E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Another reason why BMW should make LSD standard!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Saintor
Colonel
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MTL, Canada

Posts: 2,356
iTrader: (1)

Another reason why BMW should make LSD standard!

SNOW.

I have a good set of snow tires, but I got stuck 3x today! Not interested in Xdrive.

Front-drivera just don't get stuck that worse.
Saintor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
ncoig
Lieutenant
 
ncoig's Avatar
 
Drives: The women crazy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nawlins, LA

Posts: 531
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
SNOW.

I have a good set of snow tires, but I got stuck 3x today! Not interested in Xdrive.

Front-drivera just don't get stuck that worse.
Using DTC?

-N
__________________
2009 E90 335i 6M ZSP/ZCW/ZPP/iD/CA/PDC/Shds/Alm/iPod/SP/L7 (ED 11/14/08, PCD 1/12/09)
2007 RDX Tech SH-AWD 5A
2006 E90 330i 6M ZSP/ZCW/ZPP/iD/CA/PDC/Shds/Alm/iPod/Phone Cradle/V1 (Retired)
2004 S60R AWD 6M Prem/Clim/Tour/Nav/18"/CK3000/V1 (Retired)
1999 Frontier XE-V6 4WD - F/R ARB Lockers
ncoig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
 
visor's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 F30 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Posts: 1,538
iTrader: (0)

It is standard....



....on the M3!

+1 for DTC.

< BTW, I agree completely... see my avatar signature!
__________________
2006 330i | TiAg | Black | Al | 6MT | Sports Package | Logic 7 retired
2008 335i | AW | Black | Al | 6MT | Sports Package | Logic 7 retired
2013 328xi | Red | Gray | Al | 8AT | Sports Line | Premium | Executive | Heat Pkg
visor is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
Saintor
Colonel
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MTL, Canada

Posts: 2,356
iTrader: (1)

DTC doesn't cut it.

"Traction Aid" are my friend. Used them twice today.



Should have bought those studded tires.
Saintor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
albeik
Private First Class
 
albeik's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Formula Red S2000
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Marlborough, MA

Posts: 187
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to albeik
my S2000 has no traction control, but with LSD and winter tires had no problems today... SUVs/Trucks kept looking at me funny today.. :P
albeik is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #6
Quasimodem
Colonel
 
Quasimodem's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California

Posts: 2,182
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
I think the 335d must use LSD. Besides it creates less polution.
Quasimodem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
SG333E
Private First Class
 
SG333E's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW 335 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CHI

Posts: 104
iTrader: (1)

Funny, I was just noticing this. The performance side of me wishes the car had LSD, but let's face it 99.x% of the time you don't need it. The practical side of me in winter notices the lack of LSD at every stop in snow/ice, even with winter tires as mentioned. That is a sore spot.
__________________
1970 Cuda 440+6 FE5 H6X9 4 SP> Moparts.com
1987 Grand National (422rwhp/566tq)>TurboBuick.com
2008 BMW 335 6MT> E90Post.com
2008 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er > MTBR.com
2008 German Shorthair Pointer > Shorthairs.net
SG333E is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
mapezzul
Special Agent
 
mapezzul's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

From 3/08 and on all 3 Series in the US have the E-diff, which is about 90% as effective as a true LSD. The 1 series had this from launch. BMW will not include an LSD in any non-///M cars for weight and cost reasons. HOWEVER- that being said the 7 and Z4 will have the new rear diff that puts power to the outside wheels like in the X6; Not sure if it locks, or sends equal power in a rear drive application, though I will ask.

With snow tires and the E-diff the car will get through most snow.

To activate the e-Diff hold the DSC for 3 seconds and all nannies turn off but the e-diff remains active as it is NOT a nanny so there is no engine cutting or yaw controlled braking.

It will apply the brakes gradually to the spinning wheel to help balance power distribution. And yes it will allow you to leave equal "strips" when peeling out.
mapezzul is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
jjy2
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: burnaby

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

so if my car is made in may 08, it will have it? nice nice
jjy2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Lassaxi
Major
 
Lassaxi's Avatar
 
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,035
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Front-drivera just don't get stuck that worse.
Rear-drivera gets more worse stuck than front-drivera. All-wheel-drivera gets stuck that better.
__________________
May 3, '07European Delivery, Redelivered on 6/11/07 - Monaco Blue/Beige, Steptronic, ZPP, ZCW, PDC, iDrive/Navi with RTTI, Logic 7, Xenons, HD Radio
Lassaxi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
 
tjnptel1's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Norfolk, VA

Posts: 2,219
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
wait, i thought Xs came with LSDs?
__________________
Bottles are for babies, Real men get blown.
tjnptel1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #12
Strongmad
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: nonja

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
I think the 335d must use LSD. Besides it creates less polution.
The 335d puts out far more soot particulates and NOx than the gasoline version. Besides, diesel emissions give you cancer http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BA1PVMN0O.DTL.
Strongmad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
ragingclue
My interior is turrible
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: stickferanaxle
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,721
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongmad View Post
Besides, diesel emissions give you cancer http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BA1PVMN0O.DTL.
So does breathing in general.

So if you don't buy a 335d and stop breathing, you lessen your chances of dying from cancer significantly.
ragingclue is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
ClarkGriswold
Private First Class
 
ClarkGriswold's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i, Audi Q7
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 113
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
From 3/08 and on all 3 Series in the US have the E-diff, which is about 90% as effective as a true LSD. The 1 series had this from launch. BMW will not include an LSD in any non-///M cars for weight and cost reasons. HOWEVER- that being said the 7 and Z4 will have the new rear diff that puts power to the outside wheels like in the X6; Not sure if it locks, or sends equal power in a rear drive application, though I will ask.

With snow tires and the E-diff the car will get through most snow.

To activate the e-Diff hold the DSC for 3 seconds and all nannies turn off but the e-diff remains active as it is NOT a nanny so there is no engine cutting or yaw controlled braking.

It will apply the brakes gradually to the spinning wheel to help balance power distribution. And yes it will allow you to leave equal "strips" when peeling out.
I don't claim to be an expert, but is this true? I thought that when you held the DSC for 3 seconds it turns everything off. Whenever I do that, I just spin one tire for days. Am I wrong?
ClarkGriswold is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #15
mapezzul
Special Agent
 
mapezzul's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold View Post
I don't claim to be an expert, but is this true? I thought that when you held the DSC for 3 seconds it turns everything off. Whenever I do that, I just spin one tire for days. Am I wrong?
Not if your car is built after 3/08. The E-diff is always active. Like I said though, all the other safety devices and "nannies" are turn off so drive careful!
mapezzul is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #16
mapezzul
Special Agent
 
mapezzul's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongmad View Post
The 335d puts out far more soot particulates and NOx than the gasoline version. Besides, diesel emissions give you cancer http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BA1PVMN0O.DTL.
Your statements about the 335d are incorrect. The BMW Advanced Diesels have less NOx and basically zero particulate. Your information is extremely dated.

The new diesels are cleaner than the gas versions. Plain and simple.

People need to wake up and realize that these are not old school diesels.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/08/19...ate-emissions/

Also note:
CO2 decreased by over 20% compared to equivalent gas powered car.
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), rather than AdBlue name.
mapezzul is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
 
Ferg's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 XI
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA

Posts: 595
iTrader: (0)

Might want to express some interest in XI.
Ferg is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #18
Insider
Captain
 
Insider's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 4,500 feet above sea level

Posts: 710
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongmad View Post
The 335d puts out far more soot particulates and NOx than the gasoline version. Besides, diesel emissions give you cancer http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../BA1PVMN0O.DTL.
Don't let the diesel boys from the UK forum see this, they will have a cow.
__________________
http://www.insiderpicks.com - The world's best stock picks.
Insider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #19
darkphantom
Banned
 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The place for Bimmers

Posts: 5,949
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to darkphantom
wth is up w/ that random spoiler post?!

From the OT forums....get some BLIZZAKS
darkphantom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #20
Strongmad
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: nonja

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
So does breathing in general.

So if you don't buy a 335d and stop breathing, you lessen your chances of dying from cancer significantly.
But increase your chances of dying from asphyxiation dramatically.
Strongmad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #21
chaz58
Captain
 
chaz58's Avatar
 
Drives: 328iT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit Burbs

Posts: 701
iTrader: (0)

Geeze, thanks Michael! Were you able to get some confirmation of that?

I have been trying to figure this out for months. I test drove some 2006/7 models, and the wheelspin sucked (to be blunt). I was tempted to by a Caddilac CTS because that car had an LSD, and BMW didn't. To me that was a HUGE issue!

I was shocked shitless (tickeled pink?) when I actually took delivery of my car, and found it drove just like a car with a visocus LSD (huge difference from the 2006/2007 cars). I could not believe my luck! The e-diff on my 2008 3 series workes great (even when DSC, DTC are turned off). That was the best surprise possible!!! Yeah, it isn't as tight as a Torsen and may not be my ideal diff for the track, but it works wonderfully on the street.

A few months ago I noticed that BMW changed the owner's manual to include wording on the e-diff (this wording is not in 2006, 2007 models, but is in 2008 and 2009 3series and 1 series manuals):

"Press the {DTC} button for at least 3 seconds…
Stabilizing and drive-output promoting actions are no longer executed.

328i, 335i: in the same way as with a differential interlock, even if DSC is deactivated, brake actions are still performed on the rear axle to enhance drive output if the drive wheels experience a significant loss of traction."


(yes, it does work with the nannies all turned off - it does basically state the x-drive models don't have this feature. It also implies that the active differential is used in DTC mode, which seems to be the case from my testing.)

I've been having a ball with it, in the dry, rain, dirt, snow - it really puts the power down. I love it!!!




Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
From 3/08 and on all 3 Series in the US have the E-diff, which is about 90% as effective as a true LSD. The 1 series had this from launch. BMW will not include an LSD in any non-///M cars for weight and cost reasons. HOWEVER- that being said the 7 and Z4 will have the new rear diff that puts power to the outside wheels like in the X6; Not sure if it locks, or sends equal power in a rear drive application, though I will ask.

With snow tires and the E-diff the car will get through most snow.

To activate the e-Diff hold the DSC for 3 seconds and all nannies turn off but the e-diff remains active as it is NOT a nanny so there is no engine cutting or yaw controlled braking.

It will apply the brakes gradually to the spinning wheel to help balance power distribution. And yes it will allow you to leave equal "strips" when peeling out.
__________________
_________________________________________________

chaz58 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #22
mapezzul
Special Agent
 
mapezzul's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz58 View Post
Geeze, thanks Michael! Were you able to get some confirmation of that?

I have been trying to figure this out for months. I test drove some 2006/7 models, and the wheelspin sucked (to be blunt). I was tempted to by a Caddilac CTS because that car had an LSD, and BMW didn't. To me that was a HUGE issue!

I was shocked shitless (tickeled pink?) when I actually took delivery of my car, and found it drove just like a car with a visocus LSD (huge difference from the 2006/2007 cars). I could not believe my luck! The e-diff on my 2008 3 series workes great (even when DSC, DTC are turned off). That was the best surprise possible!!! Yeah, it isn't as tight as a Torsen and may not be my ideal diff for the track, but it works wonderfully on the street.

A few months ago I noticed that BMW changed the owner's manual to include wording on the e-diff (this wording is not in 2006, 2007 models, but is in 2008 and 2009 3series and 1 series manuals):

"Press the {DTC} button for at least 3 seconds…
Stabilizing and drive-output promoting actions are no longer executed.

328i, 335i: in the same way as with a differential interlock, even if DSC is deactivated, brake actions are still performed on the rear axle to enhance drive output if the drive wheels experience a significant loss of traction."


(yes, it does work with the nannies all turned off - it does basically state the x-drive models don't have this feature. It also implies that the active differential is used in DTC mode, which seems to be the case from my testing.)

I've been having a ball with it, in the dry, rain, dirt, snow - it really puts the power down. I love it!!!
Chaz:

I just received official official confirmation last week. The DSC module was tweaked in 3/08 to offer the same system as the 1er released with. I have had a story drafted since last week on it but keep forgetting....

I will try to finish it up tonight along with 8 other things I am working on! hopefully if the snow holds out long enough we will have a 335d review up by Monday!

If you have any questions guys please let me know and I will try my best to answer them here and elsewhere! Just trying to help out!
mapezzul is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST