E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Official runner's thread



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
249
Rep
18,830
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

Official runner's thread

Ever since I started in college, I felt like I needed to find new ways to stay active. I used to be the athletic type in HS, but now I have given myself a new challenge...

To start off, I would only run 2-3 miles at the most, and mainly did it just to stay in shape. Now, I have gone and signed up for the Rock n' Roll Half marathon in Virginia Beach Labor Day weekend.

Im on pace with my running schedule (adding a mile a week), and am currently sitting at 6 miles.


Is there anybody else thats training for something now? Just curious, so maybe swapping stories or sharing training insight might be an advantage...



No Im not talking to those who train to do the 12oz curls
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
mds82
Major General
mds82's Avatar
134
Rep
5,844
Posts

Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: South Central Connecticut

iTrader: (40)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to mds82 Send a message via Yahoo to mds82
Back in high school i used to run like no body's business. Well i wouldnt go that far, but cross country, Track.. I loved to run

Lately i dont get out that much, but i do stay in shape though

my best times back in the day ( well 6 years ago) were:
1600m - 4:46
um, wait i dont remember the rest. I think the 5K was 17:50.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
38
Rep
735
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: e90post.com

iTrader: (0)

Anatomy I & II in college made me start running. After I learned running helps circulate the lymphatic system, I've been running ever since. Also, I've noticed running really helps to take your mind off things, especially stresses of the day!

Good for you that you're actually training for something. We really don't have any kind of marathons or anything like that around here.

I try to run at least 8 miles every week. Sometimes I can't, but when I do, I feel great.

Sadly, though, I do all my running on the treadmill (my area has become too dangerous to run outside ).

Every week, I try to follow this schedule:

Sunday: Start at 5.0 mph for 45 minutes, but increase speed by .1 of a mile every minute, with no incline. Either that, or I'll run constantly at 6.5 mph for 45 minutes with an incline cycle level of 0-4 every 2 minutes 15 seconds.

Tuesday: Run at 7.8 mph for about 10-15 minutes on a level (0) incline

Thursday: Run at 6.0 mph for about 5-10 minutes at a cycling incline interval between 5-10. This one's really tough!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
249
Rep
18,830
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

My running schedule is pretty consistant due to the fact that I am training... Come raceday, Im looking for 9 min miles @ 13.1 miles, which puts me under 2 hours... Its a tall order for my first longer race... But Im doing this to push myself...

3x a week and as follows:

Tuesday - add one mile from previous week, but run at 10 min miles...

Thursday - same distance as Tue, but run 9:30 miles

Sunday - Same distance, 9 min miles

and back to Tuesday... This week, I jumped ahead and did Tuesday's workout today (Sun) because I was just in the zone, and felt as if I could do the extra mile...

At this rate, I will be at 12 miles by the end of august... race is 13.1, but you always train to a small amount less...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
bimmer4me
Captain
bimmer4me's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
996
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I ran track on high school and then didn't exercise again for about 15 years. I started running again in my early thirties. I got into it to the point of hiring a running coach who has ran in 5 olympic trials. Here are some things he told me.

1) 6 - 8 weeks for building a base initially. Run slowly to build up an endurance. Just run/walk at whatever speed for 45 - 60 minutes 5 or 6 times a week.

2) Don't increase your workout by more than 10% every 2 weeks.

3) If you miss a day, you can double up two runs the following day.

The following has my schedule, but adjust accordingly because I had been "training for my training" so I was already in somewhat decent shape. He also suggested running a mile as warm up followed by 10 minutes of stretching. He also stretched at the end of each run.

Mon - 5 miles
Tue - 6 miles
Wed - 7 miles
Thu - 4 miles
Fri - 5 miles
Sat - "track day", bunch of sprints from 100 meters - 800 meters
Sun - rest
__________________

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 10:17 PM   #6
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
249
Rep
18,830
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183

Every week, I try to follow this schedule:

Sunday: Start at 5.0 mph for 45 minutes, but increase speed by .1 of a mile every minute, with no incline. Either that, or I'll run constantly at 6.5 mph for 45 minutes with an incline cycle level of 0-4 every 2 minutes 15 seconds.

Tuesday: Run at 7.8 mph for about 10-15 minutes on a level (0) incline

Thursday: Run at 6.0 mph for about 5-10 minutes at a cycling incline interval between 5-10. This one's really tough!

7.8 miles per hour is actually a pretty fast pace!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #7
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
249
Rep
18,830
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me

Mon - 5 miles
Tue - 6 miles
Wed - 7 miles
Thu - 4 miles
Fri - 5 miles
Sat - "track day", bunch of sprints from 100 meters - 800 meters
Sun - rest




I cant run back to back... Ironically, its because I have some lower back problems due to running. My off days I do strength training though for my upper body and back...

That Tuesday/Wednesday seems like a killer...


I had the 2-3 mile base, and have a relatively short time to train for this (2.5 months).

Mike, are you doing an ironman competition with those as your 'training for training'????
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
bimmer4me
Captain
bimmer4me's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
996
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
lol...no ironman for me. To be honest I always had a dream of running a sub-four minute mile. I got up to 40 miles a weeks before I stopped. My coach wanted me to run between 80 and 90 miles a week. And yes, all that for running just one mile. I know its a completely outragous goal, but 2 years ago, on the treadmill, I ran one mile in 5 minutes (12 mph) without any real training so I though it would be fun to try.
__________________

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 10:30 PM   #9
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
249
Rep
18,830
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
... I ran one mile in 5 minutes (12 mph) without any real training so I though it would be fun to try.


fun


While I am not a large build, getting my 6' frame to run a 5 min mile would be defying physics


I may have run a 6 min mile in elementary school...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 10:35 PM   #10
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
38
Rep
2,860
Posts

Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
My running schedule is pretty consistant due to the fact that I am training... Come raceday, Im looking for 9 min miles @ 13.1 miles, which puts me under 2 hours... Its a tall order for my first longer race... But Im doing this to push myself...

3x a week and as follows:

Tuesday - add one mile from previous week, but run at 10 min miles...

Thursday - same distance as Tue, but run 9:30 miles

Sunday - Same distance, 9 min miles

and back to Tuesday... This week, I jumped ahead and did Tuesday's workout today (Sun) because I was just in the zone, and felt as if I could do the extra mile...

At this rate, I will be at 12 miles by the end of august... race is 13.1, but you always train to a small amount less...
You need to increase the number of times you run to where you are running 5 times a week. You will need the increased sessions to endure the length and duration of the run. Bump it up to 4 times a week for a week and then on to 5. I would not recommend more than 5 since this is your first long distance run. Make sure that you stretch each major body part for atleast 30 sec X 3 to ensure proper warmup and lengthening of muscles. I hope you have some really good shoes that are fitted for your feet. Price should not be an issue nor should you expect the most expensive shoes to be the best. A mile a week sounds good and looks like you will be on track. Try to run a little quicker for each mile so that when you do run it will seem easier keeping a 9min pace. Do interval training to mix it up and add cardio if you can to boost your endurance level. Physical Therapy assistant for the last 11 years and in the military so I know what I'm talking about.
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 10:37 PM   #11
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
38
Rep
2,860
Posts

Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Oh yeah, I heard that run was really cool with all the bands playing and drinking along the way. One of my Physical Therapist runs it every year. Good Luck!
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #12
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
249
Rep
18,830
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
You need to increase the number of times you run to where you are running 5 times a week. You will need the increased sessions to endure the length and duration of the run. Bump it up to 4 times a week for a week and then on to 5. I would not recommend more than 5 since this is your first long distance run. Make sure that you stretch each major body part for atleast 30 sec X 3 to ensure proper warmup and lengthening of muscles. I hope you have some really good shoes that are fitted for your feet. Price should not be an issue nor should you expect the most expensive shoes to be the best. A mile a week sounds good and looks like you will be on track. Try to run a little quicker for each mile so that when you do run it will seem easier keeping a 9min pace. Do interval training to mix it up and add cardio if you can to boost your endurance level. Physical Therapy assistant for the last 11 years and in the military so I know what I'm talking about.

My problem with running back to back days as I stated is that I start to develop lower back pains if my workouts are too close together. I actually threw out my back running about 2 years ago, and it took close to a year to build it back up to where it is now...

I certainly stretch well before and after... I am not the most flexible person, but I do what I can...

Just got new running shoes last week and they are great!!! I have had good success with nike shox in the past, and the new sets of kicks are shox as well...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 10:41 PM   #13
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
249
Rep
18,830
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
Oh yeah, I heard that run was really cool with all the bands playing and drinking along the way. One of my Physical Therapist runs it every year. Good Luck!

Thanks!!! There are a few of them that I have heard of.. but yeah... bands along the way...

But just like the radio in my car, Im too OCD and want to have control over what I listen to... so ipod it is
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #14
magmd
Major General
magmd's Avatar
United_States
73
Rep
5,272
Posts

Drives: '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Torrance, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yeah...make sure you do not push too hard while training early on.

I currently run 4 miles per day...but only get a chance to run 3 maybe 4 days per week. I would like to do it 5 days per week.

I do not run more than 6 miles now...my knees just cannot take the mechanical punishment. I know my cardio can do it...but my knees start hurting at around 10-11 miles. So...I only do smaller distances now.

For training purposes..I like the 10 min mile pace. On race day...aim for 9 min miles for my size.

Good luck...its great and addicting!
__________________
2006 330i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Step Auto | Navi with iDr | Sports Pkg |OEM Rear Spoiler | 3M CS35 Tint | H&R Sport Springs | Koni Yellows | Advan RS Racing Hypersilver: 19x9 et22 19x10 et20
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #15
Nikki
Major General
Nikki's Avatar
United_States
268
Rep
6,373
Posts

Drives: del Sol VTEC & Sepang Z4MC
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: OC

iTrader: (9)

I love running, but mostly sprints. I have never been able to run more than a little over 1/2 mile without slowing down to a very slow jog or walking. Right now I am not really running, or jogging, but I walk quite a bit and I always take the stairs.
__________________
Nikki

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 01:33 AM   #16
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Jay_328's Avatar
29
Rep
1,596
Posts

Drives: 07 e92
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Anatomy I & II in college made me start running. After I learned running helps circulate the lymphatic system, I've been running ever since. Also, I've noticed running really helps to take your mind off things, especially stresses of the day!
I couldn't agree more, running really calms the mind.

Quote:
Good for you that you're actually training for something. We really don't have any kind of marathons or anything like that around here.
Sharp, I'm sure if you did a little research you'd probably find something of interest in the your area or surrounding areas. But I could be wrong.

Quote:
I try to run at least 8 miles every week. Sometimes I can't, but when I do, I feel great.

Sadly, though, I do all my running on the treadmill (my area has become too dangerous to run outside ).
Are there any schools nearby? If so, possibly try running the track there. You can usually find others runing or walking and you won't be alone out there. You might come across some single women too! I mainly run on weekends and twice a week if time permits because I have to get my cardio in somewhere between my gym time.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 01:49 AM   #17
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Jay_328's Avatar
29
Rep
1,596
Posts

Drives: 07 e92
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
I love running, but mostly sprints. I have never been able to run more than a little over 1/2 mile without slowing down to a very slow jog or walking. Right now I am not really running, or jogging, but I walk quite a bit and I always take the stairs.
Nikki, it's actually beneficial to sprint in between your walks because it elevates your heart rate. So you're doing OK. I wish more people would get out and exercise, especially kids because some of them spend too much time indoors playing video games, watching tv, online, etc. And IMO, being physically active makes kids smarter and more confident.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 01:55 AM   #18
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
shimshimhada's Avatar
United_States
101
Rep
4,838
Posts

Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

iTrader: (2)

I ran on a treadmill once.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 02:23 AM   #19
MG_2006325i_KG
Private First Class
MG_2006325i_KG's Avatar
4
Rep
158
Posts

Drives: 2006 325i Alpine White
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
Thanks!!! There are a few of them that I have heard of.. but yeah... bands along the way...

But just like the radio in my car, Im too OCD and want to have control over what I listen to... so ipod it is
you might wanna check the fine print but a lot of runs I have done or thought about doing, especially marathons prohibit headphone use for reason none other than saftey
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 02:25 AM   #20
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
shimshimhada's Avatar
United_States
101
Rep
4,838
Posts

Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG_2006325i_KG
you might wanna check the fine print but a lot of runs I have done or thought about doing, especially marathons prohibit headphone use for reason none other than saftey
They prohibit headphones in case someone falls and you can't hear yourself running over their face.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 02:28 AM   #21
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
United_States
132
Rep
7,380
Posts

Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

iTrader: (12)

I'm in training too............73 days to go.....:rocks:
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 02:41 AM   #22
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
38
Rep
2,860
Posts

Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
My problem with running back to back days as I stated is that I start to develop lower back pains if my workouts are too close together. I actually threw out my back running about 2 years ago, and it took close to a year to build it back up to where it is now...

I certainly stretch well before and after... I am not the most flexible person, but I do what I can...

Just got new running shoes last week and they are great!!! I have had good success with nike shox in the past, and the new sets of kicks are shox as well...
I see. Tight hamstrings will also contribute to low back pain. Number 1 cure for LBP in the military. I see it all the time. Since you do have back problems. You can do non-impact eliptical training and swiming to increase your workout.
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST