E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Should I let the dealer detail my Jet Black BMW?

07-04-2006, 02:34 AM   #1
jetblackbmw325
Enlisted Member

Drives: BMW 325i

Question Should I let the dealer detail my Jet Black BMW?

Hi,

I'm about to receive my jet black BMW and I was wondering, after reading all these posts around swirls and hand wash , if it's safe to let the dealer detailing the first time the car... They said they were gonna do it, but I read some post around how they can screw it up, just because they machine wash, rather hand washing it. Is it true and common? would you let them do the first detailing? My dealer is the one in Fremont, CA, and I think I remember (I might be wrong) reading something right about this dealer doing a bad job (machine wash) with washing the car after a regular service. My car is jet black so it will be super easy to do the first swirls ;-). Any comment/suggestion is welcome!
      07-04-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant

Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackbmw325
Hi,

I'm about to receive my jet black BMW and I was wondering, after reading all these posts around swirls and hand wash , if it's safe to let the dealer detailing the first time the car... They said they were gonna do it, but I read some post around how they can screw it up, just because they machine wash, rather hand washing it. Is it true and common? would you let them do the first detailing? My dealer is the one in Fremont, CA, and I think I remember (I might be wrong) reading something right about this dealer doing a bad job (machine wash) with washing the car after a regular service. My car is jet black so it will be super easy to do the first swirls ;-). Any comment/suggestion is welcome!
Just print out David's 101 detailing tips from the sticky above and tell them that you will not accept anything less than that
FlyingFinn is offline   Finland
      07-04-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

NO DEALER WASH

They F everything up!!!!! Especially a machine wash.
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
      07-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
shimshimhada
Brigadier General

Drives: Portal

Dealers ALWAYS make swirls.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
      07-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
Brunotheboxer
Colonel

Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

especially on jet black. if you dont want to do it yourself then atleast go to a pro.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Brunotheboxer is offline   United_States
      07-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #6
DavidN
Lieutenant

Drives: 1997 BMW 318i

Go to the dealer in advance of getting your car and see how good a job they did prepping other black cars. If you are happy with you see, then let them do yours. If you are not happy, DIY with our help!
      07-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
sungmin
playing the field

Drives: Lunch is for Wimps

Send a message via AIM to sungmin
no matter what they will screw it up and put swirls in it. If you see that some other prepped cars dont then they probably used some cheap spray wax to hide the swirls. This is what happened to my car.
sungmin is offline   South Korea
      07-04-2006, 07:07 PM   #8
Asiann
Got Seoul?

Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Save yourself the trouble and do it right yourself!
      07-04-2006, 11:07 PM   #9
E90Brian
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 335i

Couldn't agree more--get the right tools/products and use the right techniques yourself (read DavidN's sticky for tips).
E90Brian is offline   United_States
      07-05-2006, 12:48 AM   #10
aphall
Captain

Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
NO to the dealer offering to detail your car. I told them when I picked up my car, I wanted to be the one taking the plastic bags and warning stickers off! No one was to touch my car. When i got there, they had left EVERYTHING as it was off the truck and I spent 20 minutes peeling off the styrofoam padding and plastic from the seats and what not. It was like unwrapping a present. But then, a month later, I took my car in to get it serviced and forgot to tell them not to wash my car, and when I got it back... TONS of swirls and even scratches. I was PISSED. Lessons learned...

aphall is offline   United_States
      07-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #11
DavidN
Lieutenant

Drives: 1997 BMW 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungmin
no matter what they will screw it up and put swirls in it. If you see that some other prepped cars dont then they probably used some cheap spray wax to hide the swirls. This is what happened to my car.
Yeah, that's a good point. They will use a cheap silicone induced spray wax to hide swirls.