E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > turbo lag update. did dealer say you have to pay?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '08 Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego

Posts: 200
iTrader: (0)

turbo lag update. did dealer say you have to pay?

I called my SA last night about the turbo lag software update and he didn't mention if he was aware of it or not but as we were talking about it more, he said that unless you have work done where a software update is required, it's not covered by BMW and you'll have to pay about $150 to update the software. I think that's crap but I wanted to verify if this is same thing you guys are being told.

In the realease from BMW, it said if you had a car with a prior build date, you could request the update but doesn't mention anything about a cost involved or didn't say you could request the update at no cost.

Does anybody have any info to clarify?
__________________
'08 Montego Blue 335i, auto, grey leather, aluminum trim, 50% ceramic Llumar tint on all windows except windshield - all options except active steering, active cruise control, and HD radio
'01 Lexus IS300 - gone but not forgotten
halfmonkey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
danniexi
Lieutenant Colonel
 
danniexi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 335xi
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,979
iTrader: (14)

BMW will only update the software of the car if it is required under service (aka fuel pump replacement, idrive problems, etc.). They will not update the software 'just because.' If so, then yes, they will charge.
danniexi is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
phattbam
SF Krew
 
phattbam's Avatar
 
Drives: //M
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SonicMS

Posts: 5,564
iTrader: (21)

to me that's more of a recall issue, so it should be covered under warranty.
phattbam is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
MrChessy
Magical Pill...
 
MrChessy's Avatar
 
Drives: wreckless
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Smallville

Posts: 12,775
iTrader: (2)

If I were you, I would complain to the SA about the press release that BMWNA dealer(Had Acknowledged) De-Tuned my car that caused the "Slight" lag. It's stated on their website that the engines for the N54 are lagged-Free and that's what I've paid for. You can bring up "False Advertising" if they decline to update the ecu the way it used to drive....
MrChessy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
stressdoc
Moderator
 
stressdoc's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 E90 ZSP+
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

Posts: 9,439
iTrader: (0)

Dealers won't know much until Jan '09. This reprogramming is a special gig.
__________________
My not-so-recent ED: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31829
Quaife, BMW Perf & M3 suspension, V5, M-sport, ...
Please join BMWCCA http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=c...&ref_by=300279
stressdoc is offline   Dominica
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
shaddai
former N54 owner
 
shaddai's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 608
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Read here and click the link for the PDF:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=2916
__________________
+lemon
shaddai is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
shaddai
former N54 owner
 
shaddai's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 608
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
By the way, the dealerships are worthless for this problem right now. Complaining to them is akin to pissing on a light post and expecting to knock it over.
__________________
+lemon

Last edited by shaddai; 11-25-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: must have double clicked!
shaddai is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
iatacs19
Major General
 
iatacs19's Avatar
 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 5,203
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddai View Post
By the way, the dealerships are worthless for this problem right now. Complaining to them is akin to pissing on a light post and expecting to knock it over.


but seriously, just wait it out until Jan '09 to get concrete details on this whole fiasco.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.


BMWCCA Referral
iatacs19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,347
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
If it is not giving you any problems, then just wait.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
mcoupe60266
?
 
Drives: BMWs
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 56
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
to me that's more of a recall issue, so it should be covered under warranty.
but you're not BMW so it doesn't matter what you think.
mcoupe60266 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #11
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
 
TT3 iN NyC's Avatar
 
Drives: AW/CR e92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: nYc

Posts: 2,256
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to TT3 iN NyC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupe60266 View Post
but you're not BMW so it doesn't matter what you think.
Ouch, he's just trying to help, relax dude.
__________________
'07 e92 335i: Alpine White/Coral Red/Aluminum Trim
COBB S2+FMIC | Stett CAI | Stett CP | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | AR DPs | Vanguard |
TT3 iN NyC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #12
AU335
Colonel
 
AU335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southeast

Posts: 2,333
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to AU335 Send a message via MSN to AU335
Talked to a BMW tech today when i dropped my car off, and he said the new software update will probably be ready at the beginning of December, but he said they still have a load tons of information to load into their machines before they will be ready to update the software on customer cars
AU335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #13
e90fanatic
Absolute0
 
e90fanatic's Avatar
 
Drives: Has a Roundel
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TO/HK/NJ

Posts: 5,018
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to e90fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
I called my SA last night about the turbo lag software update and he didn't mention if he was aware of it or not but as we were talking about it more, he said that unless you have work done where a software update is required, it's not covered by BMW and you'll have to pay about $150 to update the software. I think that's crap but I wanted to verify if this is same thing you guys are being told.

In the realease from BMW, it said if you had a car with a prior build date, you could request the update but doesn't mention anything about a cost involved or didn't say you could request the update at no cost.

Does anybody have any info to clarify?
u read all the important details EXCEPT IT'S FOR JANUARY!!
__________________
To procede or not to procede......
e90fanatic is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
phattbam
SF Krew
 
phattbam's Avatar
 
Drives: //M
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SonicMS

Posts: 5,564
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupe60266 View Post
but you're not BMW so it doesn't matter what you think.
chill yo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT3 iN NyC View Post
Ouch, he's just trying to help, relax dude.
seriously.. I'm just stating that it's a RECALL type of issue here.
phattbam is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2008, 01:41 AM   #15
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
 
Joonsup's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 17,312
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [4.75]
Send a message via AIM to Joonsup
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupe60266 View Post
but you're not BMW so it doesn't matter what you think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT3 iN NyC View Post
Ouch, he's just trying to help, relax dude.

no kidding. chill out. he was just offering his opinion. He never claimed he was bmw. Are you lost? Here you go. http://www.zpost.com/forums/index.php
Joonsup is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2008, 04:41 AM   #16
iheartsole
Brigadier General
 
iheartsole's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego

Posts: 4,931
iTrader: (2)

sup halfmonkey,
what part of sd are you from?
iheartsole is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2008, 07:03 AM   #17
MFKN3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MFKN3's Avatar
 
Drives: 4.5L stroker s/c E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,914
iTrader: (2)

just say your idrive is playing up... then they will conduct the update. Just a suggestion
MFKN3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2008, 07:40 AM   #18
mapezzul
Special Agent
 
mapezzul's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
chill yo..



seriously.. I'm just stating that it's a RECALL type of issue here.
It is NOT a RECALL and will be evaluated on a case by case basis. BMW is not issuing a recall or even a campaign on this. The goal of the software update 29.2 was to solve the "problem" of engine noise; a slight "lag" was detected by a few enthusiasts and varies from car to car. Having driven several cars with this "lag" inducing update it is apparent to me that some people are overstating how severe the issue is, unless the cars I have driven (owners do not complain of the lag) are those in the group that are barely affected. The lag is not a lag but a decrease in boost pressure, which is in fact different than lag which is caused by the turbos not spooling and thus not creating enough boost, these things are fully spooled (as I have been told). So in a nutshell this software more than likely will not be changed as per customer complaint for lag, but be part of a broader software update. I have asked about this and not been given a firm answer as of yet.

What BMW is offering up is a way to lessen this lag certain people detect more than others while creating more engine noise which more people detect and voiced concerns about.

The update is not available yet and most dealers have not been briefed on it since it does not exist. They will be right before it is available.

Do not be surprised if you will have to sign a waiver stating that your software will cause engine noise and that future warranty work for a noise complaint that fits the description of the specific noise this software will create will not be covered (ie: software changed back to rid the noise).

BMW is actually offering up an option for those affected, and that is something most manufacturers would not do, they now will have to modify two software versions moving forward when they update something instead of just one.

I have also been told that future software will also include more engine data logging features to lessen the after market modification of the engine, only time will tell but since BMW is also going to be offering its own performance software this makes sense.
mapezzul is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #19
phattbam
SF Krew
 
phattbam's Avatar
 
Drives: //M
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SonicMS

Posts: 5,564
iTrader: (21)

final say before I unsubscribe. I was just saying it's a recall type of announcement. if BMWNA is aware and they announce it, they are pretty much letting owners know if they have this "lag" to bring their cars back to get it updated. relax a bit. we're all here to help one another as well.
phattbam is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #20
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '08 Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego

Posts: 200
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fanatic View Post
u read all the important details EXCEPT IT'S FOR JANUARY!!
***********
Actually, I did read that it's available in Jan but I'm not sure where you thought I asked when this "update" was available. I simply asked if other members already asked their SA's about this too and if they were told they would need to pay. Of course, we all know that BMW all always releasing software updates and I was hoping that people with previous update experiences would be able to chim in.

Thanks for trying to clarify though but I already know this.
__________________
'08 Montego Blue 335i, auto, grey leather, aluminum trim, 50% ceramic Llumar tint on all windows except windshield - all options except active steering, active cruise control, and HD radio
'01 Lexus IS300 - gone but not forgotten
halfmonkey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #21
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '08 Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego

Posts: 200
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartsole View Post
sup halfmonkey,
what part of sd are you from?
*******
southside.
__________________
'08 Montego Blue 335i, auto, grey leather, aluminum trim, 50% ceramic Llumar tint on all windows except windshield - all options except active steering, active cruise control, and HD radio
'01 Lexus IS300 - gone but not forgotten
halfmonkey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #22
BzzzBom
Major
 
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,214
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
It is NOT a RECALL and will be evaluated on a case by case basis. BMW is not issuing a recall or even a campaign on this. The goal of the software update 29.2 was to solve the "problem" of engine noise; a slight "lag" was detected by a few enthusiasts and varies from car to car. Having driven several cars with this "lag" inducing update it is apparent to me that some people are overstating how severe the issue is, unless the cars I have driven (owners do not complain of the lag) are those in the group that are barely affected. The lag is not a lag but a decrease in boost pressure, which is in fact different than lag which is caused by the turbos not spooling and thus not creating enough boost, these things are fully spooled (as I have been told). So in a nutshell this software more than likely will not be changed as per customer complaint for lag, but be part of a broader software update. I have asked about this and not been given a firm answer as of yet.

What BMW is offering up is a way to lessen this lag certain people detect more than others while creating more engine noise which more people detect and voiced concerns about.

The update is not available yet and most dealers have not been briefed on it since it does not exist. They will be right before it is available.

Do not be surprised if you will have to sign a waiver stating that your software will cause engine noise and that future warranty work for a noise complaint that fits the description of the specific noise this software will create will not be covered (ie: software changed back to rid the noise).

BMW is actually offering up an option for those affected, and that is something most manufacturers would not do, they now will have to modify two software versions moving forward when they update something instead of just one.

I have also been told that future software will also include more engine data logging features to lessen the after market modification of the engine, only time will tell but since BMW is also going to be offering its own performance software this makes sense.


How do you know that BMW will be offering its own performance software? This rumor started about a year ago and I have heard no confirmation from BMW or anyone else.
BzzzBom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST