E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iDrive Calibration and Re-Routing

03-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
RonRed89
Private

Drives: 09 335xi CPE

iDrive Calibration and Re-Routing

All,

Just getting used to the new iDrive on my 09 335xi Coupe and had a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers to in the search.

1) Is there any way to calibrate the antennas for accuracy. From what I am seeing, the system is about .2 miles off in most cases. While part of this can be attributed to maps I suppose, I find that even a $200 garmin unit doesn't suffer from this lack of accuracy. I spoke to my dealer's service department, and they are not aware of any such calibration that can be done on their side nor did I find any such menu in the system to allow me to attempt it myself.

2) Is there any way for iDrive to tell you that you missed a turn when you veer off the its intended path? It correctly and automatically re-routes you to a different route when you miss the turn, and audibly tells you to make a u-turn or whatever, but the garmin unit will say something to the effect of "Recalculating" or beep. Is there a similar function within iDrive 09 for this?

3) What is dynamic navigation option in iDrive 09 for? Perhaps this one is in the manual, but I haven't gotten that far in the encyclopedia of books that came with the car.

Thanks for your help!

Ron
      03-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
RonRed89
Private

It seems as if there must be some sort of internal calibration that takes place. When I first got the car, I thought that the nav was at least .2-.3 mi off, whereas after about 700 miles of driving, it seems to be pretty dead on. While I don't agree with the direction that it wants to go sometimes, at least the turns it recommends come up right when the street is there whereas before, I would have been told to turn well before the intersection. :-)

Has anyone noticed this behavior with the iDrive Nav?

Ron
      03-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
airwolf878
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 435i

Mine is very accurate, hasn't needed any calibration or anything.

If you miss a turn, the route automatically updates but it doesn't verbally say "recalculating" like some of the portable units do. As far as I know there is no option to make it do that either.
      03-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #4
Cloud9blue
Major

Drives: avoiding the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRed89 View Post
All,

Just getting used to the new iDrive on my 09 335xi Coupe and had a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers to in the search.

1) Is there any way to calibrate the antennas for accuracy. From what I am seeing, the system is about .2 miles off in most cases. While part of this can be attributed to maps I suppose, I find that even a $200 garmin unit doesn't suffer from this lack of accuracy. I spoke to my dealer's service department, and they are not aware of any such calibration that can be done on their side nor did I find any such menu in the system to allow me to attempt it myself.

2) Is there any way for iDrive to tell you that you missed a turn when you veer off the its intended path? It correctly and automatically re-routes you to a different route when you miss the turn, and audibly tells you to make a u-turn or whatever, but the garmin unit will say something to the effect of "Recalculating" or beep. Is there a similar function within iDrive 09 for this?

3) What is dynamic navigation option in iDrive 09 for? Perhaps this one is in the manual, but I haven't gotten that far in the encyclopedia of books that came with the car.

Thanks for your help!

Ron
1) never had a problem with my 09 idrive, the position is dead on as long as the car can receive data from the satellite
2) why would you want that in the first place?
3) dynamic navigation option takes in to account of current traffic condition on the selected route. if there is a congestion building up along the current route, the nav will reroute you to a faster route.
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic Slip-on / Ohlins
Cloud9blue is offline   United_States
      03-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
RonRed89
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineCloud9 View Post
1) never had a problem with my 09 idrive, the position is dead on as long as the car can receive data from the satellite
2) why would you want that in the first place?
3) dynamic navigation option takes in to account of current traffic condition on the selected route. if there is a congestion building up along the current route, the nav will reroute you to a faster route.
#2 is fairly handy when you're not sure where you're going and are not on major streets. Given the original post indicated some inaccuracy on the part of the nav, knowing that you missed the turn is somewhat handy - at least for someone who has been used to the features of a portable unit.

Is there a display on the iDrive where it tells you satellite signal strength? I am wondering if any of my original complaints had to do more with the fact that it didn't have an accurate gaze of enough satellites (the system never complained about bad or low strength).

Thanks for the clarification on dynamic nav. Do you regularly use that feature, and if so, how have you found it relative to traffic avoidance? Most of the traffic warnings that I have seen (Cleveland, OH) center more around road construction as opposed to congested roadways. I have all of the traffic filters turned on (as in receive all traffic type alerts). I will have to play with this a little bit more to see how I like it.

Ron