E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Inlet Manifold 123D & Swirl Flaps

12-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe.

Inlet Manifold 123D & Swirl Flaps

Yes its not a 3 series, however the 123D manifold set up shares the same DNA found on the facelifted N57 330d....

I've done a good few pieces re swirl flaps on here and the usual feeling is from me at least is removal is a preventitive measure which is far more costeffective than the cure(new engine)

This particular car came into us with just the following info, car started up in the morning then shudders like it was running on 3 cylinders, switched off then started up again and ran as normal. Custoemr was a little concerned booked it in with us.

Once it arrived we ran a diagnostic check and straightaway there was an issue re smooth running, we've actually seen a good few 123D's before and they are actually known for blowing holes in the inlet manifold where the injection moudling process takes place, so we felt that the manifold needed to be looked at closely to see what was going on. With everything exposed we discoverd that the usual place where things take place hadn't taken placeso wqe felt the best policy based on what we were seeing was to whip the manifold off for a look. And this is what we did.

What we didn't expect to see was this

straightaway lodged in the cylinder head was part of the manifold as you may be able to see above but a little closer just in case its not that evident

So with a pic and some long nose pliers we simply removed the debris that confronted us in the cylider head.

meanwhile on the inlet manifold side of things the guide pin for the swirl flap was found on the floor

and in the manifold itself we saw this

look to the right and a little closer it will be clearer, namily this a fractured and fully detatched broken swirl flap

A little more detail with no circles

below is what the set up should look like compared with the above

if you look at old v new manifold

Oddly enough (not) the engine was coked up with crud

the crud we strongly believe saved the day, the plastic from the manifold had wedged itself in tothe head in time it would of erroded, but rhe swirl flap on the last port was held in by a wing and a pryer.

We could see via an endoscopic camera that nothing had actually at this stage ventured any further in to the engine at al, which is always good to knowl.

This was one lucky very lucky owner. Had it been driven for longer and and issue simply put down to a blip then I strongly suspect we'd be looking at a different picture i.e. new engine but the customer had the forsight to react. And that saved the day
      12-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
Len_Beach
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Wow!

Lucky times.

You say this manifold shares the DNA with the N57. Does the N57 suffer the same issues?

If so; how do you go about removing the N57 swirl flaps?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
hp88
Rep
Drives: E92 320d M Sport

Looks very similar to what was pulled out mine. Only noticed this when the manifold was being replaced due a hairline crack.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

That is shocking, but a lucky customer.

By the way, waiting on a quote from you...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
Wow!

Lucky times.

You say this manifold shares the DNA with the N57. Does the N57 suffer the same issues?

If so; how do you go about removing the N57 swirl flaps?
These manifold are a different beast to the M57 style, TBH if you look the set up is totally different structure wise the N57 manifold feels stronger look at the swirl flaps they are ali as you'll notice the pins on the new one seem solid enough sadly the result I've posted seems to suggest they are still questionable. RE how do you remove the siwrl flaps on these honest answer is on the face of it it'll be down to individual process as to how or if this can be safely applied the M57/M47 design flaw was easily identified and a quick solution was found notice the lack of solutions for this set up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp88 View Post
Looks very similar to what was pulled out mine. Only noticed this when the manifold was being replaced due a hairline crack.

Your pictures as you've stated mirror almost mine shows that the manifold can/does break up(fracture)I've seen from memory 3 123D manifolds with blown holes about 2-3mm present causing a huge loss of power and noise reported by customers. What surprises me is a plastic manifold can blow like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
That is shocking, but a lucky customer.

By the way, waiting on a quote from you...
Quote sent.... but its eye watering