E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2009 I-Drive Update



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
ThomasR
Private
5

 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Albany, GA


Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

2009 I-Drive Update

Hello,

My wife and I are looking to purchase our first BMW. We are going to order a 335i soon w/idrive.

I have spent hours and hours on this forum and Bimmerfest and have a few questions.

Does anyone really know how the iDrive data will be updated? Road data and POI's change from year to year so I think it's unrealistic for BMW to never update it unless you have an issue with the unit.

Depending on the answer to the above question I have thought about having the dealer I buy my car from agree in writing to update my car EVEN for a fee. What do you think about that?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
66

 
Rotary Rasp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal - Torrance


Posts: 1,631
iTrader: (6)

Are you kidding? Most manufacturers make you buy the updates. I'm pretty sure that the system is updated by DVD and you'll have to either buy it, or find and copy it. Also, the soonest update is probably a year or so away.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
47

 
ThorsHammer's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX


Posts: 1,389
iTrader: (10)

BMW releases a DVD update every so often. It's expensive. Most people pitch in and buy one disc and then share it/copy it. Do a search on here and you'll see what I'm talking about.
__________________
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
ThomasR
Private
5

 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Albany, GA


Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
BMW releases a DVD update every so often. It's expensive. Most people pitch in and buy one disc and then share it/copy it. Do a search on here and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I know that the Pre-09 models have a DVD update. What I was talking about were 2009 updates. So I ask again...How do you update those?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
47

 
ThorsHammer's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX


Posts: 1,389
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
I know that the Pre-09 models have a DVD update. What I was talking about were 2009 updates. So I ask again...How do you update those?
Uh, in the future?

I suspect they will put out an update in late '09 or early '10?
__________________
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #6
cereal
Enlisted Member
0

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tokyo


Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
I know that the Pre-09 models have a DVD update. What I was talking about were 2009 updates. So I ask again...How do you update those?
You can ask as many times as you like, you'll get the same answer every time.

The 2009 iDrive comes with a DVD drive. Updates will be copied from DVD to the HDD.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
47

 
ThorsHammer's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX


Posts: 1,389
iTrader: (10)

LOL
This thread is making me laugh.
__________________
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
KevinO
Warrior-Poet
United_States
6

 
KevinO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, CA


Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

Technically, the system can be updated via DVD or via the USB port by the dealer. As for how & when the updates will be marketed, and what mechanism(s) they will use, we won't know until the first update.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
ThomasR
Private
5

 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Albany, GA


Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Uh, in the future?

I suspect they will put out an update in late '09 or early '10?

I read that the pre-09's were updated usually twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
ThomasR
Private
5

 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Albany, GA


Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereal View Post
You can ask as many times as you like, you'll get the same answer every time.

The 2009 iDrive comes with a DVD drive. Updates will be copied from DVD to the HDD.

Well if you haven't been told or nobody has had it done I wouldn't assume that is the case. It's one thing when the system literally RUNS from the DVD as in the Pre-09's but it's another whole ball game when it's on a hard drive. I would bet that they have to hook something up to your car physically to update it, as I don't remember seeing an UPDATE IDRIVE DATA button in the menus. LOL

So bottom line is, no one here has had an update and has no idea when or how they will be done. Just speculation. So I'm back where I started.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
66

 
Rotary Rasp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal - Torrance


Posts: 1,631
iTrader: (6)

I was told it will be updated by dvd disc. The 2009 idrive still has a dvd drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
ThomasR
Private
5

 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Albany, GA


Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Rasp View Post
I was told it will be updated by dvd disc. The 2009 idrive still has a dvd drive.
Ok, cool.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #13
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
10

 
mdernst's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Tesla Model S
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA


Posts: 173
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
So bottom line is, no one here has had an update and has no idea when or how they will be done. Just speculation. So I'm back where I started.
It's been published that map updates will be either via DVD or the Dealer's Workshop Programming System (DIS/GT1/SSS).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Navigation_system_Professional_Multimedia Pg 5.pdf (155.0 KB, 840 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
cereal
Enlisted Member
0

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tokyo


Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
Well if you haven't been told or nobody has had it done I wouldn't assume that is the case. It's one thing when the system literally RUNS from the DVD as in the Pre-09's but it's another whole ball game when it's on a hard drive. I would bet that they have to hook something up to your car physically to update it, as I don't remember seeing an UPDATE IDRIVE DATA button in the menus. LOL

So bottom line is, no one here has had an update and has no idea when or how they will be done. Just speculation. So I'm back where I started.
No, you're not back where you started. You've been given an answer. You just choose to call it speculation.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 03:04 AM   #15
3er858
First Class Privates
United_States
23

 
3er858's Avatar
 
Drives: AW LCI, Daytona 675
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The AV


Posts: 600
iTrader: (0)

I was told by my dealer that there is an update due in March. It's supossed to fix some of the bugs in the system, but I'm not sure if there will be map updates or not...
__________________
LCI 335i | AW/Blk/Aluminum | 6sp | ZSP | Nav | Logic7| CA

LTBMW | VMR V710's| Nitto | H&R | LUX H8's | M-Sport Front | Perf. Rear | Matte Black Grills | M3 Lip | JL CF Splitters | BMS | Muffler Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #16
C.D.335xi
Private First Class
Canada
3

 
C.D.335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CDN embassies around the world


Posts: 183
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 Z4 35is  [0.00]
I own a Canadian spec car but live/work in the Middle East. My car came loaded from the factory with the North American maps but the local dealer uploaded the Middle East maps onto my hard drive when prepping my car before delivery. I didn't ask how it was done but based on the description contained in the work order I suspect that it was through the dealer programming system rather than a DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst View Post
It's been published that map updates will be either via DVD or the Dealer's Workshop Programming System (DIS/GT1/SSS).
__________________
2014 Z4 35is Deep Sea Blue
2009 E92 335i X-Drive 6MT - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #17
SoYank
Major General
United_States
166

 
SoYank's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brighton, Colorado


Posts: 7,503
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank Send a message via Skype™ to SoYank
My car came with the North American maps also but I'm in Europe for the time being. The dealerships did not have the software nor the knowledge at the time for updating the maps. According to the user's manual (who reads that?) the maps are updated via a DVD through the DVD drive in the car and an authorization code is entered in an undisclosed manner, i.e., how so is not mentioned in the manual. It also indicates that the maps can be updated via the USB port. As for the current maps, in addition to North America, all of Europe is also on the hard drive in a test directory. My local service center was able to figure that out.
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue Black Leather Burl Walnut 6MT US Spec
SatNav ZPP ZCW 6FL TPMS iDrive PDC HWS Xenons BMW Assist Power Rear Sunshade Logic 7
European Taillights Rear Foglamp OEM Alarm PicoTray DataToys XM-DVR Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #18
melm
Private
United_States
1

 
Drives: BMW 328i 2009 idrive sat radio
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Arizona


Posts: 56
iTrader: (0)

There is an update to the 2009 iDrive software. My dealer has me down for an update on March 10th. I was having trouble with the system refusing to navigate to some known destinations at random. Also the BMW search through Google stopped working, saying there was a 'timeout' and to try again later. It's been dead almost a week, and as BMW Search is a paid option, I'd like them to get it fixed ASAP. Other than that the new iDrive is a joy, as is the car, a 328i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er858 View Post
I was told by my dealer that there is an update due in March. It's supossed to fix some of the bugs in the system, but I'm not sure if there will be map updates or not...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #19
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
47

 
ThorsHammer's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX


Posts: 1,389
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melm View Post
There is an update to the 2009 iDrive software. My dealer has me down for an update on March 10th. I was having trouble with the system refusing to navigate to some known destinations at random. Also the BMW search through Google stopped working, saying there was a 'timeout' and to try again later. It's been dead almost a week, and as BMW Search is a paid option, I'd like them to get it fixed ASAP. Other than that the new iDrive is a joy, as is the car, a 328i.
Good to know!!! I've been getting the timeouts also.
__________________
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #20
KevinO
Warrior-Poet
United_States
6

 
KevinO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, CA


Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by melm View Post
There is an update to the 2009 iDrive software. My dealer has me down for an update on March 10th. I was having trouble with the system refusing to navigate to some known destinations at random. Also the BMW search through Google stopped working, saying there was a 'timeout' and to try again later. It's been dead almost a week, and as BMW Search is a paid option, I'd like them to get it fixed ASAP. Other than that the new iDrive is a joy, as is the car, a 328i.
Can you get any more specific info on this update (version, BMW service notice, etc). Asked my dealer about it and they said no such beast.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST