E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > bike for summer

04-08-2009, 02:23 AM   #23
trixman
Major
United Kingdom

Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Sorry but if you don't wear leathers for any kind of serious biking your a numpty.

A 600 of todays speed is just as fast in the real world as a busa, I was eating 1000's at the track, just can't get the power down.

I did my direct access course and passed in the morning, by the afternoon I was riding around on a new Ducati 749. Within a week it felt too slow.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 02:36 AM   #24
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom

Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Trix, very true, fact is people do.

Kit saves lives on bikes but you still have to be much more careful out there in my opinion.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 04:17 AM   #25
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom

Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
I'd go and get a blow job, blow your mind.... and then forget about bikes...

Trust me... 17 accidents - 5 involving ambulances, 2 in TWO days !

.... and only NOW do I realise how lucky I was....

For track days only I think...

My 2penny worth
      04-08-2009, 05:47 AM   #26
Zk1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
I'd go and get a blow job, blow your mind.... and then forget about bikes...

Trust me... 17 accidents - 5 involving ambulances, 2 in TWO days !

.... and only NOW do I realise how lucky I was....

For track days only I think...

My 2penny worth

Shit Sj, thats unlucky mate. I'm not really looking to commute to and from work or anything just within the burbs to and from mates houses and just for crusing about during summer.
      04-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #27
Looney Toon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Drives: BMW 320D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
A modern 600 has enough grunt to set your ringpiece quivering like a tuning fork and more than enough to get you into trouble too.
Very true. It depends on your personal mindset. I'm in the industry, and the modern 600 sports bikes can be seriously overwhelming to a newb. I'd recommend something a little less powerful for a year or so until your confident of your own riding ability and comfortable in all aspects of your surroundings.

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of friends/aquaintances i've known killed or seriously injured on bikes over the last 15 years.
      04-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #28
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
United Kingdom

Drives: C63 AMG Coupe

Garage List
There is a world of difference between an SV650, 600 Bandit or 600 Hornet and the full on bikes like the GSXR600, R6, ZXR600's.

I would say on a track a 600 is as fast as a 1000, just because the power is more manageble. On a road, a big bike has so much more torque you can get into a lot more trouble.

Don't ever think you don't need to wear all your kit. The only accident I had that ended up in an ambulance I was just popping to the bank to get some cash. I just thought I'd only be 5 mins, so didn't bother with boots and leathers. I still remember the police sierra (yes, it was a whileback!) turning up first as I lay on the pavement with a crowd round me. The other shame was it was my mates RGV250!

Just be extra careful. As amazing bikes are, they are also very dangerous.

Ps: my wife won't let me ride on the road, on on track (excludes the 'ring!)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #29
MattOz
Captain
United Kingdom

Drives: E91 335i M Sport - LCI 6MT

Garage List
2006 BMW E60 M5  [0.00]
Thumbs up

I've had my license since 1992 and have not really been bikeless since 1993. I did sell my RSV-R to get a Skyline but that was a mistake!

I've had a Hayabusa and it was epic. Did just about everything well and the acceleration was mind blowing at first. However, you get used to things and it just felt very quick by the time I sold it. I'm currently running a bike with a bit more horsepower than the Busa and about 45kg less weight. Much more exciting.

I'll certainly never be able to afford a car that matches the bike for thrills or pace, so will have to stick with wearing leather at the weekends! LOL

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #30
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England

Drives: 335D Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
never be able to afford a car that matches the bike for thrills or pace
(nothing personal matt btw)

... this is exactly why bikers get such a bad name. It is possible to buy a big bike with an insane amount of power cheaply for the same price as a old corsa. Its far easier to get on one and drive at warpspeed, so thats what a lot of idiots do If cars with the same amount of performance were available for similar prices then all the nutters would be driving them.

all bikers arnt crazy, double solid white line crossing, risk taking numties ... just a few give us a bad name

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #31
MattOz
Captain
United Kingdom

Garage List
2006 BMW E60 M5  [0.00]
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post

... this is exactly why bikers get such a bad name. It is possible to buy a big bike with an insane amount of power cheaply for the same price as a old corsa. Its far easier to get on one and drive at warpspeed, so thats what a lot of idiots do If cars with the same amount of performance were available for similar prices then all the nutters would be driving them.

all bikers arnt crazy, double solid white line crossing, risk taking numties ... just a few give us a bad name
Absolutely agree with you CD. As is usual, the minority spoil it for the majority. It's very easy to ride one at warp speed, but far less easy to actually do that in a controlled manner.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #32
Ant Man
Major
England

Drives: E92 M3 Jerez black / Fox red

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Thought about a Vauxhall VX220 - the VXR does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds plus it can really handle!!

Just thought I would throw it in... I am considering it as a weekend toy for summer, or possibly an S2000 as you can get them for about 9k for a 2002 (which includes the revised suspension which wont kill ya)

Matt
Yes but it sounds like a vacuum cleaner
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #33
Ant Man
Major
England

Drives: E92 M3 Jerez black / Fox red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zk1 View Post
Shit Sj, thats unlucky mate. I'm not really looking to commute to and from work or anything just within the burbs to and from mates houses and just for crusing about during summer.
If you want to cruise, buy a cruiser. Triumph build some lovely cruisers like the Americana.

I used to have a ZX6R for weekend use only and would want to spank it all the time. But when I ride my mates VN800, I'm chilled, I travel at no more than 50mph and it feels absolutely fantastic

As others have mentioned, definately buy the best leathers, gloves, helmet and boots that you can afford.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #34
E902717
Colonel
England

Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post

I know what you mean me and my girlfriend went to Wales on Sunday for a drive up over Horse shoe pass and ended up in Barmouth the weather was amazing!

On the way there was alot of bikers about 99% rode there bikes safely its the other 1% that scare me i saw 1 guy on wearing trainers tracksuit bottoms a hoody and no gloves and he was going well over 70mph .

I don't understand why people get on motorbikes without all the gear on, it baffles me....

there was the odd few overtaking on blind bends and crossing white lines, i was expecting to come round the corner and find them on the floor.

Someone came past me on a Suzuki GXR600 doing a wheelie going quite fast it was on a straight bit of road though...

if you treat them with respect and also the road/weather conditions you have got a better chance of not coming a cropper!

You can't beat the thrill of going fast on a motorbike a car doesn't even come close i remember when i was younger going out with my dad on his Honda fireblade

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #35
acerboo
Brigadier General
England

Drives: e92 335d lci

suzuki sv 650 good safe bike quick easy to ride and sounds good
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #36
trixman
Major
United Kingdom

Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
suzuki sv 650 good safe bike quick easy to ride and sounds good
Good advice that.

A nice comfortable bike is what's needed. I had a Duke and a ZX6R and they only get comfortable when your giving them some beans.

I can't help my mixed feelings when I see bikes going past now. On one hand I'm horribly envious and the other I am glad I'm not risking my life every 5 minutes.

It all depends on the kind of person you are. I like to test the limit, so even though I took it easy most of the time, I did blast it too often and found myself in some sticky situations that for the sake of a few cm's would have been fatal... and that seemed to happen every other time I rode (being fairweather and not commuting). Modern bikes can sometimes give you a false sense of security, until you touch a tiny bit of mud/oil/leaves/damp while 'getting on' round a corner and you might be lucky to not hit oncoming traffic/stationary vehicles/road signs/wall.

Saying that, I would get one right now at the drop of a hat if I weren't completely pu*sy whipped.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #37
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland

Drives: 320d SE Coupe

Garage List
My then 24 year old nephew died on a bike 12 years ago. He had already one season in competitive racing behind him and considered the public roads more dangerous than the race track.

One spring evening he passed a car on a road I know well, no excessive speeds, dry weather, no on coming traffic, he was wearing full leathers and all the works and - perhaps the drive seized or something but some mechanical fault just after he had passed the car, threw him off the bike into a lampost.

He had the right gear on, was very experienced at handling a motor cycle, was not travelling at risky speed or in risky conditions - still dead.

And you think direct access is a good idea?...
      04-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #38
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom

Drives: 330 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
My then 24 year old nephew died on a bike 12 years ago. He had already one season in competitive racing behind him and considered the public roads more dangerous than the race track.

One spring evening he passed a car on a road I know well, no excessive speeds, dry weather, no on coming traffic, he was wearing full leathers and all the works and - perhaps the drive seized or something but some mechanical fault just after he had passed the car, threw him off the bike into a lampost.

He had the right gear on, was very experienced at handling a motor cycle, was not travelling at risky speed or in risky conditions - still dead.

And you think direct access is a good idea?...

Sorry for your loss Alan but that could have happened on a 50cc moped too. DAS has its faults but when it comes down to it you're far more likely to have an accident as a result of another driver mesing up than anything else. Of the minority of accidents that happen due to rider stupidity a large number would probably happen even on learner 125 bikes.

If your contention is that DAS is a bad thing because it allows people to ride bikes then thats another argument.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #39
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom

Drives: 330 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by E902717 View Post
there was the odd few overtaking on blind bends and crossing white lines, i was expecting to come round the corner and find them on the floor.
Dont cross white lines myself as there are far too many plod around but it's not a terrible thing to do just because of the white line... the important point is was it a safe manoeuvre? given the mad acceleration available to most big bikes their safe overtaking distance is much smaller than most cars and can often make a short straight stretch a safe place to overtake - side turnings and the like permitting.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 03:20 AM   #40
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom

Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Sorry, i cant be bothered to read through this whole thread so what im about to write has probably already been said!!! Ive been riding bikes for almost 20 years and have had almost every top spec high performance sports bike thats been made and ive also raced in Super Stock for a season. I started out on an Aprilia RS125 and cant recommend them enough for a learner rider that genuinely wants to ride sports bikes and learn the basics in terms of handling and throttle control etc. They are actually supremely quick for what they are and have an insane power band. Ridden well they will and can actually out perform any 600 out there around the twistys because of the unbelievable handling they provide. I did a track day a few years ago at cadwell on my then GSXR 1000 K5 (still one of the best bikes around) and Pere Riba was there messing around on his mates RS125R and he was running rings around all of us on litre bikes!!! It would be a very good move to buy one and learn how to ride it properly. They are so light and flickable and have more than enough speed to keep you entertained. The VERY worst thing any new rider can do is go straight through DAC and then jump on a 600 or worse still a litre bike - as most modern 600's now can easily do 160mph and in the wrong or inexperienced hands you will die very quickly. In my opinion the RS125 will give you the opportunity to learn the basics and then allow you to develop skill using the power properly without you getting bored too quickly. I had a mine for a full year and rode in the wet and dry. Riding in the wet is crucial for any rider to learn better bike control - and i keep saying it - learn throttle control - your right wrist is your best friend or worst enemy on a bike. The next best tip i can give you once you have passed your full test and decide to go up to a 600 (cant recommend the YZF R6 enough, 2006 model onward) - is get yourself booked onto a track day. Sounds scary but your riding will improve by 100% over night. Until you can witness personally in a safe environment just how far you can push your tyres, you will never fully appreciate what your bike can really do. It will transform your road riding ten fold and give you the confidence in your tyres that allows you to ride properly and with control. I wish you the best of luck and if you want any further advice feel free to PM or call me buddy - you have my details. Steve
      04-14-2009, 04:32 AM   #41
Looney Toon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Drives: BMW 320D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
The VERY worst thing any new rider can do is go straight through DAC and then jump on a 600 or worse still a litre bike - as most modern 600's now can easily do 160mph and in the wrong or inexperienced hands you will die very quickly.
I totally agree Steve. Very informed post!

Also, get some good quality gear and body armour. Don't be fooled by the heavy marketing in MCN or some of the 'Sale or return' dealerships around the country. I'd advise checking out reliable independent dealers if you can.
      04-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #42
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom

Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
I concur - never ever scrimp on your lid - buy the very best helmet you can afford - ive always bought Arai RX7R's but ive also got a couple of Shoei race reps - and a really good set of leathers is imperative if you ride sports bikes in my opinion - again only buy a reputable brand - i prefer the Kangaroo skin Arlen Ness Ti's because they fit so nice - NEVER ride without gloves even if going to the shops, you'll "de-skin" in seconds at anything over 20mph if you put your bare hands down in a fall - and finally invest in good boots that protect ankles and also prevent the foot bending the opposite way on impact etc. It will be expensive to kit yourself out properly but it could very well be the best money you ever spend - look at Shinya Nakano's crash at over 200mph where he landed on his head - i went straight out the next day and bought that Arai model - RX7RR!!
      04-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #43
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Matt, what mods to the Current bike (gixxer 1000..??) to get it past the Busa's 171bhp?
      04-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #44
MattOz
Captain
United Kingdom

Garage List
2006 BMW E60 M5  [0.00]
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Matt, what mods to the Current bike (gixxer 1000..??) to get it past the Busa's 171bhp?
Carl,

It's got a full Yoshi GP Force titanium and carbon system from a Japanese Superbike. Atsushi Watanabe's for those in the know. Power commander 3 with Crescent map and BMC air filter. Nothing too special really.

Matt
Appreciate 0