E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help! Oil Leak on 335i (w/ pictures)

03-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #23
bmw-hoya
Captain

Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
That's most likely coming from the mechatronics sealing sleeve on the back of the transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnshinsa View Post
I had the same problem. Turns out it was the transmission sleeve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
trans pan/mechatronics sleeve is leaking...
Damn, these guys know what they're talking about! The problem was the transmission pan and sealing sleeve, which the dealership replaced. For anyone that cares, below is the invoice - all under warranty, or course!

I tried to get upgraded to Progman v32, but they weren't hearing it! Oh well, at least I tried (under the TSB, I'm not entitled to it, until I have a scheduled maintenance).

THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT RESPONDED!
Attached Images

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
bmw-hoya is offline   United_States
      03-17-2009, 02:46 AM   #24
methodtim
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i

Garage List
Awesome. glad it all worked out.

09 E90 335i |Monaco Blue |Step|ZPP|ZSP|ZCW | L7 | iPod | CA
methodtim is offline   Liechtenstein
      03-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #25
skimmilk20
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 328i 6 spd MT

I love BMW's warranty and maintenance...

It seems as though many new owners (less than 2 yrs) have run into some sort of issue where their warranty was exercised...really happy we have it because the truth of the matter is...

BMW's are expensive to maintain... great engines... great driving performance... but from my limited experience (yet lots of reading... started reading e90 forum 1 yr before I bought the car, b/c I knew at that point... I NEEDED A BMW), you can't trust german cars to "last forever" the way you can for a Honda or Toyota

I guess that is the fundamental trade off though right? Pay to play?
      03-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #26
bruff

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan Sport+Prem AT

The same thing happened to me. My car had ~38k miles on it. I noticed a small puddle after it sat for a week while I was out of town.

Our trans fluid looks just like oil. Not red tinted like the old days!

It is disappointing that there is no way for the owner to check trans fluid level. BMW claims "sealed for life" but they seem to be having a bit of trouble with the seal...
      03-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #27
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-hoya View Post
Damn, these guys know what they're talking about! The problem was the transmission pan and sealing sleeve, which the dealership replaced. For anyone that cares, below is the invoice - all under warranty, or course!

I tried to get upgraded to Progman v32, but they weren't hearing it! Oh well, at least I tried (under the TSB, I'm not entitled to it, until I have a scheduled maintenance).

Thanks for posting the listing of the repair. Now hope they got it sorted out. Usually it is easier to find things that are faulty, but it's harder to figure out what made them go wrong.
      03-18-2009, 04:00 AM   #28
bmw-hoya
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
The same thing happened to me. My car had ~38k miles on it. I noticed a small puddle after it sat for a week while I was out of town.

Our trans fluid looks just like oil. Not red tinted like the old days!

It is disappointing that there is no way for the owner to check trans fluid level. BMW claims "sealed for life" but they seem to be having a bit of trouble with the seal...
Yeah, the fact that the oil wasn't red-tinted threw me for a loop, too.

Mine started to leak after having sat for a few days, too. I wonder if it has to do with them adding too much oil, then when it all settles after a few days of not driving the car, it has nowhere else to go but to leak out? That's probably too simple-minded of me, but the fact that both our leaks happened during periods of activity has to mean something.

Anyway, I'm just glad it was nothing serious. My SA spotted it as a transmission leak right away (I brought the pictures). She was like, "oh, that's an easy fix!"

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
      03-18-2009, 04:38 AM   #29
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmilk20 View Post

I guess that is the fundamental trade off though right? Pay to play?
Glad everything worked out. THat's unfortunate, think about it. BMW wants $5k combined for extending the warranty and maint to 6/100k. I have a Nissan at 175k now. There has never been a major repair on it except the CV's. So paying for any sort of extended warranty/maint would have had a $0 value on a Nissan. Imagine that BMW can offer such packages and actually get people to pay for them.

I guess we simply love the way these BMW's drive, and we put up with a lot besides cost in doing so...
      04-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #30
nospleeny
Captain

Drives: 2012 528xi

Quote:
Yeah, the fact that the oil wasn't red-tinted threw me for a loop, too.

Mine started to leak after having sat for a few days, too. I wonder if it has to do with them adding too much oil, then when it all settles after a few days of not driving the car, it has nowhere else to go but to leak out? That's probably too simple-minded of me, but the fact that both our leaks happened during periods of activity has to mean something.

Anyway, I'm just glad it was nothing serious. My SA spotted it as a transmission leak right away (I brought the pictures). She was like, "oh, that's an easy fix!"
How long did it take to fix???
      04-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #31
SoCalTech
Captain

Drives: Not a BMW yet...

Should be in the shop for less than a day.
SoCalTech is offline   United_States
      04-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #32
bmw-hoya
Captain

Quote:
Should be in the shop for less than a day.
Yeah, I took it in and got it back the same day.

04-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #33
nospleeny
Captain

Nice. I think I'm having the same problem. Ironically... mine is an 08 January build too! E92 335xi
      04-09-2009, 07:43 PM   #34
volkswackin
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: too broke for a BMW

yea its a common deal...we see them all the time
volkswackin is offline   United_States
      04-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #35
bmw-hoya
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospleeny View Post
Nice. I think I'm having the same problem. Ironically... mine is an 08 January build too! E92 335xi
BFF! Haha, j/k. Hope it's nothing more serious. E.

05-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #36
nospleeny
Captain

Holy shit... you're right! Everybody in here knows what they're talking about.

I had it brought in for a 2nd time since they never found it the first time. After more inspection, they found it was the transmission sealing sleeve so they replaced it.

I see 24-11-7-571-235 for the Gasket replacement. And 24-34-7-588-725 for the Seal Sleeve. And the transmission Oil.

I know who to trust when I have a problem... this board! Damn.. I'm still in awe.

Even without pictures, you guys knew what was wrong. LOL!
      05-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #37
Bimmer335i
Major

Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

Quote:

Hey, don't mean to hijack your thread but why were you trying to get Progman v32? I'm assuming that v32 would upgrade your functionality of the car's various electronic or mechanical systems? And do know how to tell whether or not you have v32 on your car? I have about 5K miles left before my next scheduled maint. and I want to be able to ask BMW for v32. Thanks!
      07-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #38
Neon21db
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 328xi coupe

Quote:
That's most likely coming from the mechatronics sealing sleeve on the back of the transmission.
Where is this located? On the bottom of the car near the engine oil change valve? I took my car to a mechanic to have the engine oil changed and they couldn't find the valve and started to unscrew the bottom of my car. I had to tell them where it was located. I hope they didnt mess anything up cause today i got a transmission error message when i started the car up. but then it went away and never came back. im a little worried.
Neon21db is offline   United_States
      10-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #39
Boxster

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan w/SportPck

Hmm.. apparently today when my dad took his 2007 335i out - the first time in 5 days as he was out of town, there was a fairly large puddle of oil under the car. Clear fluid, perhaps a bit yellowish, slippery, not a strong smell, maybe a 1/4 cup or so in all, under the middle of the car -probably in line with the side mirrors.

He phoned the local BMW dealer and it couldn't get through to service for 45 minutes so in the end drove it in (no warnings on dash). By that time all the technicians has gone home for the day so the best they could do was book him an appointment.. for November 5th!
      10-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #40
TiAg335i
Trance Life

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

i just got my car back from this same problem...

it's a defective transmission oil pan gasket...the oil was a dark color though, almost a very dark red, and the oil was thin.
TiAg335i is offline   United_States
      12-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #41
pderby

Drives: 335xi

Another leaking transmission seal 2008 335xi

Was out of town for 5 days. Returned and found a small puddle of golden oil running out on the garage floor by the front passenger door. Found this thread which lowered my anxiety a lot. Thanks to those above that posted! Took the car (2008 335xi sedan, 17,294 miles, built October 2007) to the dealer. Car was dropped off in the morning and ready at the end of the day.

Attached are the details of the diagnosis/fix from the dealer.
Attached Images

12-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #42
daygo1904
Private First Class

Drives: E92 328i 2007

is this a re-call or under warrenty? i think i have the same problem but my warrenty expired! dam i have a feeling im assed out.
daygo1904 is offline   United_States
      12-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #43
Php
Captain

Drives: CaymanS, used to be e92 335

could be the oil pan. The leak for those are very common as far as I know it. Dealer will replace it.
Php is offline   United_States
      12-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #44
bmw6953
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 325i

Its most likely the seeling sleeve. Im having the same issue on my 325i right now. I guess its a real common problem. Since the seeling sleeve is located at the rear of the transmission it drips down making you think its the pan gasket, but both have to be replacd in order to fix the seeling sleeve. I Think its a good a idea to replace both since they will both leak eventually.