E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > why can't kids be kids ?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
jaye944
Second Lieutenant
Canada
297
Rep
292
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i cab msport
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

why can't kids be kids ?

So my daughter is 6, going on 7, she is usually pretty distracted, doesn't listen, usual stuff. Nothing really mental or disruptive.

So she has an agenda (diary) which comes back and forth.

So yesterday her teacher put a note in, advising that ML had been swinging the class ruler around her head, ignoring the teachers requests, then smacking it against the desk, finally bending it and breaking it.

When I saw the note my first reaction was too laugh and think damn I've done that. But seriously, where talking about 6 year olds, I know what I got up to when I was 6, or at least I was told.

But jeez between everyday homework, piano (which I teach her) her "activities" sports such as hockey and swimming, I gotta feel a tad sad for her. When I was 6 all I remember about school, was playing in the sandbox, pulling little girls pigtails and going home to play on my bike.

She goes to some stupid French Immersion school (against my better judgment) and she has been in some private schools, you know helicopter mums and the such.

Doctors checked her out and said, "Yep she's just a normal 6 year old" so I'm happy with that.

So now I gotta try and keep a straight face and dole out some punishment in front of mom.

Anyone else got kids in the same age zone ?
Appreciate 2
      09-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
Frank851
Admiral
60
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe, 2012 X5 3.5i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Rent a copy of the movie "Uncle Buck" with John Candy in it. He had the same problem in this movie with his Niece. Take notes while watching and then do the same thing that he did to the principal in the movie. I'll send you a quarter if you don't have one. Enjoy the movie and don't forget your cigar when you meet with the teacher.
Appreciate 5
      09-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
aozer
Second Lieutenant
aozer's Avatar
170
Rep
237
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I'm so glad I'm not a kid in this decade. Growing up with social media and all that bullshit would fucking suck.
      09-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
9375
Rep
18,752
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Yup.

If i got a cent for every time i tell my friends to let their kids be kids, i would have at least ten bucks by now.

We had a parent teacher meeting a few days ago. It went well, as always...

"your son doesn't pay attention in Finnish class."

"i can imagine."

"well, he needs to read with the rest of the group"

"okay, I'll let him know."

" i get that he has been reading for four years, but he needs to read with the class"

Thanks for nothing that my son sits on his place and reads real books for as long as you let him while others try to spell simple words, and cheers for the attitude!

Kids develope different skills at different times and it's like the teachers of today want them all fit a mold to make their jobs easier. I don't know what pisses me off more, them asking why my kid can do so many different things than others, or them not understanding that though he is ahead now, it means shit in two years. Their class has one horrible adhd/ add kid who is completely out of control, so much so that the moms started a chat group about how to get him out off the class. I have tried to tell them they are idiots, and that there is nothing wrong with that kid besides him getting bored since their steady learners hold him back too much, but naturally a medical reason is the only possibility they accept.

So don't worry about your kids, hold steady, try killing a few hobbies and give her a bike to fix like you had. If some helicopter mom is sure your kid has issues, it usually means you're doing something right.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I just love how I can derail all of your intellectual conversations for a short time with a one liner about bags of dicks
Appreciate 3
      09-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #5
nyalpine90
CAPPO
nyalpine90's Avatar
United_States
2306
Rep
10,146
Posts

Drives: '16 X4
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
I have a 1yr old, he likes remotes, music and fights his sleep.
he figured out how to open camera app while phone is locked.
hides his toys under tv stand or any tight spot lol
Appreciate 4
      09-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
twin fed
Doc Brown
twin fed's Avatar
408
Rep
1,765
Posts

Drives: 2016 MG MT M2
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Isle of Long

iTrader: (2)

Seriously, my 4yo has a work book in pre-K that cost me $150. WTF. Kids these days have got it rough. Way to much pressure at an early age.
__________________


Appreciate 3
      09-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
jaye944
Second Lieutenant
Canada
297
Rep
292
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i cab msport
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

cool I'm not the only one then

I've found schools are more interested in little things, but just brush over big things
( a long story) ML got stomped on by a bigger kid and got dragged back into said stomping by another child. When I say stomped on I mean she was physically jumped on, nothing happened except a "oh the child got a time out" (in her last school)

If you don't hand in homework on time, dont follow the right "kiss and ride" system, or you act like a kid, then the whole world falls apart.

When I was a kid, I'd get an occasional smack from a teacher, then my dad would doubly smack me, hahahah no such thing as child cruelty then.

But I never got these silly messages going back and forth.

I'm guessing a letter home meant you really f'ed up that day. Or my teacher would make a big book and totally embarrass my parents on PTA day lolz

Maybe I'll take her out for an ice cream and "do my duty" in front of mom

The note seriously made me laugh though
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
jaye944
Second Lieutenant
Canada
297
Rep
292
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i cab msport
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

I've formulate a note back to ML's teacher.

Dear Miss ..

Thank you for your kind note I must say it made me laugh and I started my day of with a smile.

I will be encouraging ML to continue being a 6 year old, after all we are all young once.

I shall do my duty as a father by taking her out for a celebratory ice-cream.

I would be rather notified if my daughter where to ever hit another student with said ruler and perhaps look at investing in an unbreakable ruler.
As the one that ML had was pretty unsafe !

Of course if this was for self defense (or a boy trying to kiss her) in which case she will get a free rein at toys-r-us

Signed

Daddy

Last edited by jaye944; 09-22-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Appreciate 1
Lups9375

      09-22-2017, 10:58 AM   #9
Fundguy1
Major General
Fundguy1's Avatar
1677
Rep
8,162
Posts

Drives: 335 e93
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, fl

iTrader: (0)

My 14 yr old was getting out of hand. Not respecting authority, rules, etc. I know that's normal but he was going way beyond what I did or his peers were doing. Now he's enjoying the fruits of his labors at Camden Military Academy. The lesson here is actions have consequences.
      09-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #10
Alfisti
Captain
341
Rep
678
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Too many activities IMHO. All kids need are other kids, a sport or art is fine but some kids are loaded to the gills at 6 with organised activities.

I firmly blame the mid-upper class mothers, neurotic to the core.
Appreciate 3
      09-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #11
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Dang3r's Avatar
Germany
744
Rep
1,135
Posts

Drives: RS 5
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Liandri Central Core

iTrader: (0)

Im not sure if this is the right way to put the own child into a bootcamp with the thoughts "that'll teach him/her".
But I understand that it costs lots of nerves to bring the kids as kids through their early years.
Question is, how would the late payback be for this?

Here into Germany in older times it was normal that every mom had the kids at home until at least their first 4 years and after that they had to go to the kindergarten before elementary school with 6.
Actually its normal to bring the kids with 6 months into a daytime group and both parents are have to working for the families live, the luxury times of having enough time for job and family are over.
Im glad that Im belonging to the older generation, my kids are going to be 23rd next year and going their own way. Times werent easy but enjoyable.
__________________
RS 5 - ZX12R LE - GPZ750 Turbo

I///M the infidel, your BMW-dealer has warned you about
Bobs' not your uncle and Trump is not my president!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #12
seedyrom
Private First Class
seedyrom's Avatar
Australia
101
Rep
134
Posts

Drives: M240i, ‘73 2002, ‘74 2002tii
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
When I was a kid, I'd get an occasional smack from a teacher, then my dad would doubly smack me, hahahah no such thing as child cruelty then.

But I never got these silly messages going back and forth.
Would you feel better if your teach gave her a smack for disruptive behaviour?
Would you have then given her two smacks?

Cause it doesn’t sound like it.
You talk of taking her to ice cream instead. It sounds like you are being an absolute hypocrite and the sort of person that these rules have been created for.
You’ve run to the internet to cry based on receiving a letter ... it doesn’t appear as though you’d take it very well if the school implemented the corporal punishment you talk about so fondly.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #13
kprocivic
Major
kprocivic's Avatar
465
Rep
1,203
Posts

Drives: ecoboost s to the t
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: 92346

iTrader: (7)

man by 6 years old I had already been suspended for inappropriately groping. she grabbed mine first but I got caught on the follow up. reminds me of the nfl.
__________________
2.0l ecosmackkaa
Appreciate 2
      09-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #14
jaye944
Second Lieutenant
Canada
297
Rep
292
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i cab msport
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

dude chillax,
you understand humor? I'm not crying about anything.

so this facepalm is just 4 u






Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyrom View Post
Would you feel better if your teach gave her a smack for disruptive behaviour?
Would you have then given her two smacks?

Cause it doesn’t sound like it.
You talk of taking her to ice cream instead. It sounds like you are being an absolute hypocrite and the sort of person that these rules have been created for.
You’ve run to the internet to cry based on receiving a letter ... it doesn’t appear as though you’d take it very well if the school implemented the corporal punishment you talk about so fondly.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #15
jaye944
Second Lieutenant
Canada
297
Rep
292
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i cab msport
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada, Ontario

iTrader: (0)



Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
man by 6 years old I had already been suspended for inappropriately groping. she grabbed mine first but I got caught on the follow up. reminds me of the nfl.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #16
Never_Enough
What car next?
Never_Enough's Avatar
United_States
260
Rep
1,431
Posts

Drives: MAZDASPEED6 & Jetta
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Biggest problem is most parents today are terrible parents. It starts in the home.
__________________
2006 MAZDASPEED6 GT
2017 Jetta
2007 335xi - 12.9 @ 109 MPH SOLD!
      09-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #17
jaye944
Second Lieutenant
Canada
297
Rep
292
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i cab msport
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

at 14, your getting into a different area, also you have the hormones kicking in,
so I'm at a different stage, but I hear ya, lot of people have gone down your route

Sometimes the tough love aspect works,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
My 14 yr old was getting out of hand. Not respecting authority, rules, etc. I know that's normal but he was going way beyond what I did or his peers were doing. Now he's enjoying the fruits of his labors at Camden Military Academy. The lesson here is actions have consequences.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #18
Fundguy1
Major General
Fundguy1's Avatar
1677
Rep
8,162
Posts

Drives: 335 e93
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orlando, fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Im not sure if this is the right way to put the own child into a bootcamp with the thoughts "that'll teach him/her".
But I understand that it costs lots of nerves to bring the kids as kids through their early years.
Question is, how would the late payback be for this?

Here into Germany in older times it was normal that every mom had the kids at home until at least their first 4 years and after that they had to go to the kindergarten before elementary school with 6.
Actually its normal to bring the kids with 6 months into a daytime group and both parents are have to working for the families live, the luxury times of having enough time for job and family are over.
Im glad that Im belonging to the older generation, my kids are going to be 23rd next year and going their own way. Times werent easy but enjoyable.
When you have a 14 yr old who won't follow the rules, you try grounding him, taking away phone, tv, game console, etc and he doesn't stop, the cops hsve to arrest him 4 times, he runs away 6 times, is caught sleeping with 4 girls in their early 20s, eith pot, and trys acid, you take more extreme measures. He does get excellent grades though.
Appreciate 2
      09-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #19
jaye944
Second Lieutenant
Canada
297
Rep
292
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i cab msport
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Agreed, problem is, they don't come with a workshop manual.
and we tend to parent how we've been parented to.

So I probably wont be using the chained in a dark room for mine

oh if Childrens Aid is reading this, I'm JOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Biggest problem is most parents today are terrible parents. It starts in the home.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #20
seedyrom
Private First Class
seedyrom's Avatar
Australia
101
Rep
134
Posts

Drives: M240i, ‘73 2002, ‘74 2002tii
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
dude chillax,
you understand humor? I'm not crying about anything.
Humour is meant to be funny


My question still stands.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #21
jaye944
Second Lieutenant
Canada
297
Rep
292
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i cab msport
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

txs for sharing that man, thats a damn hard gig to turn around....
at 14 your man at everything, everyone and have a boner 23.5hours a day

mind you gotta give him props with the 4 way, that's epic

Glad you got him turned around that's our responsibility as parents



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
When you have a 14 yr old who won't follow the rules, you try grounding him, taking away phone, tv, game console, etc and he doesn't stop, the cops hsve to arrest him 4 times, he runs away 6 times, is caught sleeping with 4 girls in their early 20s, eith pot, and trys acid, you take more extreme measures. He does get excellent grades though.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #22
jaye944
Second Lieutenant
Canada
297
Rep
292
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i cab msport
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada, Ontario

iTrader: (0)



Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyrom View Post
Humour is meant to be funny


My question still stands.
Appreciate 1
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST