E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > If you guys have a motorcycle



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #23
nmulax
Brigadier General
 
nmulax's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Metro-Detroit

Posts: 4,323
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [3.83]
Sorry to hear about your loss.

I wanted a bike for years, but after having a couple friends get in accidents (thank god none were injured beyond some broken bones) I'm less inclined to get one. You could be a extremely careful and safe rider, but it doesn't matter if the cars around you aren't paying attention.

I think I'll stick to dirtbikes.
__________________
nmulax is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 10:11 AM   #24
hotsand5
hotsand5
 
hotsand5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: chicago

Posts: 807
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to hotsand5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Sorry for your loss.

I got my motorcycle permit yesterday, but I didn't sign up for being a donor. No way, they are taking me off of life support to collect my organs.

Shimshimhada, you intersted in buying a bike?
__________________
-2006 BMW 330i-Sapphire Black- Tera Leather-Aluminum trim- 6spd manual- Sport- Premium- Cold- Navigation- Euro. delivery

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
hotsand5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #25
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5
Shimshimhada, you intersted in buying a bike?
Eventually. I have no need for it, since I won't be riding it around this area anyway. I'm going to be signed up for the MSF course in the Fall.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #26
hotsand5
hotsand5
 
hotsand5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: chicago

Posts: 807
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to hotsand5
The MSF course taught me a lot and is worth the 20 bucks. After about a year of riding, I suggest that you try to get into the MSF advanced course. I don't know how it is by you, but over here, you have to sign up as soon as they open the classes online. They fill up that fast.
__________________
-2006 BMW 330i-Sapphire Black- Tera Leather-Aluminum trim- 6spd manual- Sport- Premium- Cold- Navigation- Euro. delivery

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
hotsand5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #27
flush01
Major
 
Drives: 33m@%#ing5
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: toronto

Posts: 1,420
iTrader: (0)

sorry to hear :/

and ya, i want bike so bad, but I know i will be dead sooner or later in it, you just can't go slow on a bike.... so I'll stick with cars
flush01 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #28
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
 
Squawks's Avatar
 
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ithaca, NY

Posts: 663
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Squawks
Sorry about your loss, cdheaven - another reason why folks dislike motorcycles (including Jason Williams, Arnold Schwarshengdigeer, Ben Rufflesberger). My big bro currently has a Yamaha starter bike which he claims he'll only ride on the weekends - he tries to assure everybody he'll be ok with his full-body leather with kevlar jacket, pants, gloves, and helmet. Regardless, I keep telling him that he's stupid. No offense, shim.

Veering off-topic, I would also have to agree with you shim regarding the 'donator' fiasco in today's medical world. You are right - doctors are much more inclined in cutting off your support to reap your organs which, coincidentally, the hospital will make *massive* cash in conducting those operations. It's like Christmas for them to have free organs flowing in through those doors.
__________________
I'm sorry about my outlandish behavior - there's too much blood in my alcohol system.
Squawks is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #29
Sedan_Clan
Banned
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,923
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks

Veering off-topic, I would also have to agree with you shim regarding the 'donator' fiasco in today's medical world. You are right - doctors are much more inclined in cutting off your support to reap your organs which, coincidentally, the hospital will make *massive* cash in conducting those operations. It's like Christmas for them to have free organs flowing in through those doors.
Sooooooooooooooo, the fact that those organs may save the life of another is completely disregarded????? It's of no surprise to me that people try to make this a monetary issue. It's not always about money.

Case in point....

...An individual that I know was diagnosed with cancer in both lungs. He never had any symptoms prior to diagnosis. He was an avid runner, and was in great muscular shape prior to his illness becoming worse. Recently he was told that his time was short, and to start making arrangements. He was on the lung transplant list at USC, but wasn't making much progress. Out of a sheer miracle, two lungs became available for him this past week, and he had his surgery this past Friday. From one unfortunate loss comes added life for another.

Donated organs could be useful in saving the life of another human being. Some people can be so selfish and self-interested. That's the true problem with our society.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 01:38 PM   #30
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
 
Squawks's Avatar
 
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ithaca, NY

Posts: 663
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Squawks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Donated organs could be useful in saving the life of another human being. Some people can be so selfish and self-interested. That's the true problem with our society.
Whoa whoa whoa there, buddy. Speaking a little too fast, aren't we?

"People" can be so selfish? Oh, it makes sense now - do you know how much transplant operations cost? Do you know how many people get turned down from transplants not because of organ scarcity but because they can't afford it and/or there are others willing to fork over 10X more money? Do you think doctors transplant organs for free out of goodwill?

The true problem is not among people, but among our hospital system. Ever heard about the University of Irvine, California fiasco? Where a liver-transplant hospital was literally shut down because of numerous flaws INCLUDING failure to execute multiple transplants to needy people (oh, I wonder why...)?
__________________
I'm sorry about my outlandish behavior - there's too much blood in my alcohol system.
Squawks is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #31
whippersnapper
Captain
 
whippersnapper's Avatar
 
Drives: people mad
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 972
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
You know a lot of people get killed driving cars too. And some of the posts on this board describe behaviour that certainly increases the chances of an accident. Of course motorcycles have almost non existent active safety but since the majority of you know little about them why speak out and broadcast your ignorance?


If you are interested in the performance of vehicles beyond their ability to provide simple transport (and many BMW owners would fall in this group), it is hard to see why you should be so judgemental of a vehicle (motorcycle) that performance to a whole new place that most car drivers couldn't even imagine .
__________________
__________________________________________________ __________________
2006 BMW 325i, Jet Black, 6MT, ZSP, Black Leather, Aluminum, Power Seats, Logic 7
whippersnapper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #32
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
 
Squawks's Avatar
 
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ithaca, NY

Posts: 663
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Squawks
whippersnapper - are you fruitlessly attempting to deny the very simple fact that your chance of having a serious injury is much, much higher if you are a motorcycle rider relative to a car driver?

You shouldn't. No matter how long you want to boast about how much safer motorcycles are today than they were before, the chances of you getting seriously injured while driving one is exponentially higher than that of driving a car.

"You know a lot of people get killed driving cars too." Oh really? I also know HIV/AIDS kill a lot of people too. And tsunamies. And lightning. Your point?
__________________
I'm sorry about my outlandish behavior - there's too much blood in my alcohol system.
Squawks is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 02:13 PM   #33
Sedan_Clan
Banned
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,923
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Whoa whoa whoa there, buddy. Speaking a little too fast, aren't we?

"People" can be so selfish? Oh, it makes sense now - do you know how much transplant operations cost? Do you know how many people get turned down from transplants not because of organ scarcity but because they can't afford it and/or there are others willing to fork over 10X more money? Do you think doctors transplant organs for free out of goodwill?

The true problem is not among people, but among our hospital system. Ever heard about the University of Irvine, California fiasco? Where a liver-transplant hospital was literally shut down because of numerous flaws INCLUDING failure to execute multiple transplants to needy people (oh, I wonder why...)?
Considering I work closely with the hospital, I'm quite knowledgeable about many of its inner workings, associated costs, etc. It seems as though you are attempting to make such instances the rule rather than isolated occurrences (..and judging each incident on its own merit). Of course there will be a multitude of costs associated with such a huge surgical procedure (..not to mention a lifetime of anti-rejection medications, etc.), but to suggest that a person shouldn't donate organs (..as mentioned in this thread) is selfish.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 07-17-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 02:16 PM   #34
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
 
Squawks's Avatar
 
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ithaca, NY

Posts: 663
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Squawks
Then with that said, I don't think you can label people as "self-interested" or selfish for an isolated case of choosing not to donate his/her organs.

I wouldn't label Bill Gates or Warren Buffet as selfish if they choose not to be organ donators.
__________________
I'm sorry about my outlandish behavior - there's too much blood in my alcohol system.
Squawks is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #35
StewtheBassman
Major General
 
Drives: 04 X5 3.0, 07 530xiT
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hudson, Quebec

Posts: 6,386
iTrader: (1)

CD, I am truly sorry to hear about your unbelievable loss. I wish you the best in dealing with it, close friends are family, this will be hard for you.


I enjoyed a bike immensely for about 5 years and when I started my family I sold it, no regrets, and plenty of thanks that I survived it.
__________________

StewtheBassman is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #36
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Considering I work closely with the hospital, I'm quite knowledgeable about many of its inner workings, associated costs, etc. I seems as though you are attempting to make such instances the rule rather than isolated occurrences (..and judging each incident on its own merit). Of course there will be a multitude of costs associated with such a huge surgical procedure (..not to mention a lifetime of anti-rejection medication, etc.), but to suggest that a person shouldn't donate organs (..as mentioned in this thread) is selfish.
Yes, I am selfish. I'd rather not be an organ donor, if it decreases the chances that a doctor will give up on me to save some other people for a huge profit.

Like I said, I don't know if that's the case, but you never know...how would you feel if a someone didn't try absolutely everything they could to save you to make a couple of bucks?

That being said, I guess if I were in a serious accident and I needed an organ...well, I sure hope the donor didn't have to die to save me.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #37
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5
The MSF course taught me a lot and is worth the 20 bucks. After about a year of riding, I suggest that you try to get into the MSF advanced course. I don't know how it is by you, but over here, you have to sign up as soon as they open the classes online. They fill up that fast.
I know, I experienced how fast it gets filled up, when I checked all of the summer slots. It's not $20 anymore, it's like $150 in some places. Nonetheless, it's probably worth it tenfold.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #38
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
 
Squawks's Avatar
 
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ithaca, NY

Posts: 663
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Squawks
shim I think you've been watching too much Grey's Anatomy

They did have an episode though where the harvesters were eager to grab someone until that one dude Malroy realized the person is responding to stimuli while in a coma.
__________________
I'm sorry about my outlandish behavior - there's too much blood in my alcohol system.
Squawks is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 03:09 PM   #39
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,839
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
shim I think you've been watching too much Grey's Anatomy

They did have an episode though where the harvesters were eager to grab someone until that one dude Malroy realized the person is responding to stimuli while in a coma.
I've never watched that show.

Okay, we need to stop getting OT in a serious thread.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #40
whippersnapper
Captain
 
whippersnapper's Avatar
 
Drives: people mad
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 972
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
whippersnapper - are you fruitlessly attempting to deny the very simple fact that your chance of having a serious injury is much, much higher if you are a motorcycle rider relative to a car driver?

You shouldn't. No matter how long you want to boast about how much safer motorcycles are today than they were before, the chances of you getting seriously injured while driving one is exponentially higher than that of driving a car.

"You know a lot of people get killed driving cars too." Oh really? I also know HIV/AIDS kill a lot of people too. And tsunamies. And lightning. Your point?

The risk is about 20 times higher on average. So much for your exponential hyperbole Certainly less for a skilled rider wearing the best protective gear. Of course motorcycles have a higher risk than cars, my point being that many more people are killed and maimed everyday in cars and no-one gives it a second thought. Your comments on HIV etc are irrelevant.
__________________
__________________________________________________ __________________
2006 BMW 325i, Jet Black, 6MT, ZSP, Black Leather, Aluminum, Power Seats, Logic 7
whippersnapper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #41
flush01
Major
 
Drives: 33m@%#ing5
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: toronto

Posts: 1,420
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper
The risk is about 20 times higher on average. So much for your exponential hyperbole Certainly less for a skilled rider wearing the best protective gear. Of course motorcycles have a higher risk than cars, my point being that many more people are killed and maimed everyday in cars and no-one gives it a second thought. Your comments on HIV etc are irrelevant.
that's because there's 90% of cars and 10% of bikes... if you take 100,000 cars and 100,000 bikes, then there will be more bikers killed compare to cars
flush01 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 03:56 PM   #42
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
 
Squawks's Avatar
 
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ithaca, NY

Posts: 663
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Squawks
Thanks, flush01. Didn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, eh?
__________________
I'm sorry about my outlandish behavior - there's too much blood in my alcohol system.
Squawks is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 04:34 PM   #43
whippersnapper
Captain
 
whippersnapper's Avatar
 
Drives: people mad
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 972
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flush01
that's because there's 90% of cars and 10% of bikes... if you take 100,000 cars and 100,000 bikes, then there will be more bikers killed compare to cars
However your maths is irrelevant because the absolute risk is related to the actual choices you make. Absolute vs. relative risk. A common mistake made by those who think themselves so clever
__________________
__________________________________________________ __________________
2006 BMW 325i, Jet Black, 6MT, ZSP, Black Leather, Aluminum, Power Seats, Logic 7
whippersnapper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 05:19 PM   #44
shragon
Moderator
 
shragon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325i SG Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 27,450
iTrader: (7)

sorry to hear about your loss.
__________________
shragon is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST