E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Stopa's 335xi Build Thread (Update 2/22/17: Light Painting Questions)

12-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
Stopa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i xDrive pre-lci

Stopa's 335xi Build Thread (Update 2/22/17: Light Painting Questions)

I've been loading up random threads here and there and wanted to actually document some of this build. I got the car this past May and caught the mod bug pretty quickly.

Here is what I'm coming from:

2011 Audi B8 A4 APR Stage 2 | Intake | Downpipe | Exhaust | Lowered on H&R Springs with A5 y-spoke wheels

First pic was taken before the springs went on. Loved this car! She drove as smooth as anything could until the PCV went and then things didn't seem to be the same.

Ended up getting the 2010 335i xDrive in May of 2016. ~70k on the clock. Got her, all said and done, for just under $20k. In my new BMW owner ignorance I thought the car was Jet Black, nope, definitely a nope. Black Sapphire Metallic. (don't mind the old plate, need to get a new one, suggestions?)

Day I took the car home.

After about a week I order the front aero splitter and a high-kick spoiler and stuck those on in an evening. I also plasti-dipped the grilles and badge on the black matte black.

June she made the ~1000 mile round trip to Hilton Head and back all in one piece.

It was now time for some of the mechanical work. I wanted to get a dc intake but I also wanted to try and avoid the heat soak issue. I ended up half assing this Mr. 5 / Helix style intake a bit and it's kind of a hybrid set up at this point?

Trying to figure out where to move the power steering pump was a little difficult but with some mad DIY skills I fashioned this janky looking bracket. Holding strong!

It was also time to head down to Charleston, SC for a little vacation except a hurricane rolled through and we had to evacuate. She didn't make it out without a little bit of a battle wound though. At the end, ended up being about $3.5k in damage.

- New bumper, aero splitter, intercooler, radiator support, and labor

They also painted the bottom grilles black like I had done previously which was nice.

I picked up a set of 219m wheels and once the winter rolls through it'll be time to throw those bad boys on with a set of coils and get the car looking pretty. At the beginning of November I had a custom exhaust/muffler delete done on the car with some capped resonators and custom tubing. It's loud as F*** on a cold start and roars when needed but not as obnoxious as others have said.

Once the new year comes I'm going to be looking at getting my hands on a Cobb AP V3. I love the ease of installation and the digital display. I've had plug in tuners like this on previous cars and they've always been good to me.

----------------------------------------

Update: 12/23/2016

Spent the day off today trying to figure out some side diffuser fins on the back here. They didn't end up working out how I wanted so there are no final pictures but I think I've got another idea of fabricating some with abs plastic and l brackets.

Only issue I'm running in to is trying to figure out how to connect the two pieces at a 90 degree angle without bolts and crap hanging out between the vertical piece and the car.

Also just got the new iphone and loved how these pics came out. Washed and waxed the other day after we had some serious ice and salt all over the roads so she's looking shiny as hell.

Good pics to show off the exhaust a bit. Muffler delete with custom j pipe resonators.

Update: 12/31/2016

I caved and ordered some tires for the 219s and went even farther and got PSS so I've pretty much screwed myself for the winter but I'll manage.

Wheels are style 219m's and are 18x8.5/9.5 et 29/23. So they're pretty aggressive for the 335.

Tires are 235/40 18 and 265/35 18. There have been so many conflicting statements about these sizes rubbing really badly and I can see why. I'm still at stock xi height and the rears rub but only through pretty big dips and bumps. Nothing that's not manageable.

When the coilovers go on in the spring I will definitely need to roll, pull, and cut the rears but the guys at GT Peace said that wont be a problem.

Pardon the cell pics.

Update: 1/6/2017

I quickly got some better shots of the wheels and tires form the back. I'm still amazed every time I look at the car how wide the wheels make the thing look from the back. It's a nice aggressive stance for sure.

I also wanted to get some opinions on a quick idea/Photoshop I did. I've got the rear taillights tinted red right now with some cheep vinyl but wondered what it might look like with the bottom section blacked out.

Can't decide if I like it or not... lemme know

Last edited by Stopa; 02-22-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Sub'd for more mods
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 11:18 PM   #3
classyfast
Major
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Nice progress but god damn you got killed for 20k all in. Hope that was a dealer purchase and nobody on this forum sold you that! That's pretty bad for a 2010 non msport with 70k on the clock. Risky as hell too unless you have entire service history and a damn good warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 03:25 AM   #4
RVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54

how does the hybrid intake feel? thinking about going this route
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Stopa
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS View Post
Honestly, the only thing I notice is a bit more turbo noise. I'm not sure if it would be equivalent to the DCI in terms of increase in air flow but definitely thinking with a tune it might help a little.

This post has a little bit more in depth look at it.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621269

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Nice progress but god damn you got killed for 20k all in. Hope that was a dealer purchase and nobody on this forum sold you that! That's pretty bad for a 2010 non msport with 70k on the clock. Risky as hell too unless you have entire service history and a damn good warranty.
Yeah - No warranty - Jumped right into the deep end of the pool. I've got some cash set aside for the water pump (and maybe turbos) and if the hpfp goes I plan on doing a lpfp
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
RVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopa View Post
Quote:
Honestly, the only thing I notice is a bit more turbo noise. I'm not sure if it would be equivalent to the DCI in terms of increase in air flow but definitely thinking with a tune it might help a little.

Quote:
Yeah - No warranty - Jumped right into the deep end of the pool. I've got some cash set aside for the water pump (and maybe turbos) and if the hpfp goes I plan on doing a lpfp
Oh then you'll need to look into MHD TUNE
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #7
classyfast
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Shit man you got balls to make the e92 n54 335 your "intro" Bmw! At 70k be prepared for injuectors, coil packs, plugs, waterpump, hpfp, turbos, etc......my 07 was one of the worst cars I've ever owned (and I'm a 16 year Bmw owner) and just got rid of my 3rd 335 last year. Trust me when I tell you-----get a warranty, either BMW or aftermarket. It is necessary.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
Roma_335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Quote:
Shit man you got balls to make the e92 n54 335 your "intro" Bmw! At 70k be prepared for injuectors, coil packs, plugs, waterpump, hpfp, turbos, etc......my 07 was one of the worst cars I've ever owned (and I'm a 16 year Bmw owner) and just got rid of my 3rd 335 last year. Trust me when I tell you-----get a warranty, either BMW or aftermarket. It is necessary.
Not always true. I have 2 335i's and they are rock solid. Only 1 time replaced water pump at 75k at my xi thats all. It all depends if your lucky or not i guess.
VRSF CP & TIAL 50mm BOV
VTT silicone inlets
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 11:06 PM   #9
Stopa
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
Not always true. I have 2 335i's and they are rock solid. Only 1 time replaced water pump at 75k at my xi thats all. It all depends if your lucky or not i guess.
See this is the thing, I've read so many bad things and then there are guys like you that give me hope that the car will just keep on keeping on. Running on that luck of the 1/4 Irish.

Quote:
At about 75k I had the plugs and coils replaced, and the bmw "fuel system service" So I'm feeling solid on that. My audi had all 4 coils go 4 days after picking it up so I was indoctrinated into the life early on
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #10
classyfast
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
Quote:
As much as I would love to agree with you bud, they are unreliable cars. I'm talking mostly pre-lci cars. Both n55 powered cars I had were better but still had many of the same issues the early n54's had as well. You don't just see it on the forum, you can look up BMW recall stats and get info from dealers.

These aren't just modded car issues too, bone stock they have reliability issues. When you mod it's even worse I guess you have to pay to play. But....when the car is running right, and everything is good, definitely one of my favorite BMW's to ever drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #11
Stopa
Private
United_States
Rep

Spent the day off today trying to figure out some side diffuser fins on the back here. They didn't end up working out how I wanted so there are no final pictures but I think I've got another idea of fabricating some with abs plastic and l brackets.

Only issue I'm running in to is trying to figure out how to connect the two pieces at a 90 degree angle without bolts and crap hanging out between the vertical piece and the car.

Also just got the new iphone and loved how these pics came out. Washed and waxed the other day after we had some serious ice and salt all over the roads so she's looking shiny as hell.

Good pics to show off the exhaust a bit. Muffler delete with custom j pipe resonators.

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #12
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (07 335i E93)

Quote:

Congrats!
Shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to mount your side rear diffuser fins. I've got mine attached on using the existing screws there.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 11:17 AM   #13
Stopa
Private
United_States
Rep

I caved and ordered some tires for the 219s and went even farther and got PSS so I've pretty much screwed myself for the winter but I'll manage.

Wheels are style 219m's and are 18x8.5/9.5 et 29/23. So they're pretty aggressive for the 335.

Tires are 235/40 18 and 265/35 18. There have been so many conflicting statements about these sizes rubbing really badly and I can see why. I'm still at stock xi height and the rears rub but only through pretty big dips and bumps. Nothing that's not manageable.

When the coilovers go on in the spring I will definitely need to roll, pull, and cut the rears but the guys at GT Peace said that wont be a problem.

Pardon the cell pics.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #14
Bellis92
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i DCT

Evil looking build mate, looks sick.

What's the exhaust set-up ?

Mod Plans: DCI // FMIC // MHD // CF diffuser // CP / DPs
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 06:26 PM   #15
Ubersmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Hey man, so you didn't roll the fenders or anything? I'll be taking my 219m's to gt peace to get them put on my e92 with sports suspension. Trying to run 265/35's in the back without rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 07:54 PM   #16
Stopa
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersmooth View Post
Hey man, so you didn't roll the fenders or anything? I'll be taking my 219m's to gt peace to get them put on my e92 with sports suspension. Trying to run 265/35's in the back without rubbing.
I'm on stock xi suspension and they rub on big dips and bumps. You'll rub on sport suspension with 265/35s for sure.

They can roll and cut the fenders and should be good.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #17
Stopa
Private
United_States
Rep

I quickly got some better shots of the wheels and tires form the back. I'm still amazed every time I look at the car how wide the wheels make the thing look from the back. It's a nice aggressive stance for sure.

I also wanted to get some opinions on a quick idea/Photoshop I did. I've got the rear taillights tinted red right now with some cheep vinyl but wondered what it might look like with the bottom section blacked out.

Can't decide if I like it or not... lemme know

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #18
Stopa
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellis92 View Post
Evil looking build mate, looks sick.

What's the exhaust set-up ?
Muffler delete with custom j-pipe resonators to cut drone.

Originally had the muffler delete done and the tone from ~1,900 to 2,500 was rough. J-pipes cut that completely and make the those highway drives much nicer.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
Stopa
Private
United_States
Rep

Just went through ordering an M3 rep front bumper. Wanted to save some cash and do it later but damn I'm an addict.

Got the bumper from *********s and will have it shipped directly to the body shop to have painted.

Questions though:

Would there be any downside/side effects to just removing the brake ducts entirely instead of trying to modify them?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #20
Stopa
Private
United_States
Rep

Shit Picture - But the M3 rep bumper is at the body shop and the guys said they were really impressed with the quality and it should be painted and ready to go by Tuesday.

I don't have a particular body shop in the Northern VA area that I frequent so I'm trying out IM Autohaus in Falls Church. Reviews look good and they specialize in Germans and other Euros. Fingers crossed.

Took a little while to get here, exactly two weeks so that wasn't too good for my instant gratification needs.

I'll get some good before and after shots at some point this weekend.

After this next mods on the list are:

Performance
- Charge Pipe and BOV
- Stage 1 tune (Cobb or JB4)
- FMIC and piping
- DPs
- Coilovers and rolling rear fenders (spring/summer)

Exterior/Interior
- Tint 25 front 35 rear
- M-Sport rear bumper w/ carbon diffuser and quad tips
- M3 rep side skirts and extensions
- Carbon/Gloss black??? interior trim wrap
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #21
RobertRichy
First Lieutenant II I know enough to be dangerous
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI N54 335xi

Looking good. When it comes to deciding on a Tune most of the forum would agree that JB4 or MHD are the way to go. COBB no longer supports the platform. Same goes for ProTuningFreaks who used to offer custom tuning via COBB.
As previously mentioned an extended warranty is not a bad idea. My recommendation is Route 66. There are plenty of threads on here that talk about how good it has been to many members, myself included. Find yourself a trustworthy "mod friendly" shop and you will be set. My warranty has paid for itself 2X's in less than two years and I've still got another 35,000/2 years worth of coverage.
2010 N54 335xi / BMS DCI's / AR DP's / KW V1 / Stoptech Slotted Rotors / SS lines / EBC Yellowstuff / Fuel-it stage 2 LPFP / Fuel-it Bluetooth Content Analyzer / ETS FMIC / VRSF CP / TurboSmart Dual Port Kompact kit / MHD / E60 Tune / CORSA Exhaust / Alpina TCU
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #22
Stopa
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRichy View Post
Looking good. When it comes to deciding on a Tune most of the forum would agree that JB4 or MHD are the way to go. COBB no longer supports the platform. Same goes for ProTuningFreaks who used to offer custom tuning via COBB.
As previously mentioned an extended warranty is not a bad idea. My recommendation is Route 66. There are plenty of threads on here that talk about how good it has been to many members, myself included. Find yourself a trustworthy "mod friendly" shop and you will be set. My warranty has paid for itself 2X's in less than two years and I've still got another 35,000/2 years worth of coverage.
Even if Cobb doesn't support the platform anymore the actual AP and companies that tune through the AP are still valid, no?

For MHD you absolutely need an android device right?

I've always been partial to flashing instead of piggy backing.
Appreciate 0