E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Retrofit Flappy Paddles?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #89
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
Dr Dave's Avatar
United Kingdom
63
Rep
5,541
Posts

 
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somerset

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Yeah I thought the same Shane, thought this thread was pretty comprehensive.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #90
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
196
Rep
9,239
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (32)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
hi all,

I'm very interested in doing this but have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

I have a 2006 e90 325 (USA) automatic. My car did not come with paddles but lets just say that I have a paddle steering wheel and paddles. Am I ready to do this MOD or do I need other parts?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #91
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
Dr Dave's Avatar
United Kingdom
63
Rep
5,541
Posts

 
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somerset

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
You're ready to go! No other parts or looms required.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #92
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
196
Rep
9,239
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (32)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
So basically, I need to connect my connectors from the paddles to the two empty slots from the multi-function connector? Now from here, do i need to run two seperate wires to the center consule to connect to the switchgear?

without a DIY thread, this is somewhat confusing but I'm going to give it a try anyways


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanIOW View Post
Here is a pic of the multi function connector, you will see 2 unused connections [ There are no contacts inside, you will have to buy or make them up from computer connectors]


Craig - The multi function switch does not use normal switchgear I think they have a circuit that changes resistance so the 8 switches only need 4 wires - I am sure it could be done, but I did not want to alter anything permanently.

Last edited by ska///235i; 02-21-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #93
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
Dr Dave's Avatar
United Kingdom
63
Rep
5,541
Posts

 
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somerset

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
All the info is in this very thread!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 05:14 AM   #94
AlanIOW
Private First Class
AlanIOW's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Isle of Wight, UK.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
So basically, I need to connect my connectors from the paddles to the two empty slots from the multi-function connector? Now from here, do i need to run two seperate wires to the center consule to connect to the switchgear?

without a DIY thread, this is somewhat confusing but I'm going to give it a try anyways
Hi

I know it looks confusing, but once you start dismantling Dave and my photos should make it clearer.

The wires to the centre consoleneed to come from the back of the Slip Ring where there is a multi pin connector.

Make sure before you go much further that your slip ring has the same number of connectors as in Posts 21,22,and 23 I think some early models could be different.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #95
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
196
Rep
9,239
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (32)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I have no problem dismantling everything as I have done all that before, my other question is where is the connector at the back of the slip ring? thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 03:53 AM   #96
AlanIOW
Private First Class
AlanIOW's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Isle of Wight, UK.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
I have no problem dismantling everything as I have done all that before, my other question is where is the connector at the back of the slip ring? thanks
Hi

Does this photo help, its taken from below the steering column, the indicator stalk is at the top. The loom at the bottom is where your new wiring to the centre console comes from. Bear in mind these pictures are taken on a car with the steering wheel on the correct side!!!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #97
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
196
Rep
9,239
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (32)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Alan,

I haven't had the chance to start the diy yet, but lets say that if i don't have the two extra pins... can I still run wires from the shifters to the center consule? I just need to find a way for the wires to go thru the slip-ring right?

Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanIOW View Post
Hi

Does this photo help, its taken from below the steering column, the indicator stalk is at the top. The loom at the bottom is where your new wiring to the centre console comes from. Bear in mind these pictures are taken on a car with the steering wheel on the correct side!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 03:51 AM   #98
AlanIOW
Private First Class
AlanIOW's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Isle of Wight, UK.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Alan,

I haven't had the chance to start the diy yet, but lets say that if i don't have the two extra pins... can I still run wires from the shifters to the center consule? I just need to find a way for the wires to go thru the slip-ring right?

Thanks
Yes, I briefly tried wiring the paddles directly to the gear shifter connections to make sure it all worked. Just don't drive anywhere like that, all those wires wrapped round the steering column could be a nightmare!!

The other option if you haven't got the extra pins is to pick up a later slip-ring on ebay.

Before I started this project I pondered ways of getting the paddle wires to the gear shifter, one of those was to use some sort of IR transmitter/receiver, but as it turned out my car had the spare pins on the slip ring. The other plan was to disable 1 or 2 of the Multi Function steering wheel switches and use those slip ring pins.

Good luck, it'll be worth it in the end.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #99
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
196
Rep
9,239
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (32)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Thanks for all the info. Really appreciated.
It would be funny if I retrofit the + & - on the volume control as paddle shifting..ahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanIOW View Post
Yes, I briefly tried wiring the paddles directly to the gear shifter connections to make sure it all worked. Just don't drive anywhere like that, all those wires wrapped round the steering column could be a nightmare!!

The other option if you haven't got the extra pins is to pick up a later slip-ring on ebay.

Before I started this project I pondered ways of getting the paddle wires to the gear shifter, one of those was to use some sort of IR transmitter/receiver, but as it turned out my car had the spare pins on the slip ring. The other plan was to disable 1 or 2 of the Multi Function steering wheel switches and use those slip ring pins.

Good luck, it'll be worth it in the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #100
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
196
Rep
9,239
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (32)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
hey guys,

when you ground/earth the middle wire of the paddle connectors...which one do you ground/earth it to?
The "red" area or the "yellow" area (see pic)

thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanIOW View Post
My paddles are exactly like those, they each have 3 wires the centre is earth which I connected to the earth screw on the wheel itself [Not the large brown cable going to the Airbag bracket, I think thats the Horn]

Rather than cut the paddle cables I made up a small circuit that they both plugged into, connecting each side together and then to the spare positions on the multi switch connector - sorry about the image, but I can't draw on a laptop.

Ps This is from memory, but I think its correct.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 03:30 AM   #101
AlanIOW
Private First Class
AlanIOW's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Isle of Wight, UK.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
hey guys,

when you ground/earth the middle wire of the paddle connectors...which one do you ground/earth it to?
The "red" area or the "yellow" area (see pic)

thanks


Its the red area on your photo, the other connection is the horn.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #102
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
196
Rep
9,239
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (32)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
ok guys...good new and bad news

good news, I did the diy and the DCT paddles work...but

bad news:

I probably made a mistake on wiring during the first attempt and it triggered 2 error codes that are not going away (code 354 - start off assistance inactive and code 351 - 4x4/awd, dsc malfunction). Funny thing is that these two error codes had been fixed before about 1-2 years ago...under warranty. So I'm not sure why these two errors are reappearing.

My DCT paddles (from M3) only works in DS or M mode...doesn't work in regular D mode. Could this be that my car is USA model???? The paddles are shifting correctly so I don't think is the wiring...any ideas?

my car is a 2006 325XI I had the 6 pin mutlifunction connector and also have the 2 yellow wires behind the slipring like Dave....I disconnected the 2 yellow wires from the connector and replaced it with 2 of my homemade wires that ran to the auto-shift wire connectors (the 2 middle wires) just like you guys did.

Oh man...so unlucky for me
my warranty ended dec.09 so I'm not sure what to do with the codes

Last edited by ska///235i; 03-07-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #103
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
196
Rep
9,239
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (32)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I got everything fixed, it came out that my Coil Spring Cartridge (slip ring) was the problem...I picked up another one from a local member. It wasn't caused by the retrofit, my guess is that when I had the steering column lock issue fix by the dealer back in 2007..they fucked up this part. I just happen to run into this while retrofitting the paddles. I'm looking at the old cartridge and things are all out of place and some parts of the cartridge doesn't even function correctly; who else could it be


Ok so the only difference is that I can only paddle when in DS mode and not D

Last edited by ska///235i; 03-10-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #104
AlanIOW
Private First Class
AlanIOW's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Isle of Wight, UK.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
I got everything fixed, it came out that my Coil Spring Cartridge (slip ring) was the problem...I picked up another one from a local member. It wasn't caused by the retrofit, my guess is that when I had the steering column lock issue fix by the dealer back in 2007..they fucked up this part. I just happen to run into this while retrofitting the paddles. I'm looking at the old cartridge and things are all out of place and some parts of the cartridge doesn't even function correctly; who else could it be


Ok so the only difference is that I can only paddle when in DS mode and not D

Glad you got it sorted out, did the fault code clear when you changed the slip ring?

I think the lack of overide when in D mode is probably due to the age of your car, I doubt you can do anything more.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #105
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
196
Rep
9,239
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (32)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
yea, codes went away after the new slip ring...again, I can see that the old slip ring has been taken apart and not properly install right, some pieces are broken off too...by the dealer of course

I'm going to re-check the auto shift knob area and see what i can do with the wiring.

Alan, thanks alot man!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanIOW View Post
Glad you got it sorted out, did the fault code clear when you changed the slip ring?

I think the lack of overide when in D mode is probably due to the age of your car, I doubt you can do anything more.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #106
hun77777
Brigadier General
hun77777's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
4,625
Posts

 
Drives: SG E92
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle WA

iTrader: (58)

i see bits and pieces here and there but can some1 put together actual DIY?...... please?
__________________
SGE92TT......................... 12.331 Sec @ 117.89 Mph............................POWERED BY
l BMS DCI l HELIX IC l FORGE DVs l RR OCC & CP & SCOOPS l AR 3" DPs l AE QUADs l BLISTEIN PSS10 l P3 VENT GUAGE l VISHNU PROCEDE V4 AUTOTUNE l Lots of Window Stickers

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #107
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
196
Rep
9,239
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (32)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I already did one...please check DIY section

Quote:
Originally Posted by hun77777 View Post
i see bits and pieces here and there but can some1 put together actual DIY?...... please?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #108
AlanIOW
Private First Class
AlanIOW's Avatar
United Kingdom
4
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives: E93 320d M Sport Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Isle of Wight, UK.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
I already did one...please check DIY section
Here is the link to SKA's excellent DIY;

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...49#post7043049

AlanIOW
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #109
hun77777
Brigadier General
hun77777's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
4,625
Posts

 
Drives: SG E92
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle WA

iTrader: (58)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
I already did one...please check DIY section
thanks for the link. i'm def going to do this.



with that being said, i have few questions on step 3 of your diy as i'm wiring noobie!

Quote:
If you have empty pin slots, then insert 2 wires you made with the pin connectors (these 2 wires will need to be approx. 2.5 feet long).
If you have 2 yellow wires in pin #2&4, then remove the pins and follow above. Make sure to tape up the unused pins of the yellow wires and secure them.
1) what do you mean by follow above if there are two yellow wires as picutred? take it out those two yellow wires from pin # 2&4 and insert those 2 new wires? just take it out that's it?


2) so which wires are pin #2 and pin #4? blue? green? little lack of info there or am i missing something?


3) another question is that on the picture below, i see green/purple/blue/white and the diagram alan put together has different colors so where do i exactly tab those two wires into?

__________________
SGE92TT......................... 12.331 Sec @ 117.89 Mph............................POWERED BY
l BMS DCI l HELIX IC l FORGE DVs l RR OCC & CP & SCOOPS l AR 3" DPs l AE QUADs l BLISTEIN PSS10 l P3 VENT GUAGE l VISHNU PROCEDE V4 AUTOTUNE l Lots of Window Stickers

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #110
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
196
Rep
9,239
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (32)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
1) what do you mean by follow above if there are two yellow wires as picutred? take it out those two yellow wires from pin # 2&4 and insert those 2 new wires? just take it out that's it?

yup, take them out and just use electric tape to secure them aside

2) so which wires are pin #2 and pin #4? blue? green? little lack of info there or am i missing something?

on every connector...you should see a "1" which indicates thats where pin # 1 is located


3) another question is that on the picture below, i see green/purple/blue/white and the diagram alan put together has different colors so where do i exactly tab those two wires into?

as describe...his coloring are all random, just tab the middle 2 wires (should have 4 wires)
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST