E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > White stuff all over my car after car wash?!?

05-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

White stuff all over my car after car wash?!?

Last week when I saw a bunch of this white stuff all over my car when I went outside in the morning I thought the local bird farm came over and dropped an attack on my new car. Although I knew it wasn't bird doo because it wipped off as if it was dust. Today though I know it's from the car wash because the white stuff was gone for a week and today it came back (got my car washed yesterday).

Anyone else get a bunch of white marks all over the roof of their car the day after the car wash? Funny thing is, it's really only on the roof, although I had a few spots on the trunk and doors. Could this be soap that wasn't washed off or something? Just find it odd. Doesn't happen to my parents cars and they get their cars washed at the same place and have been for over 20 years.

The good news is it wipes off super easily, as though it was just dust. The bad news is my car looks like 20 seagulls attacked it for over an hour until I can get out there and wipe it off (only takes a couple of minutes). And from how it worked last week, the white stuff comes back after one wiping but then after the second it stays gone. So I guess I get to look forward to another wipe down of the car tomorrow.

Anyone else having this problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
bilbarstow
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i SG 6M ZPP ZSP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Probably hard water spotting from the drops drying after the wash. Did they dry your car thoroughly ? Or if you are parked outside, could be contaminants in rain/dew water spotting your car. I hope that when you are wiping it off you are at least using microfiber cloths to take it up (still will leave tiny microscratches - you are pulling minerals across the surface of your clearcoat) - even better, use a quick-detailer spray when you wipe (e.g. Griots SpeedShine, or Meguirs QD or similar) - they have a very small amount of wax and surficants that help float the contaminants and re-shine the wax surface.

I hope this helps.
      05-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
mcdec
Rep
Drives: 325xi TiAg terra

Just like dust and wipes off easy and comes back? I would guess POLLEN from plants. It is the time of the year!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdec
Just like dust and wipes off easy and comes back? I would guess POLLEN from plants. It is the time of the year!
Last time I checked pollen isn't white.
Appreciate 0