E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > D92/93 M-tech foglights (lots of pics)

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
D92/93 M-tech foglights (lots of pics)
Published by absix
11-01-2008
D92/93 M-tech foglights (lots of pics)

Props to l4wr3nc3, I followed his advice and changed my foglights in 20 mintutes. Yeah, I took my time.

Tools needed:

- 8mm wrench (pardon me if that's not the right word for the tool)
- small screw-driver (not necessary needed)

Important notes:

- careful not to scratch your fender, the outter side.
- do NOT touch the bulbs, any dirt could damage them

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3
All these fog light DIY's make everything so complicated. It took me 10mins to change my fogs on my e92, its even easier and took like 7mins to do my girlfriends e90.

For e92, remove 3 8mm bolts. Turn the wheel all the way to the right to do the left side and vice versa. Remove 2 bolts on the fender liner (towards the outer side of the fender liner. They are both in somewhat of a straight line. One is above of the other). Remove the 1 bolt closest to you on the bottom of your bumper where your "mud guards" are. Now you will have more then enough room to pull the fender line back and change the bulb.

For e90, its exactly the same thing except there is only 1 bolt to remove on the fender liner instead of 2 like the e92.
Let's start with the look of the stock foglights:

E92/93 M-tech foglights are H11!I didn't know which foglights I will like better so I bought Mtec H11 4,350k Super white & H11 GP Thunder 7,500k Super white.

Like l4wr3nc3 said, turn the wheel all the way to the right to do the left side and vice versa. I have completed the foglights change with removing just two 8mm bolts. They are total of three on the fender liner, but the top one was pain in the ass to remove, so I just skipped it. It would be easier if you remove it though. Here's the first 8mm (the scetch is pointing at it) I have removed:

Close up:

The second 8mm bolt located in the middle. You can hardly see it unless you have a really small head and you could put it between the wheel and the fender Just put your hand inside and "touch" find it.

After you remove the two bolts, just pull the fender liner.

You can see the bulb inside, plenty of room to smuggle your hand, unless of course, you're Yetti

Twist the bulb housing and pull it out. Tadaaam!

Use a small screw-driver or your nails to unplug the bulb from the housing.

Plug the new bulb and put everything back in. REMEMBER, NOT TO TOUCH THE BULB!

Now comes the tricky part. It's very hard to align the housing into the foglight, if you look through the liner fender. To make your life easier, just look from the FRONT of the foglight and you'll see the metal pieces of the bulb and where to align them. Took me 3 seconds. Just twist and you're done. Sorry, no photos for this one, my hands were busy. TEST to see if it works!

Driver's side done. See the difference, stock vs. Mtec Super white.

On the passenger side is a bit more harder to complete, because of the "mesh" you see on the photo, but yet I managed to complete the change with two 8mm bolts removed. It will be a lot easier if you remove all three.

The bottom bolt (the scetch is pointing exactly at it)...

The second:

Done!

The bulb inside:

Here's how I made it even easier, just don't hold the screw-driver there for a long time as your fender liner is plastic and it might "twist" permanently.

Remove the stock bulb, plug the new one and put everything back. The same procedure as you did on the driver's side. TEST to see if it works!

I decided to put the GP Thunders on the passenger side to see which bulb I'll like better.

GP Thunder on the left vs Mtec on the right:

They look the same in daylight! LOL. I decided to go with the Mtec as I want white, not blueish. Not sure how they would look after the sun is gone.

Mtec on both sides:

Put all bolts in place and you're done! If I can do it, everyone could! Even Willie!

It's my first DIY ever, so I did my best. If you notice and language errors, excuse me, english is not my mother tongue.

Good luck!
Tutorial Tools
By skylinelks on 11-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
nicely done...
and give yr dog the H11 GP Thunder 7,500k Super white...(I mean his eyes..seem like yr car's fog light?)..lol..
By l4wr3nc3 on 11-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Very nice! Glad i could help you out and thanks for putting this together. Its so much faster and easier then all the other fog DIYs. It should be noted that this method is not just for mtech. It works for the stock e90/e92 bumpers as well
By absix on 11-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinelks View Post
nicely done...
and give yr dog the H11 GP Thunder 7,500k Super white...(I mean his eyes..seem like yr car's fog light?)..lol..
Thanks and

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Very nice! Glad i could help you out and thanks for putting this together. Its so much faster and easier then all the other fog DIYs. It should be noted that this method is not just for mtech. It works for the stock e90/e92 bumpers as well
I didn't know the stock bumbers are the same on the behind. I can't change the title of the DIY
By iheartsole on 11-17-2008, 03:29 AM
nicely done. where can i purchase the m-tech bulb?
By absix on 11-17-2008, 05:29 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
By E92-Lighting on 01-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
mtec bulbs can be purchased here

By E92-Lighting on 01-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
By BRAISKI on 09-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Nice DIY! I am planning to change my foglights to HIDs
By bounty78 on 01-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Excellent guide! Got mine done in 15 mins. Thank you. It's dead easy, like u say u don't have to remove all the 8mm screws.

mike
Comment