E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tow Hook Cover MIA

10-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
e92doc
Hospital Slave
Rep

Drives: '12 M3 and '13 M5

Garage List
Tow Hook Cover MIA

So I was driving home from work last week when a rock from a tractor trailor hits my bumper. I tried to avoid it but I was boxed in by two cars. So any ways two seconds later I see this black object fly up and hit my windshield :. I say WTF and think another rock hit me. However when I get home I notice that my front tow hook cover is missing. The rock must have knocked my cover off and that must have been the black thing i saw hit my windshield.

So i call my dealer and the service department tells me they have to order a new cover they dont have one in stock. I say no big deal. Then they tell me its not painted and i should just spray paint it. I say no fing way, i want it painted to match my car, and they tell me they are goinging to charge me for the paint job. I love my car so I say yes.

Has this happened to anyone else. Did your dealerships charge? I just think when you spend 45 grand on a car a cover that falls off should be replaced for free. Its stuff like this that makes me not want to by cars from my dealership.

2012 M3 Coupe
Mineral White, DCT, Premium Package, Competition Package, Sat, Heated Seats, OEM Carbon Fiber Splitters, OEM Carbon Fiber Spoiler, iND reflectors, OEM GTS Black 359 Competition wheels, 380mm Brembo BBK
2013M5- MCB, DCT, Executive, 343 rims, iND reflectors
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to calvino
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92doc View Post
So I was driving home from work last week when a rock from a tractor trailor hits my bumper. I tried to avoid it but I was boxed in by two cars. So any ways two seconds later I see this black object fly up and hit my windshield :. I say WTF and think another rock hit me. However when I get home I notice that my front tow hook cover is missing. The rock must have knocked my cover off and that must have been the black thing i saw hit my windshield.

So i call my dealer and the service department tells me they have to order a new cover they dont have one in stock. I say no big deal. Then they tell me its not painted and i should just spray paint it. I say no fing way, i want it painted to match my car, and they tell me they are goinging to charge me for the paint job. I love my car so I say yes.

Has this happened to anyone else. Did your dealerships charge? I just think when you spend 45 grand on a car a cover that falls off should be replaced for free. Its stuff like this that makes me not want to by cars from my dealership.

well something similar happens to me but the back tow cover I think someone stole it.

I order one from getbmwparts.com for $15 and I call the BMW Collision Center‎ in my area I talk to the manager and he paint it for me for free because they had a car that they were going to paint that was also mystic blue I know I'm a lucky bastard

but I my dealer originally quote me $25 for the part and $20 to paint it.

your car is jet black popular color I'm sure if you call your local Collision Center‎ and talk to the manager they can paint it for you for free or for like $20-$25
      10-16-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
Arustik1
HYEPWR
Armenia
Rep

Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Yeah, you will get charged unless you know your service advisor and he takes care of you

I remember I got a jet black one for a buddy of mine and was charged less than 10 bucks (employee)
      10-16-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 E92 335i

My rear towhook cover cost me $16 for the little piece of plastic, and like $45 for labor. Complete rip-off. Sorry dude.

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 03:10 AM   #5
ELITE_TRAYUNZE
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW 07 E90 328i Sport

...I dunno bout what you guys got up in the States, but over here in Canada, we have Canadian Tire and they have a bunch of car touch-up spray paints and stuff of that sort. They order it by car brand and even have EXACT colours of the car. The colour of your car should have some number that goes with it, figure out what it is, and go buy some spray paint for like 5 bucks. It's not tough.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
e92doc
Hospital Slave
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITE_TRAYUNZE View Post
...I dunno bout what you guys got up in the States, but over here in Canada, we have Canadian Tire and they have a bunch of car touch-up spray paints and stuff of that sort. They order it by car brand and even have EXACT colours of the car. The colour of your car should have some number that goes with it, figure out what it is, and go buy some spray paint for like 5 bucks. It's not tough.
I know that I can find a can of spray paint and do it my self, that is not an issue for me. What is an issue is the fact that if I dont want to spend 20-100 dollars I have to use spray paint on a 45 thousand dollar car. There is something wrong with that. I would expect that from a company like ford or kia where they would say tuff sh*t, not from BMW.

2012 M3 Coupe
Mineral White, DCT, Premium Package, Competition Package, Sat, Heated Seats, OEM Carbon Fiber Splitters, OEM Carbon Fiber Spoiler, iND reflectors, OEM GTS Black 359 Competition wheels, 380mm Brembo BBK
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92doc View Post
I know that I can find a can of spray paint and do it my self, that is not an issue for me. What is an issue is the fact that if I dont want to spend 20-100 dollars I have to use spray paint on a 45 thousand dollar car. There is something wrong with that. I would expect that from a company like ford or kia where they would say tuff sh*t, not from BMW.
I totally agree with you. Spending that much on your car should buy you a higher level of service.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
wrickem
doesn't really care
Rep

Drives: what he wants to

After you get the new cover, use a little silicone to keep it from coming off again so easily. After mine came off in the car wash (I got it back), I went right home, popped them both off and shot some clear silicone behind them. They won't come off easily, but you can still get them off if you need to.
      10-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Drives: E93 335i

Send a message via AIM to darkphantom
$43 painted...yeah what a rip off, 1square inch of paint is what 30$?!? part was 13~ wtf is that
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Drives: VF

honestly, I'm surprised the quote from the stealer is under $100...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
e92doc
Hospital Slave
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
After you get the new cover, use a little silicone to keep it from coming off again so easily. After mine came off in the car wash (I got it back), I went right home, popped them both off and shot some clear silicone behind them. They won't come off easily, but you can still get them off if you need to.
Thanks for the great suggestion I will deffinately try some silicone when I get my cover. So to piss me off even more its been over one week for a cover, so I called today and they said it just got out of the spray booth and needs to dry overnight. I say fine and ask for a definite price and they say they dont know. I say ballpark it. They say 50-200, I say WTF??!!

2012 M3 Coupe
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 328xi

Mine was $9.60 and they didn't charge me to paint it. I don't know if it came painted from the factory or they did it for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
e92doc
Hospital Slave
Rep

Garage List
Great news. I picked up my tow hook cover and I was only charged 15 bucks. I was told that they were painting another part and did it for free. I love burdick bmw! I owe to my CA Joe. If anyone needs a bmw in upstate ny ask for joe at burdick.

2012 M3 Coupe
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #14
CFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M6

I spoke with my salesman and he took care of me. I don't know why they come off so easily.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #15
leeevelynm
Private
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW325XI

I got my car towed for a flat tire, and the cover went missing i think the tow truck guy didn't know how to get it to work and broke it. I had to get it replaced. They had to order the part and they charged me for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
dailo
Private
Rep

Drives: E92

Damn my front tow hook and headlight washer cover thing popped off when a piece of wood flew up and hit my bumper Anyone know the part number for the headlight washer cover? I'm hoping not to pay over $100 for two little pieces of plastic
Appreciate 0