E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Drag Racing is Like Drugs

04-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #23
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
When running, the 335i is very fun on a track.
That's the kicker. It won't last on the track. I'm not even that hardcore yet so maybe I'll give the 335 a few track days to see how well it goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #24
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhn1 View Post
It is hard to say whether I should be doing a 2nd gear launch or not. My 6th run, I did a 1st gear launch with brake torquing to only 1200rpm but I had a launch with no wheel spin at all through the 60'. Sure enough, I still only get a 2.158 60' time.

My issue tonight was not because of the initial launch (1200 or 1500 rpm brake torquing and releasing does not cause it to spin) as I hooked perfectly every time on the holeshot. But as the boost rapidly kicks in and I get about 30' into the strip, I've already rolled the throttle too far and cause massive wheel spin before the shift to 2nd, which I continue to spin. Ideally, I would back off to stop the wheel spin and try to keep my tires on the edge of adhesion. Does not work with this car. My 5th run, I had rolled the throttle so slowly with wheel spin still and the tranny decided to shortshift to 2nd. Killed my start but I had to keep it that way to not slide across the track.

I conclude that it is most likely the track being dusty and dirty as others were having the same exact problem that I did. In addition, I'll be needing real slicks as those that had them could launch perfectly fine (1.5-1.6s 60's).
one word, 3 letters: LSD (and i donīt mean the drug)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #25
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
That's the kicker. It won't last on the track. I'm not even that hardcore yet so maybe I'll give the 335 a few track days to see how well it goes.

imho, for the circuit track you will need at least:
tune, upgraded IC and OC, and methanol injection would help to keep temps down. a circuit track map would help also from what i have heard.

and of course the right supension, tire and possible rim mods

and that is just the car
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #26
Septro
Banned
Rep

Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
tune, upgraded IC and OC, and methanol injection would help to keep temps down. a circuit track map would help also from what i have heard.

and that is just the car
You forgot the most expensive mod.. BRAKES!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #27
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Heh...it was late and that was the only thing that came to me. Since I don't use anything, and I was trying to keep up with the drug theme of the title....
A 45 minute track session is just what the doctor ordered.

Quote:
The car does fine after you upgrade the fuel pump, wastegates and brakes.

Quote:

and that is just the car
You don't need all of that, well maybe an upgraded oil cooler and tire/wheel combo.
      04-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #28
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

I'll be staying away from meth.

Just some tires and wheels will what I'll be investing in. Then upgraded oil cooler, and possibly a tranny cooler if they make one. I'll be turning down the power on the tune to save my brakes and tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #29
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

i ran my 335 at the track once... car was bone stock then except for an ugraded IC.
after only about 15 minutes, my car started to run slower and seemed ready to limp (power abruptly cut off for a split second).
my oil temp was over 280 !!

i pulled in and and decided right there and then to buy and mod an e36 for the track (which i did).
fwiw, believe it or not, i save my e93 for drag races only... it does pretty good up here in high elevation.

i believe high oil and water temps are the problem with the 335 on a circuit track:
that is why i listed everything that would keep you oil and water temps cooler.

yea septro - i forgot about brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #30
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post

The car does fine after you upgrade the fuel pump, wastegates and brakes.
how do you upgrade the fuel pump ??? no one makes an upgrade - yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #31
canrhea
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Point taken. That's why I'm considering trading up to a GT-R, GT3, or maybe a 997TT for some track fun. The 335i feels like it needs quite a few more mods before it can really be my worthy weekend track car.
yea but half the fun is modding your car and knowing what your car use to be and what it is now
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #32
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
I'll be staying away from meth.

Just some tires and wheels will what I'll be investing in. Then upgraded oil cooler, and possibly a tranny cooler if they make one. I'll be turning down the power on the tune to save my brakes and tires.
i would turn down the tune only to save the motor.
to hell with the brakes and tires.. wanna play? gotta pay.

btw, i love the GTR.. it and a ZR1 vette are probably the only cars i could prefer over my e93.
... but i will wait for these 2 cars to come out in topless form first.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #33
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
how do you upgrade the fuel pump ??? no one makes an upgrade - yet.

I should have clarified. Upgrade = latest and greatest BMW fuel pump.

Sarcasm is intended.
      04-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #34
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep

Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

116's with just a tune and gas.. WOW.......

119 with all bolt ons and tune and gas. WOW........

Great times. Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #35
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

Quote:
i would turn down the tune only to save the motor.
to hell with the brakes and tires.. wanna play? gotta pay.

btw, i love the GTR.. it and a ZR1 vette are probably the only cars i could prefer over my e93.
... but i will wait for these 2 cars to come out in topless form first.
Topless form? That's like adding crutches to a car. Then again I'm not a big fan of convertible cars.

I've been eyeing 2 GT-Rs, a 2009 and a 2010. So tempting to pick one up. I'm sure they will twist my arm into buying one but we will see.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #36
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Topless form? That's like adding crutches to a car. Then again I'm not a big fan of convertible cars.

I've been eyeing 2 GT-Rs, a 2009 and a 2010. So tempting to pick one up. I'm sure they will twist my arm into buying one but we will see.
If you do get a GTR, I have a friend you'd prob like to meet. His GTR only does a lowly 10.5. 9s could be around the corner......
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #37
GGreek5
Olimpiakos
Greece
Rep

Drives: M3

OP- Sick numbers man!! Cant wait to hit up the track. Its finally open!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #38
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:

in my book, nothing beats a convertible... sure it is 350 pounds heavier

what does that mean? that only means i need to have about 30 more horses than you to wave goodbye and pull away

btw, good luck with getting a gtr... what are they asking? where i am (cars are incredibly expensive) it would take about 190 grand to get one.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #39
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
If you do get a GTR, I have a friend you'd prob like to meet. His GTR only does a lowly 10.5. 9s could be around the corner......
Sounds like the 10.5 sec GT-R is John with Samurai Speed? Awesome times and glad he fixed his tranny.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #40
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exidisjon View Post
116's with just a tune and gas.. WOW.......

119 with all bolt ons and tune and gas. WOW........

Great times. Thanks for sharing
I actually think I can increase the mph with some better traction and more air in the tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #41
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

Quote:
in my book, nothing beats a convertible... sure it is 350 pounds heavier

what does that mean? that only means i need to have about 30 more horses than you to wave goodbye and pull away

btw, good luck with getting a gtr... what are they asking? where i am (cars are incredibly expensive) it would take about 190 grand to get one.
They are about 75-80k USD + taxes + fees over here assuming you don't have to pay over MSRP. Cobb Accessport and some simple bolt ons turn those things into a monster. AWD is something I really prefer with the power.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #42
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Sounds like the 10.5 sec GT-R is John with Samurai Speed? Awesome times and glad he fixed his tranny.
Yes you are correct. Good to see you already know him, he's meddled with that car more than anyone.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #43
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
They are about 75-80k USD + taxes + fees over here assuming you don't have to pay over MSRP. Cobb Accessport and some simple bolt ons turn those things into a monster. AWD is something I really prefer with the power.

sounds good.

i plan on trying to get one (and keep my 335) in about 2 years.
by then - if u do not mind - you and some other nuts can then tell me how best to mod it

sound like a plan?

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #44
brianhn1
Slow Mo
Rep

Quote:
sounds good.

i plan on trying to get one (and keep my 335) in about 2 years.
by then - if u do not mind - you and some other nuts can then tell me how best to mod it

sound like a plan?

LOL sounds like a plan if I pick one up. Still debating.
Appreciate 0