E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Android Auto HU Reverse Cam Help

02-24-2022, 03:44 AM   #1
Bobbych
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series 320d 2010

Android Auto HU Reverse Cam Help

I took the plunge and purchased an Android Auto HU for my 2010 E90. it comes with a reverse cam, but I am seeking some advice on the install

from the pics attached, you can see the setup

I have 2 questions. the Cam has a RED power line, which I assume connects to the RED power line that is integrated into the AV line, which will run to the HU

first question, which connector on the harness is used for this? from the only pic I have from the website, it seems to suggest the CAMPOW line, although this is labelled Reverse cam inspection but this may be Chinese translation. so is this the correct line to supply 12V to the cam?

Second, it comes with this black box, which I assume needs to go 'in-line'. does anyone know what this is, and where in line, it needs to go?

Any help would be appreciated

for reference, here is a link to the HU I purchased

CLICK HERE
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 07:08 AM   #2
jwilalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI SE Business Edn

Cables 2 and 3 are the only ones needed at the HU end and as you rightly say the positive power is sent down the rca cable on its embedded red cable but only when reverse is selected. At the boot end the handle obviously goes in situ, and the positive comes from the RCA feed (similar to the front HU way) and the negative just needs grounding somewhere. You don’t need the little black box (rectifier) which could be used to stabilise the power on a poor low voltage feed.

By the way good luck getting the rca cable through the boot umbilical tube/grommet, it’s extremely tight. I ended up cutting the RCA cable about 12” from the end and rejoined the 3 elements (2 for camera plus the additional red/positive) once I’d passed that nice thin cable through. Get a long stiff zip tie and use some white grease or other safe lubricant to feed through.

Last edited by jwilalex; 02-24-2022 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 07:28 AM   #3
Bobbych
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series 320d 2010

thanks for the response, that is what I assumed, so good to confirm, I will post once I have it installed, hoping i can get it though the Boot Umbilical. one video I saw, used a coat hanger as a feed and Vaseline as lubricant, both of which I have
Appreciate 0