E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: **5 series knob on 330i - Modification COMPLETE! - Pictures**

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
DIY: **5 series knob on 330i - Modification COMPLETE! - Pictures**
Published by bmwexecutive
06-24-2006
DIY: **5 series knob on 330i - Modification COMPLETE! - Pictures**

Here's to all the naysayers that said it couldn't be done. It may have cost $110 and taken several hours of time, but I think it was well worth it! And as far as I know, I'm the first to have completed this mod in E90Post history (maybe even BMW history)!

The pictures pretty much lay out how I did it, but just as a brief overview: First I ordered the 5 series knob with the leatherette top from my BMW dealer and then took the original 3 series knob to a machining shop to be milled down to it's four outter connecting points and then filed it down so the points were rounded. I then grinded out the inner mounting points on the 5 series knob, roughened the top surface of the 3 series knob (for better expoy adhesion), and broke off the tabs that connect the leatherette top to the knob. Then I bought the strongest epoxy I could find (2500PSI holding capability) and bonded the 3 series "guts" to the inside of the 5 series knob. I then conditioned the leatherette top with Zaino, pressed it into the top of the 5 series knob (fit snug even without the clips) and finally pressed the completed knob down into the iDrive control in the car. I'm very happy with the final product!

Price: $110
Time: 5 hours

Enjoy!

FINAL PRODUCT

GETTING THERE

Tutorial Tools
By Robert on 06-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Good job. Looks really nice. I love fellow DIYers ;-)
By Oz on 06-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Awesome job. Congratulations!
By bimmer4me on 06-24-2006, 08:33 PM
You know what? That's look fantastic!!

Good job! I'm impressed.
By Nikki on 06-24-2006, 08:52 PM
What's the difference between them? 5 series knob is larger?
By tctic on 06-24-2006, 08:54 PM
I think the 5 serie's knob is yes, larger and with a different shape. Also it has leatherette/leather (not sure) on the top of the knob.
By Nikki on 06-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tctic
I think the 5 serie's knob is yes, larger and with a different shape. Also it has leatherette/leather (not sure) on the top of the knob.
Oh thanks, you're right I think I recall now the 3 series one is all aluminum.
By bmwexecutive on 06-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
Oh thanks, you're right I think I recall now the 3 series one is all aluminum.
Yes, here is what the 3 series knob looks like:

By gos on 06-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Definitely an improvement, nice work. Sort of annoying that if you don't have aluminum trim, that's like the only visible aluminum in the interior... really sticks out IMO.

How long until you re-finish that iDrive knob using the //M perforated leather? =P
By Nikki on 06-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Hmm, looks much better, especially since you don't have aluminum trim. Good work.
By bmwexecutive on 06-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gos
Definitely an improvement, nice work. Sort of annoying that if you don't have aluminum trim, that's like the only visible aluminum in the interior... really sticks out IMO.
Actually, it matches my gear shift lever since I have an automatic. They are the same color. I think it looks great! See:

By ZuerstBMW on 06-24-2006, 09:36 PM
I love it, looks fantastic.
By Greeney on 06-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Would you do one for me when I get my car? That is one mod that actually makes the interior look much more upscale. Such a small thing too, amazing.
By bmwexecutive on 06-24-2006, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeney
Would you do one for me when I get my car? That is one mod that actually makes the interior look much more upscale. Such a small thing too, amazing.
You have a PM.

And yes, I totally agree. That's why I did it.
By bmwexecutive on 06-24-2006, 09:51 PM
BTW: Thanks for all of the comments guys! I posted the DIY on how to do this because I know it would save you a lot of time. Out of the five hours it took me to do this, about half of that time was just thinking about how exactly to do it. Had to move the seat all the way back to look underneath it and see why it wasn't connecting the first time and stuff. At least for now, there's a good chance that I've got the only 3 series BMW in the entire world that has the 5 series leather knob.
By JSpira on 06-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Congratulations on the mod and the excellent DIY write-up.
By bmwexecutive on 06-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira
Congratulations on the mod and the excellent DIY write-up.
Thanks, JSpira. I remember you were one of the ones who told me that it couldn't be done.
By Asiann on 06-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Great job!
By bmwexecutive on 06-24-2006, 10:32 PM
BTW: If you're planning on doing this modification, obviously feel free but be sure to remember in the back of your head that me and my 330i were the first!
By longtran on 06-24-2006, 10:40 PM
good work....
By mava330 on 06-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
good work....
When are u gonna do this mod foo?!!

XCELLENT MOD BTW!!
By Jason on 06-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Looks awesome! Adding to DIY list.
Comment