head, your tread depth is less than 2/32 inch and it's time to replace your tires. See the link as well.
http://www.coloradolandtire.com/time...the-signs.html

Attachment 1588385

I'm on my second set of PSS's. Got about 35000+ miles on the 1st set. Expect to get similar.
I had an alignment by bmw when I got them and the car has always been true. Maybe too many quick starts as my driving mix is 95% city / 5% highway.
__________________
2008 BMW 335I
MHD STG 1+
BMS DCI
VRSF 5 IC
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
roundle
EXPAT
Netherlands
27
Rep
871
Posts

Drives: 2017 F46 B48; 2011 E91 N52
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

My E91 ZSP had 5 sets of tires in 6 years and 120K miles. The only tires that lasted 30K miles were the Pirelli P-Zero RFT. Not only did they make it the full 30K miles, they never cupped (which is why I bought these tires for a second time 1,5 years ago).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
505
Rep
1,953
Posts

Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: 416

iTrader: (0)

These cars have too much rear toe for the factory spec alignment. Mine would chew through rears until I decided to dial some out and align to my own preferences.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
ATLIEN
First Lieutenant
ATLIEN's Avatar
30
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: GSU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundle View Post
My E91 ZSP had 5 sets of tires in 6 years and 120K miles. The only tires that lasted 30K miles were the Pirelli P-Zero RFT. Not only did they make it the full 30K miles, they never cupped (which is why I bought these tires for a second time 1,5 years ago).
Hmm, I may keep those in mind next time. I love Michelin's but have had success with other brands as well. Yoko's have been good to me since the days of AVS Intermediates!
__________________
2008 BMW 335I
MHD STG 1+
BMS DCI
VRSF 5 IC
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
talisman311
First Lieutenant
12
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: e90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
These cars have too much rear toe for the factory spec alignment. Mine would chew through rears until I decided to dial some out and align to my own preferences.
Camber or toe? You can see the negative camber, especially on sports models when you're standing behind them. I didn't think the toe ankle was all that aggressive.
__________________
2006 e90 330i | Black/Terra | 6MT | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #10
roundle
EXPAT
Netherlands
27
Rep
871
Posts

Drives: 2017 F46 B48; 2011 E91 N52
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLIEN View Post
Hmm, I may keep those in mind next time. I love Michelin's but have had success with other brands as well. Yoko's have been good to me since the days of AVS Intermediates!
I had AVS Intermediates on my old 944s back in the late 1990s. The AVS INt's were always good for at least 15K miles.

The PZERO treated me well. They wore like iron, were sticky in the dry and wet, and were actually quite 'plush' compared to some of the other RFTs. The only down-side is the initial purchase price.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #11
ATLIEN
First Lieutenant
ATLIEN's Avatar
30
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: GSU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundle View Post
I had AVS Intermediates on my old 944s back in the late 1990s. The AVS INt's were always good for at least 15K miles.

The PZERO treated me well. They wore like iron, were sticky in the dry and wet, and were actually quite 'plush' compared to some of the other RFTs. The only down-side is the initial purchase price.
Werd on the AVS intermediates! I had them on my 86 MR2! Never should have sold that car.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
ATLIEN
First Lieutenant
ATLIEN's Avatar
30
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: GSU

iTrader: (0)

Here are my alignment specs. I'm not an alignment expert. However, looks like the rear toe was off as well as the front.

__________________
2008 BMW 335I
MHD STG 1+
BMS DCI
VRSF 5 IC
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #13
jt335i
Captain
jt335i's Avatar
68
Rep
783
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLIEN View Post
Here are my alignment specs. I'm not an alignment expert. However, looks like the rear toe was off as well as the front.

Yep. Driving in the city 95% of the time can take a toll on your alignment and suspension because of all the bumps (including speed zone humps), potholes, dips, grooves, uneven pavement, old beat up streets and roads, construction zones, once in a while accidental curb bumping, etc., etc., therefore it’s a good idea have your alignment checked a little more frequently just to be sure they're at OEM spec.
__________________
2010 BMW 335i: Monaco blue metallic/Premium+Sport Auto-Steptronic, BMW PE, Cobb Stage 2
2005 Mustang GT: Redfire metallic/5-spd/Ford Racing (Axle backs, silver Bullitt wheels)/K&N CAI/ Diablo Sport Predator Tuner
1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #14
AZDAVEBROWN
New Member
7
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 2006 325I
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PHOENIX, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Had the same problem with tires, just wore out to fast. I'm an old guy and drive like one, except on the freeway. Where I drive it's no problem running 85 to 90 for a hour or so at a time, also part of that drive involves some nice twisty 2 lane roads, what fun. I do a LOT of long distance driving. Was only getting about 15,000 to 18,000 out of a set. Both front and rear. Had my local indy do a alignment that was not factory specs. Put 0 degrees camber front and rear.
With this new setting I am at 22,000 and still have another 8 to 10,000 before needing new. Car has the sports package, so I have the staggered tire setup. I'm still using the Bridgestone run flats.
Just adding my two cents worth.
My car has the sports package, so tires are
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #15
e36power
Private First Class
15
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

This is my experience, FWIW.

I average about a thousand miles a month on my car.

My fronts lasted 33 months. But they were completely shot on the shoulders. Probably should have replaced them late last summer. Just replaced them last week.

The rears are a different story. They lasted about 18 months.

Edit: I too have PSS.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #16
ATLIEN
First Lieutenant
ATLIEN's Avatar
30
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: GSU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDAVEBROWN View Post
Had the same problem with tires, just wore out to fast. I'm an old guy and drive like one, except on the freeway. Where I drive it's no problem running 85 to 90 for a hour or so at a time, also part of that drive involves some nice twisty 2 lane roads, what fun. I do a LOT of long distance driving. Was only getting about 15,000 to 18,000 out of a set. Both front and rear. Had my local indy do a alignment that was not factory specs. Put 0 degrees camber front and rear.
With this new setting I am at 22,000 and still have another 8 to 10,000 before needing new. Car has the sports package, so I have the staggered tire setup. I'm still using the Bridgestone run flats.
Just adding my two cents worth.
My car has the sports package, so tires are
Any handling changes with the camber adjustment?
__________________
2008 BMW 335I
MHD STG 1+
BMS DCI
VRSF 5 IC
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #17
ATLIEN
First Lieutenant
ATLIEN's Avatar
30
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: GSU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36power View Post
This is my experience, FWIW.

I average about a thousand miles a month on my car.

My fronts lasted 33 months. But they were completely shot on the shoulders. Probably should have replaced them late last summer. Just replaced them last week.

The rears are a different story. They lasted about 18 months.

Edit: I too have PSS.
Gotcha. I like experimenting with different tires. The PSS were a great feeling tire coming from the runflats with more composure in the ride quality. I will have to say this about the bridgestone rft's. Those stiffer sidewalls allowed me to corner just a smidgen better. They held their set better in tight curves to me. I was thinking of getting the PS4's when they come available but I may bump down a notch and grab some ultra high performance all seasons.
__________________
2008 BMW 335I
MHD STG 1+
BMS DCI
VRSF 5 IC
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #18
e36power
Private First Class
15
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLIEN View Post
Gotcha. I like experimenting with different tires. The PSS were a great feeling tire coming from the runflats with more composure in the ride quality. I will have to say this about the bridgestone rft's. Those stiffer sidewalls allowed me to corner just a smidgen better. They held their set better in tight curves to me. I was thinking of getting the PS4's when they come available but I may bump down a notch and grab some ultra high performance all seasons.
That's interesting. To me I felt that the PSS provide better traction. I feel like they are more forgiving. But different cars, different drivers and different roads can produce different results. There is a different feel for sure.

I am very interested in trying the PS4. Also, when I switched to the PSS, I debated the Conti Extreme Contact DW, I know they just updated those as well. Those might also be worth a try. I know Tirerack had the old rendition on clearance even just a few weeks ago. Might be a good one to try. Next time I replace all four at the same time I will probably try one of those two.

For all seasons, I think the Michelin Pilot A/S 3 is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #19
jt335i
Captain
jt335i's Avatar
68
Rep
783
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36power View Post
That's interesting. To me I felt that the PSS provide better traction. I feel like they are more forgiving. But different cars, different drivers and different roads can produce different results. There is a different feel for sure.

I am very interested in trying the PS4. Also, when I switched to the PSS, I debated the Conti Extreme Contact DW, I know they just updated those as well. Those might also be worth a try. I know Tirerack had the old rendition on clearance even just a few weeks ago. Might be a good one to try. Next time I replace all four at the same time I will probably try one of those two.

For all seasons, I think the Michelin Pilot A/S 3 is the way to go.
I'm with you bro. I am on the second my set of PSS and they are well worth the money I spent. Grip the road like glue, even in the rain, and hold the road solidly around those corners. I like how I can take a long curving exit ramp off the ‘I’ at nearly 65+ MPH.
Probably won't have to replace them till maybe sometime in late 2018 or 2019? By then, they will be replaced with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S which I will go with those.

Have the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my 2005 GT Stang and love them too. Big difference in grip, ride, and handling over the OEM Pirelli P Zero Neros.
__________________
2010 BMW 335i: Monaco blue metallic/Premium+Sport Auto-Steptronic, BMW PE, Cobb Stage 2
2005 Mustang GT: Redfire metallic/5-spd/Ford Racing (Axle backs, silver Bullitt wheels)/K&N CAI/ Diablo Sport Predator Tuner
1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #20
lookalikehuuh
Private First Class
15
Rep
168
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

I average about 18-20K for my rears and about 40k for a set of fronts. I drive it like i stole it and make the twisties fun. Anyway... for the grip/ride/etc that these PSS have I am not complaining.

I did, however, have them set my camber to 0 when I first got them so that could be a factor.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 12:43 AM   #21
absentmathis
Enlisted Member
9
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 07 335
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (0)

Toe is the tire eater. Factory spec isn't optimal for tire wear at all. Dial that toe in and they'll last a lot longer even with a heavy foot.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 01:59 AM   #22
tunachris
First Lieutenant
tunachris's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
360
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Azusa, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 E92  [0.00]
I get about 15,000 on the rears, and 28,000 on the fronts. I have used PSS and PS 2's. Going to buy new wheels soon, and I think I will get a square set, so I can rotate all 4 tires.
__________________
JB4, BMW Perf. Exhaust, DCI, Strut Brace, KW Series 1, Quaife LSD, Black Kidneys.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST