E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Getting off baked-on brake dust?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-06-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
bmwexecutive
Banned
 
bmwexecutive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,453
iTrader: (4)

Getting off baked-on brake dust?

What do you guys recommend I use? My front right wheel had some serious brake dust baked into one-half side of it and I used a Zaino clay bar and managed to get 3/4 of the baked-in brake dust out but what should I use to eliminate it completely?
bmwexecutive is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
kobechrome
Captain
 
kobechrome's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashburn, VA

Posts: 700
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
What do you guys recommend I use? My front right wheel had some serious brake dust baked into one-half side of it and I used a Zaino clay bar and managed to get 3/4 of the baked-in brake dust out but what should I use to eliminate it completely?
same question. my zaino claybar only removed about 1/2 of mine and I still see some black specks and it bothers the heck out of me.
__________________
kobechrome is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
ward
Major General
 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

Posts: 6,162
iTrader: (0)

claybar should never touch your wheels

brake dust should come off easily with a wet rag or sponge.

if it doesn't wipe of easily it's not brake dust
ward is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2006, 11:50 PM   #4
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

Use Poorboy's Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2006, 11:51 PM   #5
bmwexecutive
Banned
 
bmwexecutive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,453
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
claybar should never touch your wheels

brake dust should come off easily with a wet rag or sponge.

if it doesn't wipe of easily it's not brake dust
Why should a claybar never touch the wheels?

If it's not brake dust, what is it?
bmwexecutive is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #6
ward
Major General
 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

Posts: 6,162
iTrader: (0)

i've never even heard of that use of a claybar,


AFIK, it's only for cleaning off impurities from your paint.

I bet if you try a wet rag or sponge it'll work a ton better and not ruin your claybar.


after filling your clay with brakedust I certainly hope it's never going near your paint again........
ward is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2006, 11:55 PM   #7
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
i've never even heard of that use of a claybar,


AFIK, it's only for cleaning off impurities from your paint.

I bet if you try a wet rag or sponge it'll work a ton better and not ruin your claybar.


after filling your clay with brakedust I certainly hope it's never going near your paint again........
You can use used claybar on the wheels.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2006, 11:56 PM   #8
bmwexecutive
Banned
 
bmwexecutive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,453
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
i've never even heard of that use of a claybar,


AFIK, it's only for cleaning off impurities from your paint.

I bet if you try a wet rag or sponge it'll work a ton better and not ruin your claybar.


after filling your clay with brakedust I certainly hope it's never going near your paint again........
Come on, you really don't think I tried a wet MF cloth first? I even have a special MF Scrubbing Cloth that was only able to get a little bit of it off. Before I spent an hour on the wheel (yeah it took a long freakin time) you could see it standing up looking at the wheel. Now in order to see it you have to be within a foot of it but I still want to get the rest of the crap off of there.
bmwexecutive is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #9
bmwexecutive
Banned
 
bmwexecutive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,453
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
You can use used claybar on the wheels.
Not a new claybar?
bmwexecutive is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #10
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
Not a new claybar?
That'd be a waste.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2006, 11:58 PM   #11
ward
Major General
 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

Posts: 6,162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
You can use used claybar on the wheels.
I can use claybar in the shower too, doesn't mean it's a good idea


and if you use it on wheels, you'd damn well have a separate one for your paint


really, why not try the easy way first?

it does help if you clean the wheels every couple of weeks too
ward is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2006, 11:59 PM   #12
ward
Major General
 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

Posts: 6,162
iTrader: (0)

wipe off with a wet towel on a wet wheel

brake dust comes off really easy
ward is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2006, 11:59 PM   #13
bmwexecutive
Banned
 
bmwexecutive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,453
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
That'd be a waste.
Yeah, well I obviously wasted one clay bar then because I ordered the thing specifically for my wheel problem and didn't realize I could have cut the thing in half and saved 50% of it before I went to work. Whatever. Live and learn I guess.
bmwexecutive is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2006, 12:00 AM   #14
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
Yeah, well I obviously wasted one clay bar then because I ordered the thing specifically for my wheel problem and didn't realize I could have cut the thing in half and saved 50% of it before I went to work. Whatever. Live and learn I guess.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #15
bmwexecutive
Banned
 
bmwexecutive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,453
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
wipe off with a wet towel on a wet wheel

brake dust comes off really easy
This isn't that kind of brake dust.

It's the kind that you almost literally have to take a jack hammer to in order to get off. Well, not really, but it's pretty damn baked on. I know something can get it off though. Maybe some 3M Rubbing Compound? Would that be safe on the wheel's clear coat? I get my kit of spot buffers tomorrow so I'll probably try that and some polish or something. Then if that doesn't work I'll move on a gradient to some more abrasive stuff. At the very worst I'll have my wheel refinisher come over, wet sand the wheel and then put a new clear coat on.
bmwexecutive is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #16
bmwexecutive
Banned
 
bmwexecutive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,453
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Who you laughing at shimshimhada
bmwexecutive is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2006, 12:06 AM   #17
rchanou
Private First Class
 
rchanou's Avatar
 
Drives: 325i Jet Black
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA

Posts: 186
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to rchanou
rchanou is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2006, 12:07 AM   #18
ward
Major General
 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

Posts: 6,162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwexecutive
This isn't that kind of brake dust.

It's the kind that you almost literally have to take a jack hammer to in order to get off. Well, not really, but it's pretty damn baked on. I know something can get it off though. Maybe some 3M Rubbing Compound? Would that be safe on the wheel's clear coat? I get my kit of spot buffers tomorrow so I'll probably try that and some polish or something. Then if that doesn't work I'll move on a gradient to some more abrasive stuff. At the very worst I'll have my wheel refinisher come over, wet sand the wheel and then put a new clear coat on.

must be road tar or something, brake dust should just wipe off

I've gotten some spots of dark stuff from time to time, but if it's that tough to remove it's not brake dust

really though, wet sanding and refinishing would cost as much as buying a new wheel
ward is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #19
bmwexecutive
Banned
 
bmwexecutive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,453
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
really though, wet sanding and refinishing would cost as much as buying a new wheel
What are you smokin'?

The guy I use is the person my BMW dealership recommends and charges $70 per wheel. When I slide off the road and ran into that tree log two weeks ago you think I got my wheels replaced? Hell no. I got both wheels fixed to brand new condition in just over an hour for $140 total. So if I had him come out it'd cost me $70.

BTW: Road tar could be a possibility.
bmwexecutive is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2006, 12:16 AM   #20
ward
Major General
 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

Posts: 6,162
iTrader: (0)

ooh, I forgot about your wheels being repaired


a non factory finish may not be as easy to clean, or maybe the people that fixed your wheels painted in some brake dust under the clear coat????

is that possible?
ward is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #21
bmwexecutive
Banned
 
bmwexecutive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,453
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
a non factory finish may not be as easy to clean, or maybe the people that fixed your wheels painted in some brake dust under the clear coat????

is that possible?
I was thinking of that but then why would it have come 75% of the way off with the clay bar? Wouldn't nothing of come off if it was under a clear coat?
bmwexecutive is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2006, 12:25 AM   #22
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

I know what you're talking about though, my dad's 10 year old beater has baked in brake dust...but that's because he NEVER washed the wheels. I fear for his Boxster's life.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST