Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Bridgestone Blizzak

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

11-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
martyp
Canada Eh!

Drives: 2012 F30

Bridgestone Blizzak

Hey Yall;

I just installed my 16 inch Blizzaks today (non-rft) and my god does the car ever have mushy steering now! It freaked me out at first, but got used to it after a while. I know now why we have RFTs. Quite the difference! I know it's due to the softer sidewall but I didn't know there would be THAT much difference.

Anybody else?
martyp is offline   Canada
      11-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
CirrusSR22
Captain

Drives: E36 318ti, R50 MINI

The mushy steering is mostly due to the rubber compound that winter tires have. The difference between my summer and winter tires (both non-RFT) is night and day. When I mount the winter tires the steering effort is greatly reduced, the self-centering characteristics are greatly reduced plus tramlining is gone. It's like driving a totally different car.

And yes, you do get used to it. Every winter for the past five I've mounted Blizzak WS-50s and now WS-60s and every time I think, "my god these are squishy". After about a week or two I don't notice it.
      11-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
E30M3Driver
Captain

Drives: 13 335is, 89 M3, 97 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.00]
1989 BMW M3  [4.10]
Blizzaks are squisher than many winter tires, which is why I don't run them. Where I am is mostly dry except for the handful of days of snow and of course 20-40 degree days. WS-50s are the worst in terms of dry squishyness. If you want a better handling snow tire in the dry, go with a higher speed rated tire from Pirelli, Michelin, etc. I am using Alpin Pilots now, pretty nice in the dry and ok in the snow.

If you get a lot of slow you'll appreciate the blizzaks.

As you mentioned, the runflats magnify the effect that much more.

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
      11-22-2008, 03:45 AM   #4
halB
Colonel

Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

That's the trade off between good ice/snow traction and sporty handling. Unfortunately you can have more of one and less of the other either way, not both.

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
halB is offline   Canada
      11-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
mmm def
Colonel

Drives: 06 330i, 11 S4

Send a message via AIM to mmm def
Try the LM25's next time. You will get used to the blizzaks soon though, nice tire.
mmm def is offline   United_States
      11-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
kyleb350
Brigadier General

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

I felt the exact same way when I put the Blizzak LM25s on. If you feel the knobs in the tread, you'll see they're very flexible.

If you're driving around 20 mph and steer back and forth fairly aggressively you'll feel the car roll a little extra due to the tread.
kyleb350 is online now   United_States
      11-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
BMdblU
Brigadier General

Drives: with no destination

Try a 'performance winter tire' if you are concerned with dry handling. My LM25's are a perfect combination of dry and snow performance, love them. The Dunlop wintersport M3 is also a good choice.
BMdblU is offline   Canada