E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > G37 vs Genesis Coupe



View Poll Results: G37 vs Genesis Coupe
Genesis Coupe 79 52.67%
G37 71 47.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #67
Ender514
General
 
Ender514's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philly

Posts: 21,002
iTrader: (0)

im not a fan of either one...but i would have to pick the G37

i hate the front end of the genesis
Ender514 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #68
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
 
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Posts: 4,742
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
i hate when people say things like that.
+1000000....
__________________
Mr.Metak2you is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #69
Quickstrike
New Member
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

I would imagine Hyundai's resale value still sucks.

If this is a good car, could be a great bargain on the used car market.
Quickstrike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #70
Boost Gomez
Colonel
 
Boost Gomez's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Miami

Posts: 2,367
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Haha, they're the same exact car. Hyundai fails.
Boost Gomez is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #71
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
 
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Posts: 4,742
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez View Post
Haha, they're the same exact car. Hyundai fails.
You are missing the point....
__________________
Mr.Metak2you is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #72
Boost Gomez
Colonel
 
Boost Gomez's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Miami

Posts: 2,367
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
You are missing the point....
I understand the point being that the Genesis is a better value, but the severe lack of originality is a bigger statement IMO.
Boost Gomez is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #73
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
 
NewSong's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Irvine

Posts: 1,468
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez View Post
I understand the point being that the Genesis is a better value, but the severe lack of originality is a bigger statement IMO.
Exactly my point.

If people have seen me post here, I'm as far away from a badge whore as possible, but even I know that car purchasing decisions come down to a few factors:

1) Affordability - We buy what we can afford
2) Performance - We buy what entertains us
3) Aesthetics - We buy what looks good
4) Reliability - We buy good craftmanship

#3 is a huge failure for Hyundai, even the Genesis, because both the Sedan and Coupe can be mistaken for other cars easily. Just this morning, a co-worker thought who was looking over my shoulder thought the Genesis was a modded G35/37. I had to point out that it was a Hyundai.

Hyundai hasn't defined a unique aesthetic quality to their cars.

BMW = Kidney Grills / Angle Eyes
Mercedes = Bisected Grill
Audi = Stupid looking Olympic circles
Ferrari = The raging Pony, and huge side vents
Corvette = The 4 lights you usually see after one has rolled by you.
Porsche = The beetle back (from the rear engine setup)

What is unique about a Hyundai that someone can readily identify? Nothing, and that's why Hyundai as a brand lacks any badge recognition.
__________________
He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
NewSong is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #74
Boost Gomez
Colonel
 
Boost Gomez's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Miami

Posts: 2,367
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Very valid points NewSong. Hyundai isn't going to establish an identity any time soon with a car like the Genesis.
Boost Gomez is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #75
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,197
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
BMW = Kidney Grills / Angle Eyes
Mercedes = Bisected Grill
Audi = Stupid looking Olympic circles
Ferrari = The raging Pony, and huge side vents
Corvette = The 4 lights you usually see after one has rolled by you.
Porsche = The beetle back (from the rear engine setup)

What is unique about a Hyundai that someone can readily identify? Nothing, and that's why Hyundai as a brand lacks any badge recognition.
As far as brand recognition goes, BMW, Audi and Porsche have it down better than all the rest of 'em.

BMW has the quad angels, the kidneys, the hoffmeister kink, and a recognized form of high-tension sheet metal design.

Audi has the single-frame grille, a similar basic template for the front and back, and LEDs.

Porsche...well Porsche doesn't really change.

Mercedes...they have grilles that grow twice in size with every generation (lol)...and...not much more other than a similar overall design theme which tends to be a hit and miss.

Nissan is starting to get better. The Maxima and 370Z are closely linked, but the other models are somewhat isolated, save for the fastback roofline.

Lexus has the melted soap look ().

Toyota " " " " " "

Volkswagen...yes and no. At the current moment they're a little mixed up.

Ferrari has the circular taillights, which should be quads, but the 599 and Cali effed that up.

Blah blah, then we come to Hyundai, which literally has NOTHING in the form of brand unison. If it wants to move upscale it's going to need to form an identity.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #76
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
 
DougLikesBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plano, Texas

Posts: 2,659
iTrader: (0)

Good sir, may I remind you that, Ferrari has red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
As far as brand recognition goes, BMW, Audi and Porsche have it down better than all the rest of 'em.

BMW has the quad angels, the kidneys, the hoffmeister kink, and a recognized form of high-tension sheet metal design.

Audi has the single-frame grille, a similar basic template for the front and back, and LEDs.

Porsche...well Porsche doesn't really change.

Mercedes...they have grilles that grow twice in size with every generation (lol)...and...not much more other than a similar overall design theme which tends to be a hit and miss.

Nissan is starting to get better. The Maxima and 370Z are closely linked, but the other models are somewhat isolated, save for the fastback roofline.

Lexus has the melted soap look ().

Toyota " " " " " "

Volkswagen...yes and no. At the current moment they're a little mixed up.

Ferrari has the circular taillights, which should be quads, but the 599 and Cali effed that up.

Blah blah, then we come to Hyundai, which literally has NOTHING in the form of brand unison. If it wants to move upscale it's going to need to form an identity.
DougLikesBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #77
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Slow/Fat
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 517
iTrader: (1)

Some people value function over fashion. I would rather have a car that was a hoot to drive but wasn't the biggest eye catcher, or most original... over a sexy car that drove like blahhh.
xxForgedxx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #78
///Mandy
N54 <3
 
///Mandy's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Here.

Posts: 1,559
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
i hate when people say things like that.
Me too.

Hyundai is stepped up in the game, it's about time people stop looking at Hyundai as a joke.
__________________

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
///Mandy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #79
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,197
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Good sir, may I remind you that, Ferrari has red.
Why thank you kind sir for reminding me. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
Some people value function over fashion. I would rather have a car that was a hoot to drive but wasn't the biggest eye catcher, or most original... over a sexy car that drove like blahhh.
I remember reading about some survey results stating that, for the general car buyer, looks are one of the largest factors alongside reliability.

And lol, the imaginary car you described could definitely be an Alfa Romeo.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2009, 12:34 AM   #80
gshb
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LA

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

if everyone bought function over form, there would be no gtr critics! and that just cant be!
gshb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #81
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
 
NewSong's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Irvine

Posts: 1,468
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshb View Post
if everyone bought function over form, there would be no gtr critics! and that just cant be!


Plain and simple, looks count A LOT.
__________________
He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
NewSong is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2009, 02:37 AM   #82
hks786
Major General
 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 5,348
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Ferrari has the circular taillights, which should be quads, but the 599 and Cali effed that up.
.
+123456789!

I've always liked the quad taillights. Reminds me of my fav models like the 355. It looks weird with 2 lights.
__________________
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #83
holson
First Lieutenant
 
holson's Avatar
 
Drives: Enterprise Rent-A-Car
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Watertown, MA

Posts: 348
iTrader: (0)

I like the 4-cyl turbo version of this car - gotta admit, it's a great looking car for less than $20k brand new..
holson is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #84
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Slow/Fat
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 517
iTrader: (1)

The bottom line is this:

It's a VERY good car for the money, it shouldn't even BE compared in any category with a luxury sport coupe by a big name like Infiniti in any category considering it costs 30-40% less and is made by a smaller name in the business... but that's what makes it so great. IT IS being compared, that's a statement in it self be it the looks department and or performance. I can assure you with the foundation it provides (4 cylinder turbo, rwd) it has MUCH more potential at a fraction of the cost. Especially considering the Infiniti would cost about $10,000 OVER the original cost between supporting mods, forced induction kit, tuning/labor costs to get into 300-400whp.
xxForgedxx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #85
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
 
OBI_agent's Avatar
 
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dubai

Posts: 2,094
iTrader: (0)

Hyundai Genesis coupe FTW!

It doesn't look bad(Good bodykit and good rims will make it perfect).And with the turbo engine as an option, a RWD turbo Mitsubishi Eclipse has returned.... tuner's dream have come true...
__________________
11 corvette C6
OBI_agent is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #86
gshb
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LA

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

its called segment up benchmarking. the more hyundai tells you their azera is better than a 7 series, the more you'll believe it. the more hyundai tells you the gensis is better than a g infiniti, the more you swear they are right. the car isnt even out and some of you look like you belong on hyundai forums. like modding a cheap car with go fast parts has never been done before. should check out a cobalt ss, you can buy that now.
gshb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #87
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Slow/Fat
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 517
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshb View Post
its called segment up benchmarking. the more hyundai tells you their azera is better than a 7 series, the more you'll believe it. the more hyundai tells you the gensis is better than a g infiniti, the more you swear they are right. the car isnt even out and some of you look like you belong on hyundai forums. like modding a cheap car with go fast parts has never been done before. should check out a cobalt ss, you can buy that now.
There is a difference between a budget performance car with front wheel drive that comes in coupe or sedan and a genuinely attractive REAR wheel drive turbo 4 coupe.

I personally think you're just a hater.

RWD and Factory F/I has been a favorite of many for a long time and it is something we have been missing out on for quite some time... in affordable form that is, or something even available in the US. People love the combination, they love it MORE when it's affordable.

I would rather have a good looking car with all the attributes I desire at a good price with tons of potential than a pay TWICE as much for a car with a badge that makes me accepted by other people (who usually don't know shit about cars) with expensive cars.
xxForgedxx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #88
gshb
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LA

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

thats fine, nothing wrong with that. i dont find the gen coupe attractive. why you hating on people who think it looks like crap? my money is on the 370z for attractive, affordable rwd coupe. im not going to buy an ugly car and spend more money to make it look good and make it go fast to fit in with people like you.
gshb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST