E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Mother's Poweball?

07-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i

Mother's Poweball?

Is it safe for use on all painted surfaces? The box it comes in says it is but I didn't want to hook it up to a dril, start using it and find out I've got scratches all over my car. Just being on the safe side here. Anyone used it? I used it on my wheels last night and it didn't leave any scratches and worked pretty well but before I get started using it on my paint, I'd like to confirm. Thanks!

BTW: I plan on using it on my door jambs and stuff, not for polishing the body or anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I've used the powerball quite a few times, but only on wheels. I would never use it on any painted surface; the product itself is way too abrasive in my opinion.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
I've used the powerball quite a few times, but only on wheels. I would never use it on any painted surface; the product itself is way too abrasive in my opinion.

Cheers.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Any cheap rotary buffer that you'd recommend for someone who's never used a buffer before?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Sedan_Clan
Banned
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)

Quote:

Cheers.

I agree. That stuff is powerful. It ate a hole in my bathtub (..in diluted form). I had to purchase a new tub as a result.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Any cheap rotary buffer that you'd recommend for someone who's never used a buffer before?
I'm not sure if you know this already (if you do, stop me. ), but a rotary and a dual action buffer are two different things. Generally rotaries spin on one axis and are more aggressive than DA's, as a result they are able to remove more marring but come with a higher risk of paint damage.

DA's on the other hand, in particular the hugely popular PC7427 (or 7336, same model), are pretty fool proof and do a heck of a job. I still use one for about 50% of my client details. It's $109 from Lowes (add $50 for a backing plate and pads), but it'll last you 15 years and I promise it'll pay for itself in the first use. Here is a good "how to"

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html

I personally would not recommend the cheaper sub-$100 buffers you find at local auto shops; they're not really good for anything but waxing and in most cases tend to cause more harm than good.

Just imo, of course.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure if you know this already (if you do, stop me. ), but a rotary and a dual action buffer are two different things. Generally rotaries spin on one axis and are more aggressive than DA's, as a result they are able to remove more marring but come with a higher risk of paint damage.

DA's on the other hand, in particular the hugely popular PC7427 (or 7336, same model), are pretty fool proof and do a heck of a job. I still use one for about 50% of my client details. It's $109 from Lowes (add $50 for a backing plate and pads), but it'll last you 15 years and I promise it'll pay for itself in the first use. Here is a good "how to"

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html

I personally would not recommend the cheaper sub-$100 buffers you find at local auto shops; they're not really good for anything but waxing and in most cases tend to cause more harm than good.

Just imo, of course.

Cheers.
Thanks! Considering I bring in a pro to do the major detailing stuff every 5 to 6 months, do you think I'd be fine with a drill attachment kit for using 4" Buffer Pads with my drill? I'd plan on using a buffer mainly to help with scratches and/or polishing certain areas. I really wouldn't be using it to polish the entire car.

Here: http://www.autogeek.net/4inch-spot-buffs.html
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #7
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

i would not, just get a PC and some nice pads. Then you wont need to have a detailer to come in and do it. You will be able to do it yourself!!!

Chris
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

Like others have said, the PC is a good investment if you are willing to polish it yourself. I would not waste any money on drill attachments that may do more harm than good. As far as a rotary goes, I would leave that to the pros.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
Thanks! Considering I bring in a pro to do the major detailing stuff every 5 to 6 months, do you think I'd be fine with a drill attachment kit for using 4" Buffer Pads with my drill? I'd plan on using a buffer mainly to help with scratches and/or polishing certain areas. I really wouldn't be using it to polish the entire car.

Here: http://www.autogeek.net/4inch-spot-buffs.html
I think you're better off working by hand than bothering with any drill attachments. Meg's ScratchX and a foam applicator will take out bird poop etchings and small scratches in between details. Just continue to wax by hand.

Regardless I still always recommend a PC even if it's only used for sealing/waxing. I know $150 is a lot to justify however after you've used it once or twice it will have paid for itself just in back-pain savings.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Agreed, I got the PC 7424, and the thing has very little learning curve. It brought my '93 Honda Civic's paint back to new after never having waxed or polished the car. Of course, this was after I went over it with lots of clay.

Appreciate 0