E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Anyone experiencing pulling when braking?

06-14-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
thebd
Enlisted Member

Drives: 325i

Anyone experiencing pulling when braking?

Steering wheels is pulling to the left when braking. Anyone else experiencing this? First I thought it was a flat tire, but after looking at it the tire looks fine.
      06-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
RaptorKTM
Colonel

Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
no but on the freeway for me sometimes the car is hard to keep perfectly straight
RaptorKTM is offline   United_States
      06-14-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!

Drives: 14 SG F15 / 12 Glacier F30

I wonder why is this?
14 F15 X5 3.5i M-Sport SG Terra, Fineline Oak, Driver Pkg, Prem. Pkg, H/K, Spare, 20" 469M Rims, Park Assist, Surround View, Shades MODS Performance Black Grille & Rocker Panel Decals, Painted Reflectors, 3M Bra, Black OEM X5 Frame 12 F30 328i Sport Line Glacier Silver Black w/ Red Stitching, Xenons, Prem Pkg, Sirus, Heated Seats MODS 3M Bra( w/ Rockers), Side/Rear Window Shades, Perf. Grill & Rear Spoiler, Painted Reflectors, Red Line mats, Black OEM BMW Frame, Xenon Fogs
ZuerstBMW is offline   Spain
      06-17-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
bmwexecutive
Banned

Drives: 2006 330i

New alignment needed.
      06-17-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!

Drives: 14 SG F15 / 12 Glacier F30

On a brand new car though?
14 F15 X5 3.5i M-Sport SG Terra, Fineline Oak, Driver Pkg, Prem. Pkg, H/K, Spare, 20" 469M Rims, Park Assist, Surround View, Shades MODS Performance Black Grille & Rocker Panel Decals, Painted Reflectors, 3M Bra, Black OEM X5 Frame 12 F30 328i Sport Line Glacier Silver Black w/ Red Stitching, Xenons, Prem Pkg, Sirus, Heated Seats MODS 3M Bra( w/ Rockers), Side/Rear Window Shades, Perf. Grill & Rear Spoiler, Painted Reflectors, Red Line mats, Black OEM BMW Frame, Xenon Fogs
ZuerstBMW is offline   Spain
      06-17-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
bmwexecutive
Banned

Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuerstBMW
On a brand new car though?
Well, sometimes things can happen on the journey from the factory to the dealership. It's not likely to happen, but it's possible.
      06-17-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
difush
Enlisted Member

Drives: E90

no problem with mine but my friend used to have a older model 3-series that does that. The alingment was fine and the rotor was also OK. They found out that it was a suspension problem. You can tell by looking at the inmbalance tire wear.
      06-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
tctic
Major

Drives: BMW E90

Check Tire pressure. I used to experience this too but after correcting the tire pressure the problem is gone. Maybe it's the nature of the tires that are causing this problem. I even took the car to the dealer but they said they couldn't find any problems with it after inspection.
tctic is offline   Canada
      07-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #9
ages944
Captain

Drives: E90 325i

check that tire pressure is adequate and even from side to side (front to back should be diff as per OEM spec).

then, take car on a level road (no ruts, bumps, etc) and test braking. If you're still pulling, bring the car in. This is a very black and white matter. A properly set up car should not pull to either side when braking. If it does, it's not correct.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
ages944 is offline   Poland
      07-28-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
BzsBimmer
2-4-6-8 My car and house depreciate

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to BzsBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944
check that tire pressure is adequate and even from side to side (front to back should be diff as per OEM spec).

then, take car on a level road (no ruts, bumps, etc) and test braking. If you're still pulling, bring the car in. This is a very black and white matter. A properly set up car should not pull to either side when braking. If it does, it's not correct.
That's the key... check braking on a newly paved street or one that is fairly free of road problems. If your car pulls on a newer/smoother road, take it in. If not, it's the road and the wheels are tracking with grooves in street. That was my problem too and I thought it was my frickin car
BzsBimmer is offline   United_States
      07-28-2006, 05:21 PM   #11
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebd
Steering wheels is pulling to the left when braking. Anyone else experiencing this? First I thought it was a flat tire, but after looking at it the tire looks fine.
It should brake dead centre - check the tyre pressure - if that's fine you have some sort of suspension geometry problem - maybe you hit a pothole - take it to the dealer for warranty fix.
      07-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
Ghunger
Major

Drives: 330i

My car occasionally pulls to one or the other side as well but it's just the ruts in the road and the low profile/stiff sidewall tires that cause it in my case. On flat pavement it stops just find with no steering input. I can let go of the wheel and it's completely fine stopping in a straight line.

I'm with the two suggestions above, go find a flat smooth parking lot or something similar (preferably not a road as most all roads have camber built in so they slope from the center down to the sides to drain water) and try braking from different speeds there, see if it pulls. Try the same stretch of pavement in both directions to see if it pulls the same way each time to make sure the road isn't causing it. If it still pulls the same way with all your tests, it's probably time to take it in for an alignment.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Ghunger is offline   United_States