E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > 2009 Most Admired Car Companies: BMW TOPS!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
BForbes
Moderator
BForbes's Avatar
Bahamas
164
Rep
4,243
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation 2009 Most Admired Car Companies: BMW TOPS!

Fortune Magazine tells us the "Worlds" Most admired car companies.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...hots/6719.html



The Top Seven:

1. BMW

2. Toyota Motor Company

3. Honda Motor Company

4. Volkswagen AG

5. Nissan AG

6. Daimler

7. General Motors


Woohoo, BMW sure keeps some strange company. I think it will continued for years to come; especially b/c of the new products coming.
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
canucklion's Avatar
Canada
110
Rep
10,454
Posts

 
Drives: circles around you
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (9)

I put little value in that list where GM ranks higher than Hyundai when Hyundai is in a much better situation than GM is in right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
Fortune Magazine tells us the "Worlds" Most admired car companies.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...hots/6719.html



The Top Seven:

1. BMW

2. Toyota Motor Company

3. Honda Motor Company

4. Volkswagen AG

5. Nissan AG

6. Daimler

7. General Motors


Woohoo, BMW sure keeps some strange company. I think it will continued for years to come; especially b/c of the new products coming.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
methodtim
Brigadier General
methodtim's Avatar
Liechtenstein
41
Rep
3,636
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Darkness there, and nothing more

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
I put little value in that list where GM ranks higher than Hyundai when Hyundai is in a much better situation than GM is in right now.
Exactly what I was thinking. GM is in such shambles, how can it be in any conversation regarding being admired?
__________________

09 E90 335i |Monaco Blue |Step|ZPP|ZSP|ZCW | L7 | iPod | CA
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
BForbes
Moderator
BForbes's Avatar
Bahamas
164
Rep
4,243
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Such negativity...tisk tisk..lol GM might be in shambles but they are putting across incredible effort. They are actually making cars that enthusiasts want to drive. Too bad thats not enough to save the company. They are also making strides in other areas as well. Most of their cars are now topping mpgs in their segment, the interiors are vastly improved. My buddy's 08 Malibu is almost as quiet and smooth as the E350 I drove. If you look at how they distributed the points, it does seem accurate IMO, at least.
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
w00kiec00kie
Private First Class
1
Rep
132
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E90 328i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (2)

GM is not in shambles because they make bad cars...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Yearofthe1's Avatar
10
Rep
691
Posts

 
Drives: VFR1200F
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: N. Va.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00kiec00kie View Post
GM is not in shambles because they make bad cars...
You mean the UAW factory floor sweepers making $45/hr has something to do with it? Why shouldn't a blue collar worker make three times more than his Japanese counterpart, and more than me for that matter!?! I mean, I only have a graduate degree!

__________________
135i Montego Blue, Grey Boston Leather, MT, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navi, Premium Sound, Heated Seats, iPod.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Draman
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
214
Posts

 
Drives: e93 335i, S5
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

GM over Ford is surprising to me
__________________
E93 Sapphire Black / Coral Red
Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|Nav|PDC|Active Steering|Sirius|Comfort Access

Audi S5 Ibis White / Tuscan Brown
Carbon Atlas|Audi Drive Select|Nav|B&O|Tech Package
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
NewSong's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,468
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
You mean the UAW factory floor sweepers making $45/hr has something to do with it? Why shouldn't a blue collar worker make three times more than his Japanese counterpart, and more than me for that matter!?! I mean, I only have a graduate degree!

NAIL on the head.

UAW has bled GM dry. I say they file for Chapter 11 right now, reorganize, and come back leaner, but stronger.
__________________
He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
24
Rep
2,015
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
NAIL on the head.

UAW has bled GM dry. I say they file for Chapter 11 right now, reorganize, and come back leaner, but stronger.
The only chance the American automakers have to make decent vehicles IMHO...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Yearofthe1's Avatar
10
Rep
691
Posts

 
Drives: VFR1200F
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: N. Va.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
The only chance the American automakers have to make decent vehicles IMHO...
Again, that isn't the primary problem. Look at the JD Power Assoc reports on the HUGE gains Ford has made in the quality department. Have you been inside a non-fleet Ford in the last 2 years. They are very well put together, their fit and finish has come light years from where it was even 5 years ago. However, you CANNOT argue against the fact that UAW members make 3 TIMES MORE than their Japanese counterparts. For god's sake, these are blue collar workers! Now, I'm not at all saying they don't work hard, but blue collar is blue collar, and you shouldn't expect to make $90,000 per year as a blue collar worker. I'm not saying it can't be done. I know a few electricians, plumbers, and mechanics that make close to six fig's, but come on, these salaries cannot be the expected norm if US auto companies are to survive.

The UAW will kill the US auto companies if they don't accept reality.
__________________
135i Montego Blue, Grey Boston Leather, MT, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navi, Premium Sound, Heated Seats, iPod.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #11
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
NewSong's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,468
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

rcracer_tx really doesn't know much about the auto industry.
__________________
He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #12
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
24
Rep
2,015
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
rcracer_tx really doesn't know much about the auto industry.
Actually done a great deal of research on it, and have driven many of the new cars in the american fleet when shopping for my newest car.... I was actually going to buy a new C6 until I drove it...They still have a ways to go to catch up with the japanese/Euro market in the U.S.

That being said, I am tired of paying tax dollars to these shitty companies... They need a chapter 11 bankruptcy to get out of the ridiculous control the UAW has over the automakers, and actually be a viable competitir in the market without the U.S. citizens.

BTW, I was agreeing with you NewSong, so your arguing against yourself if you are disagreeing with me
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #13
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
24
Rep
2,015
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
Again, that isn't the primary problem. Look at the JD Power Assoc reports on the HUGE gains Ford has made in the quality department. Have you been inside a non-fleet Ford in the last 2 years. They are very well put together, their fit and finish has come light years from where it was even 5 years ago. However, you CANNOT argue against the fact that UAW members make 3 TIMES MORE than their Japanese counterparts. For god's sake, these are blue collar workers! Now, I'm not at all saying they don't work hard, but blue collar is blue collar, and you shouldn't expect to make $90,000 per year as a blue collar worker. I'm not saying it can't be done. I know a few electricians, plumbers, and mechanics that make close to six fig's, but come on, these salaries cannot be the expected norm if US auto companies are to survive.

The UAW will kill the US auto companies if they don't accept reality.
Exactly my point... The more you have to spend on workers compared to the competition, the less you can put into design and better parts in the vehicle. The result is an inferior car for the money, and that is what the UAW has caused.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #14
Manny212
Captain
Manny212's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
659
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Manny212
I haven't really looked much into GM lately but I have been in a couple of new Fords and i was actually really surprised. I was not expecting to see quality stuff coming from Ford but their efforts have certainly increased tremendously. The new Taurus actually looks really good. They also have the hybrids coming out which are promising.
__________________

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 02:49 AM   #15
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
12,127
Posts

 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
Actually done a great deal of research on it, and have driven many of the new cars in the american fleet when shopping for my newest car.... I was actually going to buy a new C6 until I drove it...They still have a ways to go to catch up with the japanese/Euro market in the U.S.

That being said, I am tired of paying tax dollars to these shitty companies... They need a chapter 11 bankruptcy to get out of the ridiculous control the UAW has over the automakers, and actually be a viable competitir in the market without the U.S. citizens.

BTW, I was agreeing with you NewSong, so your arguing against yourself if you are disagreeing with me
+1
the US auto makers need to file bankruptcy to rebuild their whole management structure and get out the UAW's grasp... this is pulling them down ...
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 03:21 AM   #16
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
NewSong's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,468
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post

BTW, I was agreeing with you NewSong, so your arguing against yourself if you are disagreeing with me
America already makes awesome vehicles.

UAW is bleeding our domestic industry dry.

Two different issues.
__________________
He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 03:46 AM   #17
Heinzftw
Major
Heinzftw's Avatar
41
Rep
1,202
Posts

 
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
America already makes awesome vehicles.

UAW is bleeding our domestic industry dry.

Two different issues.
+1 Unions CAN be a good thing. Other times not so much.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
saw you comment and i'd lay on my bed and cry, then i put some Yulio Iglesias music, no more problem.


-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #18
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
24
Rep
2,015
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
America already makes awesome vehicles.

UAW is bleeding our domestic industry dry.

Two different issues.
Look at the next post in the thread to see the reason the UAW is causing cars to be less competitive

Last edited by rcracer_tx; 03-22-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
NewSong's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,468
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
Look at the next post in the thread to see the reason the UAW is cuasing cars to be less competitive
Oh, you're from Texas.

Your post make a lot more sense now.
__________________
He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #20
BForbes
Moderator
BForbes's Avatar
Bahamas
164
Rep
4,243
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

All this Bankruptcy talk is KILLING the residuals as I predicted months ago to my Detroit buddies:


http://www.motorauthority.com/bankru...-chrysler.html
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #21
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
24
Rep
2,015
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
Oh, you're from Texas.

Your post make a lot more sense now.
What does location have to do with anything?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #22
HIPSI
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
241
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Jun 2008

iTrader: (0)

Texas = Open shop, right to work state. Union optional, unlike many others. What a concept!
__________________
08 135 Coupe SGM/Terra
15 Porsche Macan S- Family Hauler

Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST