E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 suspension parts on 335i install/review (multipart)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #45
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
I'm sorry guys but this is just not making sense.

If the camber is not adjustable, then why would this change?
ghost e90, why would your left camber change to the same value as the right and vice versa when the camber is not adjustable? (unless the allignment pin is gone?) See attach 1.

Kamando, it looks like your right value moved to your left, and your left moved to the right value (like ghost e90's car), except the -54' went to -24'.
There is no way that you decreased the amount of negative camber buy installing the M3 wishbone links.

Something’s not right about this and I would contact them to get some answers. Sorry if I sound so adamant about this, but if it were me, I would want to fully understand the reasons for this.
Attached Images
  
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #46
Kamando
Captain
Kamando's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
617
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Riverside County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Yeah this doesn't make sense to me either. The camber pin is currently installed which leads me to believe they did not adjust it. Anyone have any suggestions on what's going on here? I will call tomorrow and start asking questions.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #47
Kamando
Captain
Kamando's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
617
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Riverside County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I'm sorry guys but this is just not making sense.

If the camber is not adjustable, then why would this change?
ghost e90, why would your left camber change to the same value as the right and vice versa when the camber is not adjustable? (unless the allignment pin is gone?) See attach 1.

Kamando, it looks like your right value moved to your left, and your left moved to the right value (like ghost e90's car), except the -54' went to -24'.
There is no way that you decreased the amount of negative camber buy installing the M3 wishbone links.

Something’s not right about this and I would contact them to get some answers. Sorry if I sound so adamant about this, but if it were me, I would want to fully understand the reasons for this.
Contacted Tauber Motorsport who called the alignment company. The alignment shop re-did the front and I am now running -54minutes (-.9degrees) and -48minutes (-.8degrees) respectively. All is well now
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #48
stressdoc
Moderator
stressdoc's Avatar
Dominica
136
Rep
10,165
Posts

 
Drives: F80 YMB
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

Really looking forward to your 'ring comments. High speed autobahn also useful.

I would have a difficult time choosing among BMW Perf, Bilstein PSS10, or KW v2/3s. The price increase for the BMW Perf kit might sway me to the Bilsteins now. Might want to consider a set of upper mount/camber adjusters at the same time. I think you will notice a big difference with the new shocks/springs. It will be most interesting to see what you find in regard to the effects of these mods independently.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #49
Kamando
Captain
Kamando's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
617
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Riverside County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Really looking forward to your 'ring comments. High speed autobahn also useful.

I would have a difficult time choosing among BMW Perf, Bilstein PSS10, or KW v2/3s. The price increase for the BMW Perf kit might sway me to the Bilsteins now. Might want to consider a set of upper mount/camber adjusters at the same time. I think you will notice a big difference with the new shocks/springs. It will be most interesting to see what you find in regard to the effects of these mods independently.
So far the M3 pieces definitely tighten up the slop. Just this morning a rather large piece of road kill passed underneath a truck directly in front of me. The animal was too large to simply put it in between the tires and keep going and I was too close to just slam on the brakes. My only option was an immediate lane change to the left and instantly back to the right due to oncoming traffic. The added lateral stiffness definitely shined in this moment.

The stock dampers are obviously more noticeable as the weak point of the system now when driving at the limit; though for normal driving they get the job done well enough that I don't feel the need to change them right this second.

So far no issues with Autobahn driving, car feels well planted. (On my winter run-flats when the camber wasn't at its optimal setting I did notice a slight bit of road noise. With the summer run-flats and the greater negative camber, the additional road noise has disappeared.) Traffic has been a pain today so didn't get a chance to reach the limiter, (I was able to get to about 120 mph.) maybe in the next couple days.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #50
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
269
Rep
8,626
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamando View Post
Contacted Tauber Motorsport who called the alignment company. The alignment shop re-did the front and I am now running -54minutes (-.9degrees) and -48minutes (-.8degrees) respectively. All is well now
Great news! That sounds more like it.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #51
stressdoc
Moderator
stressdoc's Avatar
Dominica
136
Rep
10,165
Posts

 
Drives: F80 YMB
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

Any coincidence that we are all getting -.9 and -.8 ?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #52
LaYzEe
Major
LaYzEe's Avatar
18
Rep
1,040
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area, Ca

iTrader: (4)

i remember reading it somewhere but can't seem to find it...but what are the alignment specs for both the 335i/238i and M3's again?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 02:58 AM   #53
Kamando
Captain
Kamando's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
617
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Riverside County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaYzEe View Post
i remember reading it somewhere but can't seem to find it...but what are the alignment specs for both the 335i/238i and M3's again?
The alignment that gave me -.9 & -.8 deg camber was done using M3 specs.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #54
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,440
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamando View Post
The alignment that gave me -.9 & -.8 deg camber was done using M3 specs.
If you don't have adjustable camber plates, there is not a whole lot of camber adjustment anyway. You only need to reset the front toe, rear toe and camber.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #55
marconi118
Captain
10
Rep
968
Posts

 
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: europe

iTrader: (0)

Ïs it possible to use the M3 OEM camber plates on the 335i shocks and springs?

Complete M3 plates + bearing 70euro
Complete 335i plates + bearing 90euro

Is the M3 plate lower profile than the one for 335 ?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #56
tomppa
Private
Belgium
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 318 D
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belgium, Bxl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhOsT_E90 View Post
My car was aligned at the same shop, so this is for comparison. One thing i noticed was the specs for min and max which was for a 2005 E90 instead of a 2008 E90 were Kamando sheet is for a 2007 which i think mine should be also, but both cars are within min and max settings.
They used sport suspension default values for you, and standard suspension for Kamando, that's why they are different.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #57
tomppa
Private
Belgium
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 318 D
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belgium, Bxl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamando View Post
Yeah this doesn't make sense to me either. The camber pin is currently installed which leads me to believe they did not adjust it. Anyone have any suggestions on what's going on here? I will call tomorrow and start asking questions.

Thanks
I don't understand, how can you get so low -camber with M3 parts as you had after first alignment?
How did they adjust it the second time, if it is not adjustable? With the pin?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #58
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,440
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomppa View Post
I don't understand, how can you get so low -camber with M3 parts as you had after first alignment?
How did they adjust it the second time, if it is not adjustable? With the pin?
You should gain negative camber with the M3 front wishbone links. There is no camber adjustment unless the alignment pin is removed or camber plates installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #59
Kamando
Captain
Kamando's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
617
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Riverside County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Second time they drilled out the camber pin and aligned using M3 specs to give me the -.9 and -.8 degrees. First time was really messed up but luckily they redid the alignment free of charge.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #60
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
Kevin@AKMotorwerk's Avatar
United_States
281
Rep
28,154
Posts

 
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hillsborough, nj

iTrader: (1)

so u had adjustable caster plates? i dont see how ur gonna really adjust with just drilling out the alignment pin with stock plates, the 3 holes for the strut still line up without much play at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #61
Kamando
Captain
Kamando's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
617
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Riverside County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Nope no camber plates. They were able to adjust the camber without the pin. I did not gain -.9 and -.8 but went from -.4 and -.6 (according to the finished numbers on the first alignment) so a again of -.5 and -.3 respectively. (The beginning numbers of the first alignment, done after the wishbone install, show a -.5 and a -.9 which would make sense with the increase the wishbones give you. Then somehow they took negative camber away from me when they finished the first alignment.)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 03:22 AM   #62
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
92
Rep
7,331
Posts

 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Hello, i have just done the same setup , please see below my alignment paper. Would be great if anyone could comment on it. By the way the car is just wonderful now!

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/attach...2&d=1244705362
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #63
stressdoc
Moderator
stressdoc's Avatar
Dominica
136
Rep
10,165
Posts

 
Drives: F80 YMB
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Hello, i have just done the same setup , please see below my alignment paper. Would be great if anyone could comment on it. By the way the car is just wonderful now!

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/attach...2&d=1244705362
Looks like you got a bit more neg camber (-1.1 & -1.3) than M3 specs (-.8 & -.9).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #64
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
92
Rep
7,331
Posts

 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Is that bad or?
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #65
neo871
Major
neo871's Avatar
Romania
27
Rep
1,269
Posts

 
Drives: an F80 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bucharest, Romania

iTrader: (0)

something is really unclear for me: after you install this M3 parts is the alignment done on the 335 settings or the m3 settings?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #66
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
36
Rep
3,398
Posts

 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
so u had adjustable caster plates? i dont see how ur gonna really adjust with just drilling out the alignment pin with stock plates, the 3 holes for the strut still line up without much play at all.
The mounting holes are slotted a bit, so there is play if you drill out the pins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Is that bad or?
in regards to running a bit more negative camber, its not bad at all. Frankly, anything below -1.5 isn't much at all for a street car. especially if you drive you car hard in the corners every now and then. Even at -2.0, you won't get any kind of significant wear if your toe is set properly, and you don't drive like a grandma.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST