E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Sprint Booster caused engine failure..help

11-16-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: bmw 335i

Sprint Booster caused engine failure..help

Hey guys,

I need some advice. I don't know if this has happened to anyone else. I have a 2007 335i with JB3. Never had problems. I recently heard about and ordered Sprint Booster. I just installed it today. I was so happy until I started up the car. Upon starting the car it was shaking violently. The service engine light came on and the picture of the Half Engine power light came on. The Nav screen was showing some kind of a message stating the DTC is malfunctioning, so drive slow to nearest dealership. What the hell!!!! I started freaking out. I tried restarting the car and same thing. I then removed the Sprint booster and the car was fine, except now I have a little light saying to service engine soon. I am about due for service anyway but the light was not on a few hours ago. What happened??? Anyone?? Is it the JB3 interferring. Other users here have the sprint booster with the JB3 without problems. I have no other mods. Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 01:45 AM   #2
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sprint Booster caused Engine Failure..help

Hey guys,

I need some advice. I don't know if this has happened to anyone else. I have a 2007 335i with JB3. Never had problems. I recently heard about and ordered Sprint Booster. I just installed it today. I was so happy until I started up the car. Upon starting the car it was shaking violently. The service engine light came on and the picture of the Half Engine power light came on. The Nav screen was showing some kind of a message stating the DTC is malfunctioning, so drive slow to nearest dealership. What the hell!!!! I started freaking out. I tried restarting the car and same thing. I then removed the Sprint booster and the car was fine, except now I have a little light saying to service engine soon. I am about due for service anyway but the light was not on a few hours ago. What happened??? Anyone?? Is it the JB3 interferring. Other users here have the sprint booster with the JB3 without problems. I have no other mods. Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
rooster3.0
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Start the car a couple more times and the light should clear. You should also get yourself a cheap obd code reader/clearer for the future so you can see what the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 02:11 AM   #4
BoostedCosta
SUPERMAN
Rep

Drives: AW e90 335i M-Sport

Send a message via AIM to BoostedCosta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster3.0 View Post
Start the car a couple more times and the light should clear. You should also get yourself a cheap obd code reader/clearer for the future so you can see what the issue is.
yea hes right
but i wondered what happened?
cant the sprint booster be stacked with other tunes..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 02:34 AM   #5
3er858
First Class Privates
United_States
Rep

Drives: AW LCI, Daytona 675

don't know much about the sprint booster install, but maybe you wired it wrong or didn't ground something?

LTBMW | VMR V710's| Nitto | H&R | LUX H8's | M-Sport Front | Perf. Rear | Matte Black Grills | M3 Lip | JL CF Splitters | BMS | Muffler Delete
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 02:42 AM   #6
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i ; 14 RangeRover SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieman78 View Post
Hey guys,

You ruined the car now! Don't touch anything, get it towed to the dealer ASAP.

Relax man, that little thing is 100% totally harmless. Why is your engine shaking? Its not engine failure dude. Your car is not getting any signal of the throttle position because you fucked up and your gas pedal is effectively disconnected, totally throwing off engine throttle parameters. You need to take a deep breath, relax and push the connectors hard enough together until the little clips snap into place. Then shove the excess wire behind the pedal and slide the plastic pedal casing back into place going top to bottom.

How do I know exactly what you did? Because I have the Sprint Booster and tried it before though its not on my car now. Trust me, wet noodle hand effort not going to make the male\female connectors fully connect. Unless they are completely snapped in, you will have a bad case of the shakes. BTW if its kind of touching its worse still because you get intermittent signals. Make sure it snaps into place. Its really not hard at all, but as in all things maybe scarely doing it first time. You can't hurt the car messing with the gas pedal unless you break a connector which is replaceable. Furthermore there is no way to connect it wrong, the connectors only fit one way and only to the correct male\female connector. Hope that helps.
      11-16-2008, 03:30 AM   #7
battlehawk1025
battlehawk1025
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 335XI 6mt, SL 65 , M6

dude not a good idea to stack tunes
ur asking for death but it
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Morpheus
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

misleading title....

anyway, how does this thing work? Does it fool the ecu into thinking you are going WOT at the slightest touch of the pedal?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
misleading title....

anyway, how does this thing work? Does it fool the ecu into thinking you are going WOT at the slightest touch of the pedal?
from what i understand from reading just a bit, the sprint booster basically gives you alot more power say 75% when the gas pedal is pushed down only say 50%.

but what happens is that last 20% of gas pedal travel gives you basically nothing cause you have used up all the poewer already.

...kind of a silly concept in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

If it wasn't SPECIFICALLY designed and tuned for the 335i, why on God's earth would someone put one of those generic "tunes" on a car and take a chance to mess up the ECU?
Especially if one already has an aftermarket tune on the car already?

It's as inexplicable as the guy who stacked the JB3 and SSTT together.
I know it's uncommon, but at some point people need to use "common" sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Drives: a car

The Sprint booster is not a tune. I have been running the SprintBooster and a tune for over 10k miles with no issues at all. The SprintBooster and tune make for a tasty combination. I bet the OP messed up the install by not pushing the pins in all the way. I have had the SprintBooster on all my cars, Benzes and BMWs and have never had an issue with any of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
roadkillrob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 335Cic,11 X5 35i,11 Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
If it wasn't SPECIFICALLY designed and tuned for the 335i, why on God's earth would someone put one of those generic "tunes" on a car and take a chance to mess up the ECU?
Especially if one already has an aftermarket tune on the car already?

It's as inexplicable as the guy who stacked the JB3 and SSTT together.
I know it's uncommon, but at some point people need to use "common" sense.
It is designed for the 335 and isn't a tune, it just recalibrates the gas pedal and basically tells the ECU you are pushing the pedal harder than normal, so it feels more responsive (one of the things the M button does in an M3 to sharpen up the throttle). Only way you can screw it up is not get it plugged in tight, or it is just a bad unit - it is a real nice mod if not a bit over priced for what it does!

2008 E93 335i, GIAC Stage 2, HPF IC, Injen Intake, Defective AR Design DP's with useless cats
2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1, 2011 Audi S4 Giac Stage 2 + DSG Tune
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
It is designed for the 335 and isn't a tune, it just recalibrates the gas pedal and basically tells the ECU you are pushing the pedal harder than normal, so it feels more responsive (one of the things the M button does in an M3 to sharpen up the throttle). Only way you can screw it up is not get it plugged in tight, or it is just a bad unit - it is a real nice mod if not a bit over priced for what it does!

$329 for that.
That's what DS mode is for in an auto.
I've driven a manual 335i too and didn't feel like the throttle response was bad.
Guess I don't get the point of it. If you want more power, you just push the gas pedal more.
Call me crazy, but if I push the gas pedal 25% down I want 25% power, if I push the pedal down 50% I want 50% power.
Why have artificial pedal response?

Also, IIRC both the v3 and jb3 have throttle response adjustments.
I think the v3 you can adjust it yourself and if you have jb3 just ask Terry, but I'm sure you can customize your chip to have a more aggressive throttle response map too.

If i was the OP, I'd just send that sprint thing-a-jig back for a refund.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 02:34 AM   #14
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

HEY GUYS, THANK YOU FOR ALL THE RESPONSES

VASE330...thanx man. You were 100% right. I went back and tried again to install the sprint booster. this time i made SURE all the connections are very tight and I had NO problems and NO error codes. Works like a charm. Very quick. Kind of tricky when making right turns due to the torque.

I feel like an idiot though. I thought for sure everything was done right and I got a big scare. All is fine now and sprint booster works great for all of you out there who now might be worried. No problem with the device, just with my mechanical skills. lol

thanx again everyone
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 02:38 AM   #15
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

VASE330...thanx man. You were 100% right. I went back and tried again to install the sprint booster. this time i made SURE all the connections are very tight and I had NO problems and NO error codes. Works like a charm. Very quick. Kind of tricky when making right turns due to the torque.

I feel like an idiot though. I thought for sure everything was done right and I got a big scare. All is fine now and sprint booster works great for all of you out there who now might be worried. No problem with the device, just with my mechanical skills. lol

thanx again everyone
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 02:38 AM   #16
newbieman78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

p.s sprint booster is not a tune so i am not stacking tunes
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #17
bigbadbull
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 530iXT Sport package

Send a message via AIM to bigbadbull Send a message via MSN to bigbadbull Send a message via Yahoo to bigbadbull
I was going to say did you line up the "numbers" labeled on both connections correctly?
Typical issue with most E60 sprint booster users.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #18
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep

Drives: FWD in reverse

While I will not pay the price asked for a Sprintbooster, I do think this car has the worst throttle response of all the cars I've owned. What the heck was BMW thinking when they calibrated it? In fast transitions, its just awful and makes the car feel like a disconnected luxobarge and nothing like a performance car.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #19
adc
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED

A "Sport" mode as created by the Sprint Booster would be very helpful with heel&toe and track driving. Like the M button in the M3...

I'm tempted to wire one in with a dashboard switch, maybe even an M3 button.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #20
battlehawk1025
battlehawk1025
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 335XI 6mt, SL 65 , M6

sorry thats my fault i thought it was a tune
gl
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:06 AM   #21
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i ; 14 RangeRover SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieman78 View Post

thanx again everyone
You are welcome man, I have learned from others on this forum too. No shame man, we all F'up once in a while and need some help. Yeah the Sprint Booster works regardless of what all the couch analysts seem to say. I took it out because it made my car a little too edgy for city slow-mo doodling around where I barely tip in the trottle before I have to use the brakes. Enjoy man
      12-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #22
ploggusthegreat
Registered
Rep

Drives: 320i

Hi Guys need some help. Just purchased a sprint booster for my E90 320i 2007 sports. It auto. Tried to install it but I get the engine check light. Read and tried vasa330 and really pushed the plugs in, but the engine check light still stays on when I start the car. Any ideas
Appreciate 0