E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Flash N54/N55 MHD/xHP without tablet



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
Red Car
Red Car's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
2,803
Posts

Drives: 2017 S3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (12)

Thumbs up DIY: Flash N54/N55 MHD/xHP without tablet

This guide will show you how to flash your car without the use of physical android tablet.

I recently purchased a space gray MacBook 12 retina. being it is ultra portable I opted for setting up emulators on my Mac instead of using a cheap android tablet to switch MHD maps on my car. for some its a headache figuring out which tablet supports OTG !

Core requirements
  • Mac/Windows
  • K Dac OBD cable
  • USB c to USB adapter (in my instance I only have a usb C port)










  1. Download & setup android emulator from (http://www.andyroid.net)
  2. Download FTDi VCP drivers for your OS (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm)
  3. Enable Virtual com ports as shown in the settings image above (open the VM app not Andy emulator)
  4. Run Andy, log in to google play store
  5. Run MHD or xHP flash tool and make sure to select option to allow mountable devices every time you open this app. (at this point your cable should light up and it is ready to transfer data)


Last edited by Red Car; 03-18-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
houtan
Lieutenant Colonel
houtan's Avatar
183
Rep
1,751
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: socal

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
Thanks! How long did it take you to flash a map this way?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
krommmy
Private First Class
14
Rep
198
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i N54
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post
This guide will show you how to flash your car without the use of physical android tablet.

I recently purchased a space gray MacBook 12 retina. being it is ultra portable I opted for setting up emulators on my Mac instead of using a cheap android tablet to switch MHD maps on my car. for some its a headache figuring out which tablet supports OTG !

Core requirements
  • Mac/Windows
  • K Dac OBD cable
  • USB c to USB adapter (in my instance I only have a usb C port)










  1. Download & setup android emulator from (http://www.andyroid.net)
  2. Download FTDi VCP drivers for your OS (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm)
  3. Enable Virtual com ports as shown in the settings image above (open the VM app not Andy emulator)
  4. Run Andy, log in to google play store
  5. Run MHD or xHP flash tool and make sure to select option to allow mountable devices every time you open this app. (at this point your cable should light up and it is ready to transfer data)


I just bought these things. how much does this flash cost and is it easy?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Red Car
Red Car's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
2,803
Posts

Drives: 2017 S3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Thanks! How long did it take you to flash a map this way?
I actually did not check but should be less than half an hour or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by krommmy View Post
I just bought these things. how much does this flash cost and is it easy?
prices vary once you are in the app it will show you what modules you'll need
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Joey911
Lieutenant
Joey911's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
509
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Thanks! How long did it take you to flash a map this way?
I actually did not check but should be less than half an hour or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by krommmy View Post
I just bought these things. how much does this flash cost and is it easy?
prices vary once you are in the app it will show you what modules you'll need
Less than half an hour lol wut!
__________________
2011 BMW 335i MT w/ M Sport
| PTF Stage 2+ eTune on Cobb AP V3 |
| aFe Drop-in air filter | Evolution Racewerks Front Mount Intercooler | Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe | VRSF Catless Downpipe | Secondary Cats from N54 | 335is Mufflers |
| Wavetrac Limited Slip Differential |
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
kanovic
Private
7
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: 06 evo
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Rossville Ga

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911 View Post
Less than half an hour lol wut!
He probably means the first flash. The first flash on MHD takes a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
Red Car
Red Car's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
2,803
Posts

Drives: 2017 S3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (12)

Lol sorry guys. Yeah first full flash is obviously in between 28-35mins.

Switching between maps takes merely less than 2 minutes.

Keep in mind this is a emulator it's not using 100% computer hardware power so don't expect lightning fast read/write times lol.

It's as fast if not a little faster than most tablets
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #8
CanadianTSi
Lieutenant
CanadianTSi's Avatar
Canada
75
Rep
492
Posts

Drives: 2010 335xi M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Alberta

iTrader: (0)

I don't believe computing power is the limiting factor in Flash times.
__________________
Active Autowerkes Charge Pipe and BOV, AFE Dual Cone Intake, BMS OCC, MHD Stage 1, xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
Joey911
Lieutenant
Joey911's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
509
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post
Lol sorry guys. Yeah first full flash is obviously in between 28-35mins.

Switching between maps takes merely less than 2 minutes.

Keep in mind this is a emulator it's not using 100% computer hardware power so don't expect lightning fast read/write times lol.

It's as fast if not a little faster than most tablets
2 minutes! It is twice as fast as what mine is doing right now!!!

It functions just like a tablet right? Logging and stuffs?
__________________
2011 BMW 335i MT w/ M Sport
| PTF Stage 2+ eTune on Cobb AP V3 |
| aFe Drop-in air filter | Evolution Racewerks Front Mount Intercooler | Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe | VRSF Catless Downpipe | Secondary Cats from N54 | 335is Mufflers |
| Wavetrac Limited Slip Differential |
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
Red Car
Red Car's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
2,803
Posts

Drives: 2017 S3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911 View Post
2 minutes! It is twice as fast as what mine is doing right now!!!

It functions just like a tablet right? Logging and stuffs?
yes, but you'll have to have your laptop connected while driving.

unless MHD releases their bluetooth module sooner.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
Joey911
Lieutenant
Joey911's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
509
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911 View Post
2 minutes! It is twice as fast as what mine is doing right now!!!

It functions just like a tablet right? Logging and stuffs?
yes, but you'll have to have your laptop connected while driving.

unless MHD releases their bluetooth module sooner.
Yea, it is nicer than going back and forth, car to tablet, tablet to laptop, car to tablet..... when you're out tuning.

If it works on Mac then there should be a way to make it work on windows eh?
__________________
2011 BMW 335i MT w/ M Sport
| PTF Stage 2+ eTune on Cobb AP V3 |
| aFe Drop-in air filter | Evolution Racewerks Front Mount Intercooler | Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe | VRSF Catless Downpipe | Secondary Cats from N54 | 335is Mufflers |
| Wavetrac Limited Slip Differential |
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
bahn
Lieutenant
United_States
218
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Iowa

iTrader: (0)

Cant seem to get this working on windows at least using the newest Andy (which is using VMWare player)

* Got it working, serial port forwarding isn't what's making it work. You need the USB Controller enabled to pass-through USB. Flash time was still 4mins

Last edited by bahn; 03-18-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #13
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
BeastMode335i's Avatar
United_States
523
Rep
3,954
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fote Myas, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post
unless MHD releases their bluetooth module sooner.
Didn't this idea get pushed to the back burner though..? I'd love a bluetooth MHD adapter, but I read that it wasn't a top priority, and that was about a year ago..

In January he was still saying "no" to any progress..
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=14
__________________
Jet Black E92 335i 6AT - VTT GC Install Date 4-1-17, Alpina B3 Flash - BMS DCI - ARM 3" Catless DP - VRSF CP - VRSF 7" FMIC - HKS BOV - MHD Stg. 2+/93 Tune - Kuda Dash Mount w/ LG G-Pad X 8.0 - BTC455 BT Streaming - M3 Rep Front - Shadowline Trim/Grills - LCI Tails - Golf Tee Mod - Codes for days
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #14
bpdef29
Private First Class
44
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: OC

iTrader: (0)

Gonna try it out now. This would be so much better than using my poo $40 tablet with 16 seconds of battery life
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 12:19 AM   #15
Red Car
Red Car's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
2,803
Posts

Drives: 2017 S3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911 View Post
2 minutes! It is twice as fast as what mine is doing right now!!!

It functions just like a tablet right? Logging and stuffs?
yes, but you'll have to have your laptop connected while driving.

unless MHD releases their bluetooth module sooner.
Yea, it is nicer than going back and forth, car to tablet, tablet to laptop, car to tablet..... when you're out tuning.

If it works on Mac then there should be a way to make it work on windows eh?
The emulator works on both Mac & windows
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 12:20 AM   #16
Red Car
Red Car's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
2,803
Posts

Drives: 2017 S3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdef29 View Post
Gonna try it out now. This would be so much better than using my poo $40 tablet with 16 seconds of battery life
Dude that's the reason behind this. I had this dragon tablet charged 100% i go flash my friends N55 and while the first flash was taking forever the stupid tablet was literally already at 25%. Luckily the flash was complete at 2% battery life lol
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 12:21 AM   #17
Red Car
Red Car's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
2,803
Posts

Drives: 2017 S3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Car View Post
unless MHD releases their bluetooth module sooner.
Didn't this idea get pushed to the back burner though..? I'd love a bluetooth MHD adapter, but I read that it wasn't a top priority, and that was about a year ago..

In January he was still saying "no" to any progress..
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=14
There's another thread here and at n54 tech talking about it's in the works recently and it would be one of the new things for MHD TBA
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #18
Red Car
Red Car's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
2,803
Posts

Drives: 2017 S3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (12)

bump
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 06:31 AM   #19
Len_Beach
Captain
40
Rep
853
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Is the VM software part of Androidy or a seperate download?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 02:25 AM   #20
Red Car
Red Car's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
2,803
Posts

Drives: 2017 S3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
Is the VM software part of Androidy or a seperate download?
seperate download
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #21
///M.Life
New Member
///M.Life's Avatar
0
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: 2012 M3 E92 ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
How does the Oracle Virtual Box tie into/communicate with the Andy emulator? I'm using Windows 10. I installed everything and Oracle wants me to create a virtual machine? I thought using the emulator is enough but I guess the usb port has to be able to communicate with Andy. Can someone clarify?
__________________
2012 E92 M3: Muffler Delete
2011 E90 335i: Alpina Flash | JB4 | Injen CAI | Chargepipe | VRSF Catless DP |
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #22
RoarinForeign
Enlisted Member
United_States
3
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335i xdrive
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Western MA

iTrader: (0)

will this work with Droid4x ? i tried to get andy but can not figure out how to make it work(or get it to open) on my mac.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
flash, mac, mhd tablet, tablet

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST