E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Mini Cooper S vs Honda S2000 *exowners PLZ chime in!!!

05-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
kobezklutch
wants a new 1er
Rep
Drives:

Mini Cooper S vs Honda S2000 *exowners PLZ chime in!!!

so guys i figure i wont be able to get a 135 for awhile since i'm still in school however i still want a fun car to drive! An e46 3 is out cause i wont have time to maintain it no matter how much i still love the look. Also i noticed theres a ton of ex-mini/s2k owners so i thought i'd ask here, HELP ME DECIDE!

my situation/wants/needs:
  • currently in college, but i want something FUN
  • fuel economy since money's a little tight
  • reliability for the same reason, and i wont have too much time to DIY
  • dont really drive ppl around but wouldn't mind a backseat just so i can throw stuff there(ie: will s2000 trunk suffice for backpack, books, other school related junk)
  • wont be tracking the car
  • oh and i'll be going to school in San Diego so the vert wont be a problem(i really dont care one way or the other)
  • i know the s2k has an amazing gearbox but how does the mini compare?
      05-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
kobezklutch
wants a new 1er
Rep
Drives:

cmon guys i know theres a ton of ex owners of both these cars!!!
      05-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Wait wait wait, are you telling me that my S2K had a trunk?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
th535is
Rep
Drives:

I don't own either of those cars but I have driven both and currently drive an '07 MX-5 which is essentially the same size as the S2000. While the S2000 is amazing to drive, the Cooper S is pretty much the same and it has a lot more space. I'm going to school right now too and it gets really old trying to figure out how to pack things into my car when I go home and also having to take someone else's car if there is more than 1 other person is a little annoying as well. I will say that convertibles are a ton of fun but were I to buy a new car and couldn't get a 1 series, I would probably go for the Cooper S.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Well their two completely different animals. The cooper has tons of space for its petite size. And well the S2K doesn't, but it hauls. So your basically sacrificing performance for space! Good luck with the buy my friend.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I'm finishing up college in a few months and I've had my s2k for almost 4yrs. I say go for it. I often thought about trading in my s2k for a Cooper S but I know that I dont really need it. I honestly can think of 2 occasions when the trunk didnt suffice. The mini takes premium fuel along with the s2000 but it does get 4-5mpg better overall. I would expect the Honda to be more reliable as well. Sheeesh...i will miss this car. Drive them both. They both are a kick in the pants to drive!!
      05-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
e904me
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
Wait wait wait, are you telling me that my S2K had a trunk?
Yes it has a great trunk. I love the trunk on the S2000. I love how it holds stuff in the middle.

I have never driven a mini but it looks boring compared to the S. Just the times when you can pull back the top and listen to the sound of the engine are worth getting the S for.

I'm in a similiar boat as I'm getting a 1 and the payments for both are going to kill me. But I love the S so much that I'm considering refinancing to reduce the payment and keep both!:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90%M View Post
Yes it has a great trunk. I love the trunk on the S2000. I love how it holds stuff in the middle.

I have never driven a mini but it looks boring compared to the S. Just the times when you can pull back the top and listen to the sound of the engine are worth getting the S for.

I'm in a similiar boat as I'm getting a 1 and the payments for both are going to kill me. But I love the S so much that I'm considering refinancing to reduce the payment and keep both!:biggrin:
He's just playing around man. Chuck had an s2000.
      05-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
e904me
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
He's just playing around man. Chuck had an s2000.
I knew he was playing around. Sorry it didn't come across. Wordsmith not my strong suite. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
danmcg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

I currently have a Cooper S and love it. Never driven a car that is as much fun to drive as it. I test drove it at the dealer and left right then with that car. Surprising amount of space for something of its size. And how much performance are you really sacrificing? The Cooper S is quick as hell and corners like its on rails! Perhaps the s2k is faster? Or corners better? Never driven one so I can't really compare the two. But at that point I think you are really just splitting hairs. Go with whatever appeals to you in the looks department and you will be happy either way.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #11
kobezklutch
wants a new 1er
Rep
Drives:

Thanks guys! im leaning towards the s2k, and i dont like driving ppl around anyway so this will give me an excuse i guess. as for transporting stuff, im probably gonna need a truck or something to get my bed out there so i'll try and take everything big at once. Also, the more i think about it the more the reliability factor weighs in.

again thanks!!!
      05-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobezklutch View Post
Thanks guys! im leaning towards the s2k, and i dont like driving ppl around anyway so this will give me an excuse i guess. as for transporting stuff, im probably gonna need a truck or something to get my bed out there so i'll try and take everything big at once. Also, the more i think about it the more the reliability factor weighs in.

again thanks!!!

BANG BANG!!
      05-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
cedavis34
Private
Rep
Drives:

I've had my S2000 for 7 years, and I've only driven a Cooper S one time. That one time I was driving a friends Cooper S while she drove my S2000. All I remember was seeing how much fun she was having in it and how I couldn't wait to get back in my car. I was not impressed with the Cooper much at all, but honestly I didn't really get to wring it out.

Also you're going to be in San Diego, you could utilize the convertible practically all the time. I've spent all my time in Indiana and as long as it's not raining the top is down. Even if it is raining, more gas = less wet.

And maybe I'm the only person this matters to, but I love how my car is a 2001 and people still don't know what it is. The conversation usually goes like this:

"What is that thing?"
"It's a S2000."
"Who makes it?"
"Honda"
"Does it have a V6?"
"Actually it's just a 4 cylinder."
"Is it really fast?"
"It's pretty quick, but it's really a blast to drive."
etc. etc. etc.

S2000 makes you :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #14
kobezklutch
wants a new 1er
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
BANG BANG!!
fyi, you were one of the most persuasive with your argument both from this forum and here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=571334

i was like if he was able to live with it in college i should be able to too:headbang:
      05-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #15
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
fyi, you were one of the most persuasive with your argument both from this forum and here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=571334

i was like if he was able to live with it in college i should be able to too:headbang:
Thanks man...if you have any questions just shoot me a PM. Make sure you drive them both though. I guarantee you wont regret it. I would go with the AP2. Its less twitchy. Be prepared for an all out war if you ask which is better over on s2ki. AP1 is 1999-03. AP2 is 04+ and revs to 8200rpm versus 9000rpm for the AP1.
      05-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #16
kobezklutch
wants a new 1er
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Thanks man...if you have any questions just shoot me a PM. Make sure you drive them both though. I guarantee you wont regret it. I would go with the AP2. Its less twitchy. Be prepared for an all out war if you ask which is better over on s2ki. AP1 is 1999-03. AP2 is 04+ and revs to 8200rpm versus 9000rpm for the AP1.
yeah for sure man, and i already kinda opened that can of worms on the other forum lol. i've definitely been checking out s2ki as well, seems like a pretty good forum with a lot of info
      05-07-2008, 04:05 AM   #17
xanthopoulos
Rep
Drives:

I had an S2K for 2 years and I've had a Cooper S Conv. for three.

I understand that a detailed post is of greater value to you but I do not see a reson for me to dwell on this too much

The answer is S2K...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #18
e904me
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthopoulos View Post
I had an S2K for 2 years and I've had a Cooper S Conv. for three.

I understand that a detailed post is of greater value to you but I do not see a reson for me to dwell on this too much

The answer is S2K...
:headbang: Enough said! :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #19
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Never driven an S2000 so I am in no position to comment on that car. All I can say is that I had a 2006 Mazda MX-5 (tastefully modified) before I bought my '07 MCS. I've done the convertible/roadster thing and while there were days where driving the car was pure heaven, there were too many other days where the car was annoying. For 90% of the time, I wanted something else.

Some of the problems that I had with the MX-5 probably wouldn't manifest themselves in an S2K but many of them will, such as practicality, comfort (engine/exhaust noise, wind/road noise), etc. Most importantly though, the S2K may have the edge in pure numbers with regards to acceleration, but the new MCS with the turbocharged engine produces so much torque low down that I am sure it will at least feel as fast as the S2K around town. There is really nothing better than being able to easily pass someone in 6th @ 2,500 rpms.

All this said, there is nothing I can do for you except to recommend that you drive both. The MCS will be cheaper (free maintenance and in terms of MSRP, given you don't go crazy with the options) and much more practical. The S2K is a RWD roadster. Pretty obvious stuff here but you won't learn much unless you drive them both.

As for the objective questions you asked:

MPG: 27 in the city (Phoenix, summer, A/C on full, barely over 45 mph at times); 29 with no A/C.
33 mpg on highway (80 mph avg., A/C on); 36 mpg (80 mph avg., A/C off)
Gearbox: Not as good as the S2K but perfect pedal placement makes for amazingly easy rev-matched downshifts. A shorter throw would be nice and you can get that done on the MINI for 60 bucks.
Space: I fit a sofa in the back of my MINI. Can't do that in a S2K.

Otherwise, I'm glad to answer any questions if you have any.
      05-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
kobezklutch
wants a new 1er
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
Never driven an S2000 so I am in no position to comment on that car. All I can say is that I had a 2006 Mazda MX-5 (tastefully modified) before I bought my '07 MCS. I've done the convertible/roadster thing and while there were days where driving the car was pure heaven, there were too many other days where the car was annoying. For 90% of the time, I wanted something else.

Some of the problems that I had with the MX-5 probably wouldn't manifest themselves in an S2K but many of them will, such as practicality, comfort (engine/exhaust noise, wind/road noise), etc. Most importantly though, the S2K may have the edge in pure numbers with regards to acceleration, but the new MCS with the turbocharged engine produces so much torque low down that I am sure it will at least feel as fast as the S2K around town. There is really nothing better than being able to easily pass someone in 6th @ 2,500 rpms.

All this said, there is nothing I can do for you except to recommend that you drive both. The MCS will be cheaper (free maintenance and in terms of MSRP, given you don't go crazy with the options) and much more practical. The S2K is a RWD roadster. Pretty obvious stuff here but you won't learn much unless you drive them both.

As for the objective questions you asked:

MPG: 27 in the city (Phoenix, summer, A/C on full, barely over 45 mph at times); 29 with no A/C.
33 mpg on highway (80 mph avg., A/C on); 36 mpg (80 mph avg., A/C off)
Gearbox: Not as good as the S2K but perfect pedal placement makes for amazingly easy rev-matched downshifts. A shorter throw would be nice and you can get that done on the MINI for 60 bucks.
Space: I fit a sofa in the back of my MINI. Can't do that in a S2K.

Otherwise, I'm glad to answer any questions if you have any.

at the sofa thing. As for the maintenance, I don't plan on buying a new car so the 3 yr warranty thing is out. For the same reason, i wouldn't be able to get one w/ a turbo either Nonetheless i will test drive both before i make my decision, but THANKS for taking the time out and responding! it really helps with the real life aspects of the car:w00t:

also, does anyone know if you can get an extended warranty on Mini's and for how long/how many miles? (like the cpo one on bimmers)
      05-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #21
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
also, does anyone know if you can get an extended warranty on Mini's and for how long/how many miles? (like the cpo one on bimmers)
Definitely. Don't know the cost exactly (probably about 2 grand) but you can extend the factory warranty up to 100,000 miles.