E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > dad wants a new car for work.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #23
im spencer
has hope for the N52
im spencer's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
804
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e90 328i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to im spencer
euro style van ftw!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #24
ptack
Brigadier General
ptack's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
4,267
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.00]
Tell him to get better organized, minimize the junk and get a 135i. The back seats fold down and he'll get to wherever he's going much faster.
__________________
135i, SGM, Coral, Sport Package, Auto, Premium Hifi, USB/ipod, Apex EC-7s, PPK Stage II
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #25
Draman
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
214
Posts

 
Drives: e93 335i, S5
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post


tell your dad to watch this
I'm not much of a truck guy so I have no idea who makes the best truck but I'll be damned if I'll let a Ford commercial convince me that a Ford is better than it's rivals. If I see an unbiased source provide this sort of testing material then I might be swayed, but a Ford produced segment full of Ford engineers and Ford spokesmen? No thanks
__________________
E93 Sapphire Black / Coral Red
Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|Nav|PDC|Active Steering|Sirius|Comfort Access

Audi S5 Ibis White / Tuscan Brown
Carbon Atlas|Audi Drive Select|Nav|B&O|Tech Package
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #26
Bimmer007
Lieutenant
Bimmer007's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
536
Posts

 
Drives: Cars
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

this may sound funny but how about


Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #27
BillLee
Major General
BillLee's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
5,243
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: HTX

iTrader: (21)

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [0.00]
08 E90 335i  [4.65]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Tell him to get better organized, minimize the junk and get a 135i. The back seats fold down and he'll get to wherever he's going much faster.
lol i dont think you can fit +20 boxes of drinks and 50lbs of flour in that car
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #28
amgthis
Tire Racks
amgthis's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,228
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M Coupè
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Used X5 4.8is. Still a great car, great exhaust note too.
__________________
Alpine White 1M Coupè
Gone:2006 Alpine White E46 M3 ZCP RIP
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #29
SiNiStErE92
First Lieutenant
SiNiStErE92's Avatar
21
Rep
312
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fl

iTrader: (0)

2009 ram 1500 You can walk into a dealer and get a killer deal on 1 right now. Plus with the right options it sby far the best looking truck out right now. I was always a ford trucks guy but i saw a brand new 09 ram the other day and it looked plain bad ass.
Check this truck out . Loaded for $31k and i bet you could easily get it for under that.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...3A1|240%3A1318
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #30
dillon733
Major
dillon733's Avatar
16
Rep
1,126
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: new york

iTrader: (2)

1st choice SRT8 jeep
2nd choice X5
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #31
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
109
Rep
517
Posts

 
Drives: Slow/Fat
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

What's with all this X5 BMW fanboi crap for a suggestion. The thing is god aweful offroad and it doesn't compare to the competition in terms of what it hauls or can hold inside.

I vote: Brand new Toyota Sequioa

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #32
Bimmer007
Lieutenant
Bimmer007's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
536
Posts

 
Drives: Cars
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
holy crap, I had no idea the toyota's were that flimsy with the frame/bed
thats a good video
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #33
methodtim
Brigadier General
methodtim's Avatar
Liechtenstein
41
Rep
3,636
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Darkness there, and nothing more

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Honda Ridgeline.
__________________

09 E90 335i |Monaco Blue |Step|ZPP|ZSP|ZCW | L7 | iPod | CA
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #34
quagmire
I am Gundam
quagmire's Avatar
31
Rep
1,161
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Honda Ridgeline.
You're suggesting an Odyssey with a truck bed?

And a fact check here. The Tundra's 5.7 V8 has 381 HP and 401 lb of torque. The Dodge's 5.7 V8 has 390 HP and 410 lb of torque. The Silverado's 6.2 V8 makes 403 HP and 417 lb of torque. The F-150's 5.4 V8 has 310 lb and 365 lb of torque.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #35
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
109
Rep
517
Posts

 
Drives: Slow/Fat
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
You're suggesting an Odyssey with a truck bed?

And a fact check here. The Tundra's 5.7 V8 has 381 HP and 401 lb of torque. The Dodge's 5.7 V8 has 390 HP and 410 lb of torque. The Silverado's 6.2 V8 makes 403 HP and 417 lb of torque. The F-150's 5.4 V8 has 310 lb and 365 lb of torque.
The Silverado's 6.2L I believe is only available in HD.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #36
methodtim
Brigadier General
methodtim's Avatar
Liechtenstein
41
Rep
3,636
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Darkness there, and nothing more

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
You're suggesting an Odyssey with a truck bed?
Sure, why not? I may be biased (I own one), but I love my truck. It does everything I need a truck to do (hauls all the household stuff I would ever need plus plenty of room for wife and kid), everything I want a truck to do (4WD for snowboarding, high-ish clearance for summer camping trips on unpaved areas), and it has the one killer feature that no other truck in its class has - a lockable trunk in the bed. The trunk allows me to carry all the stuff I need to keep clean and dry (i.e., a stroller, sleeping bags, etc.), while not impinging on the room in the bed.

OP's requirements were:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee View Post
Right now he drives a Lexus LX470 (+100,000 miles on it) and he wants to trade it for a new truck or SUV for under $50,000. he carries a lot crap in the back too so there needs to be space. and its going to be driven everyday so i told him to get a toyota thundra but he doesn't like those.
I was half-joking when I suggested a Ridgeline. I believe that no one in their right mind would really go from a Lexus to a Ridgeline, it just lacks a lot of the luxury and refinement of the Lexus. But then again, OP suggested a Tundra, and I think that the Ridgeline is a much better choice than the Tundra, especially if the requirement is just that his dad "carries a lot of crap".
__________________

09 E90 335i |Monaco Blue |Step|ZPP|ZSP|ZCW | L7 | iPod | CA
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #37
quagmire
I am Gundam
quagmire's Avatar
31
Rep
1,161
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
The Silverado's 6.2L I believe is only available in HD.
It's available in the 1500. Though only in the crew cab.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #38
BillLee
Major General
BillLee's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
5,243
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: HTX

iTrader: (21)

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [0.00]
08 E90 335i  [4.65]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post


tell your dad to watch this
i showed it to him. thanks!
we're leaning towards the f-150 now
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #39
methodtim
Brigadier General
methodtim's Avatar
Liechtenstein
41
Rep
3,636
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Darkness there, and nothing more

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I don't know about the latest generation, but I drove the last F-150 for a week. That thing drove like shit and the build quality was absolute trash. For instance, every time I went over a speed bump, my radio would turn off (if on) or on (if off). Rattles, squeeks, body roll worse than a fat chick on a surfboard. Man, oh man, I swear, I do not know what it says about the American consumer that this is the best selling vehicle year after year, but it's nothing good.
__________________

09 E90 335i |Monaco Blue |Step|ZPP|ZSP|ZCW | L7 | iPod | CA
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #40
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
109
Rep
517
Posts

 
Drives: Slow/Fat
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
I don't know about the latest generation, but I drove the last F-150 for a week. That thing drove like shit and the build quality was absolute trash. For instance, every time I went over a speed bump, my radio would turn off (if on) or on (if off). Rattles, squeeks, body roll worse than a fat chick on a surfboard. Man, oh man, I swear, I do not know what it says about the American consumer that this is the best selling vehicle year after year, but it's nothing good.
You must not be a blue collar worker, or know much about trucks. It isn't about rattles and fit and finish. It's a TRUCK not a fucking X5. It's meant to get heavy shit, dirty shit, wet shit thrown in the back of it, in the cab, get scratched, get dents, run shit over, go through nasty shit, PLOW shit and wear out the front end.

Trucks are purpose built, and that purpose isn't rolling on 22's with summer tires chief.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #41
methodtim
Brigadier General
methodtim's Avatar
Liechtenstein
41
Rep
3,636
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Darkness there, and nothing more

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
You must not be a blue collar worker, or know much about trucks. It isn't about rattles and fit and finish. It's a TRUCK not a fucking X5. It's meant to get heavy shit, dirty shit, wet shit thrown in the back of it, in the cab, get scratched, get dents, run shit over, go through nasty shit, PLOW shit and wear out the front end.

Trucks are purpose built, and that purpose isn't rolling on 22's with summer tires chief.
I am not a blue collar worker, but I completely disagree with your comment regarding rattles and whatnot. Trucks are used for much more than just "blue collar work" or "plowing through shit." If you owned a Ford F-350 Super Duty or something like that, I completely agree that that is purpose built and, as long as it performs its purpose, nothing else should matter. However, if that was the case, then the F-150 would not be the best selling vehicle in America for (I can't remember how many) years running, now would it?

Trucks are marketed towards all sorts of uses other than just your blue collar work, purpose-built workforce. People use trucks as recreational vehicles, as daily drivers, and, yes, disgusting as it may be, bling mobiles. Since you've stated that quality (in the form of rattles, fit and finish) don't matter to the Joe the Plumbers of this world, I'm here to say that it matters to the rest of us - those that buy trucks because we need one almost as much as our blue collar brothers and sisters. At the end of the day, it's about being able to live with your car or truck. My point is, after a week of daily driving the previous generation of F-150, I couldn't live with it.

Oh, and you can take your attitude and shove it up your ass, chief.
__________________

09 E90 335i |Monaco Blue |Step|ZPP|ZSP|ZCW | L7 | iPod | CA
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #42
DakarE36
Private First Class
6
Rep
163
Posts

 
Drives: Dakar yellow '95 e36 m3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
I am not a blue collar worker, but I completely disagree with your comment regarding rattles and whatnot. Trucks are used for much more than just "blue collar work" or "plowing through shit." If you owned a Ford F-350 Super Duty or something like that, I completely agree that that is purpose built and, as long as it performs its purpose, nothing else should matter. However, if that was the case, then the F-150 would not be the best selling vehicle in America for (I can't remember how many) years running, now would it?

Trucks are marketed towards all sorts of uses other than just your blue collar work, purpose-built workforce. People use trucks as recreational vehicles, as daily drivers, and, yes, disgusting as it may be, bling mobiles. Since you've stated that quality (in the form of rattles, fit and finish) don't matter to the Joe the Plumbers of this world, I'm here to say that it matters to the rest of us - those that buy trucks because we need one almost as much as our blue collar brothers and sisters. At the end of the day, it's about being able to live with your car or truck. My point is, after a week of daily driving the previous generation of F-150, I couldn't live with it.

Oh, and you can take your attitude and shove it up your ass, chief.
I thouroughly enjoyed reading that response...

ME LIKEY, i agree more then i can possibly say +1000, i was thinking your words verbatim
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #43
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
109
Rep
517
Posts

 
Drives: Slow/Fat
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
I am not a blue collar worker, but I completely disagree with your comment regarding rattles and whatnot. Trucks are used for much more than just "blue collar work" or "plowing through shit." If you owned a Ford F-350 Super Duty or something like that, I completely agree that that is purpose built and, as long as it performs its purpose, nothing else should matter. However, if that was the case, then the F-150 would not be the best selling vehicle in America for (I can't remember how many) years running, now would it?

Trucks are marketed towards all sorts of uses other than just your blue collar work, purpose-built workforce. People use trucks as recreational vehicles, as daily drivers, and, yes, disgusting as it may be, bling mobiles. Since you've stated that quality (in the form of rattles, fit and finish) don't matter to the Joe the Plumbers of this world, I'm here to say that it matters to the rest of us - those that buy trucks because we need one almost as much as our blue collar brothers and sisters. At the end of the day, it's about being able to live with your car or truck. My point is, after a week of daily driving the previous generation of F-150, I couldn't live with it.

Oh, and you can take your attitude and shove it up your ass, chief.
You are proving yourself to be even more truck ignorant. Especially considering some people need there truck for work or to handle even house hold things, projects, gardening and so forth... they don't NEED a 1 ton, they don't need a 2 ton truck, they don't even need a HALF ton some times. F-150, 250, 350. There are engine options only available in the bigger models, pay-load, towing capacity and so forth. It doesn't make the F-150 any less of a work/ project truck or the 350 MORE of one, people just use them to entertain different kinds of utility needs.

I think the trade-off of rattles and plastic are severely out weighed by durability and what they get done. PS. It's not supposed to ride fluffy, it's a TRUCK. Not a luxury vehicle with a BED.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #44
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
109
Rep
517
Posts

 
Drives: Slow/Fat
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarE36 View Post
I thouroughly enjoyed reading that response...

ME LIKEY, i agree more then i can possibly say +1000, i was thinking your words verbatim
And I bet you've never owned a truck.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST