E90Post

MaxcySpeed & Company

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Windshield repair

01-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
laurenty
Private

Drives: 2008 328i

Garage List
2008 328is  [0.00]
Windshield repair

A rock hit my windshield this morning and I got a small crack (1/4 inch maybe)
right in the middle of it.

Anyone know a good repair place in the Riverside / San Bernardino area?
Any luck with the mobile repair guys?

Thanks!
laurenty is offline   United_States
      01-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
fotios335i
Major General

Drives: 12 BSM F30 sport/msport 335i

thats funny, the exact same thing happened to me this morning. I want to get it fixed because I dont want a replacement or anyone messing with my car. Anyone ever try the kits you can get from auto parts stores?

2012 335i sport to full Msport, M adaptive and vss, sport 8 AT, fully loaded, Black saphire, black dakota leather, mperformance carbon interior with shifter, M performance grills, rear spoiler, front splitter, side sill extensions, MPPK, MPE exhaust, morr alloys vs8.2's with michelin pss, p3 gauge, msport wheel, etc, etc
fotios335i is offline   United_States
      01-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
cgnahc
Major

Drives: TiAg E90 ZSP

I had a mobile repair guy try to fix my windshield. Let me just tell you it will never look like the ads. All the suction and glue will not make it like new.

Basically, all you can do is to stop the cracks from getting wider. You can do this yourself with a kit at your local auto store. Or you can spend something like $80 for the windshield guy to suck and glue.

If it is in your visual view, then that may be a problem. Mine is on the drivers side on the lower quarter of the windshield width. It bothered me a lot initially, but now I hardly notice it. Mainly because of all the other bug crap on other parts of the windshield.
      01-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
ra2fanatic
Lieutenant General

Drives: '08 AW E92 335i

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ra2fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgnahc View Post
I had a mobile repair guy try to fix my windshield. Let me just tell you it will never look like the ads. All the suction and glue will not make it like new.

Basically, all you can do is to stop the cracks from getting wider. You can do this yourself with a kit at your local auto store. Or you can spend something like $80 for the windshield guy to suck and glue.

If it is in your visual view, then that may be a problem. Mine is on the drivers side on the lower quarter of the windshield width. It bothered me a lot initially, but now I hardly notice it. Mainly because of all the other bug crap on other parts of the windshield.
yup, had my insurance send a mobile guy out, it didn't help for shit. but if u guys wanna get ur windshield replaced hit up

GTO Auto Glass in LA off Misson Blvd. mexicanbimmer told me about them and i hear they do an awesome job. its like $500 for e90s $600 for e92s i believe.

hope this helps

Camden S...Stg3ver2
ra2fanatic is offline   United_States
      01-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
E92-Lighting
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E92 LCI Msport 335i AW + CR

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgnahc View Post

+1 on that
      01-21-2009, 02:56 AM   #6
rpcannibus
Private First Class

Drives: 08 e92 335i w/Dinan Stage 2

Send a message via AIM to rpcannibus
Hit up these guy's they work with all insurance companies https://www.safelite.com/index.jsp ... I used them about five months ago, they came to my house and replaced the windshield on the spot, I just paid my deductible and that was it.
2008 BMW 335I Coupe| Jet Black on Coral Red/black Dakota Leather | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Active Steering | Comfort Access | Front Heated Seats | Park Distance Control | ETA November 12th. | Arrived on November 13th 2007. | Lemoned February 12th 2010
Dinan Stage 2 Performance Engine Software. | Vorsteiner VRS Aero Boot Lid. | Vorsteiner V-35 Hood | H&R Sport Springs | H&R Rear Sway Bar
rpcannibus is offline   Ukraine
      01-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
Gearcraft
misadventurer

Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotios335i View Post
thats funny, the exact same thing happened to me this morning. I want to get it fixed because I dont want a replacement or anyone messing with my car. Anyone ever try the kits you can get from auto parts stores?
yup tried it. unless you do it perfectly once and get the stuff into all of the cracks then it might work.

i advice you to stay away from those kits and get it professionally done ASAP for maybe 60-80 bucks. the purpose is just as said before, to avoid the cracks from spreading. tape the area with a clean tape for now so dirt wont get in. if moisture seeps through the cracks and the temperature changes rapidly that thing might spread.

you can also get a new windshield but then again another rock might hit that new windshield. which i hope never happens if you'll get a new one.
      01-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
wj4
Major General

Drives: E90 manual 335i

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcannibus View Post
Hit up these guy's they work with all insurance companies https://www.safelite.com/index.jsp ... I used them about five months ago, they came to my house and replaced the windshield on the spot, I just paid my deductible and that was it.
Yep, I went through Safelite when I got my crack.
wj4 is offline   United_States
      01-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General

Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to PaulBailey@ltbmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotios335i View Post
Interesting sense of humor
PaulBailey@ltbmw is offline   Italy
      01-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
fotios335i
Major General

Drives: 12 BSM F30 sport/msport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPaulBaiLeyx View Post
Interesting sense of humor
thanks

2012 335i sport to full Msport, M adaptive and vss, sport 8 AT, fully loaded, Black saphire, black dakota leather, mperformance carbon interior with shifter, M performance grills, rear spoiler, front splitter, side sill extensions, MPPK, MPE exhaust, morr alloys vs8.2's with michelin pss, p3 gauge, msport wheel, etc, etc
fotios335i is offline   United_States
      01-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
NinetyEight740
Murderin' OC One Car @ A Time

Drives: 98 E38, 06 E90

Garage List
'06 E90  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to NinetyEight740
I had mine fixed and it looks horrible still... gonna be replacing my windshield in the next couple of months with a nice new BMW windshield
NinetyEight740 is offline   United_States
      04-02-2009, 05:39 AM   #12
tokmik
Registered

Drives: none

Sorry to break the news but a 12-13inch crack = new windshield. They wont repair a crack that big because it's deemed unsafe. Ya, you can't repair a crack, only chips. Do you have insurance? It's considered a non responsible claim, all you do is pay your deductible. Shoulda kept your baby in storage.

Replacement Auto Glass
      04-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
samurai1200
Second Lieutenant

Drives: An 81 Honda! How dare you!

haha, "break" the news.

anyway, he said he had a 1/4 inch crack, not 12-13 inches.

anyway, i recently had a crack put all the way across my windshield, obvious replacement. spectrum collision (irvine) put a new BMW one in (as well as doing my other body work) and did a great job. looks like new.

I don't remember the price, but i can look it up on my invoice sheet if you want.
samurai1200 is offline   United_States