E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Sadly Thinking of Checking Out

02-18-2010, 04:37 AM   #1
LRS
Dead Head

Drives: E92 335d Coupe

Sadly Thinking of Checking Out

Hi All

Itís a sad, sad reality when you feel you need to buy a car based on the road conditions of your country.

I love, love, love the 335D, BUT hate, hate, hate the appalling conditions of the roads that I have to drive it on!!

I truly have reached a point of complete despair when it comes to driving the 335D on our so called modern roads. Driving it at night on unfamiliar roads has now become a game of Russian Roulette as you never know where the next two foot pot hole or sunken man hole cover is going to strike! The UK government should be utterly, utterly ashamed of what they have let our roads become, especially when you consider the amount of fuel and road tax we pay Ė itís nothing short of criminal!

Unfortunately, I have now reached the point of looking to sell the BMW for a good diesel SUV.

I have short listed the following:

- Volvo XC90
- Land Rover Discovery 2
- Jeep Grand Cherokee

I have discounted BMW, Audi & Mercedes as their SUVs seem to be more bling, bling with 22Ē low profile tyres primarily designed for the mirror smooth roads of Dubai. Hardly designed for our forth* world road conditions here in the UK!

*Iíve driven in Africa, India and Central America and found them all to have better tarmac roads than us! At least in these places they donít try to pretend that a road is good, they instead keep it as a dirt road, and then keep their tarmac roads in very good condition.

Iíll let you know how it goes.

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19Ē 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
LRS is offline   United Kingdom
      02-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Take it that 17" rims are not a solution on the 335d?

Have you thought of an X3 with base wheel sizing?

HighlandPete
      02-18-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
creepy coupe
Major General

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Discovery 3?

I know exactly what you mean LSR, I’m in a fortunate position to not have to run my 335 this time of year and run an old banger of a Ford Mondeo estate, I did take to BM out last night though and driving along the A20 to Maidstone was exactly how you describe. The stress of finding a pot hole outweighed the driving experience.
I can’t see the situation improving anytime soon.

Last edited by creepy coupe; 02-18-2010 at 05:19 AM.
      02-18-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
RagingKileak
Brigadier General

Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i

Ditched the RFT's etc?

Matt
RagingKileak is offline   United Kingdom
      02-18-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
creepy coupe
Major General

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Ditched the RFT's etc?

Matt
I have, still doesn't stop you finding pot holes though.
      02-18-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
xenon
Brigadier General

Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

17" rims will fit on a 335d for what it's worth. The chosen one had them on his.
xenon is offline   England
      02-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport

Drives: BMW ///M3 E92 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3 Coupe  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to Neil McRae
I have to agree, driving isn't much fun at the moment. I drive harrow to Central London and Harrow to Bracknell, all the roads are a nightmare at the moment. In the M3 is hard work but even in my 535d its not exactly enjoyable. Recently the council have also put in a load of speed bumps (I'll post some pictures that shows them putting in speed bumps on a road that needs to be totally resufaced - your tax dollars hard at work!).

I took the wife's Z4 out for a spin and facking 'ell. It was like being on horse and cart with wooden wheels, the base of my spine was ready to eject.

Neil.
Neil McRae is offline   United Kingdom
      02-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #8
MB London
Come as you are

Drives: F10 520d M-sport

Disco
MB London is offline   United Kingdom
      02-18-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
toxicnerve
Colonel

Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Man, I know how you feel. I just got my car this weekend gone and I have been on pothole watch ever since...but even on the ride home from the stealer I got distracted for like a second by the missus playing with the iDrive and ran right over a pothole!!

The pressure of avoiding potholes religiously is giving me white hairs!!
      02-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
When you ditching runflats mate
      02-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
LRS
Dead Head

Drives: E92 335d Coupe

I still have the RTFs, but even if I ditch them, I canít see things greatly improving based on the shear scale of the broken road surfaces. I also wouldnít mind something that can manage in the snow without having to resort to snow tyres.

Maybe this is all a sign that Iím getting fat and old and just want to sit back in an SUV tank, without a care in the world and just cruise along!
Sad I know, but a stress free drive is kind of what Iím after now. As well as the road conditions, Iím totally sick and tired of every a*shole on the road feeling that they need to tailgate your rear bumper by 1Ē, whenever Iím driving the 335D. The car seems to magnetically attract people that want to crash into you, which stresses me out, big time!

The 335D will be sadly, sadly missed, but, hey, I can always go for another one in the future.

So what SUV should I go for based on all that knowledge out there?

The XC90 is great value for money with discounts up to 30% and Iíve had Volvoís before and there quite bullet proof. Freelander 2 is the next option followed by the Jeep which I know very little about.

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19Ē 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
LRS is offline   United Kingdom
      02-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #12
SCN_Saul
http://www.seatcupra.net

Drives: E91 335i M Sport

Send a message via MSN to SCN_Saul
touareg?

good car, being replaced this year, but good deals to be had (take the 3L CR diesel)

friend of mine just binned his xc90 for an x5, xc90 blew 2 turbos, constant popping of ns headlight bulb, parking sensors keep failing and eating oil.
SCN_Saul is offline   United Kingdom
      02-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
doughboy
Major General

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
I still have the RTFs, but even if I ditch them, I canít see things greatly improving based on the shear scale of the broken road surfaces. I also wouldnít mind something that can manage in the snow without having to resort to snow tyres.
4wd is still no good on fat SUV summer tyres. My father in law has an X5 and that couldn't get off the drive in the snow.

Do you mean a Disco 3? Disco 2's are the old farmers wagons.

Non rfts, and maybe go down to 18" wheels, will make a big difference, you should try it.

The roads are often bad his time of year, they do start patching up come the spring time.....
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
      02-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
Master Gunner
Long Range Sniper!

Drives: E90 320d Exclusive Edition

I know where you're coming from. Mine has stayed in the garage for 5 weeks in the last 7 as I use a mix of A and B roads to get to work (some roads resemble farm tracks now).

When I did chance it one week I was so busy concentrating on missing the holes that I nearly clipped an guy in an Audi doing the same thing coming the other way... and the 'powers that be' have the cheek to preach road safety and slag off drivers!

Ah well summer's coming just hope the Council get their act together before then.

Rant over.

Trev
      02-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
andymc0001
Private First Class

Drives: bmw 335d se coupe

It's got to be range rover, forget the rest, going from a 335d to a disco 2 will end in tears. I ran mine on 18" and it was great for potholes, speedhumps, kerbs and didn't get stuck in a wet field like the x3, Q7 or cayenne.
andymc0001 is offline   United Kingdom
      02-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #16
Matt2008
Private First Class

Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
Hoping to pick our Disco 3 tom or Sat but with the snow coming down now, i wish i had it today

When i test drove it, i was shocked how good a ride it was (coming from a 335d with 19" runflats) and delibratly ran over potholes and broken surfaces.

It was pretty gutless on acceleration and motorway overtakes but just ordered the Evolve switch to give it more poke.

On the pothole issue, i had to be driven to A+E by the missus in the 335d today and i was gritting my teeth watching out for potholes in the passenger seat. Scary stuff indeed... and the road out of the hospital car park looked liked it had been carpet bombed - unbelievable!
      02-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #17
acerboo
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 335d lci

the 335 has been in the garage all during the bad weather, the other day it was dry and bright so i thought id give it a run down to bodiam castle. found a cracking backroad newly surfaced getting faster and faster really loving it, no other cars, went round a bend, bloody hell the road surface just disappeared! massive potholes everywhere. it was like an african backroad, if id been on a bike i doubt id be telling this. i just get really nervous now driving on our roads and find mysely using the disco more and more. roll on the election!

Last edited by acerboo; 02-19-2010 at 10:06 AM.
acerboo is offline   England
      02-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #18
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Sorry to hear of your woes Simon.

If you're going down the 4x4 route, then I agree about the pretenders and would defo. go for the Disco but preferably a Range Rover.

That said the XC90 does what it says on the tin and as you know I've experienced Volvo build quality.

Btw, summer tyres or not, I never got stuck once in all the snow and ploughed through some deep stuff either on the drive or up our street which is never cleared or gritted and is on a hill!! I know what you mean about the bloody potholes but my local Council is already fixing a good few of them albeit on major roads first.

As for people driving up your arse......jeez, tonight had a real cheeky little boy in an Audi A3 2.0tdi trying it on.
beemerbird is offline   England
      02-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #19
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!

Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
"The chosen one" lol re:17's on a 335d
      02-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #20
jwbmw
Major

Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
28 months and 65k miles in the 335d. Have never got stuck nor have I never enjoyed it.

I would be absolutely frustrated by a lumbering 4x4. Nothing better than sything down a known empty country road on the way home in the 335.

As Carl would say - You have to be a true believer!
jwbmw is offline   United Kingdom
      02-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #21
peterg1965
Brigadier General

Drives: E70 X5 xdrive35d M Sport

Second (or third) the XC90, they are a lovely car to drive and will tick your boxes, the deals available on new cars are truly outstanding as well.

Do not ignore the LR Disco 3 as well, I owned one for three years and it is a hugely competent car and SUV. My wife actually prefered it to the current outgoing SUV (9 days left) Mercedes GL -a 7 seat S Class on stilts, so that is praise indeed from someone who generally doesn't like cars. Try for an Disco 3 SE or better still an HSE and they have everything you need - auto is definately better than manual - same for the XC90 if you ask me.
peterg1965 is offline   United Kingdom
      02-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #22
grey man
Private

Drives: E 91 335d SE

I find 335D on 17" (still runflats) not bad at all over most pot holes, though still pretty bad on the largest ones - then again, so is my LandRover Defender even on its 750x16 tyres.

Until we get a government that fixes pot holes (I presume any damage to their cars comes on 'expenses'?) - its a problem for all cars, but very low profile tyres are only suited to first world countries with decent road, not the bankrupt 3rd world Britain Mr Brown and Co have made us into.
grey man is offline   United Kingdom