E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > To 330i / 328i owners...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
skimmilk20
Second Lieutenant
11
Rep
213
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i 6 spd MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

To 330i / 328i owners...

I know I've been flooding this forum with questions.. really appreciate the patience. Just want to make sure the money I spent an entire year saving will go to good use...

Imagine you did not have a maintenance warranty...lets say you have a 2006 330i that no longer has either maintenance or bumper to bumper warranty anymore...

how much would you say 1 yr of driving or ~13k miles cost in terms of maintenance and upkeep for a car on average?

please factors oil changes, break fluid changes.. etc.. what other regular maintenance is there, and how much would a tune up cost?

The more accurate the better

THANK YOU!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
corpun
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: tl
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berkeley

iTrader: (0)

This will probably give you a general idea

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/cto/intro.do

This has the actual maint schedule and estimated costs, doesnt cover repairs though

http://www.bimmerzone.com/inspection.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:10 AM   #3
Staszek
Schumacher
Staszek's Avatar
21
Rep
1,260
Posts

 
Drives: E38 740i, E93 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmilk20 View Post
I know I've been flooding this forum with questions.. really appreciate the patience. Just want to make sure the money I spent an entire year saving will go to good use...

Imagine you did not have a maintenance warranty...lets say you have a 2006 330i that no longer has either maintenance or bumper to bumper warranty anymore...

how much would you say 1 yr of driving or ~13k miles cost in terms of maintenance and upkeep for a car on average?

please factors oil changes, break fluid changes.. etc.. what other regular maintenance is there, and how much would a tune up cost?

The more accurate the better

THANK YOU!!!
Ok well are you talking you doing the labor or someone else?

Oil change is around $50 for materials only on a 330/328, that is 7 quarts or oil and a filter and changing the oil yourself.

There are different schools of thought on oil changes but I prefer the once every 7500 change. I have done that on my 330, I have also done that on my E46 which now has 182,000 runs flawless and when I opened up the valve covers to change the gasket it was absolutely spotless (have pics to prove it see signature ).

So by that logic, in one year at 13k driving you would change the oil only once (but be very close to the second change.

For the brake fluid flush, that needs to be done every two years, its should have been done in 08, but many people dont do it so if you bought an 06 330 I would have it done just to have it done. Its not hard to do yourself but if you find a decent independent mechanic he can do the flush for less then $100.

Tune ups are really mileage dependent. The plugs can go 100k, but I personally like changing them at 60k, its not necessary that is just me. I also change the belts at 60k. Plugs are cheap and easy to change, one hour labor tops (I can do it in 30 min and I am not a mechanic) and plugs are less then $100. There really isnt much else to "Tune" on the E90.

Now there is the coolant flush, which is something else you should do every 2 years. I would try and pull the maintenance records for the car and see if that was done. Thats fairly cheep to do but make sure you use the 50/50 mix with BMW blue coolant and distilled water.

There are other things as well but really most are mileage dependent not year dependent. If you can tell me the mileage range you are looking at I can give you an idea.

Here are some examples, if the car has 30-40k on it you will need brakes if they havent been done yet. Brakes are SO easy to do but not cheap on the 330 because of the larger rotors, the rotors alone will cost you about $400 for all four corners then another $140 for the pads.

Tires (especially the sport package summer only tires) may need to be changed, Your lucky to get 25,000 miles out of those tires (I hate the runflats btw and if you did need new tires I would go with regular tires and a tire inflation/repair kit like the M mobility kit or the continental version which is cheaper).

Wiper blades (get them to change them before you by the car) there may be good aftermarket versions now but before there was nothing that fit the new style wiper arms BMW was using and they charge $50 for a set!!

Once you give me an idea on mileage I can tell you more.
__________________

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT
E30 M3 Sold, E36 Sold, E46 Sold, E90 Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
blue2fire
Brigadier General
blue2fire's Avatar
Cayman Islands
73
Rep
4,289
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Location, Location, Location

iTrader: (8)

The Oil Change from the dealer costs about $80 and is better at the stealer for maintaining a good record and resale value.
The brakes pads are expensive in comparison to say a new Civic (Probably 2.5 times as much)

Your question seems to me like you are looking at cars that are over 50k mi, this is not something i would recommend as these cars are not exactly bulletproof and you might be suddenly hit with a big repair bill that will be too much to stomach.

The BMW dealer network is not too customer friendly and more often than not will be as petty as humanly possible, don't count on any goodwill or assistance if something goes wrong.
My opinion is get a 328i which is a year younger.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #5
outofmoney
New Member
outofmoney's Avatar
2
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: 335d on order
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

I concur with the above sentiments. I had absolutely no issues with my 2006 330i that I turned in Nov 08. But I would be wary of any BMW out of warranty. Costs can add up quickly.
Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
methodtim
Brigadier General
methodtim's Avatar
Liechtenstein
41
Rep
3,636
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Darkness there, and nothing more

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
You only saved for one year?
__________________

09 E90 335i |Monaco Blue |Step|ZPP|ZSP|ZCW | L7 | iPod | CA
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
skimmilk20
Second Lieutenant
11
Rep
213
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i 6 spd MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys... yeah I think the 330i might be a bad choice, even with 3rd party warranty since I have no maintenance or factory warranty after the summer....

the 330i has 14k miles on it, asking price is 22k WITHOUT warranty...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
Staszek
Schumacher
Staszek's Avatar
21
Rep
1,260
Posts

 
Drives: E38 740i, E93 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmilk20 View Post
Thanks guys... yeah I think the 330i might be a bad choice, even with 3rd party warranty since I have no maintenance or factory warranty after the summer....

the 330i has 14k miles on it, asking price is 22k WITHOUT warranty...
If the 330 only has 14k on it then it has the OEM warranty till 50,000 miles.

4years / 50k

It also still has the maintenance plan till 50,000 miles.

The only problem is since its an 06 you only actually have 1 year of warranty left.

There is a program through the dealer that you can get the car certified, if you are below the oem warranty which this car is.

Not all dealers will do it though and its not to cheap but it can extend the warranty to 6 years / 100k


Who told you that the car has no warranty???

Secondly @22k is pretty decent for a 330 with that low mileage depending on how its optioned. You can probably get them down a little more, what options does it have?

BTW just for the record my car is over 50k on it no issues, my E46 is still going strong at 182k. So while some little things do go on these cars, if you maintain them they will run a long time. The engines are fantastic.
__________________

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT
E30 M3 Sold, E36 Sold, E46 Sold, E90 Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
nicknaz
Brigadier General
United_States
52
Rep
4,227
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Z4 35i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

14k miles without warranty.. if that's true it is probably because the car was salvaged or lemoned. I'd take a pass and keep on looking.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
Rekla's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
601
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Greater Seattle area - WA

iTrader: (18)

At 21k miles my 330i from September 2006 has been very good to me.
Only 2 things "worry" my mind now and then:

1. Metallic ticking noice - occured a couple of times between 12k - 15k miles. At 15k miles (june 2008) the dealer did the "bleed-reving" procedure which seems to have "solved" the ticking since it did not resurface since then. I am not rested though, knowing the cylinder head ticking threat an engine head replacement may be the only "permanent" hardware fix.
2. Steering wheel column lock - just happend once 2/6/2009, dealer reprogramed the entire vehicle 2/13/2009 so I just picked it up. Most of the posts on this forum about this problem advice to have the steering wheel column replaced on top of software updates. Since no hardware got replaced, I am not rested it won't resurface. Time will tell.

I do not have the extended warranty but may give it a serious thought in the next 18 months before my factory warranty expires. So far I have not had an acceptable offer. Asking the dealer in 2008 they asked $4k for it and answered "thats why people trade..." Well I have no intentions to trade since I really like the 330i handling, quality, performance, MPG, etc. Everytime I ride an other brand vehicle I am so glad to get back in my 330i... Just my $2c
__________________
2013 X5-35d - Platinum Grey / Oyster; Premium - Sport
2007 BMW ///M Coupe
RETIRED 2006 TiAg E90 330i - Black leather - Alu Trim - Prem - Sport - NAV - Step - CA - Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
blue2fire
Brigadier General
blue2fire's Avatar
Cayman Islands
73
Rep
4,289
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Location, Location, Location

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekla View Post
At 21k miles my 330i from September 2006 has been very good to me.
Only 2 things "worry" my mind now and then:

1. Metallic ticking noice - occured a couple of times between 12k - 15k miles. At 15k miles (june 2008) the dealer did the "bleed-reving" procedure which seems to have "solved" the ticking since it did not resurface since then. I am not rested though, knowing the cylinder head ticking threat an engine head replacement may be the only "permanent" hardware fix.
2. Steering wheel column lock - just happend once 2/6/2009, dealer reprogramed the entire vehicle 2/13/2009 so I just picked it up. Most of the posts on this forum about this problem advice to have the steering wheel column replaced on top of software updates. Since no hardware got replaced, I am not rested it won't resurface. Time will tell.

I do not have the extended warranty but may give it a serious thought in the next 18 months before my factory warranty expires. So far I have not had an acceptable offer. Asking the dealer in 2008 they asked $4k for it and answered "thats why people trade..." Well I have no intentions to trade since I really like the 330i handling, quality, performance, MPG, etc. Everytime I ride an other brand vehicle I am so glad to get back in my 330i... Just my $2c
4K is a lot, was it with the extended maintenace plan?
Shop around and look at other dealers but do not let the warranty expire, both the head and the steering column will run in the thousands to fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
Rekla's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
601
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Greater Seattle area - WA

iTrader: (18)

Just the warranty. I think he mentioned $3k for the maintenance plan. He was just BS me - I was ticked by his answer. Maybe I talked to the wrong guy at the wrong day...

Opertunity for any serious dealers out there that monitor this forum, PM me if you want to sell the extended maintenance and warranty plan... Open for serious offers.
__________________
2013 X5-35d - Platinum Grey / Oyster; Premium - Sport
2007 BMW ///M Coupe
RETIRED 2006 TiAg E90 330i - Black leather - Alu Trim - Prem - Sport - NAV - Step - CA - Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #13
Staszek
Schumacher
Staszek's Avatar
21
Rep
1,260
Posts

 
Drives: E38 740i, E93 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
14k miles without warranty.. if that's true it is probably because the car was salvaged or lemoned. I'd take a pass and keep on looking.
I agree there is no way it has no warranty with 14k unless its salvaged or lemoned.
__________________

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT
E30 M3 Sold, E36 Sold, E46 Sold, E90 Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #14
edl
Spoolin'
edl's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: 01 996TT, 01 M5, 08 X5 4.8
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
I agree there is no way it has no warranty with 14k unless its salvaged or lemoned.
Exclude lemon from the list - lemon law cars still carry the manufacturer's warranty. They are not eligible for the 6 year / 100K extended warranty.

I would buy this car if it meets your requirements. The 325/328/330 NA motor is extremely reliable and should give you years of trouble-free service.

I had a 1989 535i that ran fine to 160K, and a 1993 M5 that I bought at 85K, and sold at 225K on original engine and transmission. I am not nice to my cars, I just do the standard maintenance.

With the progress in engine technology and materials since those days, I would be shocked if the E90 NA motor gave you any problems below 250K. If anything, you'll get bored of the car before it gets there.

Also, most cars sold on the market today will easily make it to 150K miles before any significant problems surface. So you have no real reason to worry, unless you plan on driving 50K/year over 5 years+.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #15
skimmilk20
Second Lieutenant
11
Rep
213
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i 6 spd MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the responses guys...

I decided to pass on the 330i, even tho it was EXACTLY what I wanted because the OEM warranty would expire in June 2009. I spoke to about 7 dealers in the tri-state area, only one said that u could extend the warranty even if you're not the first owner, all others said you needed to be the original owner. I decided better not.

Now i'm looking at a 2007 328i 6spd MT, with exactly 20k miles. The car is bare bones, with no extras) The color is what I want but their asking 26k (excluding tax and reg.) so out the door is $28,700.

Personally I think thats too much, what do u guys think?


Also seeing a NON-CPO with OEM warranty thru end 2011 - asking $24k even. Also exactly what I want but its non-cpo.... Should I be worries about it being a lemon? will by warranty protect me if I were to buy it?

Would appreciate any advice to any/all of my questions!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #16
edl
Spoolin'
edl's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: 01 996TT, 01 M5, 08 X5 4.8
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmilk20 View Post
Thanks for the responses guys...

I decided to pass on the 330i, even tho it was EXACTLY what I wanted because the OEM warranty would expire in June 2009. I spoke to about 7 dealers in the tri-state area, only one said that u could extend the warranty even if you're not the first owner, all others said you needed to be the original owner. I decided better not.
That's correct, only the first owner (or a franchise dealership if they purchased the car from BMWFS) can extend the warranty.

Quote:
Now i'm looking at a 2007 328i 6spd MT, with exactly 20k miles. The car is bare bones, with no extras) The color is what I want but their asking 26k (excluding tax and reg.) so out the door is $28,700.

Personally I think thats too much, what do u guys think?
If it was fully loaded, then maybe. But bare-bones, I wouldn't pay more than $23K.

Quote:
Also seeing a NON-CPO with OEM warranty thru end 2011 - asking $24k even. Also exactly what I want but its non-cpo.... Should I be worries about it being a lemon? will by warranty protect me if I were to buy it?

Would appreciate any advice to any/all of my questions!
Run a carfax to see if it was a prior lemon law/buyback. In general with the E90/E92 chassis, most buybacks occured with early 2007 335's due to fuel pump failure. The 328/330's don't get sent back for lemon law very often.

Do keep in mind that you still would have warranty until 2011 - that's plenty of time to figure out if your car is problematic or not. Besides, if you're looking for one with no bells/whistles (idrive/nav), there really isn't much to go wrong...
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST