E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > European chip for the Radio?

02-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
erock77
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i Cabrio

European chip for the Radio?

How can I get my American radio to receive all european radio channels?

I have an American spec, 2008 335CI Cabrio in Germany with a stock BMW American Radio in Germany. As European radio signals use all the frequencies, and not just the odd ones like in the US, I only get a fraction of the radio stations and none of the traffic information while I'm cruising the autobahn here. Does anyone know if there is a chip I can buy/upgrade to that will allow me to receive European radio stations? Or do i need a whole new radio? Thanks for the help/advise.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by erock77 View Post
How can I get my American radio to receive all european radio channels?

I have an American spec, 2008 335CI Cabrio in Germany with a stock BMW American Radio in Germany. As European radio signals use all the frequencies, and not just the odd ones like in the US, I only get a fraction of the radio stations and none of the traffic information while I'm cruising the autobahn here. Does anyone know if there is a chip I can buy/upgrade to that will allow me to receive European radio stations? Or do i need a whole new radio? Thanks for the help/advise.
A German BMW dealer can reprogram your US unit to receive European frequencies...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

I would be very interested to hear if you have success in getting the frequencies modified to receive all of the European stations. I've tried to do that and have had no luck with a 2009 US-spec car. I am hoping that its possible to do and that it will also solve the issue of the RTTI.

So far, I have not heard from anyone who has been able to do this for more recent vintage cars. In my first BMW, back in the early 90s in Germany, they swapped out the US radio for a Euro one.

If you get a German dealer to fix it, please let me know what they did. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
nickgoa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I am interested in this also. Keep us posted please.

Thanks,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
Xander
I'm new
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 Turbo, F80 M3, CC & Yukon

+1 My mom's US car is now being used in Europe.

X...

edit found this, it works

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/...showtopic=6327

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), or in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108).
They also do a USA and CANADA mode but that's not useful here in NZ.

BMWs imported from Japan have their radios set to JAPAN mode (wonder why?)

These can be readily re-programmed to NZ frequencies as follows:

1. Switch on radio
2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.
3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)
4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.
5. Switch radio off to store the change

Voila! Your radio has now bee reprogrammed to receive NZ FM frequencies!
Also, the cool RDS features will now be available.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

a) EUROPE has LW, MW and FM. OCEANIA has AM and FM only.

b) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

c) EUROPE has the softkeys set to RDS and TP; OCEANIA has RDS and PTY

Which ever one you choose - OCEANIA or EUROPE - is up to you, they both work.

I hope you find this info useful, and that the forum moderator makes this a 'sticky'

PS: If anyone wants any info or help with BMW radios - talk to me. I've helped around 80 BMW owners convert from Japan radios to proper NZ radios for their BMWs, thus keeping the vehicle in original condition, and obtaining proper radio reception. Send me an email for more info!

Cheers, Jochen

Last edited by Xander; 04-12-2009 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
+1 My mom's US car is now being used in Europe.

X...

edit found this, it works

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/...showtopic=6327

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), or in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108).
They also do a USA and CANADA mode but that's not useful here in NZ.

BMWs imported from Japan have their radios set to JAPAN mode (wonder why?)

These can be readily re-programmed to NZ frequencies as follows:

1. Switch on radio
2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.
3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)
4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.
5. Switch radio off to store the change

Voila! Your radio has now bee reprogrammed to receive NZ FM frequencies!
Also, the cool RDS features will now be available.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

a) EUROPE has LW, MW and FM. OCEANIA has AM and FM only.

b) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

c) EUROPE has the softkeys set to RDS and TP; OCEANIA has RDS and PTY

Which ever one you choose - OCEANIA or EUROPE - is up to you, they both work.

I hope you find this info useful, and that the forum moderator makes this a 'sticky'

PS: If anyone wants any info or help with BMW radios - talk to me. I've helped around 80 BMW owners convert from Japan radios to proper NZ radios for their BMWs, thus keeping the vehicle in original condition, and obtaining proper radio reception. Send me an email for more info!

Cheers, Jochen
This does not apply to the E9x radios.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Dwill335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i White/Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
This does not apply to the E9x radios.
Do you mean the function is not there, or that it doesn't work? I just tried mine and although I didn't actually change anything, the function appears to be there. Here's what I did:

- Held down the m button for 10 sec.
- Got a screen that said Device Data with a 1 (the menu number) in the right hand corner of the display and a down and right arrow for the soft keys underneath. Right arrow takes you to the next menu, down arrow moves you down in selected menu
- Pressed right arrow once to take you to menu 2 (Device functions) and then down once to go to submenu 2-1 Area Code
- Looks like my options are ECE, USA, JPN, and OCE. It was set to USA and I didn't change it.
- Wasn't obvious how to get out of the menu, so I turned the radio off and back and and that seems to get out of it.

Looks like a lot of info in those menus. I have the base radio w/o Logic 7, although I suspect the Logic 7 radio would be the same.

Should mention that my experience is with my non-idrive radio only. I don't believe that idrive radios have the m button.

Last edited by Dwill335i; 04-12-2009 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
Kamando
Captain
Rep
Drives: -

Found another menu. (Works on 3 Series)
No user selectable values though, can only browse the menus.
Name:  Picture 2.png
Views: 9606
Size:  76.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0095.jpg
Views: 9392
Size:  29.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0096.jpg
Views: 9342
Size:  24.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0097.jpg
Views: 9395
Size:  26.9 KB

Last edited by Kamando; 04-12-2009 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #9
C.D.335xi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Garage List
2014 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Does anyone know how to access this menu in vehicles equipped with Idrive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwill335i View Post
Do you mean the function is not there, or that it doesn't work? I just tried mine and although I didn't actually change anything, the function appears to be there. Here's what I did:

- Got a screen that said Device Data with a 1 (the menu number) in the right hand corner of the display and a down and right arrow for the soft keys underneath. Right arrow takes you to the next menu, down arrow moves you down in selected menu
- Pressed right arrow once to take you to menu 2 (Device functions) and then down once to go to submenu 2-1 Area Code
- Looks like my options are ECE, USA, JPN, and OCE. It was set to USA and I didn't change it.
- Wasn't obvious how to get out of the menu, so I turned the radio off and back and and that seems to get out of it.

Looks like a lot of info in those menus. I have the base radio w/o Logic 7, although I suspect the Logic 7 radio would be the same.

Should mention that my experience is with my non-idrive radio only. I don't believe that idrive radios have the m button.
      04-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.D.335xi View Post
Does anyone know how to access this menu in vehicles equipped with Idrive?
+1

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The instructions are in the CIC PDF guide that BMW published for its tech personnel (see copy about 10-15 msgs into this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233573). Unfortunately, the '09 (and maybe '08) iDrive svc menu does not include an option for the FM radio regional setting.

I've been having an extended discussion with BMW in Munich about this and they continue to insist that the European FM freqs and traffic info will not work in the M3. At the same time, I've heard from several 3-series owners who were able to have their dealer recode the radio to pull in all freqs. And I've also heard from some who had RTTI functioning when they intiially received their cars. After a service was performed, the RTTI was disabled by some update to the software (this was also confirmed to me by someone at Pentagon Car Sales but PCS didn't want to pursue this issue further with BMW to try to fix it(!).

So BMW AG seems to be taking a misleading approach on these issues; its almost as if there is some edict to cripple these functions in US-spec cars in Europe. But that (at least to my "US-spec" mind) makes no sense because most of these US-spec cars have been sold by BMW specifically for use in Europe by US mil or diplomats. Its not like BMW is losing sales of European-specs BMW's since these US-spec cars cannot be sold to Europeans and those buying them would probably not buy a Euro-spec car since we could not ship them back to the States after our tour in Europe (in addition to which the Euro-spec cars are priced much higher for the same model/equipment level).

I've started a thread in the M3post forum for issues with US-spec cars outside the US. I've got some ideas on how to bring more pressure on BMW to address these problems and will try to post something there soon. In the meantime, if you've lost RTTI functioning in your 3-series after a service, drop me a PM or post in the M3post sub-forum. Also, if you've been able to get your 08 or 09 iDrive-equipped 3-series radio coded to Euro-spec, please post the name of the dealer that did the work so we can find out how it was done. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
C.D.335xi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2014 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Thanks for your efforts. I'll check out the thread in M3post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
I've started a thread in the M3post forum for issues with US-spec cars outside the US. I've got some ideas on how to bring more pressure on BMW to address these problems and will try to post something there soon. In the meantime, if you've lost RTTI functioning in your 3-series after a service, drop me a PM or post in the M3post sub-forum. Also, if you've been able to get your 08 or 09 iDrive-equipped 3-series radio coded to Euro-spec, please post the name of the dealer that did the work so we can find out how it was done. Thanks!
      04-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

never had an issue with my radio.

US spec 335i in the UK

drove from Germany think radio worked fine, can't remember
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
mpbmw3
Rep
Drives: BMW 335XI

i've been able to get into this OSD menu in my iDrive system, but cannot make any changes. Does anyone have further info?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 04:06 AM   #15
allan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93, barbera/cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwill335i View Post

----------------------------------------
Did it last night and it seems to work (....and one dealer told me "NO")
my car: 04/08 E93 non-IDrive

Thanks to the posters
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 02:16 AM   #16
gladys
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

2009 iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbmw3 View Post
i've been able to get into this OSD menu in my iDrive system, but cannot make any changes. Does anyone have further info?
Same here. Would really like to know if anybody knows a dealer that can make this happen in my 2009 328i. Even willing to replace the actual radio if that would work.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #17
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Any developments on this? I know hardware swap is possible, but need the 'old' radio for servicing, so semi-solution is to buy an extra EU Radio for c. 2k EUR.

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 04:14 AM   #18
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Discouraging news, with silver lining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atny286 View Post
Any developments on this? I know hardware swap is possible, but need the 'old' radio for servicing, so semi-solution is to buy an extra EU Radio for c. 2k EUR.
I have kind of put this to the side because after several back and forth discussions with BMW AG, they refunded the price of the navigation system and the BMW Assist because they don't work properly for me in Europe on a US-spec car (BMW Assist does not work at all and neither does traffic info/CBS service system). Important to note here that I had asked BMW AG about these functions (and the radio) before I bought the car through diplomatic sales and was told they would work (I ordered my '09 before they switched to '09 production so I only had BMW info to go on). I knew from prior experience with E36 and E46 M3s that the FM radios could be switched over to european freqs.

I am grateful that BMW did come through with a refund of the price of these systems (after many, many discussions and a letter to the head of BMW sales). If, as BMW AG maintains, the radio/BMW Assist/Navigation cannot be upgraded/modified to work (or work properly) in Europe, then BMW AG have done right by me in refunding the cost of these crippled or non-operative systems (although BMW still does make clear in their diplomatic sales program that there are these limitations on their cars, which I recommended they do). They will definitely keep me as a customer (not only because of this but also because of how much I enjoy the M3).

On the other hand, I think I know enough about the systems now from much research and discussion with BMW to doubt that they cannot be made to work here. And several other US-spec BMW owners have had the FM radio and traffic info systems working fine in Europe, only to lose the functions after a software update -- what can be swtiched off that way can surely be turned back on.

My sense is that BMW decided it is not worth the cost of even looking into the problem for now (I say now, because I think as BMW makes these electronic systems more integral to the car--whether the accident reporting on BMW Assist or scheduling/tracking service etc--they will run into a problem in being able to continue to sell US-spec cars, especially in Germany where there are quite a few and abount 7-8 full time dealers selling them).

As an aside, when I have a little more time on my hands, I am going to try to open the telematics unit to see if I can swap out the AT&T SIM card for a european one (T-Mobile probably). I want to see if swapping the SIM cards does anything at all (I suspect not).
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #19
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Just buy a used radio off ebay.de for €100 and stick it in while overseas.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
I have kind of put this to the side because after several back and forth discussions with BMW AG, they refunded the price of the navigation system and the BMW Assist because they don't work properly for me in Europe on a US-spec car (BMW Assist does not work at all and neither does traffic info/CBS service system). Important to note here that I had asked BMW AG about these functions (and the radio) before I bought the car through diplomatic sales and was told they would work (I ordered my '09 before they switched to '09 production so I only had BMW info to go on). I knew from prior experience with E36 and E46 M3s that the FM radios could be switched over to european freqs.

I am grateful that BMW did come through with a refund of the price of these systems (after many, many discussions and a letter to the head of BMW sales). If, as BMW AG maintains, the radio/BMW Assist/Navigation cannot be upgraded/modified to work (or work properly) in Europe, then BMW AG have done right by me in refunding the cost of these crippled or non-operative systems (although BMW still does make clear in their diplomatic sales program that there are these limitations on their cars, which I recommended they do). They will definitely keep me as a customer (not only because of this but also because of how much I enjoy the M3).

On the other hand, I think I know enough about the systems now from much research and discussion with BMW to doubt that they cannot be made to work here. And several other US-spec BMW owners have had the FM radio and traffic info systems working fine in Europe, only to lose the functions after a software update -- what can be swtiched off that way can surely be turned back on.

My sense is that BMW decided it is not worth the cost of even looking into the problem for now (I say now, because I think as BMW makes these electronic systems more integral to the car--whether the accident reporting on BMW Assist or scheduling/tracking service etc--they will run into a problem in being able to continue to sell US-spec cars, especially in Germany where there are quite a few and abount 7-8 full time dealers selling them).

As an aside, when I have a little more time on my hands, I am going to try to open the telematics unit to see if I can swap out the AT&T SIM card for a european one (T-Mobile probably). I want to see if swapping the SIM cards does anything at all (I suspect not).
Perhaps BMWAG has not been very clear in their explanations, but both the iDrive (CCC and CIC) and the TCU have a particular and specific different hardware between the USA and Europe. There are options and features that are simply beyond a software update (HD and Satellite radio for example). Especially the Assist, as the USA TCU is not set to be GSM Global (in the case of the GSM TCU version), so even if you find that elusive SIM card it simply won't work.

In the case of Traffic, that's easy because the hardware and software is there thru either RDS or by the Clear Channel service.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
BMW Jet
BMW addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW 2006 330i Soon to be F80

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
I have a E90 330i US Spec 2006 without Idrive.
I have the BMW Professional radio with Logic 7.

I have succeeded in programing european non-odd radio channels on the radio.

So I know it works.
Now how did I do it? big question. the answer I don't really know.

What I did though was to auto scan the frequency network and manually too.
Only one radio non-odd channel was found by the radio (104.4) on the preset button 5, and the radio could not lock in the other channels although I repeated the auto scan or the manual scan again and again. Sometimes by parking next to the broadcasting antenna of the radio stations.

How did the radio lock on one non-odd channel, I don't know. What I know is it did lock on. To get the other radio stations, I just scrolled manually from the 104.4 channel to search for other channels. Starting the manual scan from a non-odd radio channel let me scan only non-odd channels. From there, I found the other non-odd channels and saved the channels on other preset buttons.

What I conclude from this:
1- there is no need to get a reprogramming done on the radio
2- no need for a different chip
3- it can be done without any special operation although I am still fiddling out to see how it was done in the first place. I don't want to reset the radio because maybe it cannot lock on the non-odd channels again!

Quad Exhaust / Glossy Black Grill / Carbon Fiber mirrors / OEM Rear Spoiler / Mtec V2 AE / GP Thunder beams /
7500k Fog lights / Interior light LEDs / License LEDs / Trunk LED / Black Air scoops
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #22
C.D.335xi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2014 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Very interesting - thanks for sharing your experience. I'll try scanning the FM band again and see if the radio will lock onto one of the even numbered stations so I can manually tune in the rest.