E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Lighting / Electronics / Audio / Security > ▀▄ eas - mObridge Bluetooth Handsfree/iPod interface now available for e9x 3-series!

05-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #45
brandon @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 335i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Just wanted to share some more information I've gathered from the guys at m0bridge. I'm sure alot of other people have had the same questions I've had regarding the coding part of the m0bridge installation.

They sent me some of the application and general installer PDF files that I didn't see on their website that really helped answer some questions for me. I've attached them to this post for others to see.

The application document outlines three scenarios for coding the m0bridge unit if the vehicle isn't precoded.

Based on my conversation with m0bridge support, the same scenarios are true for the bluetooth mULF module as well.

The way I understand this is that you can goto a shop have the m0bridge retrofit coded on for bluetooth and CDC and then install the m0bridge unit afterwards.

They really recommend you find a shop with an Autologic available to do the coding/retrofit because Autologic already has the m0bridge specific activation steps in the newest software and can bring it online fairly quickly.

Otherwise, you'll have to find a BMW dealer willing to attempt the work and with a tech skilled enough in the DIS/GT1/SSS software to handle the coding.

I hope this helps resolve some of the other thread posters reservations, as I had the same reservations, on how to install the m0bridge unit.

I think I might be trying this option as soon as I get a chance to talk to the guys here at Treehouse Racing in Nashville (one of the shops I've found with an autologic) and see if they'd be willing to do the retrofit coding for me.
Great info, thanks for posting
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #46
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
I think I might be trying this option as soon as I get a chance to talk to the guys here at Treehouse Racing in Nashville (one of the shops I've found with an autologic) and see if they'd be willing to do the retrofit coding for me.
Be sure to confirm they have an optic multiplexer as it will be needed. Otherwise, your local BMW dealer can perform coding for you (CDC retrofit).
      05-21-2009, 09:03 PM   #47
Dracon
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Be sure to confirm they have an optic multiplexer as it will be needed. Otherwise, your local BMW dealer can perform coding for you (CDC retrofit).
Yeah, they are supposed to do a full software update for me next week, so they should have the required optical head because I'm pretty sure it's required to do software updates on an E90.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #48
david @ eas
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the orders guys! Keep them coming.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #49
shashankmittal
Rep

Drives: BMW X5 3.0

Unhappy CDC Activation

I recently got the mObridge bluetooth installed in my 2008 X5. When I took the car to the BMW dealer, they couldn't retrofit the CDC (they were getting error that no CDC found) and even charged me for 2hrs labour.

Then after lot of struggle, I was finally able to locate an Autologic shop which had the optical head needed to code my car. They have the latest software with all CIP updates, but still they dont see any m0bridge specific CIP instructions or buttons in Autologic. They do see CDC/Dension instructions. The guys there have been really helpful and have talked to Autologic support couple of times about mObridge, but so far have been unsuccessful at retrofitting the CDC and bluetooth. They have tried with the bypass mode on/off.

I am very disappointed with mObridge that they do not maintain a list of Autologic shops which have optical head and know how to retrofit for mObridge. The support never answers phone calls and has so far been little helpful. They do not even mention any details about retrofitting on their website and their FAQ/support section is horrible.

Any suggestions on how can I get this done. I have been struggling since 3 weeks to get the CDC and bluetooth retrofitted.
Had I know that this involves so much pain, I would have never purchased mObridge. If it doesn't work within the next few days, I'll have to return the unit to the mObridge dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #50
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
I recently got the mObridge bluetooth installed in my 2008 X5. When I took the car to the BMW dealer, they couldn't retrofit the CDC (they were getting error that no CDC found) and even charged me for 2hrs labour.

Then after lot of struggle, I was finally able to locate an Autologic shop which had the optical head needed to code my car. They have the latest software with all CIP updates, but still they dont see any m0bridge specific CIP instructions or buttons in Autologic. The guys there have been really helpful and have talked to Autologic support couple of times about mObridge, but so far have been unsuccessful at retrofitting the CDC and bluetooth. They have tried with the bypass mode on/off.

Any suggestions on how can I get this done. I have been struggling since 3 weeks to get the CDC and bluetooth retrofitted.
It's there - under "iPod Retrofit". You will have 3 settings for either OEM, Dension or mObridge retrofits.

Use the mObridge combo retrofit path. If your programmer should need assistance, have him contact me directly.
      05-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #51
shashankmittal
Rep

Quote:
It's there - under "iPod Retrofit". You will have 3 settings for either OEM, Dension or mObridge retrofits.

Use the mObridge combo retrofit path. If your programmer should need assistance, have him contact me directly.
Thanks, I'll ask him to contact you tomorrow morning at 714.369.8524 x22
He was mentioning to me that his Autologic is asking to enter a code without which it is not allowing him to program anything. He was on call with autologic UK support today, but couldn't get that code from them. Autologic US support was not of much help. Do you know by any chance what kind of code is required?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #52
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, I'll ask him to contact you tomorrow morning at 714.369.8524 x22
He was mentioning to me that his Autologic is asking to enter a code without which it is not allowing him to program anything. He was on call with autologic UK support today, but couldn't get that code from them. Autologic US support was not of much help. Do you know by any chance what kind of code is required?
The code request would mean there was a session failure on their end.

Have him give me a call tomorrow and I'll be glad to help.
      05-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #53
shashankmittal
Rep

Quote:
The code request would mean there was a session failure on their end.

Have him give me a call tomorrow and I'll be glad to help.
Hi Tom,
My Autologic programmer was able to retrofit CDC and Bluetooth. The problem was that Autologic did not have mObridge coding instructions for E70. They released a new software update for this today and the retrofitting was successful.

However, we are still not able to see any CD Changer or mObridge options in the car's display. Pressing the steering wheel telephone buttons also doesn't show anything on the screen.

We tried calling you on your phone, but I guess were busy. What do you suggest we can do at this stage?

-Shashank
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #54
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Tom,
My Autologic programmer was able to retrofit CDC and Bluetooth. The problem was that Autologic did not have mObridge coding instructions for E70. They released a new software update for this today and the retrofitting was successful.

However, we are still not able to see any CD Changer or mObridge options in the car's display. Pressing the steering wheel telephone buttons also doesn't show anything on the screen.

We tried calling you on your phone, but I guess were busy. What do you suggest we can do at this stage?

-Shashank
Just got off the phone with your programmer - we're looking into a solution as we speak.
      05-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #55
shashankmittal
Rep

Quote:
Just got off the phone with your programmer - we're looking into a solution as we speak.
Thanks Tom. So what do you think the problem is? Is mObridge not supported by E70?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #56
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Tom. So what do you think the problem is? Is mObridge not supported by E70?
It's a programming compatibility with the e70 at the moment, mObridge is still working on component activation, which we just got word of last night.

I provided your installer with the support line for mObridge, he should already be in contact to see if there is an alternative workaround.
      05-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #57
shashankmittal
Rep

Quote:
It's a programming compatibility with the e70 at the moment, mObridge is still working on component activation, which we just got word of last night.

I provided your installer with the support line for mObridge, he should already be in contact to see if there is an alternative workaround.
mObridge has asked my installer to remove the unit from the MOST bus and then try retrofitting. I dunno if that is a valid workaround. What exactly is component activation? Does that require a firmware update to mObridge or is it an Autologic update?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #58
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
mObridge has asked my installer to remove the unit from the MOST bus and then try retrofitting. I dunno if that is a valid workaround. What exactly is component activation? Does that require a firmware update to mObridge or is it an Autologic update?
Not sure how this would work as the device needs to signal (ping response) that its installed.
      05-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #59
shashankmittal
Rep

Quote:
Could you please tell me more about the component activation and what exactly mObridge is doing for that?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #60
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Could you please tell me more about the component activation and what exactly mObridge is doing for that?
That would be a question for mObridge directly.

For coding, the device needs to be pre-installed before coding.
      05-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #61
Dracon
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i E90

Tom/shashankmittal,

My discussions with m0bridge support seem to support that they prefer the device not to be installed in the vehicle at the time of coding.

I asked m0bridge support:

Quote:
Would they be able to code the car for the m0bridge device while they have the optical head and then I could add the physical device in at a later date? Or would the m0bridge device need to be physically installed before coding the car? If that's the case, I'll have to see if they can possibly borrow the head again later on if they decide not to purchase it.
Karlos at m0bridge support replied:

Quote:
...coding now and putting the device in later is actually a preferred approach from some standpoints. You do not want the mObridge unit active in the MOST bus when they are trying to do CIP (control module) updates and retrofit coding. Aftermarket units such as mObridge don't contain the necessary responses to diagnostic communications from the tester, so the tester sees them as a roadblock or faulty node that won't enter diagnostics or at least won't respond as-expected. So it's best (or a MUST, really at this point) to do the CIP updates and retrofit coding BEFORE installing aftermarket units on MOST such as mObridge.

You can tell to the basic degree (of course, nothing's certain until the equipment is installed and working in the system!) if the retrofit coding was successful if you can go into CDC and see the discs 1-6 (will be greyed out without a real CDC or a mObridge installed yet but you should still be able to see them just greyed out) and some level of telephone funcitonality under Communications and Setup/Bluetooth menus (again probably some greyed out functions but new things should appear).
I asked this specifically because I wanted to know if the shop I'm talking to in Nashville would be able to do the retrofit coding for the m0bridge now (since they are having to borrow an optical head from the Autologic rep in order to upgrade all the software on my car) and I could install the m0bridge device in a couple weeks when I had the cash to purchase it since they would only have the optical head for a short time and I'm not sure if they'd be able to get it again on demand.

They seemed to indicate, as shown above, that you can tell if the retrofit worked properly without the device installed as you should see the CDC and Bluetooth options in iDrive but most of the features would be greyed out. I assume that's how the BMW software handles a device the vehicle is coded for, but the device is not present on the MOST bus, it simply greys out the options for that device.

I've been talking with Karlos at m0bridge support and he's been extremely helpful with all the questions I've been asking him, and there have been alot of questions, and very prompt at answering e-mail. This is my first BMW and I've only had it a little over a month so I'm still in alot of new territory and wanting to make sure I'm doing things properly.

I hope the above information helps with your getting this setup on your E70,

-Andrew
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #62
shashankmittal
Rep

Quote:
I hope the above information helps with your getting this setup on your E70,

-Andrew
Thanks Dracon! I have myself been emailing mObridge support since many days about this whole retrofitting process and have got the same response. I'll try to get the retrofitting done again (without mObridge in the loop) sometime this week and will post the results here.

-Shashank
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #63
brandon @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: F30 335i M-sport

Quote:
Thanks Dracon! I have myself been emailing mObridge support since many days about this whole retrofitting process and have got the same response. I'll try to get the retrofitting done again (without mObridge in the loop) sometime this week and will post the results here.

-Shashank

Looking forward to seeing your progress
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #64
shashankmittal
Rep

Hi All

After so many days of research and support calls with Autologic, today I was finally able to get the CDC & Bluetooth retrofitted successfully in my e70!

We had to disconnect mObridge from the MOST bus to do this. While mObridge was disconnected, I could see the phone, Bluetooth and CD 1-6 in iDrive. All these options were greyed out.

I then connected mObridge to the MOST bus, but somehow the car doesn't seem to recognize an 'alien' device on the fibre optic network. I am unable to play music from my iPhone 3G, the Bluetooth handsfree functionality doesn't work even after successfully pairing the phone.

Any suggestions??
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #65
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi All

After so many days of research and support calls with Autologic, today I was finally able to get the CDC & Bluetooth retrofitted successfully in my e70!

We had to disconnect mObridge from the MOST bus to do this. While mObridge was disconnected, I could see the phone, Bluetooth and CD 1-6 in iDrive. All these options were greyed out.

I then connected mObridge to the MOST bus, but somehow the car doesn't seem to recognize an 'alien' device on the fibre optic network. I am unable to play music from my iPhone 3G, the Bluetooth handsfree functionality doesn't work even after successfully pairing the phone.

Any suggestions??
Does the iPod have the mObridge logo on the screen?
      06-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #66
shashankmittal
Rep

Finally......I was able to get the mObridge kit working with my E70!
The issue was that the kit was not properly connected to the MOST bus, after being disconnected for retrofitting.

Just a quick recap of thing on how to proceed with the installation and retrofitting....

1. Before purchasing/installing mObridge, the car needs to be retrofitted for CD Changer (CDC) and Bluetooth (only for Bluetooth kit). CDC retrofit is required only if you don't have a CD Changer installed in your car.

2. Find an Autologic shop that can do this for you. The easiest way to do this is find your area representative at www.autologic.us and ask them. BMW dealership will not be able to get this working. If you already have the mObridge kit installed, retrofitting cannot be done. You would need to remove mObridge from the MOST bus before retrofitting.

3. The Autologic shop would need an 'optical head' to be able to code the car and would also need the latest software+CIP updates installed.

4. The Autologic programmer should use the iPOD->mObridge CIP instructions and not CDC to retrofit. This allows retrofitting to be done without a physical CD Changer being present.

5. Once the retrofit is successfully done, you should be able to see CD1-6 and Phone/Bluetooth options grayed out in iDrive (for BMW).

6. Install mObridge kit.

7. If it starts working right away, you are all set. If it doesn't, let the car sleep for at least 70 minutes (all windows rolled up, doors locked, ignition off) and during this time dont even look at the car. I was told to do this by Autologic since apparently the MOST bus needs to recognize an alien device on the fiber optic network once it 'wakes' up after sleeping for 70 mins.

8. BMW iDrive will always show CD2-6 grayed out. All mObridge functions will appear under CD1 *only*.

Since most of these details are not available on mObridge website or the user guide and even the mObridge retailers fail to understand/explain these to the customers, so I hope this helps out all prospective mObridge buyers to plan their installation. I have gone through lot of pain trying to work with mObridge, Autologic, my Autologic programmer and installer to get the mObridge coding instructions released for E70, so hopefully others will benefit too from this information.

Last edited by shashankmittal; 06-07-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Appreciate 0