E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Disappointed in dyno runs.... WTF!!!!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #23
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
 
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,707
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
^ Interesting........Someone should come up with a comparo between real drag strip numbers vs. dyno numbers in 1/4 mile...........I just don't know of any mustang dynos around where I live.
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #24
Nikolas
Colonel
 
Drives: 996 TT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sierra Mountains

Posts: 2,068
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Dude, that's a mustang dyno...its calibrated in a way to read way lower than what it typically should...use a dynojet
LOL that is funny - are you sure it is not the other way around?
Nikolas is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2009, 10:51 PM   #25
hotrod182
.
 
hotrod182's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 335i, 06 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: California

Posts: 3,461
iTrader: (0)

It would really be screwed up if you line up against a 380+ Dyno HP car and beat him in a race! Actually, thats what you need to do. See what another 335i with similar mods (or otherwise) achieves on that dyno. Or line up and race a 335i that has known dyno numbers.
__________________
2011 Alpine 335d M-Sport 12.34 @ 110.48mph
2012 LEAF 130MPGe
2008 Black 335i Sedan. 11.11@ 129.47 mph,(8.39 sec 60-130 stock turboWR)
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph (N54 trap speed WR)
60-130mph: 6.95 seconds stock turbo WR (.16% slope)

Last edited by hotrod182; 03-31-2009 at 08:19 AM.
hotrod182 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2009, 07:14 AM   #26
tommay248
1N'dONE
 
Drives: N54 135i / VO 1M
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 717
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
I will really be screwed up if you line up against a 380+ Dyno HP car and beat him in a race! Actually, thats what you need to do. See what another 335i with similar mods (or otherwise) achieves on that dyno. Or line up and race a 335i that has known dyno numbers.
I dont even know anyone else with a 335!!!! haha so thats kinda rough

And all my friends drive 600+whp mustangs, supras, wrx's so that wouldnt be too fair
tommay248 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2009, 08:33 AM   #27
MrWhite1015
Major General
 
MrWhite1015's Avatar
 
Drives: MINIVAN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Westchester NY

Posts: 6,020
iTrader: (21)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to MrWhite1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommay248 View Post
I dont even know anyone else with a 335!!!! haha so thats kinda rough

And all my friends drive 600+whp mustangs, supras, wrx's so that wouldnt be too fair
where in CT are you ... i went to ICS in Stamford and got 368 / 374 awhp with chip intake and exhaust (no dp's or fmic) if you wanna meet up and do some pulls let me know
__________________
MrWhite1015 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #28
RiXst3r
 
RiXst3r's Avatar
 
Drives: www.p3cars.com
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ohio

Posts: 6,459
iTrader: (14)

Send a message via AIM to RiXst3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommay248 View Post
Had some trouble with the Rix gage as you can no longer change maps by the pedal correct? We tried all 4 maps on the gage and 1 and 3 i believe were exactly the same.
Actually, the pedal selector works great still, just put it in bc.2, and then it is as if the gauge is not there. bc.2 is your pedal selector map.

1 is race gas (map7 on jb3)
2 is pedal selector
3 is high boost (map3 on jb3)
4 is stock.

put it in bc.2 , use the pedal to program what map you want, and then every time you go back to bc.2, it will be that map.

These were chosen by Terry.


-Rick
RiXst3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #29
jpsimon
Team Zissou
 
jpsimon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 STi
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CT

Posts: 8,999
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWhite1015 View Post
where in CT are you ... i went to ICS in Stamford and got 368 / 374 awhp with chip intake and exhaust (no dp's or fmic) if you wanna meet up and do some pulls let me know
We should set up a dyno day
__________________
2015 STi / 335xi (solid)
www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive data log viewing

jpsimon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2009, 10:22 AM   #30
tommay248
1N'dONE
 
Drives: N54 135i / VO 1M
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 717
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWhite1015 View Post
where in CT are you ... i went to ICS in Stamford and got 368 / 374 awhp with chip intake and exhaust (no dp's or fmic) if you wanna meet up and do some pulls let me know
Mr.White + JPsimon
I am down, XX Tuning in Hartford has a PowerJet or whatever and they have a dyno day coming up in April. I would be happy to setup a dyno day between then though or just go there. Let me know what days work well for you two
tommay248 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #31
Jon335iFL
Brigadier General
 
Jon335iFL's Avatar
 
Drives: This----------->
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jrz :)

Posts: 4,827
iTrader: (14)

dude wtf this thing is saying your max tq is at 315 that is way wrong i think stock they got it to fo 300 flat

there is something wrong with the machine
__________________


.
Jon335iFL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2009, 12:06 PM   #32
jpsimon
Team Zissou
 
jpsimon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 STi
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CT

Posts: 8,999
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommay248 View Post
Mr.White + JPsimon
I am down, XX Tuning in Hartford has a PowerJet or whatever and they have a dyno day coming up in April. I would be happy to setup a dyno day between then though or just go there. Let me know what days work well for you two
I'd rather not go to XX. ICS or nothing! Middle/Late april is better for me
__________________
2015 STi / 335xi (solid)
www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive data log viewing

jpsimon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #33
MrWhite1015
Major General
 
MrWhite1015's Avatar
 
Drives: MINIVAN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Westchester NY

Posts: 6,020
iTrader: (21)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to MrWhite1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
I'd rather not go to XX. ICS or nothing! Middle/Late april is better for me
im moving to PA on the 10th so ummm yeah ...
__________________
MrWhite1015 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #34
Nikolas
Colonel
 
Drives: 996 TT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sierra Mountains

Posts: 2,068
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon335iFL View Post
dude wtf this thing is saying your max tq is at 315 that is way wrong i think stock they got it to fo 300 flat

there is something wrong with the machine
There is nothing wrong with the machine. It is a REAL load based dyno, not a glory number machine like all the dynos you see posted here.
Nikolas is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #35
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
 
cstmx_ryder's Avatar
 
Drives: A metal box with a roundel
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,707
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to cstmx_ryder Send a message via MSN to cstmx_ryder
So what does that mean? That all the numbers we're used to seeing from DynoJets are all too high?

Another words, only Mustang Dynos puts out realistic numbers that a car ACTUALLY puts down on the road?
__________________

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
cstmx_ryder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #36
Bogo Shipyo
Colonel
 
Bogo Shipyo's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: philly - nyc

Posts: 2,409
iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Dynos should be there to measure results and compare to YOU and what YOU have done in the past.
Dynos are not there for the comparison of other dynos.
+ 1

compare it to how many hp you have gained
Bogo Shipyo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #37
Nikolas
Colonel
 
Drives: 996 TT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sierra Mountains

Posts: 2,068
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
So what does that mean? That all the numbers we're used to seeing from DynoJets are all too high?

Another words, only Mustang Dynos puts out realistic numbers that a car ACTUALLY puts down on the road?
Well, a Mustang dyno is a true load based dyno. So essentially yes. DynoJets do not truly simmulate the actual load that is placed on the car in driving conditions. While it does load the car, it does not do it to the extent that a Mustang or a Dyna Dynamics Dyno will. Regardless of which dyno is used, the only important number is the delta change from a baseline run to the final run and what that number represents as a percentage of change from the baseline to the final. The actual number really doesn't matter because it will always be different between different dynos and different cars even if those cars are tested on the same dyno on the same day. I'm not mocking DynoJets in any way. I am just clarifying why a Mustang Dyno reads so much lower (typically) An end user can modify the Mustang calibrations to more closely match a DynoJet if they care to.

Ps: I am sure there was a reason that Shiv selected a dyna dynamics machine over a dynojet and it definately was not due to cost.
Nikolas is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #38
hotrod2448
grand poobah
 
hotrod2448's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 SG, F10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 2,014
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Well, a Mustang dyno is a true load based dyno. So essentially yes. DynoJets do not truly simmulate the actual load that is placed on the car in driving conditions. While it does load the car, it does not do it to the extent that a Mustang or a Dyna Dynamics Dyno will. Regardless of which dyno is used, the only important number is the delta change from a baseline run to the final run and what that number represents as a percentage of change from the baseline to the final. The actual number really doesn't matter because it will always be different between different dynos and different cars even if those cars are tested on the same dyno on the same day. I'm not mocking DynoJets in any way. I am just clarifying why a Mustang Dyno reads so much lower (typically) An end user can modify the Mustang calibrations to more closely match a DynoJet if they care to.

Ps: I am sure there was a reason that Shiv selected a dyna dynamics machine over a dynojet and it definately was not due to cost.
BTW, It's DynO Dynamics.
hotrod2448 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #39
Nikolas
Colonel
 
Drives: 996 TT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sierra Mountains

Posts: 2,068
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
BTW, It's DynO Dynamics.
Yes it is - I'm wickedly sick and I think all this goo in my sinus is affecting my brain.

Thanks
Nikolas is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #40
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,884
iTrader: (0)

The delta of your whp on a dyno is important, but everyone must also remember that it can be skewed too. If a dynojet inflates your stock numbers and tuned numbers, why wouldn't the delta be skewed by the same factor over a mustang dyno? My point is that I'd be willing to bet the delta on a mustang will not be the same as the delta on a dynojet, given all else the same. The difference between the two is probably more like a scalar factor than an offest. Just another thing to consider when comparing different dynos.
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
GeorgiaTech335coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #41
chinoxs203
Major
 
chinoxs203's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 1,352
iTrader: (7)

yeah those numbers are LOW.. my car with the mods in the sig were 340AWHP at ICS. Id like to go to another dyno day in a few months, id have JB3 1.3 and FMIC by then
__________________

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
chinoxs203 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #42
Nikolas
Colonel
 
Drives: 996 TT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sierra Mountains

Posts: 2,068
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoxs203 View Post
yeah those numbers are LOW.. my car with the mods in the sig were 340AWHP at ICS. Id like to go to another dyno day in a few months, id have JB3 1.3 and FMIC by then
Ugh! Of course your numbers are higher - ICS uses a Dynojet - read above. The point of this discussion is that his numbers are not low given the machine used to test it.
Nikolas is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #43
hotrod2448
grand poobah
 
hotrod2448's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 SG, F10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 2,014
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
hotrod2448 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #44
Turkishexpress
Gixxer Man
 
Turkishexpress's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i E90 / '06 Range HSE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tysons/Sterling, VA

Posts: 599
iTrader: (2)



ITS A MUSTANG DYNO, YOU HAVE AN AWD CAR WITH MORE DRIVETRAIN LOSS, GEAR SELECTION COULD HAVE BEEN AN ISSUE, MD COULD BE MANIPULATED TO READ PRETTY MUCH HOWEVER YOU WANT IT TO...

Please take it to the track and you will see that you'll have a better trap speed than most of the people that claim to have a lot more hp.
__________________
Stable: 2008 E90 335i JB3 etc..., 2006 Range Rover HSE, K7 GSX-R 600

Former Stable: 2008 MB C300, 2007 Chevy Avalanche, 2006 Evo IX (544awhp), 2005 Sti, 2003 Evo...
Turkishexpress is offline   Turkey
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST