E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bavarian Technic Diagnostic Tool



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #45
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
 
mwahlert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Durham, NC

Posts: 1,545
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
HI Mark,

We do sell a professional version interface cable by itself for $649 but it is not much less expensive then our professional kit. This is because the additional accessories only add about $100 to the cost. Our primary customers are professional shops the additional features supported in the Professional version are consider advanced features that may get enthusiast users into trouble. The professional version adds two things Coding and Command console. Coding is the ability to change the codable parameters inside the control module and allows you to enable options and configurations. On most cars with I-Drive they can perform coding from I-drive for most modules. It also allows you to make a backup of the coding from the control module and restore the coding to a new control module this is useful for shops that need to replace a control module. Currently the coding capability of the software is still limited but we will be adding many more codable values as we get feedback from our users as to what is important to them. We do offer some coding where the factory equipment does not for example on MSV80 we can code the vehicles top speed. Coding should not be confused with programming the software will not allow you to read out the entire memory of the control module and re-write it. Command console is a direct communications with the control module this has proved useful for customers that damaged their control modules through other tools but most users would not know what to do with it. Command console should not be confused with Commands. Commands is the ability to send diagnostic messages to the module like Reset Adaptations or Reinitialize the rain sensor. Commands are supported in the enthusiast version.

While you can use our product without an internet connection the software is designed to be used with an internet connection. If you have an internet connection the software will start by reading the VIN from the car then querying our web-service to decode the vehicle information. We are also publishing a lot of BMW specific repair information onto our wiki site that includes procedures for common problems and solutions. Over time we will be linking faults in the software to repair information on our wiki.

Our product is still very new, we have been quietly developing it for over two years and it has been in beta by 40 professional BMW technicians for the last 6 months. We still have many plans for development are continuing to add new features on a weekly basis. We have plans to introduce programming but have not yet figured out how we can introduce this and not open ourselves to a lot of liability for users that do not know what they are doing and damage their car. We are currently considering offering programming through professional tuners so the software would allow users to read and write binaries that have been prepared and signed by professional tuners and the tuners would than take the responsibility for the tune.
On MSD80/MSD81 used with the N54 we support over 600 actual values while the factory tool used at the dealer only support about 45. Our sampling rate will depend on the year of your E90, up to 2008 the baud rate is 115200, and as of 2009 the baud rate is 500,000. The sampling rate can be adjusted in the software to sample faster or slower, but in general you can expect at least 10-20 samples per second, if you set the sampling to the fastest rate you will need a fast computer but you can sample up to 30 or 40 samples a second. But this will really depend on the values that you are selecting, as selecting many dissimilar values will slow down the sampling rate. BMW does not use a channels concept on this control module. Our tool can sample values approximatly 5 times faster than the GT1. We also provide some advanced graphing features along with the ability to export the data to Excel.

For more information about our coverage for MSD80 please see our wiki page. http://wiki.bavariantechnic.com/inde...mens_MSD80_DME

As for the list of all possible actual values, we had them on our wiki for some control modules but pulled them down because they used so much space and the list was many pages long. In general we have every possible value that the control module supports. Usually in a calculated value as well as a raw AD value. There are also some duplicates as the same values can be read from multiple places in the control modules memory. You can still look at our old page that has all the actual values listed with this link http://wiki.bavariantechnic.com/inde...80_DME&oldid=9

Our product should not be confused with and OBD2 tool as it does not even do the OBD2 protocol. Our software can access modern BMW's exactly as the factory tool can and provides the same fault and diagnostic information available int he factory system. Though in many cases we provide more information than the factory system does.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Duram
Bavarian Technic
mwahlert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #46
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,542
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Wish I could correlate your "lawdude special" with something relevant to my post, but then I'm from south georgia where we don't have the remarkable wit south floridians think they have.

Tip: Don't try too hard with your metaphors. Looks like you're trying to create a point where none exists.

I don't know what's worse:

1. Being told I am unfunny;

or

2. Being accused of being South Floridian.

__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #47
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,542
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahlert View Post
We have plans to introduce programming but have not yet figured out how we can introduce this and not open ourselves to a lot of liability for users that do not know what they are doing and damage their car. We are currently considering offering programming through professional tuners so the software would allow users to read and write binaries that have been prepared and signed by professional tuners and the tuners would than take the responsibility for the tune.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Duram
Bavarian Technic
Great info! Thanks!
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #48
Ilma
Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hometown

Posts: 2,483
iTrader: (0)

Breaking news flash.....this just in:

http://wiki.bavariantechnic.com/inde...g_box_detected


2D25 Mass Air Flow Excessive - External tuning box detected

2D25 is stored in the MSD81 control module when an external tuning box is detected. These systems work by manipulating the control signals to and from the engine control module. When this fault is detected by BMW dealers diagnostic tools this information is sent to BMW. Some customers have received letters from BMW stating that their warranty has been voided from the use of an external tuning device.

This fault code can be cleared just link any other fault code.
Ilma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #49
lawdude
Colonel
 
lawdude's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,259
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I don't know what's worse:

1. Being told I am unfunny;

or

2. Being accused of being South Floridian.

1. You're funny, just not in a good way.

and

2. Did you move?
__________________
What do I know? I'm insane.
lawdude is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #50
Humtek
Vishnu Powered
 
Humtek's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Proceding

Posts: 2,205
iTrader: (7)

Subscribed. This looks promising.

Looking forward to your feedback Scalbert.
__________________
2008 335xi Sedan | Titanium Silver | Black Dakota
PROcede v5 | Vishnu Exhaust | BMS DCI | AR Catless DPs | Helix FMIC | Stett Charge w/ Tial BOV | MORR VS8s | KWv3
Humtek is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #51
Ilma
Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hometown

Posts: 2,483
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
Wish I could correlate your "lawdude special" with something relevant to my post, but then I'm from south georgia where we don't have the remarkable wit south floridians think they have.

Tip: Don't try too hard with your metaphors. Looks like you're trying to create a point where none exists.

Perhaps this is this what you were trying to convey?

Ilma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #52
flem
.....
 
flem's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 335xi
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Morgantown, WV

Posts: 320
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I am extremely interested to see where this is heading...

Subbing to this thread
flem is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #53
ar design
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
ar design's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 325ES+S50, '01 TT QC
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 4,406
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ar design Send a message via MSN to ar design Send a message via Yahoo to ar design
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Breaking news flash.....this just in:

http://wiki.bavariantechnic.com/inde...g_box_detected


2D25 Mass Air Flow Excessive - External tuning box detected

2D25 is stored in the MSD81 control module when an external tuning box is detected. These systems work by manipulating the control signals to and from the engine control module. When this fault is detected by BMW dealers diagnostic tools this information is sent to BMW. Some customers have received letters from BMW stating that their warranty has been voided from the use of an external tuning device.

This fault code can be cleared just link any other fault code.
N54 doesn't have a mass air flow sensor?
ar design is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #54
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
 
slubu's Avatar
 
Drives: White Lightning
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Agrestic

Posts: 1,851
iTrader: (2)

Where does it say no MSD81 support?
__________________
2008 335i
slubu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #55
Humtek
Vishnu Powered
 
Humtek's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Proceding

Posts: 2,205
iTrader: (7)

If you started out with the enthusiast package and wanted to upgrade to the pro later, would you have to buy the new cable package or is it just pay the fee and download new software? I guess if you wanted the 50' extension and round cable you could buy them, but to upgrade is it just a software fee to unlock the command console and coding?
__________________
2008 335xi Sedan | Titanium Silver | Black Dakota
PROcede v5 | Vishnu Exhaust | BMS DCI | AR Catless DPs | Helix FMIC | Stett Charge w/ Tial BOV | MORR VS8s | KWv3
Humtek is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #56
goowatchi
Chairman of the Board.
 
goowatchi's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335I
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: CA

Posts: 450
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to goowatchi
I've been doing research on shops with GT1 and/or Autologic, but if this proves to be functionally and diagnostically the same as the GT1 or Autologic, then I definitely plan on owning one. Hopefully, Scalbert's research will give us more info!
goowatchi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #57
Ilma
Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hometown

Posts: 2,483
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar design View Post
N54 doesn't have a mass air flow sensor?
That description is probably just the text they have assigned to pop up when that particular code is thrown.

Don't forget that they make this product for multiple BMW platforms, many of which have a MAF sensor.

Could just be an oversight on their part....but I do agree with you on the N54 having a MAP sensor.
Ilma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #58
A418t81
Major
 
Drives: E92 335 M Sport 6MT
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham Al

Posts: 1,243
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
That description is probably just the text they have assigned to pop up when that particular code is thrown.

Don't forget that they make this product for multiple BMW platforms, many of which have a MAF sensor.

Could just be an oversight on their part....but I do agree with you on the N54 having a MAP sensor.
Mass airflow excessive has nothing to do with a MAF sensor, though the names are similar. The N54 DME has a full gas law model of the engine at all times. It knows the air mass the engine is flowing at any given time based on a number of different inputs. Even if the MAP sensor is attenuated, it takes more fuel to make more power. Until the piggies started increasing the fuel pressure, which the DME is not aware of, since they mimic stock pressure values back to the computer, the only other way was to use 02 sensor offsets, which the computer is well aware of the fact that its adding in additional fuel. The computer sees the mass of the fuel its injecting, and based on other calculations, can "see" the mass of the air in the cylinder is exceeding what it should be (which obviously is the case if you are running 14 psi vs. 8, that's at least an additional 30-40% increase in air mass over stock . And thus the code..
__________________
07 997 TT 6MT, Arctic Silver/Sea Blue: AWE exhaust, GIAC flash, H&R, 19" BBS CH-R in widebody fitment
09 E92 335 M tech 6MT, Titanium Gunmetal Alufelgen SF 71s, Helix FMIC, JB4
AW/SO F80 M3 6MT: Euro delivery 6/24
A418t81 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #59
Ilma
Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hometown

Posts: 2,483
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Mass airflow excessive has nothing to do with a MAF sensor, though the names are similar. The N54 DME has a full gas law model of the engine at all times. It knows the air mass the engine is flowing at any given time based on a number of different inputs. Even if the MAP sensor is attenuated, it takes more fuel to make more power. Until the piggies started increasing the fuel pressure, which the DME is not aware of, since they mimic stock pressure values back to the computer, the only other way was to use 02 sensor offsets, which the computer is well aware of the fact that its adding in additional fuel. The computer sees the mass of the fuel its injecting, and based on other calculations, can "see" the mass of the air in the cylinder is exceeding what it should be (which obviously is the case if you are running 14 psi vs. 8, that's at least an additional 30-40% increase in air mass over stock . And thus the code..
Thanks for that clarification.....the code makes perfect sense then.

There are obviously a a lot of background calculations going on that can infer the amount of air volume being consumed in spite of a lack of MAF sensor.
Ilma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #60
Septro
Banned
 
Drives: '08 e90 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: C-Bus, OH

Posts: 1,649
iTrader: (1)

I think whoever brings this to the nest regional meet will probably be more popular than the M3s and Porsches that show up everyone wants to see.

I'ma start putting this on my list of mods if this thing pans out to be the code-clearing tool of year.
Septro is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #61
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
 
mwahlert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Durham, NC

Posts: 1,545
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
well add me to the list - i just ordered the professional cable.
mwahlert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #62
scalbert
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,697
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
2. Being accused of being South Floridian.

Hrmm, if living in South Florida and not native:

A) You came across on a raft from Cuba

B) You are from the Northeast.

scalbert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #63
scalbert
Major General
 
scalbert's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodstock, GA

Posts: 5,697
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahlert View Post
Command console should not be confused with Commands. Commands is the ability to send diagnostic messages to the module like Reset Adaptations or Reinitialize the rain sensor. Commands are supported in the enthusiast version.
Glad to see the above mentioned, it makes me feel better as I would sometimes like to reset adapatation channels.

Thanks for sending the email, it was very useful.

And got confirmation a short time ago that mine shipped. This does look like the tool we have been waiting on.
scalbert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #64
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
 
mwahlert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Durham, NC

Posts: 1,545
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Glad to see the above mentioned, it makes me feel better as I would sometimes like to reset adapatation channels.

Thanks for sending the email, it was very useful.

And got confirmation a short time ago that mine shipped. This does look like the tool we have been waiting on.
mine should ship tomorrow - hope to have it by the weekend.

which did you order?
mwahlert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #65
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,542
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Hrmm, if living in South Florida and not native:

A) You came across on a raft from Cuba

B) You are from the Northeast.

I don't speak a word of Spanish and I don't like the Yankees/Red Soxs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iAW View Post
Fixed...
+1 They don't call it God's waiting room for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Glad to see the above mentioned, it makes me feel better as I would sometimes like to reset adapatation channels.

Thanks for sending the email, it was very useful.

And got confirmation a short time ago that mine shipped. This does look like the tool we have been waiting on.
Shipped, Woot. Keep us in the loop.
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #66
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,542
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
1. You're funny, just not in a good way.

and

2. Did you move?

Always moving to the highest bidder.
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST