E90Post
 


ProTUNING Freaks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Seat belt handover mech - repair guide?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-14-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
SelSol
First Lieutenant
SelSol's Avatar
England
6
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: 335D SE
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cambridge

iTrader: (0)

Seat belt handover mech - repair guide?

I've put up with it for long enough, and I have a little bit of time on my hands over winter, so wanted to repair the handover mechanism in my E92.

The mech all works, but the little finger that is supposed to catch the seatbelt as it moves out, doesn't flick out until its a couple of inches past the actual seatbelt. Looking at the mech it seems that its probably just a small pin or runner thats not seated correctly, but I've had it out twice and I can't see anything obvious.

Is there a "how to" anywhere? Googling doesn't bring anything up (save for about a million people complaining that the mech is broken in the first place because its stupidly flimsy).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
macck
Second Lieutenant
macck's Avatar
2
Rep
288
Posts

Drives: 2008 e92 msport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n.ireland

iTrader: (2)

I replaced both ends last week cost 34 quid each now working fine. When i removed the butler ends a small piece of plastic fell out i think that is the part that fails it seems to be connected to the spring in the seatbelt butler.Also the stealer supplied me with plastic clip which goes round the metal runner that the seat-belt is connected to its ment to help the belt slide.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
mistryn
Colonel
mistryn's Avatar
42
Rep
2,005
Posts

Drives: BMW 335D
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mids

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
I replaced both ends last week cost 34 quid each now working fine. When i removed the butler ends a small piece of plastic fell out i think that is the part that fails it seems to be connected to the spring in the seatbelt butler.Also the stealer supplied me with plastic clip which goes round the metal runner that the seat-belt is connected to its ment to help the belt slide.
i dont suppose you have the part numbers for this?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
macck
Second Lieutenant
macck's Avatar
2
Rep
288
Posts

Drives: 2008 e92 msport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n.ireland

iTrader: (2)

Theres a coupe of numbers on the box but i think its this one 72119165381
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
mistryn
Colonel
mistryn's Avatar
42
Rep
2,005
Posts

Drives: BMW 335D
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mids

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
Theres a coupe of numbers on the box but i think its this one 72119165381
thanks, my local dealer sometimes/most times are a pain to deal with going in for parts

is it quite easy to replace? do i need any special tools? mine has been playing up on the drivers side
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
SelSol
First Lieutenant
SelSol's Avatar
England
6
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: 335D SE
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cambridge

iTrader: (0)

Are there any online parts retailers for BMW? Going to Elms is a PITA because its a 60 mile round trip.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
macck
Second Lieutenant
macck's Avatar
2
Rep
288
Posts

Drives: 2008 e92 msport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n.ireland

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
i dont suppose you have the part numbers for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
thanks, my local dealer sometimes/most times are a pain to deal with going in for parts

is it quite easy to replace? do i need any special tools? mine has been playing up on the drivers side
Yeah easy to install 20mins to do both. They even give you we screwdriver in the box lol. Only problem was the whole arm retracted everytime you went to work at it so i just held the arm when it tried to retract it stayed out allowing me to work at it once the butler was replaced pushed the arm in manualy and it reset itself not sure if that was the right way to do it but it worked for me. It a nice gimmick when its working properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
macck
Second Lieutenant
macck's Avatar
2
Rep
288
Posts

Drives: 2008 e92 msport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n.ireland

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelSol View Post
Are there any online parts retailers for BMW? Going to Elms is a PITA because its a 60 mile round trip.
Theres an official bmw retailer on ebay now .
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
coopersim
Captain
coopersim's Avatar
United Kingdom
20
Rep
793
Posts

Drives: VW Lupo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Berks

iTrader: (2)

I gave up on this as I couldn't find a way of removing just the end part of the assembly and the dealer wouldn't let me talk to a tech without me paying for half an hours labour - fair enough I guess
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
bmwak
Major
bmwak's Avatar
United Kingdom
24
Rep
1,075
Posts

Drives: 325D M-Sport Coupe (E92 LCI)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelSol View Post
Are there any online parts retailers for BMW? Going to Elms is a PITA because its a 60 mile round trip.
I believe Cooper BMW do a mail order service via their website. Bowker Preston do too (although you have to speak to them) and so do Cotswolds in Gloucestershire.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
300iBooner
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 300i Msport
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

How to take E92 seat belt arms out

I am new to the BMW world (2 weeks) and the drivers seat belt arm doesn't catch the belt I know there are loads of post about this subject but what I cannot find anywhere is how to take the arm apart I have bought the end piece that flicks out but can't work out or find any how to guides on this item any help will be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
gsxr-john
Registered
England
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 335d se
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: w yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

This thread was the best one I could find about the problem so thought I'd post the solution here. I fixed mine myself. The video on you tube about using an iron to straighten the seatbelt probably isn't the answer for most people. The seat belt helper is broken if its in the fully extended position and the end 'hand' can still be folded backwards.

The end part is held in by a raised tab, you need a sharp small craft knife to remove it. This is the best video I found
but the guy is working on the whole assembly which has been removed from the car. Not an english language video but not important just look at how he does it......and it can be done without removing the whole mechanism....here's how

When the helper extends hold onto it, just hold it, don't pull it out any more, and after a short while it'll stop trying to retract! Open the door and dont close it til you're all done.

Here's the fiddly bit now but if you've watched the video you know where to look for the tab that's keeping the end in place - with a bit of care you can cut enough of it way so the whole end arm comes out.

Get your new part and just push it in til it clicks.

Next time you put the key in and close the door the arm should fully retract itself .... job done ! (if it doesn't go back , take the key out open the door, push the whole arm in a bit and repeat)

Best wishes...

Last edited by gsxr-john; 02-27-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: apology for foreign language video
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
briers
Ben
briers's Avatar
United Kingdom
36
Rep
1,975
Posts

Drives: XFR
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midlands,UK

iTrader: (0)

Thanks John that's what I did when I replaced mine.

I actually removed the entire arm (like the vid) and initially tried to see if the plastic stopper would go under the end barrier by lifting the end gently with a screwdriver. On closer inspection the end barrier is deep so that's not possible.

I simply did what you said which is to shave off the top of the plastic stopper so it slides out the end. Job done

Welcome to e90post btw
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
reficuliu
Private First Class
reficuliu's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Wow Thanks everyone.
This was exactly what i was looking for.

Now if anyone has a more detailed DIY of this repair it would be incredible.
I'm a little timid to attempt shaving/cutting any parts in the event i damage the arm more than it is failing already..

i tried searching the part number given above but didn't find anything.. i'll keep looking though.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
e90sexion
E 9 0 S E X I O N
e90sexion's Avatar
Canada
85
Rep
6,461
Posts

Drives: M3, Z4MC
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver/WA

iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reficuliu View Post
Wow Thanks everyone.
This was exactly what i was looking for.

Now if anyone has a more detailed DIY of this repair it would be incredible.
I'm a little timid to attempt shaving/cutting any parts in the event i damage the arm more than it is failing already..

i tried searching the part number given above but didn't find anything.. i'll keep looking though.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...72&fg=05&hl=91

#16, i don't know if its any different based on which cars,
double check in case.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
scottp999
Brigadier General
scottp999's Avatar
65
Rep
4,703
Posts

Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr-john View Post
This thread was the best one I could find about the problem so thought I'd post the solution here. I fixed mine myself. The video on you tube about using an iron to straighten the seatbelt probably isn't the answer for most people. The seat belt helper is broken if its in the fully extended position and the end 'hand' can still be folded backwards.

The end part is held in by a raised tab, you need a sharp small craft knife to remove it. This is the best video I found but the guy is working on the whole assembly which has been removed from the car. Not an english language video but not important just look at how he does it......and it can be done without removing the whole mechanism....here's how

When the helper extends hold onto it, just hold it, don't pull it out any more, and after a short while it'll stop trying to retract! Open the door and dont close it til you're all done.

Here's the fiddly bit now but if you've watched the video you know where to look for the tab that's keeping the end in place - with a bit of care you can cut enough of it way so the whole end arm comes out.

Get your new part and just push it in til it clicks.

Next time you put the key in and close the door the arm should fully retract itself .... job done ! (if it doesn't go back , take the key out open the door, push the whole arm in a bit and repeat)

Best wishes...
John - Just wanted to say thanks for your great post!

All - For my 4/2007 build e92 the driver side end of the arm was 72119144937 (only good up to 9/2007). For other build dates go to realoem.com and then for your build month look at Restraint System and Accessories, Safety Belt, Safety Belt Front Diagram.

The end of the arm part was $55.00 from getbmwparts.com (tischer bmw).

I also ordered 2 of those plastic spacers (part 72117294366) that go on the rail at the bottom, but my car did better without them installed.
__________________
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, RB PCV Valve, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #17
GB-335xiCoupe
Libertarian
GB-335xiCoupe's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
1,498
Posts

Drives: his wife crazy.
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Green Bay area

iTrader: (0)

On 2011 lci e92 built 3/2010:
Part 72117330782 (right)
Part 72117330781 (left)
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST