E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Super Unleaded V Unleaded

03-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #23
AlanQS
Colonel

Drives: 320d SE Coupe

Garage List
I suspect the whole thing is a load of tosh - but I'm willing to experiment and be convinced - one way or the other.
      03-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #24
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I suspect the whole thing is a load of tosh - but I'm willing to experiment and be convinced - one way or the other.
Do you mean specifically with the diesel fuel Alan?

The inside of my filler cap states 98 RON but apparently it will run on lower octane but been told it will 'pink'. The Cayman definately ran better on 98 RON but my 330i in all honesty, I never noticed any difference, so didn't bother.
beemerbird is offline   England
      03-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #25
SixDegrees
Lieutenant

Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
Not ran the BMW the high power D, but have had cars in the past (R32) which required 98RON and the drop to 95RON when no 98 was available was noticeable.

Also tried the V-Power D in the GT TDi and it too was a noticeable difference around 3500+ rmps but given that the car ran out at 4500 then it was a short lived difference.

With the 320D I fill up and Morrisons or Shell (I have a hate for BP after I made 2 vag cars poorly; one diesel the other petrol) and have found no noticeable difference between supermarket fuel and branded fuel when it comes to the normal stuff.

Might try a tank for a V-Power Diesel if the mood takes me.

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
      03-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #26
AlanQS
Colonel

Drives: 320d SE Coupe

Garage List
Helen, yes. The fancy diesel at my local Shell station. I'll try it whilst squirming when I see the "thanks sucker" price tag on it. I expect it to make not a blind bit of difference but I will be honest if it seems to improve the car.

In fact, the short journeys I make just now are hardly conducive to noticing any improvements either in mpg, performance or smoothness but if I fill up between now and the next Northern meet, I should expect to notice a difference (if there is one) by the time I get to Bradford on 25th April.

Last edited by AlanQS; 03-16-2009 at 08:06 PM.
AlanQS is offline   Scotland
      03-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #27
Real Thing
Lieutenant

Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + A45 AMG

Ran most of my Cars on a about 1 fill up on Unleaded to about 3 Super not noticed much difference although when I had the EVO X it said in the Handbook only 98 RON or above should be used and if a lower grade is used continuously your warranty will be invalid (Was told it would run like a pig with 95 RON but never tried it)
      03-17-2009, 02:17 AM   #28
TMP
Colonel

Drives: M135i

I only ever ran my Impreza on Shell V power - as was told if I dropped to 95, it would take the ECU about two tanks to adapt back to premium.

Maybe need a new thread for diesel, as while I understand about RON and premium UL, I have no clue about the premium black stuff
      03-17-2009, 03:30 AM   #29
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
What is the difference between the two? I use super unleaded most of the time because apparently it is is better

For you who know, let me know what I should be using more often

ChYeah!
Top Gear (the old one) or fifth gear did a story on this some years ago.

They ran 3 different cars on unleaded and super unleaded then dyno'd them to see if there were any actual performance differences.

From memory the cars were:

Bog standard Focus
Golf GTi
Subaru Imprezza

They found that super unleaded made no difference at all in 'normal' cars, but in more powerful cars it improved economy and bhp

The more powerful the car was to start with the greater the improvement.

I think the Scooby got an extra 30bhp just from the super unleaded.
      03-17-2009, 03:51 AM   #30
jjbirch
Banned

Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
i must say down here in the south-west most of the shell garages have gone, used to be lots years ago
      03-17-2009, 05:11 AM   #31
creepy coupe
Major General

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
The old 95-99 ron debate, I have to say mine prefers Tesco 99 oct to all the others, smoother idle and better pick up from low engine speeds. Oh and it's a bit cheaper.
      03-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #32
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....

Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Top Gear (the old one) or fifth gear did a story on this some years ago.

They ran 3 different cars on unleaded and super unleaded then dyno'd them to see if there were any actual performance differences.

From memory the cars were:

Bog standard Focus
Golf GTi
Subaru Imprezza

They found that super unleaded made no difference at all in 'normal' cars, but in more powerful cars it improved economy and bhp

The more powerful the car was to start with the greater the improvement.

I think the Scooby got an extra 30bhp just from the super unleaded.
Yep, I remember this also and confirms my thoughts.

You will prob find the Scooby lost 30 horses by running on the 95RON and returned to 'normal' running on the recommended fuel. The engine will retard the timing etc slightly to accept the lower grade fuel and reduce power output accordingly. The high revving Jap cars seem to crave high octane fuel
M3-FAST is offline   England
      03-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #33
MOB
Major

Drives: Alpine White 118d M Sport

I had a remapped Volvo S60 D5 Diesel - (almost) always run on BP Ultimate.

Had to put normal derv in it once - my wife drove it and said it felt like there was something wrong with it..........next tankful of Ultimate it was fine.

Try the next couple of tankfuls with V Power or BP Ultimate - it is noticeable IMO
      08-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #34
seanblee
Captain

Drives: E92 335i SE

Send a message via MSN to seanblee
Sorry for the thread revival, but...

When I bought my 335i a few months ago, I ran it exclusively on Tesco 99RON 'Super' unleaded. Whilst on holiday a few weeks back, I wasn't able to find a Tesco, so filled up with regular bog-standard unleaded. I've noticed absolutely no difference to either performance or economy, and it's had 3 tanks of regular through it now, so I'm not sure what to think! Does super really make any difference?

FWIW, my fuel filler cap states '95-98 RON', so technically, 99RON is out of spec anyway according to that...
seanblee is offline   United Kingdom
      08-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #35
Steve A
Brigadier General

Drives: too much

one of the selling points to Vpower is that it cleans the internal of the engine, thats why i used it in the M6 but i didnt use it every tank maybe 1 in 3 tanks and to be fair nevewr noticed any difference on the road. It was still fast as fuck..

but so far i've only used some sort of superunleaded in the rs4, i use what is available at the time.
      08-11-2009, 02:42 AM   #36
Hoops
Brigadier General

Drives: Merc E350 Sport Estate (265)

Garage List
Evolve ran some interesting tests on unleaded and super-unleaded and cars were definitely putting out better performance figures when run on super. The best results came from Shell V-power. I have always put Shell V-power in all my cars but its more force of habit than anything else. The only times ive definitely noticed a huge detriment to using standard unleaded over super is in my bikes - they pink like mad and run rough as hell under full load and are noticeably down on power. Shame we are so royally buggered on the cost of our fuel - absolute joke and i see its going up AGAIN!!
      08-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #37
Snooky
Major

Drives: Q5 S Line Plus; 208 Gti

I always filled my olf MK V Gti with Super as directed except once when I was back home in Ireland where only standard juice was available and I noticed a difference.

I notice absolutely no difference in the 335i and just put the ordinary unleaded in now. As mentioned on another thread, I have averaged 27mpg since new (17 months/15,000 miles) so it hasn't obviously hampered mpg. Performance always feels fantastic too.
      08-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #38
Oli
Campervan man

Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
one of the selling points to Vpower is that it cleans the internal of the engine, thats why i used it in the M6 but i didnt use it every tank maybe 1 in 3 tanks and to be fair nevewr noticed any difference on the road. It was still fast as fuck..

but so far i've only used some sort of superunleaded in the rs4, i use what is available at the time.
FSI engines need super unleaded for cleaning purposes etc. They clog up at the best of times......
      08-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #39
beemerbird
Major General

Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
I use Shell V power all the time but that aside when I test drove the M3 the salesman was saying that the M3 can run on 95 octane (yeah I knew that mate), but every fourth tank fill it was best to fill up with the super stuff.

What are the M3 owners on here using out of interest?
beemerbird is offline   England
      08-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #40
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Super denzil has a higher cetane rating, Nuff said.
      08-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #41
rogerxp
Major General

Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I now put bog standard sh!te in my cars. I used to always put super-stuff in but couldn't tell the difference until I stopped using it. I noticed the car (350Z at the time) was a little more sluggish when I reverted to normal unleaded. Once the super stuff reached about 114p (about 5 yrs ago) I reached my limited and reverted to the cheap stuff. Not used the expensive stuff since and don't miss it to be honest. I'll never keep a car long enough to consider its long term benefits.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
rogerxp is offline   United Kingdom
      08-13-2009, 04:19 AM   #42
335diesel
Brigadier General

Drives: 335d Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
i must say down here in the south-west most of the shell garages have gone, used to be lots years ago
Two very near me (nr Truro) - one less than two miles away. Handy when the boat fuel tanks need filling!

I'm not convinced by it all so use normal fuel.

E91 335d SE Touring

Also Land Rover Puma Defender 110 XS station wagon
335diesel is offline   United Kingdom