E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone had upper endoscopy?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
mccannable
First Lieutenant
20
Rep
314
Posts

Drives: 06 330i mt
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: central fl

iTrader: (2)

Anyone had upper endoscopy?

I have been experiencing symptoms of GERD and silent heartburn. I made an appointment with a specialist and I am sure she is gonna send me for an upper endoscopy. I'm a bit nervous because I haven't had any real medical procedures done. Anyone care to share their experience?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
49
Rep
2,376
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Ever see Deep Throat? Never had an endoscopy but I suspect it is better than the colonoscopy!
__________________
Current: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg., Conv. Pkg., everything but Cold Weather Pkg!
Gone: 2008 550, Space Grey, Sports Package, Sport Auto Transmission.
Sold: 2004 545i (U.S.), Steptronic, Silver Gray.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
67
Rep
1,885
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Determines Value

iTrader: (0)

^Colonoscopies today are painless... you are out for the entire thing... the DR could do to you whatever he wanted and you'd never know.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
chillindrdude
Private
7
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: Audi S4, Porsche 944, Tacoma
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

if possible, i would get the upper endoscopy with the anesthesia administered by an anesthesiologist or anesthesia provider.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 03:25 AM   #5
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
76
Rep
1,834
Posts

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

I've had a tube stuck up my PENIS - don't be a bitch.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
112
Rep
5,294
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Man up. I've had a polyp removed from my vocal cord twice, had a deviated septum fixed, and had two colonoscopies. Scoping is painless and you'll likely be out for the whole thing and be none the wiser of what was done.

I get really mad at people when they say they are scared to have things like colonoscopies done. It's completely painless and you get to lose a few pounds doing the prep. Grow the fuck up.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2014 CC R-Line DSG | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
2,524
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Those of us with underlying health issues still get to bitch. Being insulin-dependent and having to do that cleanse is what frightened me the most. I only had a mild sedative for the c-scope and was awake the whole time. But things WERE clean for the camera!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
finaloption
First Lieutenant
finaloption's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
325
Posts

Drives: '13 f30 n26
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

worst part is the prep and all that nasty shit they make you drink
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #9
Bobble
Major
Bobble's Avatar
No_Country
20
Rep
1,224
Posts

Drives: E90 335i/RIP E46 323Ci/E30 325
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Yep had one before along with Transesophageal echo. They sedate, worse thing is a scratchy throat afterwards. Do not put it off, GERD and such can lead to cancer which is not something you want to deal with. Trust me on that one.

Colonoscopy now a days is a piece of cake, if you have no underlying issues the prep's not that bad you just piss out your ass for 24 hours.
__________________
08 E90 335i Monaco Blue Gray Dakota ZPP ZSP Heated Seats CA Step w/Paddles iPod
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Strongbark
Brigadier General
Strongbark's Avatar
No_Country
107
Rep
3,723
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 on order
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock
I've had a tube stuck up my PENIS - don't be a bitch.
I had ulcerative colitis for three years and decided to have my colon removed.

I was knocked out for the catheter when it was inserted. When it was yanked out I was awake and that was a nasty experience. The nurse stood at the other side of the room holding onto the tube and counted down 3...2...1!

Also had a drain tube removed from my lower intestines which was another whole weird experience.
__________________
Strongbark

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic32890_2.gif
'13 Mini GP #485 of 500 For Sale
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #11
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
Templar's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
1,841
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Man up. I've had a polyp removed from my vocal cord twice, had a deviated septum fixed, and had two colonoscopies. Scoping is painless and you'll likely be out for the whole thing and be none the wiser of what was done.

I get really mad at people when they say they are scared to have things like colonoscopies done. It's completely painless and you get to lose a few pounds doing the prep. Grow the fuck up.
Seriously?

Sounds like you need a drink or two...
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'15 Ford F-250 - Lariat, 6.7 Powerstroke Turbo-diesel
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #12
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
112
Rep
5,294
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption View Post
worst part is the prep and all that nasty shit they make you drink
They have great prep options now. I had Prepopik for my last one and it was like 4oz of fruity trasting drink followed by 10oz of water, twice. It was REALLY easy. Some old school guys still have you do the whole gallon which is not easy to get down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar
Seriously?

Sounds like you need a drink or two...
My rant wasn't directed at anyone and I didn't mean for it to sound harsh but I'm shocked at how many people I ran into who give me a face when I tell them I had a colonoscopy. It grinds my gears that people would seemingly rather die than have a doctor perform a completely painless procedure, simply because it involves their asshole.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2014 CC R-Line DSG | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #13
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
Templar's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
1,841
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
My rant wasn't directed at anyone and I didn't mean for it to sound harsh but I'm shocked at how many people I ran into who give me a face when I tell them I had a colonoscopy. It grinds my gears that people would seemingly rather die than have a doctor perform a completely painless procedure, simply because it involves their asshole.
Maybe it's just the fact that something is getting rammed up your ass that is making them uneasy, not necessarily the thought of pain

While I haven't had one yet (not old enough), I am certainly not looking forward to it. Not because I am afraid of pain or anything like that (I've been through worse), but because I don't really look forward to the prep for it. From what I have heard, that's the worst part about the procedure.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'15 Ford F-250 - Lariat, 6.7 Powerstroke Turbo-diesel
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #14
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
112
Rep
5,294
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar
Maybe it's just the fact that something is getting rammed up your ass that is making them uneasy, not necessarily the thought of pain

While I haven't had one yet (not old enough), I am certainly not looking forward to it. Not because I am afraid of pain or anything like that (I've been through worse), but because I don't really look forward to the prep for it. From what I have heard, that's the worst part about the procedure.
There is actually a lot of talk about lowering that age suggestion. I'm only 33 and have had two but I have family history of colon cancer and my brother had a very large polyp removed when he was only 31.

The prep isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. The gallon jugs of stuff are largely a thing of the past. I just ate lemon jello for a day and pissed out of my ass about 10 times. It's annoying but the peace of mind afterword makes it all worth while. I also have a kid and another on the way so I look at maintaining my health much differently than I used to.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2014 CC R-Line DSG | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #15
upstatedoc
Drone Expert
upstatedoc's Avatar
82
Rep
1,680
Posts

Drives: '09 BMW 328ix
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crisp, Baconia

iTrader: (1)

Used to be people complained about the procedure itself. Back in the day, the procedure was called sigmoidoscopy and the scope only checked out the first 3rd of the colon. AND people were not sedated. NOW people complain about the prep because most people have no recollection of the procedure due to sedation.
__________________
2014 S.S. P938 Nightmare
2014 Dodge Durango R/T //Diablosports Tuning
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #16
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
Templar's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
1,841
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
There is actually a lot of talk about lowering that age suggestion. I'm only 33 and have had two but I have family history of colon cancer and my brother had a very large polyp removed when he was only 31.

The prep isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. The gallon jugs of stuff are largely a thing of the past. I just ate lemon jello for a day and pissed out of my ass about 10 times. It's annoying but the peace of mind afterword makes it all worth while. I also have a kid and another on the way so I look at maintaining my health much differently than I used to.
Well if that's the case then it doesn't sound as bad. All I remember is my dad having to drink that gallon jug of nastiness and shitting his brains out. That's what freaked me out, but if that jug is pretty much gone then I'm not worried. I have nice wipes in the house for my ass anyway
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'15 Ford F-250 - Lariat, 6.7 Powerstroke Turbo-diesel
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #17
Inspired
Colonel
Inspired's Avatar
42
Rep
2,261
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

iTrader: (2)

Wait you need a endoscopy for GERD?

I had GERD before and I was prescribed Nexium and it worked
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #18
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
2,524
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

My last one was probably 20 years ago, and it wasn't a large quantity that went down my throat. Butt man, the quantity that came out my ass seemed to be far more than a gallon/few pounds.

On a positive note, I did find that piece of gum I swallowed in 3rd grade
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #19
bimmerfrk
Second Lieutenant
bimmerfrk's Avatar
10
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 4dr
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC & some PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
My last one was probably 20 years ago, and it wasn't a large quantity that went down my throat. Butt man, the quantity that came out my ass seemed to be far more than a gallon/few pounds.

On a positive note, I did find that piece of gum I swallowed in 3rd grade
</thread>


Please....
__________________
2011 M3 Sedan : Alpine White / Fox Interior : Escort X50 Hardwired
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #20
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
67
Rep
1,885
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Determines Value

iTrader: (0)

Dude the prep for a colonoscopy is the worst thing in the world... I thought I was gonna have to empty a pool and refill it. The procedure was a joke.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 02:07 AM   #21
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
76
Rep
1,834
Posts

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbark View Post
I had ulcerative colitis for three years and decided to have my colon removed.

I was knocked out for the catheter when it was inserted. When it was yanked out I was awake and that was a nasty experience. The nurse stood at the other side of the room holding onto the tube and counted down 3...2...1!

Also had a drain tube removed from my lower intestines which was another whole weird experience.
In the peepee? I had an old guy (somewhere between Janitor and male nurse) do it in 10 seconds - don't even remember if the curtains were closed.
All because my mother thought it would be a good idea to feed me barbacue pork fried rice right after a routine appendictomy.. however it wasn't all bad on my second hospital stay - I had a young female doctor gently probe my anus while soothing me in a voice (now known as "ASMR").. still wouldn't say it was worth it. However in retrospect some of those nurses were horny as hell..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #22
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
2,524
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

"Teen-age enema nurses, in bondage"
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST