E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E90 ECU Software Available

Closed Thread

07-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #45
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Car

I am quite skeptical about these claims, but will wait to see the dyno results...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #46
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: V-Power

Honda tuning is in no way comparable to BMW tuning.. sadly (in terms of gains at least)

22hp from a chip is laughable. If you know its making 22hp more, then you have already dyno'ed it. If you had dyno'ed it, then you would have posted a graph, so at least it would lend SOME credibility.

I understand the rationale, BMWs since VANOS have had variable cam timing, now we are adding variable lift with Valvetronic. So in theory we are given something new to work with. However, BMW already has extracted 30hp out of the same 3L of the E46 with this new technology, so saying there is 22hp more in there is a bit of a stretch.

BMW NA tuning history has shown that, with each new motor and tech, there is LESS room for gains with software.
      07-14-2006, 09:58 AM   #47
Mackskibum
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E60 535xi

Interesting- all the naysayers on this topic. IMHO, 22HP from remap is very possible on a 325 E90- we all know that BMW detuned the engine for this series via software and intake. If you notice a 22hp gain on the 325 is just over half of the difference between the 325 and 330. Now, these kind of gains on the 330 may be tough with just software changes- it would seen to me that 255HP NA would be close to optimal on the 3.0.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #48
pauly1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: Nikes

I completely agree with you that stating a 22hp increase would certainly require a dyno to verify, hence, post the results! This would lead to me to believe that this particular chip could be grounds for waving the BS flag.

All I was saying is that while this particular company might not have done it, others willing to invest significant amounts of R&D, could. I don't how aggressive BMW is with their ignition timing, cam angle, and fuel maps, they might not tune for optimum air /fuel, etc.

We would have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #49
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 328i

Garage List
07 e90 335  [0.00]
07 335  [0.00]
06 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackskibum
Interesting- all the naysayers on this topic. IMHO, 22HP from remap is very possible on a 325 E90- we all know that BMW detuned the engine for this series via software and intake. If you notice a 22hp gain on the 325 is just over half of the difference between the 325 and 330. Now, these kind of gains on the 330 may be tough with just software changes- it would seen to me that 255HP NA would be close to optimal on the 3.0.

Wow someone that actually realized what the hells going on!
I feel the same way..The 325 is capable of being a 330! its the same engine just detuned!!
      07-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #50
creativeautoworks
United_States
Rep

Drives: Ibis White 2007 Audi A4 S-Line

Send a message via AIM to creativeautoworks
Just got in this morning, and will do my best to get back to everyone, just a little tidbit on the EvoTech Software.

EvoTech writes the software for all RENNtech Mercedes products, which most know is a very very well known Mercedes tuner. For all you out of state E90 owners, this ECU flash can be done at most if not all RENNtech dealers with the proper equipment or by sending us you’re ECU.

ArtZ 330, I don’t know if you think that I just pulled this software out of my ass, and decided to just post it for kicks and giggles, but the gains are provided from the manufacture, the reason why we are dynoing is to provide actual gains verse the manufactured claims.

I am chiming in here, because we represent EVOtech and will stand behind them again any attacks, such as I’m sure you would do as well.

I have no doubt that you will gain from this product as RENNtech would not release a sub par product, without tuning and testing.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #51
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 328i

Garage List
07 e90 335  [0.00]
07 335  [0.00]
06 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeautoworks

ArtZ 330, I donít know if you think that I just pulled this software out of my ass, and decided to just post it for kicks and giggles, but the gains are provided from the manufacture, the reason why we are dynoing is to provide actual gains verse the manufactured claims.
lololol...
      07-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #52
Hunter399
Major General
Rep

Drives: F30 335i

So if I went to a renntech dealer in Houston, I could do the retune there?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #53
creativeautoworks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWL
Hahhha....... another trip to SD for me?? .....

Do I have to have my car there to do the ECU software?? Or I can just bring the ECU there??
You can either bring the car, or just the ECU, whichever is easiest for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
No need to throw insults back and forth folks, the dynos will speak for themselves.
Yes this is the reason why we are dynoing.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #54
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep

Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Send a message via AIM to ScBlacksunshine
Please keep us updated, sounds interesting, will this be detectable by dealer, how's the reliability factor?

P.S. we should make this thread sticky
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 11:11 AM   #55
creativeautoworks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399
So if I went to a renntech dealer in Houston, I could do the retune there?

Yes you should, also here is the evotech website, www.evotechusa.com

If you do a search on them you can see reviews from E46, M3 forum, and yes even mini.

I think this is a great product for you guys, and I know most of you are starving for power... My goal has been and always will be to bring you guys some of the best products out there to achieve this

Sorry, also about the concern with the Dealership reflash, we all have and will provide a free reflash if this we're to happen as long as you give us the paperwork saying that your ECU was reflashed from the dealer.

In terms of detectability, the ECU is a complete reflash, not taking apart the ECU to reprogram, it would be very similar to the audi's where the dealer would only know by driving it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 11:17 AM   #56
rchanou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 325i Jet Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to rchanou
for this mod. Can't wait to see dyno results.
      07-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #57
Joe Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeautoworks
Yes you should, also here is the evotech website, www.evotechusa.com
Not to be a ball-buster, but on evotech's website, they show the gains for the M3 chip as zero for HP and TQ, but charge $790 for it!
      07-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #58
SteveMD
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: '12 X5 50i, '11 GTI DSG

Garage List
2012 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bimmer
Not to be a ball-buster, but on evotech's website, they show the gains for the M3 chip as zero for HP and TQ, but charge $790 for it!
Yeah, but I'm sure you get a few tenths from the sticker.
You do get a sticker with it right?
2011 VW GTI/DSG
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #59
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335i Coupe

If you guys are able to do 22hp(?) with NA I want to see what you can do with the 335.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #60
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackskibum
You need to do a little research on the differences between the 330 and 325 and how BMW acheived the Extra power out of the engine to get to 255. No chipping your 325 will do nothing interms of even "almost" as powerful as a 330. There are mechanical differences with in the motor itself, and can not be changed by a simple remap.

and as for this creativeautoworks guy. In the beinging you made it seem "At least to me" as if you were the one remaping these computers. But now since you say. There is another manufacture involved and you are stating what they are saying. Well I am very sorry for coming down on you. Im a man I can addmit my wrongs.

But as for Merc. tuners working on BMW's, thats just amuzing.
and 22hp gains on an engine that is already maxing out its unlikely. Like RichP said, and I stand behind what he says. Every gen. of these cars is getting harder and harder to work with. Just ask the guys at HPF, turbo kit. But no software. Yet. Ive seen rich around on these boards and back in the day on the e46 forums, as I used to own one. He knows what he is talking about.

Evotech software in the beging stages of my MINI modding got me a whole 1.9 HP to the wheels. This was along time ago. Ill search for the dyno results.
      07-14-2006, 01:22 PM   #61
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 330i 6mt

Send a message via AIM to MIKEYMIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalm3
well audi revo chips do +50 and at first i thought they didnt do much but the proved to be true after my friend chipped is A4 2.0 BUT AGAIN DYNO WILL BE DONE NEXT WEEK

Go back and look at my post....

I said I was skeptical about a chip on a N/A engine (naturally aspirated engine).

Turbo cars are a whole different ballgame when it comes to chips.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #62
creativeautoworks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artz 330
You need to do a little research on the differences between the 330 and 325 and how BMW acheived the Extra power out of the engine to get to 255. No chipping your 325 will do nothing interms of even "almost" as powerful as a 330. There are mechanical differences with in the motor itself, and can not be changed by a simple remap.

and as for this creativeautoworks guy. In the beinging you made it seem "At least to me" as if you were the one remaping these computers. But now since you say. There is another manufacture involved and you are stating what they are saying. Well I am very sorry for coming down on you. Im a man I can addmit my wrongs.

But as for Merc. tuners working on BMW's, thats just amuzing.
and 22hp gains on an engine that is already maxing out its unlikely. Like RichP said, and I stand behind what he says. Every gen. of these cars is getting harder and harder to work with. Just ask the guys at HPF, turbo kit. But no software. Yet. Ive seen rich around on these boards and back in the day on the e46 forums, as I used to own one. He knows what he is talking about.

Evotech software in the beging stages of my MINI modding got me a whole 1.9 HP to the wheels. This was along time ago. Ill search for the dyno results.

No hard feelings I assumed you didn't see that Evotech was the manufacture, so no worries, we'll laugh and drink about it one day... as for the mini's thats odd, because alot of the mightly mini guys didnt have any issues and had decent gains with software..

As for a Mercedes tuner working on bmw software, its more like RENNTech is using them for there software not that the benz guys just decided to start branching out... but we'll get the results posted, and we'll have some good discussion on it...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #63
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artz 330
Do you find you have to apologize after mosts of your posts? You certainly are quick to attck and judge (adding to the NJ-stereotype?)...

Anyway, the 325i's engine differs from the 330i's in software and intake manifold. Certainly much of the detuning is from the s/w and 22hp is not overly optimistic for a remapping. 215 hp is certainly a low number for a 3.0 liter engine.

Meanwhile, we'll have to wait and see what else the tuners come out with for the 325i. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but there certainly appears to be much room for growth in that 325i.

Lastly, I do find it suspicious that both the 330i and 325i get the exact same power increases from the chip. Bring on the Dynos!

Thanks for your efforts, creativeautoworks.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #64
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 330i 6mt

Send a message via AIM to MIKEYMIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
Do you find you have to apologize after mosts of your posts? You certainly are quick to attck and judge (adding to the NJ-stereotype?)...

Anyway, the 325i's engine differs from the 330i's in software and intake manifold. Certainly much of the detuning is from the s/w and 22hp is not overly optimistic for a remapping. 215 hp is certainly a low number for a 3.0 liter engine.

Meanwhile, we'll have to wait and see what else the tuners come out with for the 325i. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but there certainly appears to be much room for growth in that 325i.

Lastly, I do find it suspicious that both the 330i and 325i get the exact same power increases from the chip. Bring on the Dynos!

Thanks for your efforts, creativeautoworks.

Couldn't have said it better. Artz, I was quite skeptical of this chip myself, but you don't have to go on a rant all the time.

And yes... I definitely see much more tuning potential in the 325i, not the 330i.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #65
Mackskibum
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E60 535xi

Artz, How much research have you done? What internal engine parts are different? It appears you have an awful lot of knowledge for someone who has so many problems with your other BMW's and Mini's. BTW your profile shows you are all of 21 years old. If that is true, coupled with your extensive mechanical experience you get by taking your vehicles to the dealer, I question the level of expertise you have to make these assumptions.

Here is what I know for a FACT related to the 325 3.0 vs. 330 3.0:

*The ECM part number is the same, software flash is different.
*Fuel injectors are the same
*Intake manifold is different- electronically optimized for various loads and RPM
*engine wiring harness is the same (that means if I has a 3 stage manifold I could plug it right in)
*engine short block is the same (this means all parts in the lower end are the same)
*Cylinder head assembly is the same (this means that the valve timing gear, cams, valves, etc are all the same)
*Valvetronic solenoid valve is the same
*The exhaust is different.
*Throttle housing is the same

I could take my 325XI, reflash the software, add exhaust for the 330xi, and add the 3 stage intake and you think I don't have 255hp by then? What makes you think the reflash wouldn't make a difference by itself?

Do you really believe that BMW would build an engine with different internal parts for the US only in the 325 only? The 2.5 is not available as yet in the current E90, but will be next year. Then the 325 will be a true 325, not a 330 in disguise. BMW had a marketing problem since they couldn't get a 2.5 into the US for the introduction. 325 is less expensive. How do they maintain the product? Stuff an existing engine in it, deduct 40 hp and sell it for less money.

It is very common for manufacturers to tune their engines differently for different applications.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #66
shragon
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i SG Sedan

Q: will you lose the new evotech performance software if you take your car to the dealer for a bmw software update?