E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E90 ECU Software Available



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #67
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
 
ScBlacksunshine's Avatar
 
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LBC

Posts: 1,517
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to ScBlacksunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackskibum
Artz, How much research have you done? What internal engine parts are different? It appears you have an awful lot of knowledge for someone who has so many problems with your other BMW's and Mini's. BTW your profile shows you are all of 21 years old. If that is true, coupled with your extensive mechanical experience you get by taking your vehicles to the dealer, I question the level of expertise you have to make these assumptions.

Here is what I know for a FACT related to the 325 3.0 vs. 330 3.0:

*The ECM part number is the same, software flash is different.
*Fuel injectors are the same
*Intake manifold is different- electronically optimized for various loads and RPM
*engine wiring harness is the same (that means if I has a 3 stage manifold I could plug it right in)
*engine short block is the same (this means all parts in the lower end are the same)
*Cylinder head assembly is the same (this means that the valve timing gear, cams, valves, etc are all the same)
*Valvetronic solenoid valve is the same
*The exhaust is different.
*Throttle housing is the same

I could take my 325XI, reflash the software, add exhaust for the 330xi, and add the 3 stage intake and you think I don't have 255hp by then? What makes you think the reflash wouldn't make a difference by itself?

Do you really believe that BMW would build an engine with different internal parts for the US only in the 325 only? The 2.5 is not available as yet in the current E90, but will be next year. Then the 325 will be a true 325, not a 330 in disguise. BMW had a marketing problem since they couldn't get a 2.5 into the US for the introduction. 325 is less expensive. How do they maintain the product? Stuff an existing engine in it, deduct 40 hp and sell it for less money.

It is very common for manufacturers to tune their engines differently for different applications.

Props to your well written explanation
ScBlacksunshine is offline  
0
      07-14-2006, 04:51 PM   #68
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Weston,Florida

Posts: 1,926
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to calvino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackskibum
Artz, How much research have you done? What internal engine parts are different? It appears you have an awful lot of knowledge for someone who has so many problems with your other BMW's and Mini's. BTW your profile shows you are all of 21 years old. If that is true, coupled with your extensive mechanical experience you get by taking your vehicles to the dealer, I question the level of expertise you have to make these assumptions.

Here is what I know for a FACT related to the 325 3.0 vs. 330 3.0:

*The ECM part number is the same, software flash is different.
*Fuel injectors are the same
*Intake manifold is different- electronically optimized for various loads and RPM
*engine wiring harness is the same (that means if I has a 3 stage manifold I could plug it right in)
*engine short block is the same (this means all parts in the lower end are the same)
*Cylinder head assembly is the same (this means that the valve timing gear, cams, valves, etc are all the same)
*Valvetronic solenoid valve is the same
*The exhaust is different.
*Throttle housing is the same

I could take my 325XI, reflash the software, add exhaust for the 330xi, and add the 3 stage intake and you think I don't have 255hp by then? What makes you think the reflash wouldn't make a difference by itself?

Do you really believe that BMW would build an engine with different internal parts for the US only in the 325 only? The 2.5 is not available as yet in the current E90, but will be next year. Then the 325 will be a true 325, not a 330 in disguise. BMW had a marketing problem since they couldn't get a 2.5 into the US for the introduction. 325 is less expensive. How do they maintain the product? Stuff an existing engine in it, deduct 40 hp and sell it for less money.

It is very common for manufacturers to tune their engines differently for different applications.

LOL
Attached Images
 
calvino is offline   United_States
0
      07-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #69
tl_boy
Major
 
tl_boy's Avatar
 
Drives: tl
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: houston

Posts: 1,329
iTrader: (0)

Where's the 325i guinea pig? That member from Austin was going to try a 330i intake manifold into his 325i. After reading JUST HOW many parts are the same, it looks easier than even expected. I also agree that it is common for manafacturers to have manipulate things, if they feel it is better financiall for them to do so. In fact, I remember reading years ago, that BMW underreported the E46's 0-60mph time, because when 3rd party magazines tested it, it was faster than reported.... there presumption was BMW did not want to steal the thunder from the more expensive M5 because the M3 was faster. Usually, manafacturers will develop a motor, and, based on its variations in displacement, they will put it in various applications. The amazing thing in this situation, is that the engine is EXACTLY the same. Hence the real value in the 325i that I've been saying from day one. Even the auto tranny is the same, but has different gear ratios, which is adjustable anyway. I still say reflash+intake manifold = 255hp for a 325i. Who's gonna try it??
tl_boy is offline  
0
      07-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #70
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
 
canucklion's Avatar
 
Drives: circles around you
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 10,454
iTrader: (9)

I find that suspicious as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
Lastly, I do find it suspicious that both the 330i and 325i get the exact same power increases from the chip. Bring on the Dynos!

Thanks for your efforts, creativeautoworks.
__________________
canucklion is offline   Canada
0
      07-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #71
Artz 330
Colonel
 
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ

Posts: 2,486
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackskibum
Artz, How much research have you done? What internal engine parts are different? It appears you have an awful lot of knowledge for someone who has so many problems with your other BMW's and Mini's. BTW your profile shows you are all of 21 years old. If that is true, coupled with your extensive mechanical experience you get by taking your vehicles to the dealer, I question the level of expertise you have to make these assumptions.

Here is what I know for a FACT related to the 325 3.0 vs. 330 3.0:

*The ECM part number is the same, software flash is different.
*Fuel injectors are the same
*Intake manifold is different- electronically optimized for various loads and RPM
*engine wiring harness is the same (that means if I has a 3 stage manifold I could plug it right in)
*engine short block is the same (this means all parts in the lower end are the same)
*Cylinder head assembly is the same (this means that the valve timing gear, cams, valves, etc are all the same)
*Valvetronic solenoid valve is the same
*The exhaust is different.
*Throttle housing is the same

I could take my 325XI, reflash the software, add exhaust for the 330xi, and add the 3 stage intake and you think I don't have 255hp by then? What makes you think the reflash wouldn't make a difference by itself?

Do you really believe that BMW would build an engine with different internal parts for the US only in the 325 only? The 2.5 is not available as yet in the current E90, but will be next year. Then the 325 will be a true 325, not a 330 in disguise. BMW had a marketing problem since they couldn't get a 2.5 into the US for the introduction. 325 is less expensive. How do they maintain the product? Stuff an existing engine in it, deduct 40 hp and sell it for less money.

It is very common for manufacturers to tune their engines differently for different applications.
I want you to tell me where I stated that internals are different. Please Highlight for me

"You need to do a little research on the differences between the 330 and 325 and how BMW acheived the Extra power out of the engine to get to 255. No chipping your 325 will do nothing interms of even "almost" as powerful as a 330. There are mechanical differences with in the motor itself, and can not be changed by a simple remap."

As for problematic cars. Got a few bad batches no big deal.
__________________
Artz 330 is offline  
0
      07-14-2006, 05:17 PM   #72
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
 
canucklion's Avatar
 
Drives: circles around you
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 10,454
iTrader: (9)

like I've said regarding all the crazy retrofits that people have cooked up in the past, anything is possible, but is it financially feasible? sure it's possible to convert the 325 to a 330, but how much is it gonna cost you?
__________________
canucklion is offline   Canada
0
      07-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #73
Artz 330
Colonel
 
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ

Posts: 2,486
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
if it was so easy we would all have bought 325's spent a few bucks to make 255 but save thousands on the cost of the car.
__________________
Artz 330 is offline  
0
      07-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #74
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
 
canucklion's Avatar
 
Drives: circles around you
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 10,454
iTrader: (9)

Artz, chill bro, he was merely asking you a question "Do you really believe that BMW would build an engine with different internal parts for the US only in the 325 only?" infering from your statement of "There are mechanical differences with in the motor itself"

he didn't say you said it, it was just a question.
__________________
canucklion is offline   Canada
0
      07-14-2006, 05:24 PM   #75
creativeautoworks
 
Drives: Ibis White 2007 Audi A4 S-Line
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 392
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to creativeautoworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion
I find that suspicious as well
Actually Evotech has told us that they expect a larger gain from the 325 for obvious reasons, we'll just have to dyno one afterwards and seeeee, but I'm almost positive that a 330 is being dyno'ed next week.
creativeautoworks is offline   United_States
0
      07-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #76
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Weston,Florida

Posts: 1,926
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to calvino
does this ECU Software is able to remove the speed limit???
calvino is offline   United_States
0
      07-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #77
Joe Bimmer
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 546
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
Where's the 325i guinea pig? That member from Austin was going to try a 330i intake manifold into his 325i. After reading JUST HOW many parts are the same, it looks easier than even expected. I also agree that it is common for manafacturers to have manipulate things, if they feel it is better financiall for them to do so. In fact, I remember reading years ago, that BMW underreported the E46's 0-60mph time, because when 3rd party magazines tested it, it was faster than reported.... there presumption was BMW did not want to steal the thunder from the more expensive M5 because the M3 was faster. Usually, manafacturers will develop a motor, and, based on its variations in displacement, they will put it in various applications. The amazing thing in this situation, is that the engine is EXACTLY the same. Hence the real value in the 325i that I've been saying from day one. Even the auto tranny is the same, but has different gear ratios, which is adjustable anyway. I still say reflash+intake manifold = 255hp for a 325i. Who's gonna try it??
According to several dealerships, the only way to get access to a 3-stage intake manifold is to 1) acquire one from a pieced-out wrecked 330i at auction, or 2) the dealership has to order one from Germany, and they will only do so after they determine it to be faulty, and will require a core replacement. :mad:

I'm still trying to get my hands on one though, and once I do...it's on! I already have two software companies that say they can copy the intake mappings from a stock 330i chip and flash them onto a 325i. Anyone know what happened to that asshole's 330i that was running from the cops in Houston? I wonder if it was totalled; I think the video was on YouTube. Anyone want to sell a 3-stage intake manifold?
__________________
Joe Bimmer is offline  
0
      07-14-2006, 05:43 PM   #78
RichReg
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RichReg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i (SOLD) & 2000 323Ci.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 1,952
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackskibum
Here is what I know for a FACT related to the 325 3.0 vs. 330 3.0:

*The ECM part number is the same, software flash is different.
*Fuel injectors are the same
*Intake manifold is different- electronically optimized for various loads and RPM
*engine wiring harness is the same (that means if I has a 3 stage manifold I could plug it right in)
*engine short block is the same (this means all parts in the lower end are the same)
*Cylinder head assembly is the same (this means that the valve timing gear, cams, valves, etc are all the same)
*Valvetronic solenoid valve is the same
*The exhaust is different.
*Throttle housing is the same
Correct on every point....EXCEPT that the exhausts are also the same.
Not that I agree that you could easily re-create a 330 with all of these parts....

And calvino: Screw the damn power gains.....where'd you find that chick that got owned?
I want her sent to my house...:
RichReg is offline  
0
      07-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #79
tl_boy
Major
 
tl_boy's Avatar
 
Drives: tl
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: houston

Posts: 1,329
iTrader: (0)

Hey,

Haha. I wouldn't bet on that guys car, its probably impounded somewhere. Anyways, yeah, there are several members on here who have totalled their cars, it should not be very difficult to find the intake manifold. Also, try Bavarian Auto Recycling in california. Good luck man, we're all excited to see how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bimmer
According to several dealerships, the only way to get access to a 3-stage intake manifold is to 1) acquire one from a pieced-out wrecked 330i at auction, or 2) the dealership has to order one from Germany, and they will only do so after they determine it to be faulty, and will require a core replacement. :mad:

I'm still trying to get my hands on one though, and once I do...it's on! I already have two software companies that say they can copy the intake mappings from a stock 330i chip and flash them onto a 325i. Anyone know what happened to that asshole's 330i that was running from the cops in Houston? I wonder if it was totalled; I think the video was on YouTube. Anyone want to sell a 3-stage intake manifold?
tl_boy is offline  
0
      07-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #80
tl_boy
Major
 
tl_boy's Avatar
 
Drives: tl
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: houston

Posts: 1,329
iTrader: (0)

The 330i exhaust has a flap on it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
Correct on every point....EXCEPT that the exhausts are also the same.
Not that I agree that you could easily re-create a 330 with all of these parts....

And calvino: Screw the damn power gains.....where'd you find that chick that got owned?
I want her sent to my house...:
tl_boy is offline  
0
      07-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #81
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MIKEYMIKE's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,516
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to MIKEYMIKE
FUCK A CHIP!

Imma get NAWZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
MIKEYMIKE is offline   United_States
0
      07-14-2006, 05:56 PM   #82
tl_boy
Major
 
tl_boy's Avatar
 
Drives: tl
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: houston

Posts: 1,329
iTrader: (0)

Maybe then you can beat a Sequoia by a car length??






Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYMIKE
FUCK A CHIP!

Imma get NAWZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
tl_boy is offline  
0
      07-14-2006, 05:57 PM   #83
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MIKEYMIKE's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,516
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to MIKEYMIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
Maybe then you can beat a Sequoia by a car length??






MIKEYMIKE is offline   United_States
0
      07-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #84
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
 
canucklion's Avatar
 
Drives: circles around you
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 10,454
iTrader: (9)

nope, different
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
Correct on every point....EXCEPT that the exhausts are also the same.
Not that I agree that you could easily re-create a 330 with all of these parts....

And calvino: Screw the damn power gains.....where'd you find that chick that got owned?
I want her sent to my house...:
__________________
canucklion is offline   Canada
0
      07-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #85
RichReg
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RichReg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i (SOLD) & 2000 323Ci.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 1,952
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
The 330i exhaust has a flap on it.
Is that supposed to be a difference?
O.K. ....the 330 exhaust has a flap on it
What's that, about 10-15 hp worth of difference?

Here, I got this from Bimmerfest awhile ago:
RichReg is offline  
0
      07-14-2006, 06:03 PM   #86
Artz 330
Colonel
 
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ

Posts: 2,486
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bimmer
According to several dealerships, the only way to get access to a 3-stage intake manifold is to 1) acquire one from a pieced-out wrecked 330i at auction, or 2) the dealership has to order one from Germany, and they will only do so after they determine it to be faulty, and will require a core replacement. :mad:

I'm still trying to get my hands on one though, and once I do...it's on! I already have two software companies that say they can copy the intake mappings from a stock 330i chip and flash them onto a 325i. Anyone know what happened to that asshole's 330i that was running from the cops in Houston? I wonder if it was totalled; I think the video was on YouTube. Anyone want to sell a 3-stage intake manifold?
yea. My dealer wont even sell me one. LOL. Looks like ill throw the 330Xi on the lift swap out the 325is manifold with the 330's. I have access to a 330 ecu also. Plug it up to the laptop play around with it, and take it out on the road, match it up to the 330i and go dyno it. I just checked it out. THere are slight wiring differences actually, on the 330 and 325 that lead up to the manifold itself.
__________________
Artz 330 is offline  
0
      07-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #87
tl_boy
Major
 
tl_boy's Avatar
 
Drives: tl
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: houston

Posts: 1,329
iTrader: (0)

I agree that I dont' think it will be worth ANY difference, in fact, it could be just for sound purposes. But technically it is different though.

The main deal again is the intake manifold and ECU reflash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
Is that supposed to be a difference?
O.K. ....the 330 exhaust has a flap on it
What's that, about 10-15 hp worth of difference?
tl_boy is offline  
0
      07-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #88
tl_boy
Major
 
tl_boy's Avatar
 
Drives: tl
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: houston

Posts: 1,329
iTrader: (0)

Thats manual tranny. Auto trannys are the same p/n i believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
Is that supposed to be a difference?
O.K. ....the 330 exhaust has a flap on it
What's that, about 10-15 hp worth of difference?

Here, I got this from Bimmerfest awhile ago:
tl_boy is offline  
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST