E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Cobb V3

10-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
old grey steve
335i E Maps Re Map, VRSF Catless DownPipes & More.

Drives: 335i SE

Cobb V3

A bit of interest from me kinda like what this thing can do but I'm thinking mines a 2006 car everything Cobb displays on their site is 2007+ just wonderd whether this is/has been an issue for anyone.

And be interested to hear of owners views as far as I can see looks a decent bit of kit. Looked at the site loks quite comprehensive. Had a look at the registration section just wondered how anyone gets on buying second hand re this part of the procedure.

Thanks

Steve
      10-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
themanthatcan
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E92 335i MSport

Hey buddy,

I don't think the US got the N54 until 2007 which is why their site mentions 2007 onwards. Could be wrong though.

I had a Cobb v3 combined with the Alpina TCU flash for a few months and was very impressed, although it was the middle of winter and to be honest it was a little bit too powerful lol! My main concern was my warranty though, so I decided to sell it on.

When it comes to second-hand units, as long as it's been uninstalled from the previous car then it's no issue.

As for the features it provides, it can read and clear fault codes and also allows you to data log, both live on screen and also to a file which can be analysed later. You can even send the file off to Cobb and get a custom map made up based on the logs you provide.

The initial installation of a map takes about 10 minutes as it backs up your factory map first, but changing between maps only takes a couple of minutes.

Overall it's well worth the money and really flexible with how easy it is to switch between maps. I couldn't deal with paying a chunk of money to a mapper for a flash and then not have the option of easily removing or changing it when I wanted. With the Cobb you pay for it, use and it and then if you want to get rid you sell it on.
      10-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
old grey steve

Thanks for the reply seems an interesting bit of kit. I've git one in a box may msy not use it due to varying reasons but the website looks good as dies support....

Guess time will tell do I don't I???
      10-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Yoro35i
TROll

Drives: E92 335I M

if i must tell you in the most simple way

Cobb is like a evolve box that comes pre-loaded with lots of different stage of remaps stored inside. The maps are off the shelf that caters alot of different stages and fuel hence there is a bigger safety margin.

you can keep the cobb plugged into the obd port to view real time engine info( that is what i do hence you thought my cobb only works when it is plugged in) or you can disconnect the whole thing and the remap will still be there as it overwrites the ecu data.

Don't worry, the cobb will back up your original map and you are able to reflash your original map back on and there won't be any traces left.

in General this is like a evovle box and a map.

there is a company where you can data log and send the data to them and they will work with you for a custom tune to work with cobb, however i will go over later.
Yoro35i is offline   United Kingdom
      10-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Yoro35i
TROll

Drives: E92 335I M

also, if you plug your cobb in and you get the message that it is not supported, don't worry, cobb will send you maps that works with your ecu once you email them.
Yoro35i is offline   United Kingdom
      10-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
old grey steve

Lovely answer Alan cheers for that, I've got the Cobb bought it the other day from a wonderful gentlemanon a whim, but may now not actually use it as we've just invested some serios money in TriCore equipment which means re map wise I can do a hell of a lot more ECU tweeks than any ODB map can offer so may go this route and if I do the Cobb won't ever get used.