E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Capital Driving Club and BMWCCA Auto-X



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
sixspeedsam
I'd Rather Be Apexing...
 
sixspeedsam's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA

Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

Capital Driving Club and BMWCCA Auto-X

Dammit, I was slow on the trigger and missed the registration for the Level 2 auto-x school for August 6th. :mad:

So, being that I have no feelings for my tires and want to run them into a fine dust, I still wanna race. I noticed that there is both a Capital Driving club auto-x in Manassas, and BMWCCA has one in Bowie on the 5th.

Anyone have experience at either events? Curious to know if someone would recommend one over the other.
sixspeedsam is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,872
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Heres the only Manassas Driving Event I got exposed to..
"BOY! WHAT A DRIVING EVENT!!! EVEN SPARTANBURG CANT TOP THIS"
Attached Images
  

Last edited by ase2dais; 07-25-2006 at 12:31 PM.
ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
sixspeedsam
I'd Rather Be Apexing...
 
sixspeedsam's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA

Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
Heres the only Manassas Driving Event I got exposed to..
"BOY! WHAT A DRIVING EVENT!!! EVEN SPARTANBURG CANT TOP THAT"
LOL, a little 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and that'll buff right out

I looked up where the BMWCCA event was... Aberdeen MD. It's almost 2 hours away from my house! :mad: Think I'm just gonna have to stick to SCCA and Capital Driving Club

Anyone got any rims -- cheap!
sixspeedsam is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,872
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
now hold it right there! not too fast
lets not under estimate the power of claying
and zaino under the "Karate Kid" arms of Shim

..
..
... these Manasas guys may need to book a schedule
ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,840
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
now hold it right there! not too fast
lets not under estimate the power of claying
and zaino under the "Karate Kid" arms of Shim

..
..
... these Manasas guys may need to book a schedule
My car looked worse than those cars after I got it back from the body shop. I had to clean pounds of bonded mud.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
sixspeedsam
I'd Rather Be Apexing...
 
sixspeedsam's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA

Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

OK cone killers, I've signed up for this Saturday the 29th for the Capital Driving Club auto-x at Harry Grove stadium in MD

Non member fee is $35 for six runs I think if you stay all day (8 - 5). Four runs if you stay just till the afternoon, which I'll probably end up doing. If anyone is interested, e-mail Ed at capitaldriving@yahoo.com or go here for more info: http://members.cox.net/capitaldrivingclub/

Me thinks this will be the last auto-x on my run flats, unless I want to pony up for new tires real soon :mad:
sixspeedsam is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,840
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedsam
OK cone killers, I've signed up for this Saturday the 29th for the Capital Driving Club auto-x at Harry Grove stadium in MD

Non member fee is $35 for six runs I think if you stay all day (8 - 5). Four runs if you stay just till the afternoon, which I'll probably end up doing. If anyone is interested, e-mail Ed at capitaldriving@yahoo.com or go here for more info: http://members.cox.net/capitaldrivingclub/

Me thinks this will be the last auto-x on my run flats, unless I want to pony up for new tires real soon :mad:
Cool! I might want to do this. What's the test and tune autocross? What do I need?
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2006, 07:44 AM   #8
sixspeedsam
I'd Rather Be Apexing...
 
sixspeedsam's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA

Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Cool! I might want to do this. What's the test and tune autocross? What do I need?
I believe the test and tune is just that... folks with new tires, springs, suspension, whatever test and tune on the track to see how the changes impact lap times.

As for just driving the auto-x, you just need a SNELL certified helmet. And take out all the crap from your car if you're coming, since nothing can be inside the vehicle when you drive.

Other items -- bring a chair, sunscreen, drinks, camera, etc. There is some waiting around from time to time, and there isn't much shade in a parking lot
sixspeedsam is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
bavarian19
General
 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

Posts: 18,809
iTrader: (23)

after the car and driver event, Im itching to get out on a course soon...


but I dont want to dump more money into wheels and tires... saving up for that montego blue 335i
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #10
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,872
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Good thought, I was about to ask you about your pirellis FS or your 18" RFTs
looks like you got rid of them. :mad:

Will Blue be your signature color then?
ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2006, 11:38 AM   #11
bavarian19
General
 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

Posts: 18,809
iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
Good thought, I was about to ask you about your pirellis FS or your 18" RFTs
looks like you got rid of them. :mad:

Will Blue be your signature color then?

I gave my pirelli's to shim. I am now back to running the RF's on...


I was originally going to order mystic, but could not wait for september production when mystic was added...
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #12
sixspeedsam
I'd Rather Be Apexing...
 
sixspeedsam's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA

Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
after the car and driver event, Im itching to get out on a course soon...

but I dont want to dump more money into wheels and tires... saving up for that montego blue 335i
AJ, one auto-x won't kill your run flats. Mine are hurting a bit, but they haven't kicked the can just yet

If you had a good time at the car and driver event, I guarantee you'll love auto-x. MaD DriFting Yo!

Seriously, the auto-x is a great opportunity to test traction limits (and often times exceed them!) as well as get a much better appreciation of just how much throttle control plays in handling. My lead foot lead to a few sideway moments and recovery... as did my all to often "to much steering input" as my instructor said.

I think everyone that bought a BMW for the "ultimate driving machine" experience is doing themselves a disservice if they don't take it out on the auto-x and/or track. These cars love to be driven
sixspeedsam is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2006, 11:58 AM   #13
bavarian19
General
 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

Posts: 18,809
iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedsam
AJ, one auto-x won't kill your run flats. Mine are hurting a bit, but they haven't kicked the can just yet

If you had a good time at the car and driver event, I guarantee you'll love auto-x. MaD DriFting Yo!

Seriously, the auto-x is a great opportunity to test traction limits (and often times exceed them!) as well as get a much better appreciation of just how much throttle control plays in handling. My lead foot lead to a few sideway moments and recovery... as did my all to often "to much steering input" as my instructor said.

I think everyone that bought a BMW for the "ultimate driving machine" experience is doing themselves a disservice if they don't take it out on the auto-x and/or track. These cars love to be driven


if i do autocross, I will probably get another set of rims and tires... Im not burning through a set of RF's when it costs 1k to replace them... Maybe Ill sign up for an event when my tread is just about done... but that will be a while...
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #14
ase2dais
//Mdicted
 
ase2dais's Avatar
 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

Posts: 9,872
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
I gave my pirelli's to shim. I am now back to running the RF's on...
maybe Shim can sell it to me, (or borrow, How much of the tire I give back, I dunno)

I need it for one Driving Class Event, to mount on a spare 18" wheels.
ase2dais is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2006, 12:37 PM   #15
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,840
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
maybe Shim can sell it to me, (or borrow, How much of the tire I give back, I dunno)

I need it for one Driving Class Event, to mount on a spare 18" wheels.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #16
sixspeedsam
I'd Rather Be Apexing...
 
sixspeedsam's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA

Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

Ordered my auto-x wheels and tires today from edgeracing. Some cheap flik rims and Azenis 615's.

Why the hell didn't someone warn me this car was gonna be a money pit? And these aren't really even "mods" in the traditional sense. Bah, I shoulda just gotten a spec miata!
sixspeedsam is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2006, 03:52 PM   #17
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,840
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedsam
Ordered my auto-x wheels and tires today from edgeracing. Some cheap flik rims and Azenis 615's.

Why the hell didn't someone warn me this car was gonna be a money pit? And these aren't really even "mods" in the traditional sense. Bah, I shoulda just gotten a spec miata!
lol im going with my stock wheels and tires. have a back up set from AJ.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #18
sixspeedsam
I'd Rather Be Apexing...
 
sixspeedsam's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA

Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
lol im going with my stock wheels and tires. have a back up set from AJ.
Did you sign up for Capital this weekend at Harry Grove? Sat or Sun?

I probably won't get them in time for this weekend, so I'll have beat on my run flats one more time :mad:
sixspeedsam is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #19
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,840
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedsam
Did you sign up for Capital this weekend at Harry Grove? Sat or Sun?

I probably won't get them in time for this weekend, so I'll have beat on my run flats one more time :mad:
Signed up for Sunday, since I have to detail Donny's car on Saturday, depending on what time he drops it off, I might watch the Saturday run.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #20
sixspeedsam
I'd Rather Be Apexing...
 
sixspeedsam's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: VA

Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Signed up for Sunday, since I have to detail Donny's car on Saturday, depending on what time he drops it off, I might watch the Saturday run.
Drive his car to the Saturday event and detail it there. Free marketing 101! Plus, we can take it on the course for a few runs to see how it handles
sixspeedsam is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #21
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,840
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedsam
Drive his car to the Saturday event and detail it there. Free marketing 101! Plus, we can take it on the course for a few runs to see how it handles
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2006, 03:17 PM   #22
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
 
shimshimhada's Avatar
 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

Posts: 4,840
iTrader: (2)

Sam, it was awesome! I got eleven runs in, but was too tired to do some fun runs afterwards. My best time was 47.48. I only used 1st gear, so I might have bounced off the rev limiter a couple times, but I was having too much fun to notice.
shimshimhada is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST