E90Post
 


Bimmertech
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Did the dealer mess up my car?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Kelvin1000
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (4)

Did the dealer mess up my car?

So I took the car for service and they call me and tell me they are replacing my fuel pump which had not given me any problems. They also update my software (overwriting my Dinan Stage 2).

I pick up my car and I am driving home but I notice that there is a bit of shacking when I give it more than 1/2 throttle in the higher gears? I keep noticing it and then I purposely get on it a little bit and POW! 1/2 engine light???

I pull over and turn it off then on again. The light goes away. I take off again and as soon as I hit the gas hard again it the 1/2 engine light goes on again and the car sputters like crazy. This time however, the service engine soon sign come on and stays on.

Now the car is acting strange even at idle and makes a very strange rattle noise when I turn it off. This is a classic case of how a dealer creates a bigger problem when trying to fix something else. Now I have to wait till monday to go back and see what is wrong.

Does anyone have any idea what they might have messed up? Whats involved in the process of switching fuel pumps that might have led to these problems which were not there before???

I am really worried.
Kelvin1000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
scalbert
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,711
iTrader: (7)

Take it back and be polite and see how quickly they respond. Most likely nothing major is broken. Perhaps they replacement pump is a dud.
scalbert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
33llipsi5
New Member
 
33llipsi5's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Classic...

Sounds like you got a remanufactured HPFP that was in worse shape than what you previously had...

Could also be some contamination from the install, try to run the car some more (but safely) to see if the situation magically resolves itself...

Good luck.
__________________
...
33llipsi5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Dan335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Dan335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6MT,w/sp. pack.
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: orange county NY

Posts: 1,788
iTrader: (2)

Dont drive yourself crazy trying to figure out whats wrong because you will never do it.Just take it back monday and let them sort it out. good luck.
Dan335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Kelvin1000
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (4)

It almost sounds and feels like a spark plug is either not working of a cylinder is misfiring... A weird rattle at startup and when shutting down.
Kelvin1000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,548
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
It almost sounds and feels like a spark plug is either not working of a cylinder is misfiring... A weird rattle at startup and when shutting down.
Botched install, I bet they fouled your plugs during the HPFP replacement.
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
Kelvin1000
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Botched install, I bet they fouled your plugs during the HPFP replacement.
You think they mixed up the sparkplugs or could they have messed them up some other way... What parts of the engine do they have to mess with to change the hpfp???
Kelvin1000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #8
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
 
dlbrooks18's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 3,565
iTrader: (2)

are they going to flash your ECU back to Dinan stage 2??
dlbrooks18 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
Kelvin1000
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (4)

I would have to go back to the Dinan shop and they do it for free.
Kelvin1000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
canesr1
Lieutenant
 
canesr1's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Metallic Black
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: East Coast

Posts: 592
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
I would have to go back to the Dinan shop and they do it for free.
Please update us with regards to the flashes performance with the new HPFP once everything else gets worked out.
I'm curious to see if you get that initial rev1 power back like others seem to think.
__________________

2007 E92 Metallic Black, Black interior, brushed aluminum, 6MT, Nav, 6FL, 20% ceramic tints, OEM Front Lip, Dinan Stage 2 Rev2, 19''s M6 Reps
canesr1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
Kelvin1000
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (4)

I just hope that they didn't mess up something big in my car... It sputters and sounds horrible.

I said it once and I'll say it again: I hate dealers.
Kelvin1000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,548
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
You think they mixed up the sparkplugs or could they have messed them up some other way... What parts of the engine do they have to mess with to change the hpfp???
Kelvin

It is my understanding that the the spark plugs must be pulled (best case replaced) prior to replacing the fuel pump, otherwise the issues you are experiencing will occur. It is unlikely you have a remanf. pump because I believe they were removed from inventory, unless you have a shady dealer trying to unload remanf. pumps. Good luck.
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #13
Kelvin1000
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (4)

Thanks, I hope and pray that it is just a sparkplug issue.

I don't even want to try to mess with it so I will take it back to the dealership tomorrow.
Kelvin1000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
NinetyEight740
Murderin' OC One Car @ A Time
 
Drives: 98 E38, 06 E90
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: HB, CA

Posts: 5,243
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
'06 E90  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to NinetyEight740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Kelvin

It is my understanding that the the spark plugs must be pulled (best case replaced) prior to replacing the fuel pump, otherwise the issues you are experiencing will occur. It is unlikely you have a remanf. pump because I believe they were removed from inventory, unless you have a shady dealer trying to unload remanf. pumps. Good luck.
WRONG!!! Spark plugs do not get touched during a HPP replacement. There have been plenty of instances where the new HPP's are faulty and will get replaced again. There are also some problems occuring with the programming where the adaptations dont clear completely and cause a misfire. Bring it back to the dealer and they will fix it back up for you.
NinetyEight740 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #15
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,548
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
Thanks, I hope and pray that it is just a sparkplug issue.

I don't even want to try to mess with it so I will take it back to the dealership tomorrow.

Either way you should be covered. Nothing more frustrating than going back for a new problem after service.
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #16
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,548
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
WRONG!!! Spark plugs do not get touched during a HPP replacement. There have been plenty of instances where the new HPP's are faulty and will get replaced again. There are also some problems occuring with the programming where the adaptations dont clear completely and cause a misfire. Bring it back to the dealer and they will fix it back up for you.
My tech pulls the plugs each time during replacement. Maybe the tech failed to do the adaption reset, but I imagine that would have turned up on the test drive.

3. After replacement, clear the adaptation values of the high-pressure flow control valve in the DME by selecting the path:

* Service Functions

* Drive

* Motor Electronics

* Adjustment Programs

* Clear Adaptations, and then Test plan

* (2): Reset adaptive values.
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #17
Kelvin1000
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (4)

Great info as always bubbles!!!

I will mention this to them tomorrow morning to help them out a bit.

The good thing is that they hook up the car to their computer and it pretty much tells them exactly what the problem is.

I am keeping my fingers crossed... I love my car.

Thanks for the replies.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
My tech pulls the plugs each time during replacement. Maybe the tech failed to do the adaption reset, but I imagine that would have turned up on the test drive.

3. After replacement, clear the adaptation values of the high-pressure flow control valve in the DME by selecting the path:

* Service Functions

* Drive

* Motor Electronics

* Adjustment Programs

* Clear Adaptations, and then Test plan

* (2): Reset adaptive values.
Kelvin1000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2008, 11:58 PM   #18
sd390r
Lieutenant Colonel
 
sd390r's Avatar
 
Drives: AW M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 1,657
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [0.00]
my second fuel pump failed too LOL
__________________
2008 E90 M3 - Sold
2006 Evo IX SE - Sold
2008 E90 335i - Sold
sd390r is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2008, 01:02 AM   #19
Ghost170
Brigadier General
 
Ghost170's Avatar
 
Drives: VIP Sport 335!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: N CA

Posts: 3,358
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
I had the same problem, half engine light plus ses light. They are replacing my fuel pump again.
__________________
07 E92 335!

AA AE GP HR LC M3 KW BMS BMW LUX CYBA STRI WORK HELIX MTECH LSWEEE(Wavetrac)!
Ghost170 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #20
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,548
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
Great info as always bubbles!!!

I will mention this to them tomorrow morning to help them out a bit.

The good thing is that they hook up the car to their computer and it pretty much tells them exactly what the problem is.

I am keeping my fingers crossed... I love my car.

Thanks for the replies.
Good luck man. Did you send off your ECU for the Flash Classic?
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2008, 07:48 AM   #21
Kelvin1000
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (4)

Not yet because they told me they were working on an offical process which they would be posting later.
Kelvin1000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #22
Kelvin1000
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,190
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Good luck man. Did you send off your ECU for the Flash Classic?
It would be interesting to see if I notice an improvement in Rev 2 with the new fuel pump. I might just have to try it before going through the trouble of sending the ECU to Dinan for Rev 1

My car is still at the shop and those service guys are horrible about answering phone calls...

I worry about this stupid car like its a baby.
Kelvin1000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST