E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > help me with a suspension clunk

01-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
oct1285
Captain
Rep
Drives: Out of warranty

help me with a suspension clunk

For the past week or so now I've been getting a clunking sound in the front. At first I thought my endlinks were coming loose from the sway bar, but they're all on there, tight as can be. Then I found out my strut tophats weren't properly aligned with the holes in the car after I installed my coilovers, so I fixed that. But to my dismay theres still a clunk. The clunk sounds exactly like loose endlinks but that isn't the problem. So now it's got me wondering if the swaybar needs to be greased? Does anybody have any ideas what it could be. Its definitely suspension related as I only hear the clunk going over uneven road/bumps.I've noticed the clunk started right after an autox. but it became more apparent after I accidently broke off those plastic rear jack supports coming off a drive-on lift, which my car was too low for. I hope it has nothing to do with me using the lift
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
oct1285
Captain
Rep

can anyone help me out here? I took it to a shop and they couldn't see what was causing the rattle/clunk. They said all my suspension pieces look properly bolted down. They have no idea what it is. It only happens going over uneven road or bumps which there is plenty of here in san antonio
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

I have the same problem. I have taken it to two different shops, nothing.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
oct1285
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
I have the same problem. I have taken it to two different shops, nothing.
when did you start to notice it?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
Josephkao
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

My problem start after installed shocks and sway bar, sounds like coming from the front right side. Still can not figure it out
      01-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
oct1285
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephkao View Post
My problem start after installed shocks and sway bar, sounds like coming from the front right side. Still can not figure it out
i'm glad I'm not the only one with the same problems.

So you can't see anything wrong with your car? and you're experiencing the same problems as I've described?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Many people have had this problem. Unfortunately you seem to have covered the most common fixable causes in your OP (tophat and endlink). I started getting it after a 1000 miles or so from the front left but no diagnosis yet.
      01-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
oct1285
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesler View Post
Many people have had this problem. Unfortunately you seem to have covered the most common fixable causes in your OP (tophat and endlink). I started getting it after a 1000 miles or so from the front left but no diagnosis yet.
so how long have you had it now? Are we just screwed and going to have to turn up the radio now?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 02:54 AM   #9
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

I don't know, it occurs only on really bad roads but other than the noise, there is no functional problem. i am in a bit of dilemma too regarding the options: just ignore it vs take it to another mechanic vs have the stealership address it. Maybe oiling/lubricating all the bolts should be tried first.
      01-28-2009, 06:25 AM   #10
oct1285
Captain
Rep

for the other people who replied to this thread, did the noise start after some hard driving? or did it just show up out of no where?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
bknight
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M Competition

I got a similar issue. Weird as nothing at first but then the clunking started after about 500 miles. Have not yet had it looked at but will report back on this thread if I learn anything interesting.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknight View Post
I got a similar issue. Weird as nothing at first but then the clunking started after about 500 miles. Have not yet had it looked at but will report back on this thread if I learn anything interesting.
I only heard this clunk once since my coilovers and it was backing out of a driveway while turning the wheel as it descended from a little decline....I have to put some more miles on this to see if this occurs again..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Took the car out for some extensive testing on bumpy road surfaces and I could not for the life of me reproduce that clunking....Reverse in driveway and turned wheel and still nothing....I guess for me it could have been the lubrication of what seems to be anti-rust (WD40) spray that was provided with the FK coilover kit...I must have over-sprayed a little too much and lubricated parts that didn't need be lubricated like the springs itself! Handling is top notch and I am finally happy with the stance, so for me it will be alignment when weather gets warmer...Did you guys every figure out what the problem was??
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
oct1285
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Took the car out for some extensive testing on bumpy road surfaces and I could not for the life of me reproduce that clunking....Reverse in driveway and turned wheel and still nothing....I guess for me it could have been the lubrication of what seems to be anti-rust (WD40) spray that was provided with the FK coilover kit...I must have over-sprayed a little too much and lubricated parts that didn't need be lubricated like the springs itself! Handling is top notch and I am finally happy with the stance, so for me it will be alignment when weather gets warmer...Did you guys every figure out what the problem was??
what did you lubricate with the spray? I never bother to use it. I'm going to have a shop reinstall my sway bar enlinks and my strut top hats. Hopefully that takes care of the problem
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #15
GAMEOVR
SPRCHRGD E93 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mthreezzzy

Youtube the sound :-) I get some sort of squeaking too.. but I'm missing like 1-2 bump backs..
      02-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #16
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct1285 View Post
what did you lubricate with the spray? I never bother to use it. I'm going to have a shop reinstall my sway bar enlinks and my strut top hats. Hopefully that takes care of the problem
You are suppose to lubricate the threads, which I think I went over board and sprayed too much and also sprayed the springs by accident which I think made them loose and move around during reverse coming out of driveway and turning wheel...I heard this only twice and it was from initially installing the coilovers...Its been three weeks and I really haven't driven the car because of snow, and when I did take it out the lubrication must have settled and dried a bit...I don't hear that clunking sound anymore
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #17
Docray1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW Z4

I've had the same kind of noise you describe with my E93; nobody can figure it out. I had an older car that developed similar "rattling" from a loose brake pad clip; I ended up gluing the pads to the caliper plates to stop it. I wonder if the same thing is happening here?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
dang... does everyone here have FK's??

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Have KWv3s, and I have the same clunk when reversing. Additionally, it feels as if the front driver side suspension is loose when going over uneven roads (only when cold). Lastly there is a loud squeak when going over dips in the road from the drivers side as well. Not sure if it's the front or rear, hard to determine.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #20
DC_driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 330i

To those who have a "clunk" noise.
Does it happen when you turn your wheel?
If so, check the large washer that seats the ball bearings at the top of the assembly. I had the same problem because I installed the washer up-side-down and the assembly couldn't rotate freely.

One way to check. Put the front end up an jack stands. Remove the wheels and have a friend turn them from inside the car. See if the coilovers rotates freely.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #21
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Usually a chunky metallic clunk is fro the top hat not fully secured. I don't mean from the body to the top hat, but the top nut not fully screwed down tight and the top hat is not sitting flush with the strut shaft. Usually you'll need impact tools to really cinch that top nut down, and often while the springs are compressed. You can probably get away with having the car on the ground, and taking off that strut brace type thing and hit the top nut through the hole in the strut tower with an impact gun.
      02-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #22
oct1285
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Usually a chunky metallic clunk is fro the top hat not fully secured. I don't mean from the body to the top hat, but the top nut not fully screwed down tight and the top hat is not sitting flush with the strut shaft. Usually you'll need impact tools to really cinch that top nut down, and often while the springs are compressed. You can probably get away with having the car on the ground, and taking off that strut brace type thing and hit the top nut through the hole in the strut tower with an impact gun.
that's what I think my problem is, but i took an impact gun to it and all it does is spin the shaft. What's the best way to stop the shaft form spinning?
Appreciate 0